Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

How did you manage to pump out the lava? I built a base on a lava planet and I am running out of room. I sunk shafts into the lava and sealed them off but the lava level doesn't lower no matter how many thousands of units I pump from the pool.

Unlike Terraria there's no airpockets and liquids will always rise to sea-level, so you need to seal off the bottom of your shaft-in-progress to pump out the lava, then build another section of the shaft and seal off its bottom, and so on. It makes the process needlessly tedious and not really worth it.

Remember to tile the background too or liquid will just spawn from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SovietPotatoe posted:

The only way to get rid of infinite liquids is to isolate a shaft, then fill it with back- and foreground blocks. Then you break the foreground blocks and the liquid stays gone.

lmao just lmao if you don't build your colony out of obsidian several miles below an ocean of boiling lava

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm at the Ruin now, and performance is poo poo even though the rest of the game runs silky smooth. Like, 10+ second waits for chunks to load levels of poo poo. Anyone else have that issue?

Yep, this is what happens when there's that many enemies on-screen. This is what ARTISANAL CODING gives you.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Excelzior posted:

lmao just lmao if you don't build your colony out of obsidian several miles below an ocean of boiling lava

I'm doing a pressurized Durasteel in a sulphuric acid ocean. Close enough I think.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

grimcreaper posted:

I'm doing a pressurized Durasteel in a sulphuric acid ocean. Close enough I think.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I don't get it... I can't brain today, I have the dumb.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cicadas! posted:

So! Now that 1.0 is finally out and they're not going to retroactively gently caress anything anymore, I've been working towards getting my happy little rock people up to speed. I've been working on a new ship, because I was really disappointed in the old one. It was just a giant ugly diamond shape with a single square room. Not very exciting.

Anyway, here's a work in progress picture of the new one. I wanted something compact, but still with enough room to live in, and I settled on the idea of "Space Camper." Given that they're highly nomadic and not too great with machinery, I figured they'd gravitate towards something that's not too flashy but easy to fix and customize, with a lot of storage space.

The yellow spots are for the thrusters, and the purple spot is where the teleporter will go. It's sunken into the floor because having a bump to walk over in your ship like that bothers me for some reason. You can actually get out onto the roof through that gap in the top, and jump around or put out some deck chairs or whatever. There's an invisible box at the edges of the rails, though, so you can't accidentally space yourself. The open top actually ties into my upgrade plan, too. Instead of having the camper get larger, I thought it would be cool to have a bunch of different ships join your caravan that you could get to from the roof by grav rail or something. I always liked fleets better than big ships anyway.

It's still rough in spots, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. What do you think?

good.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Any recommended mods? I got no fall damage, cos it's already easy enough to die and jumping off mountains is fun.

Weird that asteroid fields aren't zero g so you can jet around like Asteroids the game. The never ending falling is pointless.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Any recommended mods? I got no fall damage, cos it's already easy enough to die and jumping off mountains is fun.

Weird that asteroid fields aren't zero g so you can jet around like Asteroids the game. The never ending falling is pointless.
One I just installed: Racial Crafting & Printing.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

Rot-B-Gone makes food stackable and doesn't spoil. There's one that makes all EPP augs give off light, and instant crafting is a must if you ever want to make more than like 5 glass at a time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Met posted:

I don't know why you would use any augment for the EPP other than the Light.
I installed a mod which makes every augment act like it's also Light of its rank for exactly this reason.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cicadas! posted:

So! Now that 1.0 is finally out and they're not going to retroactively gently caress anything anymore, I've been working towards getting my happy little rock people up to speed. I've been working on a new ship, because I was really disappointed in the old one. It was just a giant ugly diamond shape with a single square room. Not very exciting.

Anyway, here's a work in progress picture of the new one. I wanted something compact, but still with enough room to live in, and I settled on the idea of "Space Camper." Given that they're highly nomadic and not too great with machinery, I figured they'd gravitate towards something that's not too flashy but easy to fix and customize, with a lot of storage space.

The yellow spots are for the thrusters, and the purple spot is where the teleporter will go. It's sunken into the floor because having a bump to walk over in your ship like that bothers me for some reason. You can actually get out onto the roof through that gap in the top, and jump around or put out some deck chairs or whatever. There's an invisible box at the edges of the rails, though, so you can't accidentally space yourself. The open top actually ties into my upgrade plan, too. Instead of having the camper get larger, I thought it would be cool to have a bunch of different ships join your caravan that you could get to from the roof by grav rail or something. I always liked fleets better than big ships anyway.

It's still rough in spots, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. What do you think?

Could you make a version of this that replaces the Human ships with the Space Campers, please? It sounds like a really cool idea, but I'm a space-racist :v:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Masiakasaurus posted:

There's one that makes all EPP augs give off light

Zereth posted:

I installed a mod which makes every augment act like it's also Light of its rank for exactly this reason.

I just grabbed this and it's awesome, thanks.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
How easy are mods to slot into an existing character save? Already made a vanilla character but some of these mods are sounding enticing. Is there anything I should be aware of prior?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Here's a tip for those who want to explore the bottom of Oceans.

The hoverbike moves at full speed even underwater.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I want to start building a house but I'm not sure where to do it.

A snow planet seemed interesting but I haven't progressed that far in the game yet.

Edit: Actually it seems normal snow planets don't require that EPP upgrade.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 29, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Inverness posted:

A snow planet seemed interesting but I haven't progressed that far in the game yet.

On that note, for when I work up the nerve to reinstall and shove in a bunch of mods.

Are there desert planets with no sandstorms?

When I was still actively having fun outside of the combat/survival stuff, I loved building in deserts because pink/blue sand looked cool, was easy to dig through for excavation and meant a ready supply of ingredients for glass. I also really liked Neon melons (which now apparently take 2 hours to grow, despite having no recipes tied to them according to the wiki :saddowns:).

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Slime's pretty awful ever since they made it collapse like loose silt. You can gently caress the entire mini-biome and a lot of the tunnels beneath it by mining the wrong roof tile.

WOW. RUDE.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Trying to give Starbound a new honest shot, really digging these long cutscenes with dialogue that just sits there that you can't progress through like I read at a 2nd grade level

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the fact that they're unskippable is loving awful but at least give us the ability to mash through the text to make it go faster

Slime posted:

WOW. RUDE.

get owned you useless loving sub-biome with lovely water that slows you down and like 3 different crafting materials that are only used to make a single thing

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Inverness posted:

I went with Lush because I started early and didn't know about sprinklers. It has a good amount of rain.

Other than that though, it really doesn't matter where you build a house or colony. Colonists don't need oxygen so asteroid colonies work even.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Yep, this is what happens when there's that many enemies on-screen. This is what ARTISANAL CODING gives you.

Since it's enemy number I switched to 4x zoom, then zoomed back out to 3x once I got to the boss. That seemed to work, thanks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Inverness posted:

the main thing that matters is if the planet scanner on the ship notes it as being particularly radioactive/cold/hot/whatever. if not then you don't need an EPP for it

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Well, now that 1.0 is finally out and I've played it for a bit, I'd like to bring up an idea I had for a modification to make guns more interesting and useful in the hopes that someone might find it interesting enough to do themselves or take inspiration from because I am absolutely horrible with code regardless of the language involved.

So the biggest issue with guns as I see them is that all the guns you are carrying on you are tied to your energy bar, which means if you burn through your energy with one gun you can't use any other on you until your energy regenerates. This makes things like dual wielding pistols or using anything that doesn't have an AOE attack pointless (I've found that the best guns are the assault rifles that fire a missile barrage on right click). This means that I rarely will keep a melee weapon on me as normal attacks really don't cut it most of the time and I'm not going to waste the energy for a melee special move when I need it in order to do any damage with a gun. This also means that I can't let myself fully run out of energy otherwise I am screwed if I need to use a tech in order to move my rear end away from the enemies as firing point blank is usually a bad idea.

So to overcome this issue I figured you would need to completely redo how guns function and this is what I have come up with:

• Guns are no longer tied to the player Energy Bar and instead use an internal Energy Pack that is built into the gun itself. Each gun has its own energy reserve, if you empty one gun you can switch to another while the original gun is recharging. I would use a UI element similar to the durability bar for pickaxes in order to show the current energy charge a gun has. So you can carry multiple guns on you and rotate between them, the downside is that a basic gun has a slower recharge time then the old system where it is tied to the players energy (this seems counter intuitive but it makes sense with the following points).
  • Each material tier would have a Pistol, Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle and Rocket. As you make better guns, they will come with better Energy Packs that have a higher max charge as well as have increased base damage or fire rate as applicable.
  • Guns are now modular: Copying the system from the backpack EPP Chips, each gun has several slots for Gun Modules. Low tier guns may have only one module slot while higher tier guns will have multiple slots.
    • Energy Pack Module: These will either increase the base max charge for a gun, increase recharge rate or both in high tier modules. Would probably want to cap these at a max of two for a single gun.
    • Behavior Module: These change the behavior of a gun or adds some of the already in game secondary effects, guns can only have one of these modules installed. For example a module that changes a pistol into a machine pistol, a module that adds the rocket barrage effect for assault rifles, a module that changes the rocket into a grenade launcher or proximity mine thrower, a module changes Sniper Rifles to fire tracer flechettes, a module that adds a chance for an AOE effect on hit, etc.
    • Element Module: This module adds an element to the gun's damage. If it is possible to deal multiple types of elemental damage at the same time, I'd say allow a gun to have one of each element attached, alternatively stack the same element to make the effect stronger. Got three FIre Element Modules in your Assault Rifle? Well now it acts like a flame thrower. This would probably require a lot of work.
  • Some modules can be crafted, while others could be loot found in chests or sold by merchants. If not all modules can be crafted maybe also add blueprints to learn the ones you cannot make by default as a rare drop.
  • I would think that having guns and their modules made at their own crafting table would probably be preferable in order to keep the Anvil's crafting UI uncluttered.

Anyway, that is my rant on how I think guns could be improved. I am a fan of the Novakid race so I think it is shame that guns are just such hot garbage to use in any fun manner.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

add the cumgun

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zereth posted:

Anyone have a name for this mod?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone have a name for this mod?

EPP Light Mod I think.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 29, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
So after reaching the point where you get branching armor paths, I found a health regen III augment, which recovers your health twice as fast as food, and stacks with food. I also found a crazy spell rod that casts a poison vortex for extreme dps and has a heal regen zone spell which is also crazy and also stacks with the health regen. Point is: I just facetanked the boss because I could outregen his damage.

Edit: forgot to mention the rod doubles as a lantern and emit crazy amounts of light, enough to keep your surroundings illuminated on dungeons.

It's strange how at the beginning of the game health regen is such a pain but now I can't seem to get a non full bar for more than a few seconds. You go from "way worse than terraria" to "10x as fast as terraria".Perhaps they should give the health regen augment very early on because it's way way better than light and solves one of the issues people have at the beginning.

Also please give me a "eat any food, the closest one to expire" and "use healing item" shortcuts. These would go a very long way.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 29, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Yeah, wands are loving insane. I found one in an Apex apartment and originally thought it was stupid, started using it in combat and loving lol. Insane damage, far higher DPS than any of the guns I have. Threw a shield in the off hand, so not only do I piss damage everywhere, but I also block anything that hits. Can also just throw salves in OH for regen instead, too.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Yeah, wands are loving insane. I found one in an Apex apartment and originally thought it was stupid, started using it in combat and loving lol. Insane damage, far higher DPS than any of the guns I have. Threw a shield in the off hand, so not only do I piss damage everywhere, but I also block anything that hits. Can also just throw salves in OH for regen instead, too.

shotguns get pretty good too. I got this one with burst fire, which is a cone shaped shot that has higher damage and knockback and can be used immediately before or after the normal shot for very high burst damage.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

nerdz posted:

shotguns get pretty good too. I got this one with burst fire, which is a cone shaped shot that has higher damage and knockback and can be used immediately before or after the normal shot for very high burst damage.

I've got one of those too. Having no CD between using a regular shot + the "special" shot is dumb. I have it on my bar "just in case", but the wand does so much damage for much less energy plus lets me have a shield, so I rarely need to use the shotty.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

nerdz posted:

So after reaching the point where you get branching armor paths, I found a health regen III augment, which recovers your health twice as fast as food, and stacks with food. I also found a crazy spell rod that casts a poison vortex for extreme dps and has a heal regen zone spell which is also crazy and also stacks with the health regen. Point is: I just facetanked the boss because I could outregen his damage.

Edit: forgot to mention the rod doubles as a lantern and emit crazy amounts of light, enough to keep your surroundings illuminated on dungeons.

It's strange how at the beginning of the game health regen is such a pain but now I can't seem to get a non full bar for more than a few seconds. You go from "way worse than terraria" to "10x as fast as terraria".Perhaps they should give the health regen augment very early on because it's way way better than light and solves one of the issues people have at the beginning.

Also please give me a "eat any food, the closest one to expire" and "use healing item" shortcuts. These would go a very long way.

The poison vortex wand is the best goddamn thing since the poison bullets pretty faithfully follow your mouse. The one I found had a secondary function that would suck in nearby mobs into a singular point so you'd lay that down and then activate the vortex and poo poo just can't do anything about it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Is this video game seriously telling me to scan every little goddamn thing in the Outpost?

EDIT: Oh the things I need to scan are just really similarly colored to things I've already scanned, cool, sick

Patware fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 29, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Green stuff only I think

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

green stuff is relevant for quests, blue stuff is stuff you haven't scanned, red stuff you've already scanned

you're hosed if you have any sort of colorblindness, though

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Wandering around feels more like I'm finding poo poo, I think I found a random quest just sitting around in the overworld, it doesn't seem like a huge pain in the rear end to get a bunch of tech stuff like chips and Manipulator modules.

The combat is still HOT HOT GARBAGE

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The best weapon I've found is a 1 handed poison grenade launcher that I found right at the beginning of the game. Carried me through the entire game as it is insanely good. It doesn't do much damage, only 14, but the "grenades" are ludicrously good. First of all since it is 1 handed you can carry a flashlight in your other hand. Secondly it doesn't actually fire grenades, it fires proximity triggered mines that blasts the enemies away from you (sometimes towards you...).
It is hard to explain how good it is, for example against flying enemies, you don't have to hit them just firing close to them will trigger the mine in mid-air. You can also put down several of them in the same spot then lure enemies towards the pile. You can also bounce the mines down shafts and small openings to kill enemies before they can touch you.

This is the only 1 handed grenade launcher I have found and I have beat the game, a new one with better stats would just be hilarious. Also, as I previously said, alien fruit juice gives you moon physics and coupled with the triple jump tech you can just hover in the air above enemies while putting down mines all over.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I don't get it how you're supposed to get tier 5-6 guards for colonies. There's fuckall high tier furniture to craft so what do? I'm building on a tier 5 planet and tier 4 guards get almost instasplat without support from turrets (which are also kinda underpowered).

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fewd posted:

I don't get it how you're supposed to get tier 5-6 guards for colonies. There's fuckall high tier furniture to craft so what do? I'm building on a tier 5 planet and tier 4 guards get almost instasplat without support from turrets (which are also kinda underpowered).

Edit: nevermind, I found this: http://starbounder.org/Tag:Tier7 but supposedly it has been removed from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Edit: nevermind, I found this: http://starbounder.org/Tag:Tier7 but supposedly it has been removed from the game.

Yup! They decided to make their game shittier by removing just about all the weapons and armors and even furniture you could craft. Or at least 80% of them.

Why? :iiam:. They could have left it as-is and just added more bosses and focused on the fun part, which was digging and exploring.