Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Wildtortilla posted:

I hope the NX is an attempt to resurrect the Virtual Boy.

I still think that it was a missed opportunity to sell virtual boy games on the 3DS VC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Is this rumor just as reliable as the leaked controller?

It's been backed up by the Wall Street Journal, which is about as bigtime as it gets.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

And really what other microsoft IPs are left nowadays?

Gears, Halo, Forza, and uh.....

They keep touting that they still have Phantom Dust, but the sequel/reboot/remake/whatever it is now has been cancelled, retooled, cancelled again, and retooled again for the past 3 years. Aside from that, there's Fable and maybe Vodoo Vince.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Boten Anna posted:

The touch screen is going to be that you connect any iPhone or Android device to it to use as a second screen and any features that require touch, calling it now.

Yea this seems really unlikely.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nah lemme just comfortably hold a phone and a handheld at the same time during play. so easy and comfortable

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Real hurthling! posted:

nah lemme just comfortably hold a phone and a handheld at the same time during play. so easy and comfortable

wait you don't do this already?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pixaal posted:

wait you don't do this already?

unfortunately my n-gage is broken

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

I think more it would just connect via Bluetooth for basic information like account, time, location, etc.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea this seems really unlikely.

Real hurthling! posted:

I don't think it's a great idea, and it will be hilariously awkward at times, but that doesn't mean I don't think Nintendo won't do it.

the gimmicks are a-comin', and Nintendo needs to stay relevant in the Android/iOS reality, and as such I still think this thing will have some decently deep ties to your already existing phones and tablets. They're probably not dumb enough to make it a requirement like the Wii U gamepad for every game, but for some gameplay segment that works better on touch, and almost exclusively in first party games, it will punt you to your phone/tablet for touch controls and second screen features (as well as possibly a play-on-the-go segment, like maybe Bravely Third would have you build your Mars base in the app)

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 28, 2016

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Instant Sunrise posted:

I still think that it was a missed opportunity to sell virtual boy games on the 3DS VC
They could have bundled all the games on a $40 cart and I would have bought it.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
there is no way connecting to a phone for touch controls is going to work well or at all. like the only comprable thigs like that are super high bandwidth and high latency and only raelly works on lan. how do they connect,using local wifi? bluetooth? how well does it work. hell, how does it work? do they develop an app for each game or is the phone basically just a dummy for streamed video? also how well will it work on crap/old phones

all of those things are terrible on top of it being a dumb and useless idea

its fuckin stupid m8

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or here's another idea for phone connection. Give the NX the same basic watch functionality of the pebble. This is extremely low power and takes hardly any processing, but if you get a notification, text, email or call you can see it.

They could route mynintendo into an app that tells you when friend are online, game notifications, etc, and instead of bothering to have the OS handle all this, just offload that to the phone and it will notify you via Bluetooth. My Nintendo is already tied to your Google account and Facebook account, so they could forego a friend system entirely and just use those apis, letting you know when a Facebook friend, mutual Twitter follower, or someone in your phone contact list if it's through Google is online and use those apis to connect you.

poo poo, you could offload party chat to the phone too, use the mic and the speaker if the NX, and the NX could initiate communication but all that information goes over Bluetooth and is processed by the phone

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

And really what other microsoft IPs are left nowadays?

Gears, Halo, Forza, and uh.....

rare would return home to a company that actually gives a poo poo instead of having them pump out kinect games :unsmith:

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 28, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PenguinKnight posted:

rare would return home to a company that actually gives a poo poo instead of having them pump out kinesthetic games :unsmith:

That was reportedly their idea, not Microsoft forcing it on them. They wanted to take on that challenge.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I respect them wanting the challenge, but it was a bad idea

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Boten Anna posted:

I don't think it's a great idea, and it will be hilariously awkward at times, but that doesn't mean I don't think Nintendo won't do it.

the gimmicks are a-comin', and Nintendo needs to stay relevant in the Android/iOS reality, and as such I still think this thing will have some decently deep ties to your already existing phones and tablets. They're probably not dumb enough to make it a requirement like the Wii U gamepad for every game, but for some gameplay segment that works better on touch, and almost exclusively in first party games, it will punt you to your phone/tablet for touch controls and second screen features (as well as possibly a play-on-the-go segment, like maybe Bravely Third would have you build your Mars base in the app)

The gimmick is a combo handheld/home console with detachable controllers.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm reeeal curious about the detachable controller thing. If it's 2 side-mounted modules like that goofy concept art, there's no way that's gonna feel good when you're in Big TV mode. Unless there's like a dummy plate you snap them into that you keep on the coffee table or something. It seems like it would make more sense to attach it to the bottom of the portable screen, which would give it a 3DS-like form factor. Solve "weird shape" issues by having it stll be able to fold in half for storage in your back pocket.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

Or here's another idea for phone connection. Give the NX the same basic watch functionality of the pebble. This is extremely low power and takes hardly any processing, but if you get a notification, text, email or call you can see it.

They could route mynintendo into an app that tells you when friend are online, game notifications, etc, and instead of bothering to have the OS handle all this, just offload that to the phone and it will notify you via Bluetooth. My Nintendo is already tied to your Google account and Facebook account, so they could forego a friend system entirely and just use those apis, letting you know when a Facebook friend, mutual Twitter follower, or someone in your phone contact list if it's through Google is online and use those apis to connect you.

poo poo, you could offload party chat to the phone too, use the mic and the speaker if the NX, and the NX could initiate communication but all that information goes over Bluetooth and is processed by the phone

Everything you just described is all poo poo that I never use.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nintendo's love of clamshell systems has me thinking nx will have a screen cover that folds back into a screen stand for when you detach the controllers and play some nes VC coop game with your friend

is jackal on vc yet?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm reeeal curious about the detachable controller thing. If it's 2 side-mounted modules like that goofy concept art, there's no way that's gonna feel good when you're in Big TV mode.

why? people like switching between gamepad and pro on wii u already. presumably the side mounts would combine into one controller

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm reeeal curious about the detachable controller thing. If it's 2 side-mounted modules like that goofy concept art, there's no way that's gonna feel good when you're in Big TV mode.

i'm imagining it feeling like using a wiimote and nunchuck tbqh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm reeeal curious about the detachable controller thing. If it's 2 side-mounted modules like that goofy concept art, there's no way that's gonna feel good when you're in Big TV mode. Unless there's like a dummy plate you snap them into that you keep on the coffee table or something. It seems like it would make more sense to attach it to the bottom of the portable screen, which would give it a 3DS-like form factor. Solve "weird shape" issues by having it stll be able to fold in half for storage in your back pocket.

This but with a tablet in the middle and the sides detachable and connectable would be ideal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dexo posted:

This but with a tablet in the middle and the sides detachable and connectable would be ideal.

yeah smaller than that though

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

While the wiimote/nunchuk was lacking in buttons it was reaaaaal comfortable to hold.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i didn't like pointing/waggling i got uncomfortable playing games that way quickly. looking forward to nx gyro control though

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Waggle is dumb but I liked sitting with my hands at my side better than a conventional controller. The width of the gamepad is more comfortable for me as well.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
NX won't have a touch screen or detachable controllers, it'll have 2 leather gloves with embedded fingertip sensors so every surface becomes either. You can hold any old controller you feel like!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Electromax posted:

NX won't have a touch screen or detachable controllers, it'll have 2 leather gloves with embedded fingertip sensors so every surface becomes either. You can hold any old controller you feel like!

I know what controller I'm using

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Electromax posted:

:pray:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Electromax posted:

If I don't have a controller, does it work like the power glove?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

greatn posted:

I know what controller I'm using

"Input not detected. Error code 50340. Perhaps it is too small for use?"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Saoshyant posted:

"Input not detected. Error code 50340. Perhaps it is too small for use?"

Jokes on you, I was using your dad's

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

PenguinKnight posted:

rare would return home to a company that actually gives a poo poo instead of having them pump out kinect games :unsmith:

Rare's doing that to themselves. Microsoft actually tried to get them to make actual games again before just outsourcing them to other companies so that someone would make them. Still, it's nice to see that after 30+ years, Rare is finally making some real progress on Project Dream.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sea of thieves looks bad though. like a 60 dollar version of guns of icarus mixed with a bland survival sanbox. there was nothing in any of its gameplay or trailers that evoke any classic Rare style or personality to me idk.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Real hurthling! posted:

sea of thieves looks bad though. like a 60 dollar version of guns of icarus mixed with a bland survival sanbox. there was nothing in any of its gameplay or trailers that evoke any classic Rare style or personality to me idk.

They specifically said at E3 that Sea of Thieves was going to have more than just the ship battles that's just what they were showing then.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

there is no way connecting to a phone for touch controls is going to work well or at all. like the only comprable thigs like that are super high bandwidth and high latency and only raelly works on lan. how do they connect,using local wifi? bluetooth? how well does it work. hell, how does it work? do they develop an app for each game or is the phone basically just a dummy for streamed video? also how well will it work on crap/old phones

all of those things are terrible on top of it being a dumb and useless idea

its fuckin stupid m8

calm down dude I'm not posting my wishlist I'm posting what I think Nintendo might do. You don't need to get so offended by speculation.

Anyway they already got video streaming working for a portable device not attached the the console, pretty sure they can do it again. It might not be video streaming either, it might just fuckin connect to a full on iOS/Android app that just communicates state back and forth like any other networked game. Both might be capable depending on the software. Maybe its some weird hybrid where your device's power is added to the NX's so it just kind of runs both screens using gpu draw so it's not a straight video stream but an assisted gpu render. It might be some other gimmick entirely that has nothing to do with connecting to android/ios devices.

Like I don't believe I'm right or that any of this is a good idea, it's just speculation based on what we know or assume so far.

hopeandjoy posted:

I don't think so, no. Nintendo can keep a lot of dumb poo poo close to their chest but "hey we're making the nVidia shield using the same chips the nVidia shield did but like, with a controller mount" is not gimmick enough for them to think everyone wants to steal it even using Nintendo Logic. There's another gimmick at play, and I can't promise you it will be a good one or one that you like, but there will be one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if it, like, didn't have a screen at all and you had to use your phone as the screen, by attaching it, but it has all the graphical processing power and stuff, Miracasting it to your phone. You are just carrying the controller around, it streams to whatever you want it to.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

greatn posted:

What if it, like, didn't have a screen at all and you had to use your phone as the screen, by attaching it, but it has all the graphical processing power and stuff, Miracasting it to your phone. You are just carrying the controller around, it streams to whatever you want it to.

"God the new Nintendo sucks, my Evo 4G keeps crashing on it" is why that's stupid as hell. Also if I'm buying my kid a Nintendo I expect it to be its own thing, not an accessory to the hand-me-down iPhone 4S with no SIM I gave her so she doesn't keep asking for my phone to watch PBS Kids.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PenguinKnight posted:

Instead of pumping out Kinect games they'd be pumping out interchangeable cutesy mascot platformers annually :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

"God the new Nintendo sucks, my Evo 4G keeps crashing on it" is why that's stupid as hell. Also if I'm buying my kid a Nintendo I expect it to be its own thing, not an accessory to the hand-me-down iPhone 4S with no SIM I gave her so she doesn't keep asking for my phone to watch PBS Kids.

I'm just spitballing here.

• Locked thread