Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

pokie posted:

Is there a guide somewhere to how different brands of helmets are shaped?

its old but i haven't seen any other similar compilations
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

pokie posted:

Is there a guide somewhere to how different brands of helmets are shaped?
Revzilla has shapes listed for most popular helmets on their site. It completely comes down to model over brand, though.

Example: RF-1200 fits me as if it were molded for my head. X-14 fits me well, but I find it a bit narrower and it simply doesn't fit as well.

Similar: Arai helmets aren't shaped right for me, but if I were to wear one, it would be a LG (I'm MD in Shoei). However, if I put on a Corsair X (and ONLY the Corsair X), I'd wear a MD with larger cheekpads.

That's why it's so hard to buy helmets online without having tried on a lot of stuff, having written down the info, and sending it off to RevZilla CS (or here, or wherever) to see if fitting into X/Y means you'll fit into Z.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Going into a shop and physically trying them on is the one and only way of getting a helmet that actually fits you. There is no magic method or handy lifehack for this.

Speaking of hacks, I've seen some people here recommend removing the cheekpads to try on store helmets, since it's the crown fit you're primarily concerned with.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Anyone have experience with Vanson technical or traveler pants?

I am looking at a couple of pairs for sale and already have a perf Vanson sport jacket that fits pretty well.

Also, I understand that the velcro on the thigh is for your gloves, but what about the velcro on the knees?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I know some knee protector pucks that are attached with velcro.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Thigh is for a map pouch, knee is for knee sliders.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The shark evoline is garbage. Please don't buy one.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Noted

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

If for some reason you need a modular helmet, you should really only but the Neotech or a Schuberth. Everything else is bad.

No one really even needs a modular. They're kind of useless. You can't ride with one open without getting a ton of wind resistance. They're heavier than standard full faces and generally more expensive.

Taking off a helmet is not hard.

Also the reason I'm bashing the Evoline is because they have a really lovely flip up mechanism that always breaks. Also if you flip it up in the wrong way it scratches the face shield.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Modular helmets make sense for cops, cause they can flip it up when they need to talk to someone instead of taking it off.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I dunno, I love having a modular helmet - it's good for say, running errands - I don't need (nor want) to take my helmet at the store. I just don't like carrying my helmet in general. It's also easier to talk to fellow riding when stopped. It's nice to flip it up and get some good fresh air at a light. I have a Neotec.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Partial Octopus posted:

No one really even needs a modular.

If I didn't run a modular, I wouldn't be able to see. :colbert: (it's not possible for me to don a fullface without pushing hair over my eyes, and gently caress wearing a balaclava)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

If I didn't run a modular, I wouldn't be able to see. :colbert: (it's not possible for me to don a fullface without pushing hair over my eyes, and gently caress wearing a balaclava)

Gonna rock your world here, but it's really easy to make sure your hair stays back when you put a lid on - instead of putting it on straight down, put your face in first so the neckroll pushes your hair back and then the liner should keep hold of it enough to stop it coming down as you rotate it down onto your head. I've had a good sensible protestant haircut for years now but that's still how I put my helmet on.

Also get a bloody haircut, you kids today need some national service to sort you and your hairstyles and trousers and misuse of the word "irony" out.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gonna rock your world here, but it's really easy to make sure your hair stays back when you put a lid on - instead of putting it on straight down, put your face in first so the neckroll pushes your hair back and then the liner should keep hold of it enough to stop it coming down as you rotate it down onto your head.

Any helmet with a neckroll wide enough to allow me to do this is too big. I know this because I tried it when I went helmet shopping.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Any helmet with a neckroll wide enough to allow me to do this is too big. I know this because I tried it when I went helmet shopping.

Then put your head back while putting it on.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - get a bloody haircut.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
no u

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Welp, I'm a dumbass. Open my chest this morning to dig out my waterproof gear and find everything, including my heated gloves, completely covered in green mold. :zombie:

This is what I get for not having a dedicated place at home to hang dripping wet gear up to dry. Any tips for getting this poo poo out? Last pair of gloves I let get moldy it seemed like no amount of washing would get the smell out.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Welp, I'm a dumbass. Open my chest this morning to dig out my waterproof gear and find everything, including my heated gloves, completely covered in green mold. :zombie:

This is what I get for not having a dedicated place at home to hang dripping wet gear up to dry. Any tips for getting this poo poo out? Last pair of gloves I let get moldy it seemed like no amount of washing would get the smell out.

Rubbing alcohol and then a figurative metric ton of leather conditioner.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The only thing that I've found to work for mildew is washing the item well (preferably with bleach, but laundry soap and water are ok too if bleach is too harsh) and letting it air-dry outdoors and hang in the sun for a couple of days. The fresh air and UV really work.

Yes, you can wash leather gear with soap and water. Just make sure to re-oil them really well afterwards, and for something like gloves preferably wear them for at least part of the drying time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is what you get for not getting a haircut.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Took a closer look after work, and while the outsides are totally :yikes: it doesn't seem like there's any in the liner, so even if they never come all the way clean I shouldn't get swamp hands from wearing them.

Weather's supposed to be nice the next few days so I'll take the opportunity to wash them a few times and leave them in the sun (no worries about shrinkage, only the palm is leather and it could do with being a bit tighter anyway)

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is what you get for not getting a haircut.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Took a closer look after work, and while the outsides are totally :yikes: it doesn't seem like there's any in the liner, so even if they never come all the way clean I shouldn't get swamp hands from wearing them.

Weather's supposed to be nice the next few days so I'll take the opportunity to wash them a few times and leave them in the sun (no worries about shrinkage, only the palm is leather and it could do with being a bit tighter anyway)

Real answer: after you do the above washes to get the actual mold/mildew out, another cold soak in Oxyclean or some similar detergent specifically for stinky synthetics and a dash of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap will take the last bit of stank out.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cheers. It's that lingering funk that's the worst.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cheers. It's that lingering funk that's the worst.

White vinegar's good for that, with the proviso that if it's leather you must clean and condition it immediately after.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

White vinegar's good for that, with the proviso that if it's leather you must clean and condition it immediately after.

Furthermore, keeping your leather treated frequently in the first place makes it a little easier to manage when something like that does happen.

I like this stuff:

Seat, jacket, gloves, etc.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Just got a shoei helmet, it's so comfortable and well-vented, after using a piece of poo poo Bilt hybrid helmet. Light too. Expensive as gently caress though, I'm debating taking it back because it was like $463 bucks. The other helmet I have isn't snell rated or anything, just dot compliant.

edit: Vv Woah, really? Yeah the one I got is the RF-1200

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 30, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
my neotec was 800 dollars, getting a helmet like the rf1200 for 460 is a deal

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

https://www.bikeminds.com/thethrottlestop/replacing-your-motorcycle-helmet

:can:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Condition the poo poo out of that leather and it will be fine. Mildew isn't death, but you should get a haircut. Even your hero Ash the pokemon got a haircut.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

At the end of the day, I'd rather spend the money to protect the gray yogurt in my skull than risk a helmet not protecting me.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I got the dainese drake super air pants. Not all that impressed. The fit is incredible and they look amazing but they really don't flow any air at all.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Partial Octopus posted:

I got the dainese drake super air pants. Not all that impressed. The fit is incredible and they look amazing but they really don't flow any air at all.
Cuz you don't have a Grom.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Can only ride a grom with shorts and a stryker vest.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I think the issue with the dainese pants is that the lovely dainese knee and shin armor has no ventilation. I'm going to try swapping it out with forcefield.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Nitramster posted:

Has anyone here mounted a go pro to the chin on their helmet? I got a session recently and put it on top my helmet, but I don't like the perspective. The chin area on my helmet is occupied by a vent slider, and most helmets I thin kI want are the same. is there some sort of clip that can be used to mount it sort of inside the helmet and then hold the go pro above the chin-vent apparatus?

Tardy to the party on this one, but I mounted mine on the front of my AGV helmet which has a fairly pointy chin. The curved GoPro mount had a fair amount of gap on either side, and I filled in the area with this stuff they sell at Lowe'd called Sugru. It's a moldable glue that cures to basically rock-hard overnight. It's held up just fine.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

TheScott2K posted:

Tardy to the party on this one, but I mounted mine on the front of my AGV helmet which has a fairly pointy chin. The curved GoPro mount had a fair amount of gap on either side, and I filled in the area with this stuff they sell at Lowe'd called Sugru. It's a moldable glue that cures to basically rock-hard overnight. It's held up just fine.

I have absolutely 0 space to mount the curved sticky mount onmy scorpion EXO 1100. It has the vent stuff, then it has an angle and then about half an inch to the bottom of the face.

Someone earlier suggested mounting it off to the left or right and using the longer arm to center it, I might do that. I'll post pics if I get around to it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just bought a Shoei RF-1200 to replace my RF-1100 that is lol old. Got the black and hi-viz model that matches my riding suit, so I'm now officially uncle hi-viz. $450 for a helmet hurts tho.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 31, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

450 bucks for the most critical piece of gear there is, the thing that will save your life in an accident, is not really that bad.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

450 bucks for the most critical piece of gear there is, the thing that will save your life in an accident, is not really that bad.

Yeah, and after a while using a cheaper helmet you really begin to appreciate where the extra money goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, and after a while using a cheaper helmet you really begin to appreciate where the extra money goes.

:agreed: