Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

RatHat posted:

Huh, Big Mom's family has the Japanese style naming order.
Same as most families in One Piece. e.g. Monkey D. Dragon, Monkey D. Garp, Monkey D. Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Big Mom's dream....

Finally, the reason for the giant children on Punk Hazard.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
Isn't Whitebeards family name Edward, instead of Newgate?

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Weevil seems to think it is, at least.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Green Intern posted:

Big Mom's dream....

Finally, the reason for the giant children on Punk Hazard.

Is it me or does it seem surprisingly simplistic? It's even more simple than Whitebeard's desire for a family.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is it me or does it seem surprisingly simplistic? It's even more simple than Whitebeard's desire for a family.

the simplest dreams, are often the most complex...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

oddium posted:

the simplest dreams, are often the most complex...

Given Big Mom's initial impression as a scheming omnipotent mastermind with intimate knowledge of connections as far out as East Blue, it's kind of weird how it all amounts to getting to enjoy tea parties with her buddies at eye-level instead of having to keep looking down on her smaller counterparts.

So, including Big Mom, the motivations of the former/current Yonkou are as follows:

Whitebeard - have a close family
Kaidou - have a rocking themed crew of all Zoan users, because that'd be cool or something
Shanks - see the world and have bitchin' parties
Blackbeard - rule the world

If anything, Blackbeard seems to be the outlier here.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Kaidou wants to die as well, though it's unclear which dream came first and/or has more importance to him. Blackbeard is probably the outlier because it's a point that he's a fake punching above his weight by laying out a plan and scheming a lot more than most people appear to do.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Blackbeard is the person whose traffic backstory I am most looking forward to at this point. You know it's gonna be a doozy, when Oda drew the warlords as children he was the only one crying.

But really his motivation is probably just a mirror of Luffy's. He also wants to be the pirate king, he's just doing it a different way.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Why is Luffy collecting doppelgangers?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought he'd already confirmed that he wanted to be Pirate King? While his goal might be the same, I doubt his motivation is, since I doubt he wants to be Pirate King because he wants to surpass his idol and becoming Pirate King is simply undisputable proof of it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Begemot posted:

Blackbeard is the person whose traffic backstory I am most looking forward to at this point. You know it's gonna be a doozy, when Oda drew the warlords as children he was the only one crying.

But really his motivation is probably just a mirror of Luffy's. He also wants to be the pirate king, he's just doing it a different way.

His reason for wanting to be the Pirate King is probably a perversion of Luffy's. Luffy wants to be the most free person in the world while Blackbeard probably wants to be the only free person in the world.

On another note, was Bege's wife Lola, just with her proper family name? I wouldn't put it past her to have taken a pseudonym in order to sail more freely.

And poor Pekoms, the guy just can't catch a break :(

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
^
I loved mafia-style execution though with all the dramatic cinematic cuts to the baby. :allears:

Between Capone and Senor Pink and the movie suits for the Straw Hats, I wonder if deep down inside Oda has a thing for stylish hard boiled gangster types.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Begemot posted:

I'm liking Capone Bege more and more. There are so many good villains in this arc.

That is the Most Luffy solution to the problem of doppelgangers :allears:

I hope bege has a crisis of conscience when his son is put in danger.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Between Capone and Senor Pink and the movie suits for the Straw Hats, I wonder if deep down inside Oda has a thing for stylish hard boiled gangster types.
I don't think this has ever been in question

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
didn't blackbeard explicitly say that he wanted to rule the world as pirate king?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

^
I loved mafia-style execution though with all the dramatic cinematic cuts to the baby. :allears:

Also look at the admirals and their snazzy suits, and the fact that they're all based on old Japanese actors from gangster movies (except the Zatoichi guy, obviously, though those movies usually involve yakuza).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think he just has a thing for people in fancy dresswear, such as the aforementioned Film Gold outfits and the Strong World finale outfits (aka, the longest time Franky has worn proper pants to date).

Plus, Sanji has more or less worn some form of a suit/fancy wear across the entire run (Skypeia being the outlier, of course).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

Why is Luffy collecting doppelgangers?

The forest keeps making doppelgangers to trick people caught inside it. Between that and rearranging itself, nobody ever escapes. Too bad they didn't count on the Strawhats' unstoppable powers. Nami is suspicious of everything so she kept everyone but Luffy from running off, and realized the forest was tricking them. Meanwhile, Luffy is just too goddamn simple minded to be tricked in such a way. Everyone else would give up when faced with so many duplicates of their friends, but Luffy's just gonna go full Pokemon on their asses until he figures out what's going on.

The forest is lucky as poo poo that Zoro didn't come along. Trying to make Zoro get lost could only result in him being unable to not find his way back to the ship and his friends.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Gyges posted:

The forest is lucky as poo poo that Zoro didn't come along. Trying to make Zoro get lost could only result in him being unable to not find his way back to the ship and his friends.

I wish Zoro had been able to come along just for this gag alone. He can only find his way when put somewhere that makes everyone else get lost.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Even if he did get lost his solution would be to just fire off a massive sword cut that chops the entire forest down in one go.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't believe Pekoms is loving dead.

Also the wanted posters for Carrot and Pedro are great. Carrot even has a straw hat. :allears:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So what the hell do you think was up with Jinbei in this chapter? The honorable yakuza fishman got too freaked out over giving up an arm to join the straw hats? No way

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So what the hell do you think was up with Jinbei in this chapter? The honorable yakuza fishman got too freaked out over giving up an arm to join the straw hats? No way

Taking another look at the wheel, it has arm, leg, head, and head with a crown. Maybe head with a crown is bring mama a specific head and she wanted Luffy's.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Nah, she just makes you lord of a candy kingdom, pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't believe Pekoms is loving dead.

Also the wanted posters for Carrot and Pedro are great. Carrot even has a straw hat. :allears:

I'm betting Jinbe rescued him on the sly.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Shoren posted:

On another note, was Bege's wife Lola, just with her proper family name? I wouldn't put it past her to have taken a pseudonym in order to sail more freely.

weve already seen another Charlotte daughter who looks like Lola haven't we? they're probably a set of (insert numerical prefix)-plets

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

weve already seen another Charlotte daughter who looks like Lola haven't we? they're probably a set of (insert numerical prefix)-plets

Nah the Lola-lookalike who appeared previously is the Lola-lookalike who appeared this chapter, I believe. Same hairstyle, same ribbon, and in the Korean translation Goti calls her mistress, as in the boss's wife.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lola herself is assumed to be still in search of a husband.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Up on Mangastream. Lol @ Capone Jr being ugly as sin

The baby is gorgeous and you are a bad man.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Lola herself is assumed to be still in search of a husband.

I presume it's just a matter of time before she shows up for the wedding between her sister and a Straw hat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The baby already has mustache stubble.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
And a cigar pacifier!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Nah the Lola-lookalike who appeared previously is the Lola-lookalike who appeared this chapter, I believe. Same hairstyle, same ribbon, and in the Korean translation Goti calls her mistress, as in the boss's wife.

Good call, I forgot about the look-alike. But as mentioned, no way Lola doesn't show up at some point since she's all but confirmed as a daughter of Big Mom and Nami's part of this expedition.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah I can't see Big Mom as we know her forgiving the SHs based entirely on this, but remember they literally saved Lola and her entire crew and they have the Vivrecard to prove it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's clearly gonna be a plot point and part of why nami's here

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Somehow, after 8 years of dedicated fandom towards One Piece....I think it's just not fun anymore. It feels like it's become a parody of itself, ESPECIALLY with regards to the Anime. Especially in comparison to...say...My Hero Academia.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Somehow, after 8 years of dedicated fandom towards One Piece....I think it's just not fun anymore. It feels like it's become a parody of itself, ESPECIALLY with regards to the Anime. Especially in comparison to...say...My Hero Academia.

Have you though about not watching the anime then?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grouchio posted:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please do not watch the One Piece anime.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

jinbe didn't get freaked out so he was tossed in a dungeon and propaganda was put in the newspaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Advice posted:

Yeah I can't see Big Mom as we know her forgiving the SHs based entirely on this, but remember they literally saved Lola and her entire crew and they have the Vivrecard to prove it.

She's already killed one of her children.