Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Air is lava! posted:

No, it's even better. He convinced himself, that it was a false flag operation to prove that female oriented comics are always awful. In other words Marvel produced an awful book, just to point at it whenever someone demands something more progressive.

Needless to say, that opinion is wrong in pretty much every imaginable way.

What are you talking about? Dan Slott has nothing to do with this at all. It was SirDan3k the poster in this very thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is SirDan3k actually Dan Slott and this is my way of finding out, what is going on here

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

X-O posted:

What are you talking about? Dan Slott has nothing to do with this at all. It was SirDan3k the poster in this very thread.

Sorry, I clarified my post. Who is Dan Slott and why does everyone think that I'm talking about him?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Air is lava! posted:

Sorry, I clarified my post. Who is Dan Slott and why does everyone think that I'm talking about him?

Spider-Man writer for the past like...10 years now. He just won't let go of Spidey.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm sorry for shortening the name of SirDan3K and causing this confusion. It shall not happen again and apologies for Dan Slott blocking us all on twitter after his 10th vanity search of his own name today.

Assuming anyone here isn't blocked already for having opinions of Spiderman on Twitter.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't get why Squirrel Girl causes so much drama with people. Like, I don't find it funny, and think the art is hideous looking, but it's really inoffensive to me.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I really liked his writing at first but now I'm sick of him. I'm waiting for someone else to take over before I buy another Spider-Man comic. Unless he miraculously does something that draws me back in, which I doubt but I'm not entirely ruling it out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The current Amazing Spider-Man comics have all been really mediocre to me. The best thing I can say about it is that it ironically reminds me of Len Wein's run on Blue Beetle.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

DrProsek posted:

He's in the better Inhumans book, Uncanny Inhumans. He's working on a cure to the problem Mutants have with the Terrigen mists. He's not really into Medusa, but there is someone else in UI that's into Medusa.
Beast has barely done anything in Uncanny Inhumans. I'm struggling to recall if he's appeared in the last five issues at all.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

BrianWilly posted:

Beast has barely done anything in Uncanny Inhumans. I'm struggling to recall if he's appeared in the last five issues at all.

Not that I recall. He talked a bit to the team in issue 1 and occasionally tags along for team-leaping-to-action shots, but he hasnt had any involvement in the plot.

I would not be surprised if he was included out of some kind of show of "Inhumans are not replacing mutants, look at them being chill with Beast!", and then Soule just didn't have any plotlines planned for him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

He had a great bit in the very first arc. Kang the Conqueror and Ahura Boltagon (long story) are going around in the past killing Inhumans' ancestors so in the middle of a conference, Gorgon just disappears from existence, and Beast is the only one who notices, explicitly because time travel related shenanigans are like just another day at the office when you're an X-Man (and especially for Beast, current master dumbass of loving with time). Then he deploys a little force bubble device to keep everyone in the room from being Marty McFly'd, because again, he's hosed with time enough to actually plan for countermeasures in case someone decided to kill him in the past.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TwoPair posted:

He had a great bit in the very first arc. Kang the Conqueror and Ahura Boltagon (long story) are going around in the past killing Inhumans' ancestors so in the middle of a conference, Gorgon just disappears from existence, and Beast is the only one who notices, explicitly because time travel related shenanigans are like just another day at the office when you're an X-Man (and especially for Beast, current master dumbass of loving with time). Then he deploys a little force bubble device to keep everyone in the room from being Marty McFly'd, because again, he's hosed with time enough to actually plan for countermeasures in case someone decided to kill him in the past.

Maybe Kang is young Beast.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

TwoPair posted:

Then he deploys a little force bubble device to keep everyone in the room from being Marty McFly'd, because again, he's hosed with time enough to actually plan for countermeasures in case someone decided to kill him in the past.

He has doctorates in Time-Fuckery AND Chrono-Fuckery.

I love how the X-Men held an intervention to tell him to back off on the super science, and they don't even know about the poo poo he got up to with the Illuminati.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

The current Amazing Spider-Man comics have all been really mediocre to me. The best thing I can say about it is that it ironically reminds me of Len Wein's run on Blue Beetle.

It's actually an improvement! I was ready for a new writer years ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Soonmot posted:

It's actually an improvement! I was ready for a new writer years ago.

Woah, did Dan Slott finally release his death grip on Spider-man? I stop paying attention for a couple months...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well he is basically writing Iron man, he just happens to dress like Spidey.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Roth posted:

I don't get why Squirrel Girl causes so much drama with people. Like, I don't find it funny, and think the art is hideous looking, but it's really inoffensive to me.
If everyone on the Internet was like you, the world would be a better place.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Largely because this is the internet, and one group is insistent that the art is bad and you shouldn't read it, and the other side is insistent that the art is actually great and you should read it, with neither side willing to just let the other read/not read the comic.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The art is kind of bad, but you should read it, it's very entertaining! I mean, you don't have to, "should" is a figure of speech in this case. But, it's cool and good.

Can't categorize me! :smug:

(I tried a somewhat similar tack with the Xbox One and see what it got me.)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Woah, did Dan Slott finally release his death grip on Spider-man? I stop paying attention for a couple months...

No, he's still writing it. It's just improved from aggressively bad to aggressively mediocre.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The best way to read Squirrel Girl is to flip open the cover and just enjoy all the sweet twitter jokes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I got to attend a Black Panther book club yesterday which Ta-Nehisi Coates showed up to because my LCS is the best LCS.

He's very tall, I don't know if you knew that.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

WAR FOOT posted:

Largely because this is the internet, and one group is insistent that the art is bad and you shouldn't read it, and the other side is insistent that the art is actually great and you should read it, with neither side willing to just let the other read/not read the comic.

That pretty much sums it up. Heck even just commenting "I (don't) like it" or "I think the art is (good/bad)" and moving on to another topic will get the one side defending their stance with fanatical zeal even after the topic changed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If people hate the art in Squirrel Girl, then i would hate to think of how they would react if they saw Chris Bachalo or Humberto Ramos art.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Oasx posted:

If people hate the art in Squirrel Girl, then i would hate to think of how they would react if they saw Chris Bachalo or Humberto Ramos art.

It's weird, becasue I love those two! Not a huge fan of Squirrel Girl's art.

Am... I a monster!:ohdear:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Nope, I am the same boat. Love Bachalo and Ramos, the SG art is fine but nothing I would rave about.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I am not saying that they are bad, but they both have a very stylistic art style. Compared to how different some of the main stream Marvel artists are, the art in Squirrelgirl just doesn't seem very controversial.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Lemme just say that I love both Squirrel Girl and Ryan North.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

The best way to read Squirrel Girl is to flip open the cover and just enjoy all the sweet twitter jokes.

This is true. Without those I wouldn't know that Iron Man enjoyed dank memes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

This is true. Without those I wouldn't know that Iron Man enjoyed dank memes.

Tony Stark made the first dank memes... in a cave! With a box of scraps!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I guess I have to go reread the entirety of Mockingbird because, as far as I can tell, issue 5 didn't exactly stun me with some crazy revelation that tied everything together.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

I guess I have to go reread the entirety of Mockingbird because, as far as I can tell, issue 5 didn't exactly stun me with some crazy revelation that tied everything together.

Yeah me too. It's a great book but issue 3 I had the impression that it was an unrelated filler issue after they had been upgraded to ongoing.

Or maybe it was just supposed to be 5 issues that low key work in any order rather than a WHAT A TWIST.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I love Jason Aaron's dedication to using Oubilette. Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy ending with her shooting up Disney World is even funnier with Disney owning Marvel. Right up there with Howard the Duck wearing pants still.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soonmot posted:

No, he's still writing it. It's just improved from aggressively bad to aggressively mediocre.

Also Gerry frickin' Conway is going to be writing a Spider-Man story which is a follow up to Renew Your Vows, so there's finally a viable alternative for people who want their Peter Parker fix (other than Spidey).

radlum
May 13, 2013
What happened to Andy Lanning? I got one of the Ravenor books by Dan Abnett and it is dedicated to Lanning, but I recall reading that they had a falling out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Current favourite Silver Age Marvel nugget - when he had solo adventures in his hometown in suburban New York, the Human Torch had a secret identity, even though he was a major celebrity as a member of the Fantastic Four, so Stan handwaved it by having Sue explain to him that he kept acting like he had a secret identity so everyone in town decided to humour him.

I also enjoy that one early FF issue where Reed loses all their money on the stock market and they have to make it back by starring in a movie about themselves financed and produced by Namor, who used sunken treasure to buy a Hollywood studio.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That certainly is a sitcom plot.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

They actually sort of tried that on Ms. Marvel. Kamalla basically told them that they want to keep him that guy locked up for that one night. But Bruno was incredibly impatient.
One of the big kickers for me -- moreso than the uniforms, the armbands, the batons, the taser, and the uncertain legal status -- is that he was detained with Kamala being told that he was a 'minutes away' level imminent threat only for one of her cohorts to reveal during the arrest that the allegedly foreseen incident was actually going to be at 9:55 am the next morning. Makes me wonder if Kamala's road trip in #12 is her having to leave town for a while. :ohdear:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I was a bit surprised by the revelation in that issue of Ms. Marvel that Zoe is gay, and majorly crushing on Nakia. I've been really enjoying how tactful the writing has been so far, and trust that it will be handled really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

It was definitely handled a lot better than when Spider-Man 2099 had a lesbian reveal that was more or less her shouting it at everyone loudly and obnoxiously as if anything less would be too subtle for the reader.

Even with all my hang ups for the premise of the last Ms. Marvel, I still greatly enjoyed the book's writing.

• Locked thread