Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DaveWoo posted:

Well sure, and Obama himself even mentioned that tonight. But the big difference is in the visions being offered - Obama offered a vision of hope and a full-throated defense of democracy and American values, while Trump last week offered a vision of fear and despair.

Not only this, but also that Trump is running for the party that doesn't actually want to help those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There is something truly wrong in the world where the Democrats give the patriotic speech.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
trump's vision of america is basically a reflection of his own life so it's no wonder he sees it as a bumbling weak-kneed joke cringing away from enemies on every side

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was worried this afternoon, but I think everything will be okay after all.

God, I'm going to miss Obama.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

DaveWoo posted:

Well sure, and Obama himself even mentioned that tonight. But the big difference is in the visions being offered - Obama offered a vision of hope and a full-throated defense of democracy and American values, while Trump last week offered a vision of fear and despair.

Hence my hasty edit :v:

We really, really can't forget that a lot of people are hurting, though. The surest way to preserve our democracy is to treat the source of their pain, which is their chronic joblessness, their poverty and their feelings of worthlessness.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

sarmhan posted:

There is something truly wrong in the world where the Democrats give the patriotic speech.

As Berke of DaDchat is fond of saying, this is the, the darkest timeline.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

In all seriousness, it's usually a cumulative dose thing. You can't maintain knowing misrepresentations that effectively.

Well, Rush can. But Rush is a genius and the granddaddy to all these schlemiels.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Trump's speech vs Obama's was like a three year old boxing vintage Tyson.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sarmhan posted:

No love for FDR/JFK?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Night10194 posted:

I was worried this afternoon, but I think everything will be okay after all.

God, I'm going to miss Obama.

So will we all. I can't wait until the Republicans that spent the last eight years denouncing him as the Anti-Christ retroactively turn him into "one of the good ones" as opposed to mean old Clinton when she wins and Cheeto-man storms off with half their remaining base.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

sarmhan posted:

Patriotism involves more than screaming for the slaughter of brown people.

(A fact I wish the men who authorize our constant drone strikes would remember.)

Even if I'm jaundiced on politics and quite possibly a usually-quiet misanthrope, Obama's speech tonight was pretty much the most positive example of American patriotism we've had in quite a long time.

Ah, but for a few more years with a cooperative congress...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sarmhan posted:

Republican patriotism has been negative, fake and designed to capitalize on primal, unreasoning fear for at least half a century

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

sarmhan posted:

As has been said before, they don't own patriotism. They can keep bullshit cowboy bluster, but not patriotism.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SedanChair posted:

Well, Rush can. But Rush is a genius and the granddaddy to all these schlemiels.

Riush had a moment of breaking character today and more or less admitted how charming Bill was last night

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SpaceDrake posted:

The problem is, Bill's 8 years feel relatively uneventful compared to everything which brackets it. Reagan and Bush Elder get credit for the Soviet fall, and then the hell that was Bush Younger has dominated the early part of this new century, and then B-rock The Islamic Shock happened.

Bill's years shouldn't be forgotten (how quickly we forget it was a homegrown right wing terrorist who was the greatest single murderer America had known prior to 2001) but everything around them is so monumental that it's easy to gloss them over.

Speaking as someone who came up during the (first) Clinton years, and was able to vote for him in '96 but didn't because he was a ninny who didn't register in time, the problem with Bill is that Obama is the successful version of the Bill Clinton Presidency. Obama got the ACA passed, Obama did not have his second term crippled by scandal, Obama killed Bin Laden. Bill had the tools to be a great President, but frittered them away ending welfare as we know it, ending the era of big government, repealing Glass-Steagell, and just generally coasting on the first tech bubble. Don't get me wrong, I miss the Nineties, but Obama's been the better President.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bernie' has won me back with his humility and grace this week.

He's a good guy in a vacuum, but someone with his tenure knows you can't unring a bell and he rung it like hell anyway just to keep the spotlight on himself for a few extra weeks after even a tie became impossible. He's a Senator who got a very impressive following during the primary and the vast vast majority of that following stuck with him and followed his lead in quiet dignity and grace. It's a murky dichotomy because the Bernie of the convention has been the most grateful runner-up and has been willing to participate more than is customary in order to reach for closer unity, but the Bernie of the spring basically told a bunch of doe-eyed impressionable newbies that Hillary and the DNC took victory from them personally. It's a loving primary, save the cheating allegations for the guy asking Russia to run interference for you in the general. He absolutely knew better, he did it anyway, and it's utterly reprehensible.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Guys! Apparently Trump just posted their opposition research on their website:
Check this woman's twitter for the leaks (?)
https://twitter.com/christinawilkie

going to cross-post to USPOL.

Svanja fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 28, 2016

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Oh poo poo Hillary Clinton just announced all merch is five dollars for a limited time!
She's in my house!

Is there a coupon code or something? I just looked on her site and everything is normal prices.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
Hillary is going to make abortion mandatory.
And she's going to make BABIES pay for it.
:v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sarmhan posted:

Democrats have given lots of patriotic speeches. The Republicans give nationalistic speeches and yes there's a difference.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Riush had a moment of breaking character today and more or less admitted how charming Bill was last night

Is Rush still quick to point out he likes Bill Clinton's presidency because it gave him massive ratings (and money)?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

Obama actually says something other than ego-polishing non-answers and appeals to naked bigotry. He also seems to have an idea what the problems actually are rather than blaming everyone brown.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Obama, when you consider the complete and utter lack of cooperation he received from his opposition in congress, is quite possibly the greatest president we've ever known. It's unfair to compare him to other executives, because even in the greatest depths of their partisan rancor, they still got something from the other side. Nixon got to play his games because he cleaned up the environment. Reagan raised taxes so he could blow his load on the Soviets. Obama gave everything and got nothing.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is Rush still quick to point out he likes Bill Clinton's presidency because it gave him massive ratings (and money)?
Wouldn't he be a nobody if he didn't have Bill Clinton to bitch about in the first place?
Yeah I'm hating hard but hey rush is basically slytherin.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Democrats have given lots of patriotic speeches. The Republicans give nationalistic speeches and yes there's a difference.

Point Taken.
I guess what I really meant was- I've never seen someone thoroughly show the divide between Trump and previous conservative politicians.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I missed the speeches tonight. How were they?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Convention is cool

Democrats are cool

America is cool

I thought we were a misogynistic society though?

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

Good and funny. Mostly.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Speaking as someone who came up during the (first) Clinton years, and was able to vote for him in '96 but didn't because he was a ninny who didn't register in time, the problem with Bill is that Obama is the successful version of the Bill Clinton Presidency. Obama got the ACA passed, Obama did not have his second term crippled by scandal, Obama killed Bin Laden. Bill had the tools to be a great President, but frittered them away ending welfare as we know it, ending the era of big government, repealing Glass-Steagell, and just generally coasting on the first tech bubble. Don't get me wrong, I miss the Nineties, but Obama's been the better President.

Oh, as someone who grew up and reached full political awareness during the full Bill tenure (and grew up in a Bill-voting household), believe me, I largely agree with that assessment. It's just that there are still events that occurred during the Bill presidency that I wish hadn't been so wholly overshadowed by the World Trade Center attacks and America's newfound unending hatred of Muslims and people of Arabian descent.

I mean, I can't be the only one who remembers those few years when everyone was rightly concerned that the greatest terrorist threat to our country was growing in our own backyards, and which proved to be true at the cost of 168 lives, including a couple dozen kids. We've largely ignored that lesson since and hundreds have died to largely gun-related terrorism as a result.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

PostNouveau posted:

Some of the best I've ever heard.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Geostomp posted:

Obama actually says something other than ego-polishing non-answers and appeals to naked bigotry. He also seems to have an idea what the problems actually are rather than blaming everyone brown.

That's because Obama keeps blaming everyone who's white. :freep:

He's not wrong though

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Biden owned
Kaine was America's Goofy Dad
Obama gave one of his absolute best speeches

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

Biden owned
Kaine was America's Goofy Dad
Obama gave one of his absolute best speeches
And as a surprise to everyone Bloomberg did something good.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I thought we were a misogynistic society though?

No, it's you that's misogynistic.

Society is about a group of people coming together for a common purpose... hopefully that purpose in November is making GBS threads all over misogynistic asshats.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Casimir Radon posted:

Only soured by the fact that he is, upon last examination, still Bloomberg.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Obama, when you consider the complete and utter lack of cooperation he received from his opposition in congress, is quite possibly the greatest president we've ever known. It's unfair to compare him to other executives, because even in the greatest depths of their partisan rancor, they still got something from the other side. Nixon got to play his games because he cleaned up the environment. Reagan raised taxes so he could blow his load on the Soviets. Obama gave everything and got nothing.

How many presidents have ever had to face opposition that was so determined to bring him down that they actually supported demands to see his birth certificate and completely shut down the government for no reason other than showing off to their base? Getting anything at all done was practically a miracle.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pictures: Someone's grandma, two presidents

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah, Bloomberg's speech was surprisingly decent, probably because he basically unloaded on Donald Trump from the point of view of an Actual Billionaire, which was the point probably. He was still a poo poo but at least he was aimed the right way I suppose.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Quorum posted:

Yeah, Bloomberg's speech was surprisingly decent, probably because he basically unloaded on Donald Trump from the point of view of an Actual Billionaire, which was the point probably. He was still a poo poo but at least he was aimed the right way I suppose.
He and Obama, in very different ways, delivered the idea that Trump is completely out of touch with everyone, even his own party.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

sarmhan posted:

He and Obama, in very different ways, delivered the idea that Trump is completely out of touch with everyone, even his own party.

When will his party learn that? Or will they bend?
It's disingenuous to call it that even, it's like weapons-grade stockholm syndrome.
:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

sarmhan posted:

He might be out of touch with the establishment elements of the GOP, but Trump really is speaking to the sordid base and white america as a whole.

• Locked thread