Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

widespread posted:

One thing I don't get is why people take a PTC account over a Google account. ESPECIALLY since PTC is more unstable seemingly.

3rd party tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I said it earlier in the thread, but I grabbed a ptc account because I figured they might give free stuff to people with the "official" pokemon account, and also because my gmail password is complex and a pain to type on my phone

Google already knows everything about you, learning that you have a dog or whatever just means more cute dogs in the adblock/ublock fodder

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I had to input a password for the game even once. I just said 'login with my google account' and I was in.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Pokemon Go has made me appreciate Chicago's incredibly slow, above ground public transit more than ever before.

(Also someone please tell me where Eevees spawn within city limits...)

Try this, then use PokeVision to check it in real time.

https://findthepokemon.com/?id=133

widespread posted:

One thing I don't get is why people take a PTC account over a Google account. ESPECIALLY since PTC is more unstable seemingly.

I tried making a PTC account on day 1 but I couldn't, then ended up using my google login. How were we supposed to know it would be such a problem?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't think I had to input a password for the game even once. I just said 'login with my google account' and I was in.

That's probably because you're running android.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, it uses a google account even in the iOS version? I figured iPhones had special iAccounts that work the same way or something.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

acumen posted:

:agreed: My city (St Thomas, ON) vs. Toronto, same scale:

...but not the same amount of people scanning places on the map. There are indeed way more Pokemon to be found in a city, but that side-by-side comparison is flawed.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just watched that video going around of the OG Pokemon theme song guy "performing" it in a studio. It made me curious what he sounds like in his own songs, and uhhhh

Circumcision:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoT0I9nCY1M

Thank You Satan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQBNpwQoTpQ

Also there's a song about Native Americans being massacred in the name of pumpkin pie and turkey.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

...but not the same amount of people scanning places on the map. There are indeed way more Pokemon to be found in a city, but that side-by-side comparison is flawed.

I don't get why that would matter since everyone can catch a pokemon that shows up. If only one person could catch each mon then putting more mons in places that have more people makes sense, buuuutttt since that doesnt matter shouldn't everyone have equal chance to catch them all?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Squeegy posted:

I can walk up and down the beach near my house and catch literally hundreds of pokemon in a few hours. :shrug:

So can I at a beach within driving distance, but I have to time it right. Its a really wide beach with a shallow incline. When the tide is in I'm about 300-400 metres from where the game thinks the sea is, walking through the surf catching the usual pidgies. If the tide is at its lowest I can get loads of neat water pokemon.

edit: Also see lots of people who don't know the beach doing the same, splashing through the shallows staring at their phones. Which is a bad idea because its easy to end up on a sandbar with 6 foot deep water separating you from the main beach. I've had to shout out to a few folk to turn back.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 28, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

I don't get why that would matter since everyone can catch a pokemon that shows up. If only one person could catch each mon then putting more mons in places that have more people makes sense, buuuutttt since that doesnt matter shouldn't everyone have equal chance to catch them all?

Because the map relies on a lot of people using it in order to actually find and display all the Pokemon, and there's no way of knowing the population density of people using Pokemon in Whateversville, SomeCountry. If there was only 1 dude using Pokevision in Toronto it would look empty, even though there would be Pokemon everywhere.

But yes, big cities do have way more Pokemon, because it's based on cell data usage from Ingress. You can see it in the neighbourhood to neighbourhood variation too; older, expensive neighbourhoods with older, richer people are almost devoid of Pokemon spawns.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Because the map relies on a lot of people using it in order to actually find and display all the Pokemon, and there's no way of knowing the population density of people using Pokemon in Whateversville, SomeCountry. If there was only 1 dude using Pokevision in Toronto it would look empty, even though there would be Pokemon everywhere.

But yes, big cities do have way more Pokemon, because it's based on cell data usage from Ingress. You can see it in the neighbourhood to neighbourhood variation too; older, expensive neighbourhoods with older, richer people are almost devoid of Pokemon spawns.

Oh ya I get that part about pokevision. I just dont get Niantic's logic about making pokemon more common where more cell data is recorded. I live in the downtown of a city which isn't too bad, but when I go to the burbs it is like Im in a poke wasteland.

Seems wild pokes should spawn more evenly and not just by pokestops.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just a temporary thing. They needed something to populate the world with so they based it on something they already had while they work on a good pokemon spread.

Or I could hope, at least...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
"I'm going to log in and use a lucky egg since the xp calculator says my 42-43 evos should take me from 11 to 15" I say to myself.

Failed to get information from server:fuckoff:

....I guess I'll wait until later then. :(

duz posted:

That's probably because you're running android.

They fixed the "enter your password after every server fuckup" thing a week or two ago. I can't remember the last time Pokemon Go asked to enter my password and I'm on an iPhone.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Squeegy posted:

I can walk up and down the beach near my house and catch literally hundreds of pokemon in a few hours. :shrug:

I spent an hour walking on the beach last night and all I saw was a lone psyduck :geno:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
My map has parks again.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How do I add multiple Pokémon to a gym I'm defending, how do I use different moves other than the basic attack, and what does it mean when two Pokémon n at once are attacking me while I'm trying to take a gym?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How do I add multiple Pokémon to a gym I'm defending, how do I use different moves other than the basic attack, and what does it mean when two Pokémon n at once are attacking me while I'm trying to take a gym?

You can't, press and hold when you have at least 1 bar of energy filled, and someone is helping you attack the gym.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

I was under the impression that pokevision drew directly from the PoGo servers and not user data. Either way there's a huge disparity in density and that sucks.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

widespread posted:

Full disclosure, my wife signed me up for a Pokemon account after signing herself up with one. She signed up for a PTC account because she read some stuff about Naintic having full access to her Google account, including the ability to read her gmail, and she didn't like that prospect.

I'm guessing that if you have a PTC account, you are either a young kid without a gmail or an older person that signed up for a PTC for the same reason (overblown or not) that my wife did.

Also, I just got an email back from Niantic support about switching my PTC account to Google auth, and they said no. Maybe in the future it will be a thing, but probably not.

redux
Apr 23, 2008

acumen posted:

I was under the impression that pokevision drew directly from the PoGo servers and not user data. Either way there's a huge disparity in density and that sucks.

Correct, but pokemon only appear on the map when someone scans there, so a user has to actually have scanned a certain area in order for the spawns to appear on anyone's map.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

acumen posted:

:agreed: My city (St Thomas, ON) vs. Toronto, same scale:

Why are there so many drowzees in Toronto...

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Woo woo, level 20 perfect Vaporeon

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

Why are there so many drowzees in Toronto...

Lots of dreamers? I don't know much about Toronto.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Literally all of my Pokemon are below average, welp.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

1. Every player is allowed only one Pokemon to a gym. If you want to put one in an existing friendly gym but there's no open slot, you have to build up the gym's HP (called "prestige") until the next level by fighting the friendly gym with only one Pokemon at a time. Each friendly you defeat increases prestige around 100 points. When you can finally put one of your own in, you can either put in your strongest in hopes of making it harder for enemy teams to defeat your gym (and harder for friendlies to help level up the gym), or you can put in a lower CP Pokemon in hopes that it makes it easier for other friendlies to level up the gym, because they'll have to go through the same process.

2. You'll see blue bar(s) under your Pokemon's HP and that gets built up the more you attack and get attacked. Once a bar is fully built, tap and hold the screen until the bar's animation plays to show you're holding to execute the attack. Sometimes this gets interrupted by an enemy attack and it might look like you executed your attack but it didn't. Just tap and hold again.

3. No one can interrupt you while you're fighting a gym. Any Pokemon you see off in the distance also attacking are just attacking the Pokemon in the center of the ring. They can be friendlies or another rival team.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Note Block posted:

Literally all of my Pokemon are below average, welp.

Most of mine suck too. I wish IVs didn't exist.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Mandingo posted:

Woo woo, level 20 perfect Vaporeon

I'm still trying to find a perfect Evee... Haven't found one yet. What should I set as a bar for "good enough"? 98%?

I've gotten a couple 90%+, though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Remember that a 50% IV Pokemon doesn't have 50% of the stats of a 100% IV Pokemon. It receives only 50% of the ~20% bonus that a Perfect IV Pokemon gets.

The power spread between a 0% and a 100% Pokemon is far less than the advantage given to an attacking vs defending Pokemon. Srsly don't sweat your IVs.

They only matter in the actual games, where 100% IVs can mean things like attacking first, having a 99% to 1hitKO, and surviving the most common attacks with at least 1 HP.

Combat in this game is "Mash Attack until the Attackers Win" and IVs reeeeally don't matter that much.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

People playing this shallow mobile game like it's a proper Pokemon game (finding perfect IVs for example) is hilarious. It's sooooooooooo not needed at all don't min max a loving mobile game.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Maaaaaaaaybe it will play a role when direct player battles are a thing but even then I think that there are a million other reasons why you win/lose a battle before any IV has influence at all. I haven't bothered whatsoever with IVs because that has zero bearing on whether I attack a gym or not, and it's not like it matters defending either since you'll probably be facing multiple pokemon at the same time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

One thing I've learned from all of these scanner maps is that my location doesn't report accuratly to them. They all put me in a patch of woods about a mile away from where my house actually is. And I live in a city.

Hell, even Google Maps itself doesn't get it right.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

IVs just equate to extra CP. If your pokemon has 20% more CP it's very noticeable in battle.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

IVs just equate to extra CP. If your pokemon has 20% more CP it's very noticeable in battle.

It is? I have zero problems taking out a 1200 CP with a 1000 CP. Game is ez mode

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

So close, but so far away. Tomorrow I'm building a raft.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I just got 3 10 km eggs

:feelsgood:

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Kirios posted:

People playing this shallow mobile game like it's a proper Pokemon game (finding perfect IVs for example) is hilarious. It's sooooooooooo not needed at all don't min max a loving mobile game.

Welcome to Something Awful!

I don't know if people in the real world sperg so hard over their 'mons, but I suspect the answer is no.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

GeneX posted:

I just got 3 10 km eggs

:feelsgood:

If you get three Weedles from 'em I'll laugh. Or maybe you'll get three Mr. Mimes or something.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

widespread posted:

If you get three Weedles from 'em I'll laugh. Or maybe you'll get three Mr. Mimes or something.

3 onyx is the worst possible outcome, GOD I HATED THESE ONYXES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking