Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

A White Guy posted:

DId you ever play the Long War mod for the XCOM reboot? The balance is hard to perceive, but one or two bad missions and eventually you're just throwing dudes into the meat grinder waiting for the inevitable end.

Long War has some really good things going on but also some really lovely things. Like enemy numbers going up and up until it's not difficult but just tedious, having something like 40 aliens on a small loving UFO. Or the time I didn't rush EXALT HQ and there were 40 guys there too, like so many some spawned outside the map, those were fun to get. Mostly it meant though the small map was so packed that I had to take out groups the same turn I engaged them or a patrol would wander in and also I couldn't really maneuver since yeah, that too would activate another patrol. The beefy guys in those groups had more HP than the game could display, never missed and hit like loving trucks too. I ended up using a trainer just to get through that one but that was one of the last times I actually played that game, I mean I get it, XCom needs to be hard because everybody says so but it's always so easy to cross over into pure tedium. I'm glad there's no Long War for 2 although it would be easier to just gently caress with it to get the good parts and dump the tedious git gud bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The problem with XCOM's you-win-or-they-win is that it ends up with lots of tedious victory lapping or getting your teeth kicked in. They're great games but that's one thing that always puts me off replaying.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Somfin posted:

Probably because, although you are a good person on the inside, your aggressive online persona prevents people from getting to know you.

oldpainless is in my top 5 favorite posters on this site. :kiddo:

grate deceiver posted:

I saw an early access game recently, called Kenshi I think, that looks to be M&B turned up to 11, but I'm not sure if there's enough content atm in it to justify a purchase.

I saw this a few months ago and put it on my wishlist so I could keep track of it, in case it does get some more content Seems like it could be a really cool game if they can add more stuff to do.

Regrettable has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Jul 29, 2016

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

muscles like this? posted:

The fake Scientology stuff is worth doing once but gently caress ever doing it on a subsequent playthrough.

I actually did do it twice. I wanted the wicked trophies! :cripes:

Never again, though I did take the opportunity to explore the desert a little bit more.

EDIT:

Regrettable posted:

oldpainless is in my top 5 favorite posters on this site. :kiddo:

Same.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nuebot posted:

Does it count as dragging the game down if it's the service offering the game? Because I wanted some stupid Japanese mobile game and forgot my old Japanese itunes account because it's been ages since I've used it. They've changed how accounts work since I've set it up, now if you want to make an account you absolutely have to have a credit card for that region, even if you don't plan to ever buy anything. Not only that but if you type your age in as sub-18, because it used to be if you said you were younger than 18 it would let you pick "none" for payment, it just straight up blocks you from ever making an account on that device ever again. Dumb anime games are not worth the bullshit region lock strangle hold itunes enforces on their shop. You can't even browse around too much without the drat thing going "woah now, you don't have permission to be here, go back to the store you belong to" and redirecting you automatically.

How old are you, Nuebot?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lizard Wizard posted:

How old are you, Nuebot?

he presumably doesn't have a Japanese credit card liz wiz

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Celluloid Sam posted:

he presumably doesn't have a Japanese credit card liz wiz

This would be it. :shrug: Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems weird to not let you download free apps unless you have credit card info.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

But the stat system in san andreas was ONLY an excuse to make cj into an unstoppable force if nature in late game, which both gta 4 and 5 lacked.

The stats in GTAV seemed really pointless. I never really noticed a difference when my stats were maxed than when they were at level one. The only difference I noticed was that people who were like level 2000 or whatever just had seemingly infinite amounts of cash to waste where as you would have none and so they could just spend as much as they wanted wrecking cars and shooting rockets everywhere but everyone else would have to check out after like, one fancy car wreck.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know when this trend started of PvP centric shooters with super abilities but I'm utterly sick of it, Destiny, Overwatch and Black Ops 3 all have this crap and it never to piss me off whenever I die to that horseshit.

They could be slightly balanced by having charge at a similar rate but they charge based off damage or kills so anyone that's really good is going to get theirs quite often, I mean the person has already spent the time getting good at the game, he doesn't need more tools to crush us lowly plebs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's not as bad in destiny because even if you do bad you get at least one eventually since they charge up over time, getting kills just charges it faster. But I really hate the call of duty nuke style of super reward where if a guy does good enough, you reward them to make them better which rapidly makes it impossible for the people who fell behind early on for whatever reason to close the gap.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
I like most of them in Overwatch, because it's less of a CoD-style killstreak reward and more a MOBA-style super move that's factored into their design. It's not a momentum-building showstopper either, everyone's going to get access to their at some point in a game.

I do hate one, though, I hate Mercy's: a resurrect to full health for every ally that died in the immediate area and hasn't respawned yet. Because on the opposing side, that's just depressing and frustrating; you killed them all, possibly at immense expense... except then you see that golden light and hear 'HEROES NEVER DIE', and suddenly that's entirely flipped as everybody that you just killed is back up and you are now hosed.

Logically, I recognize that it's not too different to Lucio or Zenyatta's ultimates. They're all reactive, a way to protect the team against a possible teamwipe. But not only do Lucio and Zenyatta's ultis feel like better fits for healers (as a healer your job is to make sure nobody dies, and if Sound Barrier or Transcendence goes well nobody will; if Mercy's ulti works out, it's because several people died and the healer somehow was not one of them) they don't feel like they're taking away other people's achievements. I've seen play of the game clips where a genuinely impressive, risky play pays off, only to have it completely negated in the last second of the clip by a Mercy that turned up late.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I don't know when this trend started of PvP centric shooters with super abilities but I'm utterly sick of it, Destiny, Overwatch and Black Ops 3 all have this crap and it never to piss me off whenever I die to that horseshit.

They could be slightly balanced by having charge at a similar rate but they charge based off damage or kills so anyone that's really good is going to get theirs quite often, I mean the person has already spent the time getting good at the game, he doesn't need more tools to crush us lowly plebs.
That player is already going to kill you more because they're really good. The super abilities are a balancing mechanism designed to allow less-skilled players to change a fight, rather than just getting headshot over and over.

Also the abilities in Black Ops 3 are pretty minor given that encountering another player lasts about one second, tops, just because the game is so fast.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It was pretty silly in MW2 when the Nuke ended the game. It felt like being kicked for being bad, except it happened to everyone at once. If the other team had players with a 30pt killstreak, you're probably losing anyway. No need for the game to rub it in.

There's got to be a way to reward good players without massively punishing their opponents. It's bad enough having AC130s and choppers pushing your face into the mud all match.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Desmond's Journey" in AssCreed: Revelations is really tedious. Its like the developers understood that Mirror's Edge is fun but they didn't realize why.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

well why not posted:

It was pretty silly in MW2 when the Nuke ended the game. It felt like being kicked for being bad, except it happened to everyone at once. If the other team had players with a 30pt killstreak, you're probably losing anyway. No need for the game to rub it in.

There's got to be a way to reward good players without massively punishing their opponents. It's bad enough having AC130s and choppers pushing your face into the mud all match.
Actually, in that case, wouldn't you appreciate them pushing the "ok we've won" button already? People bitch so much about not being able to just throw Dota matches even though they've "clearly" lost, if there's a definite "okay, you've been steamrolled enough now, time to put you down" condition, that's a good thing, no?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In MGSV the fact that recruiting Quiet is optional fucks with a lot of cutscenes, because since they couldn't count on her being there she's conspicuously absent and then there's a fade to black and a completely separate cutscenes featuring her will play. For a game that is otherwise so cinematic it's really inelegant.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

well why not posted:

The nuke really hosed up a lot of the objective based game modes in MW2, which is what I played the most of. It was hard enough to get random teammates (Who probably didn't communicate at all) to stop caring about K/D ratio dickwaving to try and capture a headquarters location, but the nuke basically just encouraged people to skulk around the edges of the maps trying for kills in the cheapest ways possible, which would gently caress up trying to capture objectives in all sorts of fun ways, usually either taking a team out of an advantageous spawn point or putting them in a lovely one. Plus it was a wasted killstreak spot for most players, denying teams lower level stuff that may have actually benefited the individual players/teams on a more regular basis.

Simply Simon posted:

Actually, in that case, wouldn't you appreciate them pushing the "ok we've won" button already? People bitch so much about not being able to just throw Dota matches even though they've "clearly" lost, if there's a definite "okay, you've been steamrolled enough now, time to put you down" condition, that's a good thing, no?

Yeah, if someone had a 30 kill streak in Team Deathmatch, their team was probably way ahead and it would be a mercy option... but more often than not it seemed like players would wait until the game was nearly over (The final seconds or just before the kill limit) before triggering it. But Team Deathmatch only went to something like 75 or 100 total team kills, so it wasn't as common anyway.

Meanwhile, in a mode like Headquarters or Domination that isn't kill based, it was easier to rack up much, much larger kill counts. It always seemed like the team that was way ahead in those modes (Having captured or held the most objectives or whatever) ended up losing because someone on the other side had just camped from the start to get the nuke. For example, they could be losing a game of Headquarters 220-0 (I think MW2 is when it went up to 250), with the time remaining clearly preventing any possible comeback, but then somebody who hadn't even gone anywhere near the objective sets off a nuke and that's it, you lose. It was just annoying.

Short version, it just encouraged people to be lovely teammates more than anything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The UAV was the most useful killstreak in the game for the team that nobody but me used because they were all ineffectually going for their sweet youtube montages with harrier/chopper gunner/nuke

I think I saw 2 players total pull it off and god knows how much more they would have helped if they just used UAV instead of the nuke they never ever got

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

In MGSV the fact that recruiting Quiet is optional fucks with a lot of cutscenes, because since they couldn't count on her being there she's conspicuously absent and then there's a fade to black and a completely separate cutscenes featuring her will play. For a game that is otherwise so cinematic it's really inelegant.

It also led to a lot of people angrily complaining that they murdered her, why don't they have her as a partner later in the game. Konami why are you so dumb, why isn't this dead character now their bff?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

I kind of agree, but to play devils advocate COD is a bit different since it's both less of a team game and "feeding" is a lot less of an issue. You can still have fun running around shooting dudes even if your team is getting its rear end kicked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing Samurai Warriors 4: Empires which is the strategy version of the Japan flavor of the Dynasty Warriors games. One of the systems in the game is that they judge how strong your side is by "Troop Amount" which goes up by leveling your officers. If you want to have a chance against an opponent you have to match or get close to what they field. The thing is that you can only bring so many officers to a battle so it can become mathematically impossible to match an opposing army's strength if you have underleveled guys. So you can get stuck in a loop where you're only using a small group of officers because they're the only ones you can use because they're the only ones you have used so they're the only ones who are leveled up and have higher troop amounts. It's very hard to level guys up because the only way to do it is by winning fights (as you get no XP for losing) or the small amount they get from being one of your advisers and even that is dependent on them having advice you want to follow through on.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cataclysm DDA: Focus is used to gain xp and also gives bonuses or penalties to combat, and focus is gained by keeping your morale high. What is annoying is that if you set up base to where you need to drive around you'll end up at your destination with poo poo for focus cause its being used up giving you driving xp. One way to keep your morale high while driving though is playing music, so clearly you should just pump some tunes while driving around right?

Well according to the powers that be, a car will completely drain its battery after an hour of driving with the stereo on. And god help you if you're driving at night and turn on your headlights while listening to the radio. Its great, the devs make changes for "realism" then do stuff like remove the ability to make gunpowder and make stereos be a complete power drain.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

C:DDA has some problems but lol @ you mentioning those and not Zombie Grenadiers.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Alteisen posted:

This from the person who bought Destiny four times on four different consoles.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

C:DDA has some problems but lol @ you mentioning those and not Zombie Grenadiers.

I quickly turned off those zombies after reading up on them.

Imagine a mob that not only explodes on death, but has infinite grenades and can also spawn those man hacks from Half Life that have grenades on them, including one that has a loving mininuke on it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cosmosisjones posted:

This from the person who bought Destiny four times on four different consoles.

And what does that have to do with my complaint? :confused:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Cataclysm DDA: Focus is used to gain xp and also gives bonuses or penalties to combat, and focus is gained by keeping your morale high. What is annoying is that if you set up base to where you need to drive around you'll end up at your destination with poo poo for focus cause its being used up giving you driving xp. One way to keep your morale high while driving though is playing music, so clearly you should just pump some tunes while driving around right?

Just toggle off Driving increases.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

well why not posted:

I feel like in that type of visceral, reflex-based first-person game you don't need to reward good players at all. Being good is its own reward and the fun comes from getting the kills and helping your team win as a result.

That's something Chivalry: Medieval Warfare does right, other than a few very easily unlocked weapons your character at level 60 with a K/D of 10+ is exactly the same as a newly created character, except that the former might be wearing a stupid purple helmet. If you're dominating, it's purely because of your own skill and not because of your stats or because you managed to get into a positive loop where the game is helping you.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
It's low-hanging fruit, but Dragon Age II really is a lovely, lovely game.

I recently started it up again, since I was looking for something action-y with a bit of character storyline. Chapter 1 was great, Chapter 2 was too long, and Chapter 3 is basically an exercise in how to design frustrating games.

There's a lot of common complaints (all deserved) about this game: the re-used areas, the limited textures, the utter lack of intrigue, the banal story, and the flat characters. But one thing I did like about the game was the combat. Until I hit Chapter 3 again, that is, and reminded myself why I had put this poo poo on the "never again" pile.

Two major issues:

- Playing a sneaky, stabby rogue as your main character basically makes you limited as hell in combat. You do great single-target damage, with limited aoe and no real survivability. You have great battlefield mobility, which feels really cool until you see your mages laying down sheets of fire that kill everything. Very large boss mobs target you because you are the player character, which insta-kills you. So, annoyingly, that good single-target damage is worthless in tough fights. You're useless against large boss mobs.

- Your companions' AI is god awful. You can set tactics for each character, which can quickly become a labyrinthine maze of switch statements. This is fine. What is less fine is that the developers threw their hands up and decided not to implement any sort of basic AI beyond what the player can create. In fights where, say, there is AoE, your companions do not move out of it. They stand in range of fireballs and electric fields until they die.

For a game that's supposed to be a fun, streamlined action game, it sure requires a bunch of micromanagement.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Plus I never did find the awesome button.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Morglon posted:

Plus I never did find the awesome button.

It was inside you all along.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Pokemon Go -- Either something changed with the recent patch or the game's difficulty scales with your level, but I'm reaching a point where 40-CP trash mons like Caterpie and Rattata will break out of balls four times in a row, and then run away.

Nothing like going out for an hour and a half and seeing nothing but super common Pokemon, and not even bothering to capture them since it'll take forever and make your trip a net loss on balls.

Also every gym in my neighborhood is occupied by Vaporeons or Snorlaxes with 1500+ CP and I can't even remotely compete with that so I'm kind of out of stuff to do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Pokemon Go -- Either something changed with the recent patch or the game's difficulty scales with your level, but I'm reaching a point where 40-CP trash mons like Caterpie and Rattata will break out of balls four times in a row, and then run away.

Nothing like going out for an hour and a half and seeing nothing but super common Pokemon, and not even bothering to capture them since it'll take forever and make your trip a net loss on balls.

Also every gym in my neighborhood is occupied by Vaporeons or Snorlaxes with 1500+ CP and I can't even remotely compete with that so I'm kind of out of stuff to do.

Also you get great balls and razz berries which supposedly make it easier to catch a pokemon. I don't think this is true because I've tried using one or the other, I've tried using both. It still took 5+ great balls to catch half the things I did the other day.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

It was inside you all along.

Please, do not tickle your prostate while playing dragon age ii

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Just toggle off Driving increases.

....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Still, regardless of that its dumb that stereo systems are such an insane drain on battery power. Which doesn't make sense, according to the menu stereo systems only use -2 battery, while a single headlight uses -187 yet driving with a stereo on drains the car's battery but 2 headlights I'll continue to generate extra/stay at 100% battery power.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was thinking of replaying Dragon Age: Origins, and thought I might as well see how much the DLC costs now, but the only way I can see to get it is to re-buy the entire game (the "Ultimate Edition"). I can't even see what I'd be getting, it just says "all nine content packs". What the gently caress is this bullshit?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I was thinking of replaying Dragon Age: Origins, and thought I might as well see how much the DLC costs now, but the only way I can see to get it is to re-buy the entire game (the "Ultimate Edition"). I can't even see what I'd be getting, it just says "all nine content packs". What the gently caress is this bullshit?

Just checked the Steam page, under the "Read More" section it has:

quote:

Dragon Age: Origins
You are a Grey Warden, one of the last of this legendary order of guardians. With the return of mankind's ancient foe and the kingdom engulfed in civil war, you have been chosen by fate to unite the shattered lands and slay the archdemon once and for all. Explore a stunning world, make complex moral choices, and engage in bone-crushing combat against massive and terrifying creatures.

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening Expansion Pack
The story of the Grey Wardens continues as you are named their commander. Fight new enemies, learn new skills and spells, and explore an all-new area of the world, Amaranthine.

All Nine Content Packs

The Stone Prisoner
Warden's Keep
Return to Ostagar
Feastday Gifts
The Darkspawn Chronicles
Feastday Pranks
Leliana's Song
The Golems of Amgarrak
Witch Hunt

Stone Prisoner is a DLC mission to get a bonus character who is the best, Warden's Keep/Return to Ostagar/Darkspawn Chronices/Leiliana's Song/Golems of Amgarrak/Witch Hunt are all DLC missions/quest series of some kind, and Awakening is about as long as the original Origins after you complete the initial origin quest for your main character.

All that extra junk probably cost about $5-$10 a piece, with Awakening itself being $30 when it was released, so it's pretty much just paying for the price of Awakening for the full game + DLC

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thecluckmeme posted:

All that extra junk probably cost about $5-$10 a piece, with Awakening itself being $30 when it was released, so it's pretty much just paying for the price of Awakening for the full game + DLC

But I already have the full game. And Awakening. Why does it cost me the same price to get the DLC as it would cost someone who never bought the game to get the whole lot?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

But I already have the full game. And Awakening. Why does it cost me the same price to get the DLC as it would cost someone who never bought the game to get the whole lot?

Because some of them were preorder incentive DLC, some of them are standalone DLCs they obviously aren't selling individually anymore, and EA personally detests you

e: Wait, have you even tried to purchase the DLC from the game itself? The Warden's Keep one is explicitly available from the main game when you're at your camp, where you can then buy it. All the DLC has a location where you can buy the DLC in-game, which should let you grab it from the store (as long as they're still up)

bawk has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Aug 3, 2016

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
If memory serves you used to have to buy the DLC from Bioware's own site and with their own currency. I'm not sure they were ever available on steam separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Just loving pirate it if you find it stupid.