Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He's probably sincere in his bad ideas but also knows he cannot stand on them by their own merits so he is deliberately saying things as obnoxiously as possible so he can brag about "owning the hivemind"

this is literally the case, he was hated and laughed out of pretty much every other forum in the last six months so now he's tripled down on being horrible to make it all look deliberate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

:allears: You realize that for profit prisons made incentives in order to increase profitability.

For someone that preaches about the Free Market, you sure do seem to have a very thin grasp of why it bad in government and justice.

Don't forget that Libertarians are willing to sabotage the value of the dollar because "Gold will be worth everything any day now!". They don't actually give a gently caress about competition even in the truest sense.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
:kheldragar:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's why everytime one of these types show up its important to challenge them to propose specific policy instead of going "drones bad" or "weed good"

I'm still going to bang on about "drones bad", though, because it is actually awful policy that hurts too many innocents and is very dubious vis-a-vis actually making us safer. :colbert:

That last one is a thing of beauty and I'm sad I was slow with my own riposte

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm still going to bang on about "drones bad", though, because it is actually awful policy that hurts too many innocents and is very dubious vis-a-vis actually making us safer. :colbert:

What should be done instead?

Drones are a serious moral quagmire but we need to have productive alternatives beyond just wishing we didn't use drones.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What should be done instead?

Drones are a serious moral quagmire but we need to have productive alternatives beyond just wishing we didn't use drones.

Maybe stop being a bunch of militant fuckheads using robots to drop bombs on countries thousands of miles away for no particularly good reason

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Maybe stop being a bunch of militant fuckheads using robots to drop bombs on countries thousands of miles away for no particularly good reason

Ok, what do you propose should be the boundaries of acceptable use of military drones? Specifically.

What points should use of ground forces replace the use of drone forces? If drones are shown to be statistically less likely to cause civilian harm than an equivalent use of ground forces, should they still be refused on moral principle?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Another response to that Lowry guy's tweet: it was never 'yours' alone. It belongs to all Americans. Jesus I'm British and I can see that.

I wonder how many people think Reagan came up with the shining city on a hill quote, and not colonists who lived here centuries earlier.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trump campaign begs its supporters not to watch Hillary's speech tonight

quote:

President Obama's prime time speech lifted the Democratic convention to its third straight night of ratings wins over the Republican convention last week -- and now the Trump campaign is exhorting supporters not to watch the Democrats' final night.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok, what do you propose should be the boundaries of acceptable use of military drones? Specifically.

What points should use of ground forces replace the use of drone forces? If drones are shown to be statistically less likely to cause civilian harm than an equivalent use of ground forces, should they still be refused on moral principle?

It's not the use of drones in and of itself so much as it is how they are being used. But I said it: stop. Stop using them. Stop bombing places. Stop interfering in other governments.

The height of arrogance is that the Democrats are crying foul that the Russians would dare interfere in our elections when we have literal written proof that the administration was working to overthrow a foreign government, as indirectly as possible.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But I said it: stop. Stop using them. Stop bombing places. Stop interfering in other governments.

How does the United States quickly extricate itself from military obligations to allies, plus the moral obligation to prop up regions previous administrations de-stablized?

Are you suggesting the moral answer to the Middle East is to say "Yeah, our previous president hosed you guys over but you're on your own now byyyyyeeee"

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The US refusal to take any action regarding the genocide in Rwanda was the most moral decision possible, just followed by the French reluctance to engage with the RPF forces that overthrew the legitimate genocidal government.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How does the United States quickly extricate itself from military obligations to allies, plus the moral obligation to prop up regions previous administrations de-stablized?

Are you suggesting the moral answer to the Middle East is to say "Yeah, our previous president hosed you guys over but you're on your own now byyyyyeeee"

He's going to make up words that sound like he isn't, but he actually is. He is programmed to think opposite of logic and rationale. Like, he is for real trying to shift blame away from someone who has pretty much incited cyber-espionage on his own country.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I wonder how many people think Reagan came up with the shining city on a hill quote, and not colonists who lived here centuries earlier.
Its origin is actually the Bible, but yeah, the first use in the Americas was by colonists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_upon_a_Hill

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

who exactly

what alliance are we honoring by overthrowing the Libyan government?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

who exactly

what alliance are we honoring by overthrowing the Libyan government?

The Middle East is larger than Libya

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lord Binky posted:

Young Hillary was definitely dreamy

edit: Caption says 1969, which makes her 22 so you don't have to worry about the FBI raiding the chat room.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 28, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Middle East is larger than Libya

you are not this dense, are you? You really got nothing? Just admit you are a warhawk and I'll be happy to leave this be, but otherwise you're just not making a lick of sense now.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

you are not this dense, are you? You really got nothing? Just admit you are a warhawk and I'll be happy to leave this be, but otherwise you're just not making a lick of sense now.

Should the US have offered support to the Haitian War of Independence?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I guess the question is at what point do we stop doubling/tripling/quadrupling down on interventionist ME policy that actively makes the world a worse place.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Maaaaaybe a little too young there, man.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Um. Pretty sure she's younger than 18 there...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

:salt:

Trump can't take the fact that DNC is just more interesting than his shitshow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Um. Pretty sure she's younger than 18 there...

IDK, the caption said it was in college.

edit: Caption says 1969, which makes her 22 so you don't have to worry about the FBI raiding the chat room.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 28, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

go3 posted:

I guess the question is at what point do we stop doubling/tripling/quadrupling down on interventionist ME policy that actively makes the world a worse place.

Well obviously. I mean, we need to put a hard limit on expansion of military activity, and Libya was an extreme and inexcusable mistake, but "pull out and become isolationist" is not a practical strategy. We cannot de-stabilize a region and then pull out and call it ethical. Quite frankly, we morally owe Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya significant financial and political support because the vast majority of their problems are our fault. I do not think leaving them to their own devices is the moral solution. We need to be available and willing to be a stabilizing force at the behest of the government there, and equally willing to get the gently caress out when they tell us to get the gently caress out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All this appreciation for young Hillary forgets about the part where she tells you about her love of Henry Kissinger.

It's interesting that the Democrats wanted what Bloomberg had to offer (a rich guy with a business putting his name on everything, talking about what Trump's reputation among other businesspeople) that they were willing to pay the price of letting him bitch on stage about how Democrats won't get behind his school privatization.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Hooooooooly poo poo that is some grade-A desperation. This general is going to be loving incredible :magical:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

All this appreciation for young Hillary forgets about the part where she tells you about her love of Henry Kissinger.

It's interesting that the Democrats wanted what Bloomberg had to offer (a rich guy with a business putting his name on everything, talking about what Trump's reputation among other businesspeople) that they were willing to pay the price of letting him bitch on stage about how Democrats won't get behind his school privatization.

If that's all he loving gets and every other speaker is the opposite that's fine. Economic conservatives are timid and need to be coddled constantly.

Trump and his campaign are a joke and it's embarrassing as a country he is doing as well as he is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

seems counterproductive, since Hillary herself is going to be the most uncertain performance of the night

the content of her speeches isn't bad but her delivery is downright animatronic

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well obviously. I mean, we need to put a hard limit on expansion of military activity, and Libya was an extreme and inexcusable mistake, but "pull out and become isolationist" is not a practical strategy. We cannot de-stabilize a region and then pull out and call it ethical. Quite frankly, we morally owe Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya significant financial and political support because the vast majority of their problems are our fault. I do not think leaving them to their own devices is the moral solution. We need to be available and willing to be a stabilizing force at the behest of the government there, and equally willing to get the gently caress out when they tell us to get the gently caress out.

also isolationism does not have a good track record of pretty much anything ever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm sure Clinton will practice the hell out of her speech but she just isn't good at speeches. She's going to seem a lot worse after last night's brutal lineup.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lmao that's just sad

Please, Give Us Time To Pull Obama's Shoe Out Of Our Asses, Holy poo poo Where Did That Come From

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Oxxidation posted:

seems counterproductive, since Hillary herself is going to be the most uncertain performance of the night

Trump just can't stand someone else being the center of attention. He'd rather advocate national security crimes than be ignored.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Hillary is gonna be swapped out at the last second with Kate McKinnon Hillary

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sean10mm posted:

Trump just can't stand someone else being the center of attention. He'd rather advocate national security crimes than be ignored.

That's almost certainly why he did it. Whenever the spotlight is off him, he'll do something insane or desperate to try to get it back, harmful or no.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Clinton will practice the hell out of her speech but she just isn't good at speeches. She's going to seem a lot worse after last night's brutal lineup.

well the best possible speech she could make has already been made so anything else will seem disappointing by comparison

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

I mean sure, let him bitch all he wants. The only person there super on board was probably Cory Booker. Tim is a huge public school advocate, Hillary has personally gone after private schools for chatting. Bloomberg is entitled to his opinion.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

If that's all he loving gets and every other speaker is the opposite that's fine. Economic conservatives are timid and need to be coddled constantly.

They need to be mocked, ignored and their money thrown on the ground. It's a disproven ideology and the sooner we stop pretending it has even the slightest value, the better.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

She needs one of these:

I'm sure it'll be a solid speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hillary won't have the charisma that Obama had (and I think that's probably a huge reason why she lost to him), and orating isn't her strong point.

What she is good at, is debating, because she knows her poo poo. It's going to be a sight to behold when she debates Trump, and he tries to ad-lib a bunch of "lying crooked Hillary" stuff whereas she actually explains Middle Eastern policy.

• Locked thread