Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So me and a friend are looking at trying to design a better bluetooth headset that isn't £30 ebay crap nor upwards of £100+.

What kind of features do you guys look for in a headset, or want that isn't around?

Currently we're looking at using normal 3.5 jacks for microphone and earphones, along with swapable batteries and nfc for connecting to your phone/other headsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
e/ this came out more negative than I meant it to. I don't want to be a downer, but your project sounds ripe for mission creep (poorly defined and overly optimistic scope/goals being the main thing). I've been there, and it sucks, and I'd like it to not happen to you :dadsay:

Please buy a book on design anti-patterns and consume the whole thing before you go any further.

The range of NFC is effectively zero, it would be garbage for a headset.

Why would you want swappable batteries? Genuine question, but imo they're far more trouble than they're worth and there are better ways to solve the problems that make them seem like a good idea.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 28, 2016

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Nfc really for only getting the initial connection across between headsets, then it'll switch over to FM or whatever the rider to rider method we use, but its not a MVP, just something we thought we'd toss out there to see if people would want a simpler method of connecting.

Swappable batteries because if the thing dies mid-trip, your only real option is to toss it into your bag and leave it or wait until you can get to an outlet to charge it. It'd be much easier to pull over, swap the pack, carry on riding.

We understand and have experience doing a couple of things like this in the past, so of course asking you guys what you'd want on a device is the first step.

Edit: saw your edit, didn't come off as negative at all, used to work in advertising so harsh crit is best crit. We're trying to keep the mvp as minimal as possible for the initial stages, but it's good to get a big list of poo poo people would want.

Keket fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 28, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cool, no worries :)

Keket posted:

Swappable batteries because if the thing dies mid-trip, your only real option is to toss it into your bag and leave it or wait until you can get to an outlet to charge it. It'd be much easier to pull over, swap the pack, carry on riding.

Personally I'd say something that can run off of one of those battery extender blocks you can get for phones now would be better. Less loving around, it's one less extra thing to buy, and it would mean the unit could also work tethered to bike (if you have a power socket).

Weatherproof that poo poo though! Feels like every helmet device I see that comes "weatherproof" has the charging port under a dust/rain seal but nothing stopping water getting in through/around the socket itself if you have the outer flap open.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The Sena has a swappable battery but also has >10 hour life. The power draw for a well-designed bluetooth device is absolutely tiny.

Best of luck Keket but there's a reason there's a big gap in the market between the cheap ones and the good ones - basic bluetooth chipsets are dirt cheap but it's things like noise cancellation and decent quality microphones that drive up the cost of the good ones, and without that you'll never really be able to challenge the good ones and it'll still work out more expensive than the cheap ones.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah, weatherproofing is something we're looking into too with the designs.

I had a feeling it was the noise cancelling that would be one of the larger price points component wise, though decent quality microphones aren't too expensive nowadays. One of the things we're hoping to include is a mic-in line, so you can swap out the basic mic we'd include with an all singing all dancing one if you want.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

Yeah, weatherproofing is something we're looking into too with the designs.

I had a feeling it was the noise cancelling that would be one of the larger price points component wise, though decent quality microphones aren't too expensive nowadays. One of the things we're hoping to include is a mic-in line, so you can swap out the basic mic we'd include with an all singing all dancing one if you want.

That's still tricky because for decent noise cancellation it needs to be matched to the microphone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Renaissance Robot posted:

but your project sounds ripe for mission creep (poorly defined and overly optimistic scope/goals being the main thing). I've been there, and it sucks, and I'd like it to not happen to you :dadsay:

ayyyyy, project life.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i want a sena that costs half as much

edit: and has bass drivers

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The only thing that really matters is noise canceling. This is why the Sena 20S owns - it filters not just wind noise but also engine noise.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Keket posted:

What kind of features do you guys look for in a headset, or want that isn't around?

I want it louder and with better sound quality for music. :colbert:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Just cut out some holes in your helmet and install some good quality speakers bro!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's still tricky because for decent noise cancellation it needs to be matched to the microphone.

Yeah, I'm going to see what methods we can use to try and make it so if you do want to swap your mic out you can. I really hate the boom mic on my current headset, it'd be so much nicer if it was a little lapel mic velcrod on the front.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Razzled posted:

I'd settle for 0% finance :v:

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'd like a headset but I don't know what's on the market. What I think I want is just a quality mic that bluetooths or mic-jacks to my phone. I'll let my phone handle the intercom and music functions, so most of the Sena models are more than I need.

I just want a headset with a quality mic and speakers that links to my phone. What's that cost?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

Just cut out some holes in your helmet and install some good quality speakers bro!

Yeah, I'm going to see what methods we can use to try and make it so if you do want to swap your mic out you can. I really hate the boom mic on my current headset, it'd be so much nicer if it was a little lapel mic velcrod on the front.

Sena got you covered

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Z3n posted:

The only thing that really matters is noise canceling. This is why the Sena 20S owns - it filters not just wind noise but also engine noise.

Sena 20S + earbuds is The One True Way, laws be damned.

EDIT: earbuds, not headphones

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 28, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

Yeah pretty much.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've been super happy with both my Senas (a 10MHR and a 20S now). The weatherproofing thing boggles my mind, though. I spent HOW much on this, and it just has a little rubber gasket to cover the USB port?

On the other hand, I ride in the rain about 7-9 months out of the year, and have yet to have any significant issues, so maybe it's enough.

I use Bose noise-cancelling earbuds with mine, which has been absolutely phenomenal. 2 years now, and while I can still hear car noise/my bike/sirens/etc. I don't have to hear it as loud or insistently. I already have some hearing damage from my misspent youth, so I'm trying to protect my ears as much as I can.

There's a company who's making noise-cancelling wireless earbuds now, and I'm watching to see how they turn out. That would be pure loving magic. My current setup is pretty good, but no wires to tuck down into my jacket or untwist would be delightful.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Don't you route your excess cable around behind your pads?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

I've been super happy with both my Senas (a 10MHR and a 20S now). The weatherproofing thing boggles my mind, though. I spent HOW much on this, and it just has a little rubber gasket to cover the USB port?

On the other hand, I ride in the rain about 7-9 months out of the year, and have yet to have any significant issues, so maybe it's enough.

I use Bose noise-cancelling earbuds with mine, which has been absolutely phenomenal. 2 years now, and while I can still hear car noise/my bike/sirens/etc. I don't have to hear it as loud or insistently. I already have some hearing damage from my misspent youth, so I'm trying to protect my ears as much as I can.

There's a company who's making noise-cancelling wireless earbuds now, and I'm watching to see how they turn out. That would be pure loving magic. My current setup is pretty good, but no wires to tuck down into my jacket or untwist would be delightful.

Be very, very careful about using active noise-cancelling earbuds in environments where ambient noise is above the damage threshold as the way they work can, in certain circumstances, lead to inaudible but very damaging noise being pumped direct into your ear canals. Passive noise-isolating buds are fine though, as long as your helmet isn't putting pressure on them. Also I'm not sure what you want for weatherproofing? Like you say, it's obviously working...

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Lynza posted:

yeah what the hell the little rubber flap ripped off on mine while i was trying to charge it lol. hopefully it'll still work in the rain

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My scorpion t1200 has the sickest clean Sena install of all time. There is about 1/4" of wire showing anywhere on the helmet.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am thinking of getting an alurack and am looking for top case recommendations. Ideally something that would fit a 14.5 by 10 laptop.
Rack link: http://www.motomachines.com/Rear-Alurack--MV-Agusta-Brutale-675-800_p_3295.html

Also, how do people carry spare helmets with them when picking someone up for a ride?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

pokie posted:

I am thinking of getting an alurack and am looking for top case recommendations. Ideally something that would fit a 14.5 by 10 laptop.
Rack link: http://www.motomachines.com/Rear-Alurack--MV-Agusta-Brutale-675-800_p_3295.html

Also, how do people carry spare helmets with them when picking someone up for a ride?

I use this for a top box and it fits my 15" laptop perfectly. The inside is 16"x11"x6". As for carrying a helmet, get a stretchy cargo nets ($10 any motorcycle place) with hooks and pull it over the helmet and hook it down

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

pokie posted:

I used to bungee the helmet through the face on the bitch seat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

pokie posted:

Top case:

http://www.pelican-case.com/1450.html

They're indestructible.

Helmet:

Set it on the pillion under a secure cargo net.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Thanks for the recommendations. How do these cases attach to a rack? I didn't see any obvious way in the links.

Also is there enough space there for random junk like cleaning cloth, spare gloves, etc.? I don't want to need to upgrade for short distance touring later.

As for net over helmet - will it be secure enough with only two secure attachment points? I only got them near passenger foot pegs, and not the rear fender, which is just plastic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd mount them with some random hardware from home depot, including some nylock nuts.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

pokie posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. How do these cases attach to a rack? I didn't see any obvious way in the links.

Also is there enough space there for random junk like cleaning cloth, spare gloves, etc.? I don't want to need to upgrade for short distance touring later.

As for net over helmet - will it be secure enough with only two secure attachment points? I only got them near passenger foot pegs, and not the rear fender, which is just plastic.

Measure the holes on the rack and cut them into the case then just bolt them in. Get the fastest head bolts and probably a thin foam over the bottom of the case. I didnt do the foam and stuff definitely gets scratched sliding on the bolt heads.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

I used to bungee the helmet through the face on the bitch seat.

This is the filthiest sentence in SomethingAwful history.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
How often do I need to clean/lube the chain on a Rebel, as far as miles go? I tried checking the manual but it just said to clean and lube it when doing other things that require taking it off.

I've got some cheap little silicone earbuds that are shaped like a tree-shaped earplug so they provide great noise reduction on their own and I only have to run them at low volume levels to hear a bit of music but still be able to catch outside noises. Anyone know a good cheap bluetooth reciever with a headphone jack that would allow me to throw my phone on the handlebars for gps without creating a wire hazard?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do you guys all run helmets that don't have a double D-ring strap, or are you genuinely unaware of the little helmet strap hook literally every bike with a removable pillion seat has under there?

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

OK, what the gently caress is wrong with my GSXR?

2007 GSXR 750.

Regulator/rectifier failed back in May. Replaced it with one of the Rick's Motorsport mosfet ones...after that charging system was fine.

Battery started dying a few weeks ago. Popped the stator cover off, discovered the stator had burnt coils. Ordered new stator and gasket, replaced.

After testing it, was only getting 12.3-12.5 v when revving the bike. Mechanic said that most likely when the stator cooked, it cooked the new regulator/rectifier. Ordered another one - figured these are a problem that recurs enough that it couldn't hurt to have a spare after I send the other back for warranty.

Just replaced it now and...same loving thing. So at this point I'm on a new stator, new regulator/rectifier, and new battery...and my charging system still isn't working. What the hell am I missing here? None of the stator/regulator wires seem charred or damaged.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Do you guys all run helmets that don't have a double D-ring strap, or are you genuinely unaware of the little helmet strap hook literally every bike with a removable pillion seat has under there?

Some of us run bikes that don't have removable pillion seats.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TeamIce posted:

OK, what the gently caress is wrong with my GSXR?

2007 GSXR 750.

Regulator/rectifier failed back in May. Replaced it with one of the Rick's Motorsport mosfet ones...after that charging system was fine.

Battery started dying a few weeks ago. Popped the stator cover off, discovered the stator had burnt coils. Ordered new stator and gasket, replaced.

After testing it, was only getting 12.3-12.5 v when revving the bike. Mechanic said that most likely when the stator cooked, it cooked the new regulator/rectifier. Ordered another one - figured these are a problem that recurs enough that it couldn't hurt to have a spare after I send the other back for warranty.

Just replaced it now and...same loving thing. So at this point I'm on a new stator, new regulator/rectifier, and new battery...and my charging system still isn't working. What the hell am I missing here? None of the stator/regulator wires seem charred or damaged.

Diagnose each part individually - 60v AC at 5k rpm out of the stator at the plug, battery voltage as expected under start and load, r/r getting 60v AC in and 14ish V out to the battery.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

I have a removable seat, but no hook for a helmet. Guess I should :sever:?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

I have a removable seat, but no hook for a helmet. Guess I should :sever:?

Post a picture, I'll bet you do have one.*

*: If it's a Japanese bike

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Daemoxx posted:

How often do I need to clean/lube the chain on a Rebel, as far as miles go? I tried checking the manual but it just said to clean and lube it when doing other things that require taking it off.

200-300 miles is typical, I think?

Slavvy posted:

My helmet has a ratchet and no security ring. Even if it did I wouldn't be able to use the helmet lock on the bike because some genius at kawasaki decided to put it in a place where the helmet would have to sit directly on the hot exhaust can to use it. :argh:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Post a picture, I'll bet you do have one.*

*: If it's a Japanese bike

It's an '06 GSX-R 1000.

I've taken the seat off and spent a good 5 minutes searching for any type of hook, it's just not there.

I'll look again in the morning and post a pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

On a K6 or K7 GSXR the hook is actually under the portion of the seat that comes off...rather than in the bike itself.