Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't believe nobody thought to just use a voice modulator for Batman before, it's perfect.

They've all been trying to live up to Keaton and Conroy, who were both able to make their voices different enough as Batman as to be a passable explanation for why he's never identified as Bruce Wayne. Of the two, Conroy is obviously the master of it. His technique seemed to be to use more of his normal voice as Batman, and to put on a more airy, light, carefree voice when playing Bruce. Bale's problem was that he used his normal brooding voice for Bruce Wayne, so he had nowhere to go for Batman other than to growl. I'm fine with Bale's growl though, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

seravid posted:

Yeah, but put a gun spear in his hands and look at that self-confidence go!

BvS sucked but man is it pretty to look at :allears:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think "You're not brave, men are brave" might be my favorite line in the movie.

having finally watched this movie, this is definitely one of the very few cool parts. possibly the only one.

edit: Bruce and Diana flirting with Shostakovich in that background was okay too, and it's hard to make Jeremy Irons as a salty butler not at least a little fun.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Yaws posted:

BvS sucked but man is it pretty to look at :allears:

I understand some of the criticism directed at BvS, but it baffles me whenever anybody calls it ugly.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Superman: 'Save my mother' (dies)
Batman: '....I have no idea who your mother is'

He's using her name because he's talking about her to a third party who doesn't know her. And he's trying to get as much information to this, let's be honest, complete stranger who has him by the balls, as a desperate attempt to save his mother before he get's a spear through the chest.

I'm not a huge fan of this film. But come on now.
Dang if only super and girlfriend was right there to clarify...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"Save Martha..."

"...My... car!?"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
In a thread full of the dumbest loving discussions and arguments, this Martha discussion may be the stupidest thing ever talked about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dublish posted:

I understand some of the criticism directed at BvS, but it baffles me whenever anybody calls it ugly.

The single shot that likely won't even end up in the finished film of Aquaman being buffeted by the waves as hey crash upon him is better to me than any shot I can recall in the entire MCU. The struggles of the Greek Gods may not clique with everyone as superhero fare but Snyder makes them suitably sumptuous and metahuman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

having finally watched this movie, this is definitely one of the very few cool parts. possibly the only one.

It even works from Bruce's perspective: how brave can Superman be when hardly anything is a genuine threat to him? Bruce is merely a mortal man picking a fight with the next thing to a living god.

quote:

edit: Bruce and Diana flirting with Shostakovich in that background was okay too, and it's hard to make Jeremy Irons as a salty butler not at least a little fun.

Between that, the JLA trailer, and the old cartoon, I'm starting to notice that intentional or not Bats and Wonder Woman tend to have an awful lot of chemistry.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dublish posted:

Agreed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bruce in the batcave is the only one of those that really appeals to me. There were some cool shots though, Lois talking in the doorway to her source stood out. The funeral shots at the end were fugly, were they shot in a weird frame rate or something?

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 28, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bruce in the batcave is the only one of those that really appeals to me. There were some cool shots though, Lois talking in the doorway to her source stood out. The funeral shots at the end were fugly, were they shot in a weird frame rate or something?

Yes they were shot in a weird frame rate.

Just kidding no they weren't, get your eyes checked.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

teagone posted:

Yes they were shot in a weird frame rate.

Just kidding no they weren't, get your eyes checked.

*checks*

On double checking, I do, in fact, have eyes. Thanks for the concern.

Anyway, does anyone actually know the answer?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There's some slow-motion in the funeral scenes, so, yeah, they probably were shot in a weird frame rate.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's some slow-motion in the funeral scenes, so, yeah, they probably were shot in a weird frame rate.

The slow motion stuff looked fine (although the fetishizing of the guns in the 21 gun salute was hilarious), but in that shot of the funeral procession walking up the hill, there was his weird flicker to everything. I noticed it earlier in the movie during some of Bruce's flashbacks to being a kid, too.

Some scenes looked way granier than others too which was weird. The scene where Luthor is talking to Holly Hunter in the lab early on has a super high film grain I didn't notice anywhere else in the movie, although maybe it was just because of the brightness of that scene.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Pretty sure it wasn't fetishism. Just opening and closing the movie with gunshots and casings falling to the ground.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Which part specifically?

e: you clarified. Thanks

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The military funeral is purposefully inappropriate. Bruce and Diana comment on it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The slow motion stuff looked fine (although the fetishizing of the guns in the 21 gun salute was hilarious), but in that shot of the funeral procession walking up the hill, there was his weird flicker to everything. I noticed it earlier in the movie during some of Bruce's flashbacks to being a kid, too.

Huh. Just put it on to test and looks fine to me. I'm not saying what you're seeing isn't there, but I can't spot it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The movement of the actors and camera in this scene:

was really good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

The military funeral is purposefully inappropriate. Bruce and Diana comment on it.

I think Snyder is too in love with his slo-mo shots of guns and shell casings to really put this across. It's pretty much my sole complaint about Dawn of the Dead '04 too, there's tons of moments in that movie where he kills the momentum to show another loving slo-mo closeups of guns going off and shell casings flying out.

MacheteZombie posted:

The movement of the actors and camera in this scene:

was really good.

I think this is the exact shot I had in mind. Basically any scene with grass had this really ugly flicker, like a film print being projected with not enough light. And I know it's not just my tv cuz I've been on a big Malick binge lately and believe you me, his movies have hella grass.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
http://motion.kodak.com/kodakgcg/sg/en/motion/blog/blog_post?contentid=4294995322

Larry Fong posted:

I chose KODAK VISION 500T (Color Negative Film) 5219 throughout in 35mm, IMAX and even 16mm. It's an amazing stock with great speed, latitude and contrast. For large night exteriors we occasionally pushed a stop. With 35mm anamorphic, one has to be careful not to shoot too wide open. With IMAX, depth of field is about as shallow as you can get, which is also a challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5CkXgcafB0

This might be effecting the 'flickering' Boogeystein is describing, though it appears to have more to do with the granularity of the film stock in response to harsher lighting conditions. Something that's out of focus is also gonna appear grainier than something in critical focus.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think this is the exact shot I had in mind. Basically any scene with grass had this really ugly flicker, like a film print being projected with not enough light. And I know it's not just my tv cuz I've been on a big Malick binge lately and believe you me, his movies have hella grass.

Hmm I didn't notice any flickering when I watched it. Not doubting you though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

http://motion.kodak.com/kodakgcg/sg/en/motion/blog/blog_post?contentid=4294995322

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5CkXgcafB0

This might be effecting the 'flickering' Boogeystein is describing, though it appears to have more to do with the granularity of the film stock in response to harsher lighting conditions. Something that's out of focus is also gonna appear grainier than something in critical focus.

Thanks for the answer, was genuinely curious about this.

I did dig the grain in many scenes. I kind of just assumed this movie would've been shot digitally so it was a surprise to watch it and have it very clearly be film.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Thanks for the answer, was genuinely curious about this.

I did dig the grain in many scenes. I kind of just assumed this movie would've been shot digitally so it was a surprise to watch it and have it very clearly be film.

Grain is dope, and another reason I kinda wish the movie was in black-and-white.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think Snyder is too in love with his slo-mo shots of guns and shell casings to really put this across. It's pretty much my sole complaint about Dawn of the Dead '04 too, there's tons of moments in that movie where he kills the momentum to show another loving slo-mo closeups of guns going off and shell casings flying out.

You're being a little unfair, don't you think? Disregarding the merits and meaning of a scene based off of what you think a director fetishizes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm pretty sure all of Snyder's stuff has been shot on film. Ayer also shot Suicide Squad on film and Wonder Woman is as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

You're being a little unfair, don't you think? Disregarding the merits and meaning of a scene based off of what you think a director fetishizes.

How is applying my knowledge of a director's previous movies to the one I'm watching unfair? People do this to directors all the time.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

How is applying my knowledge of a director's previous movies to the one I'm watching unfair? People do this to directors all the time.

I just don't get why you watched the movie after everyone you asked said you wouldn't like it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I just don't get why you watched the movie after everyone you asked said you wouldn't like it.

surely I am not the first person you have encountered who occasionally enjoys watching bad movies

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

surely I am not the first person you have encountered who occasionally enjoys watching bad movies

You're certainly not the first one who doesn't enjoy good movies.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Honestly man if you're happy I'm happy

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bruce's arc in the film is that he goes from fetishizing his parents' death (and running away from their funeral) to dismissing that whole scene as a 'circus', and attending a more genuine funeral instead.

Dawn of the Dead satirized the gun fetishism also. The most prominent example, in that film, is a scene where two good people kill each other for no reason, and then a baby gets shot in the face.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 28, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

dublish posted:

Which good movie does he not like? I only know his opinions about BvS.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Hmm I didn't notice any flickering when I watched it. Not doubting you though.

Me neither, although I can check my digital copy tonight. Maybe it was genuine issues at the showing?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Which good movie does he not like? I only know his opinions about BvS.

Hiyoooooooo :rimshot: :downsrim: zing-a-rooooni

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Barudak posted:

Affeck was pretty much my ideal Batman and the fact he got scenery emulsifying lines to back up his horror monster vibe was the icing on the cake.

Same. I didn't particularly care for BvS, but I loved everything about Batfleck. I thought he'd be awesome and he was. Psyched for the Batman solo movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dublish posted:

idgi

Jenny Angel posted:

Honestly man if you're happy I'm happy

bad movies are good for the soul. and sometimes there are genuinely good elements hiding in there, like Ben Affleck's remarkably solid Bruce Wayne in this (I'm not crazy about his Batman).

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dawn of the Dead is satirized the gun fetishism also.

put this on my tombstone

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm pretty sure all of Snyder's stuff has been shot on film. Ayer also shot Suicide Squad on film and Wonder Woman is as well.

I think Bugblatter brought up either in this thread or the BvS one that Snyder's so dedicated to shooting on film his movies are like one of, if not the, last projects using an insanely high speed film camera for his speed ramping shots and slow-mo inserts instead of just switching over to a digital camera to get them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

By ignoring the context of the scene in which he uses that technique. Instead of reading the scene or reading people interpretations of it, you just dismiss it as the director fetishizing something. But hey, you do you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

By ignoring the context of the scene in which he uses that technique. Instead of reading the scene or reading people interpretations of it, you just dismiss it as the director fetishizing something. But hey, you do you.

fair enough.

having now read your interpretation, i find that i still agree with my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeesh.

• Locked thread