Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TheRat posted:

The research, which media commentator Roy Greenslade said confronted journalists, “and their editors, with the reality of their bias,” claimed there was a “strong tendency within the main BBC evening news bulletins for reporters to use pejorative language when describing Jeremy Corbyn and his supporters, including words like ‘hostile’ and ‘hard core’.”

This makes much more sense when you realise the BBC isn't attempting a fair and balanced representation of reality, but of the narratives coming from other major news outlets.

The prevailing view says Corbyn bad? Corbyn bad! (good approximately 10% of the time, maybe)

e/ in 1348, the Black Death spreads to central and western Europe, proving that free movement is a terrible idea and shouldn't be allowed.

e2/ I realise it should have been X358 but I hosed up and it's now too late to back down, much like brexit.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

toe knee hand posted:

Ehm. He moved the Liberal message to the left of the NDP for the duration of the election. The Liberal government has been decidedly centrist and not followed through on a whole bunch of their promises.

He's so dreamy though...

This is disappointing. I don't exactly follow Canadian politics and perhaps shouldn't be surprised, though

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Private Speech posted:

Guardian continues on it's inexorable march towards supplanting The Onion:

Search engines' role in radicalisation must be challenged, finds study

Why are you dismissive? This article raises important questions about the role of technology in terrorism and counter-terrorism.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Why are you dismissive? This article raises important questions about the role of technology in terrorism and counter-terrorism.

that image does seem to equate "learning about islam" with "terrorism" though

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Yinlock posted:

that image does seem to equate "learning about islam" with "terrorism" though

If the result brings up terrorist propaganda outlets when you search that, well that's part of the issue.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Guavanaut posted:

I don't know what a counterspeech event is, but when massive multinationals host them I'm suspicious.
I've got a mental image of them following any speech, just getting up on a stage, saying, 'I DISAGREE WITH ALL THE STATEMENTS MADE BY THE PRIOR PERSON' then dropping the mic, and walking away.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

If the result brings up terrorist propaganda outlets when you search that, well that's part of the issue.

fair enough

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

It doesn't.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Zephro posted:

I can't get internet over the phone line (4.6k of copper to the cabinet and no one is ever going to do anything about it), I have to drive for a pint of milk, oil fired heating is a pain and I can't drink after work. It's The Worst

Oil fired? Positive luxury we had a fire place, back burner and pump

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

I don't know what a counterspeech event is, but when massive multinationals host them I'm suspicious.

organized production of anti-right-wing messaging, so to speak

quote:

In one test, a think tank last year helped former members of right-wing and Islamist extremist groups create fake accounts to send private messages to current members of those groups. The messages prompted more, and longer-lasting, conversations than researchers expected, according to Ross Frenett, who conducted the test as a fellow at the Institute for Strategic Dialogue, a London-based think tank that studies violent extremism. Facebook was informed of the research but not the fake accounts.

Facebook also has provided ad credits of up to $1,000 to counter speakers, including Belgian comedian Arbi el Ayachi. Last year, Mr. el Ayachi filmed a video to counter claims from a Greek right-wing group that eating halal meat is poisonous to Christians. The one-minute video “was our take on how humor can be used to diffuse a false claim,” Mr. el Ayachi said.

In another initiative, Facebook teamed with the State Department and Edventure Partners, a consulting firm, to encourage college students to create messages to counter extremism. Last fall, 45 college classes from around the world participated in two competitions, where they were given $2,000 budgets and $200 ad credits.

“We need narratives that promote tolerance, peace and understanding,” Ms. Bickert told the group assembled for judging. “Those narratives can’t come from us. Those voices are you.”

There’s not much evidence that counter speech works, experts say. “Right now it’s an assumption” based on the premise that “better ideas ultimately defeat worse ideas,” said William Braniff, executive director of the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism at the University of Maryland.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Kurtofan posted:

When 91% of people will never look beyond the first page of a google search, looking at all 68,100,000 results and finding 44% are linked with violent messages when you look at innocuous keywords isn't particularly frightening.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

When 91% of people will never look beyond the first page of a google search, looking at all 68,100,000 results and finding 44% are linked with violent messages when you look at innocuous keywords isn't particularly frightening.

What if those results are on the first page?

This was already an issue when I was a teen and internet was still a wild new thing, searching about nazism on google would bring up neo-nazi websites first and foremost, when you consider the role internet has regarding mass radicalization, google must take steps to prevent dangerous content from reaching people who are easily manipulated.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 29, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

...claims from a Greek right-wing group that eating halal meat is poisonous to Christians.
:psyduck:

How the gently caress would that even work? Does the meat know? Do Muslims take an antidote every day as part of their prayers? Does it contain something that reacts with communion wine?

Seriously, baking into every person a skepticism and desire that people in power prove their hypotheses and show their working could do so much good.

limited posted:

I've got a mental image of them following any speech, just getting up on a stage, saying, 'I DISAGREE WITH ALL THE STATEMENTS MADE BY THE PRIOR PERSON' then dropping the mic, and walking away.
The Labour coup then? :v:

Zephro posted:

4.6k of copper to the cabinet and no one is ever going to do anything about it
At least you get copper and aren't in one of the areas where the cables are made of recycled milk bottle tops because copper is expensive.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

How the gently caress would that even work?

Probably via the same action that gives me a burning/itching sensation every time I enter a church :devil:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Incense? Poor air quality?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

How the gently caress would that even work? Does the meat know? Do Muslims take an antidote every day as part of their prayers? Does it contain something that reacts with communion wine?

there's the certified-nutbar version where the meat is genuinely tainted by malign demonic influences at some level, which I have had personally attested to me by some Buddhists and Christians but not, curiously, anywhere in Britain.

the slightly-less-nutbar version goes like this. This one I have seen in the UK; it was especially popular when the horsemeat scandal was in the popular consciousness.

the least nutty version focuses on animal cruelty and assorted alleged hormonal/chemical impacts of having animals killed by burly men with sharp knives - not especially objective but nothing that would look out of place in standard organic-granola writing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

the slightly-less-nutbar version goes like this. This one I have seen in the UK; it was especially popular when the horsemeat scandal was in the popular consciousness.
:lol: "One of the things that halal kill plants are notorious for is putting already-dead animals in the human consumption line."

Yes, one of the things that halal kill plants are notorious for is one of the major things forbidden by halal. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if some slaughterhouses were breaking code, not just halal but USDA and red tractor and all sorts, but that's not something specific to halal, it's just the industry.

I like that it makes excuses for kosher food too, which is near identical. That's interesting because the UK versions I've seen tend to be more "[some country] has banned halal and kosher food! Like and share if you think animal welfare is more important than religion."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

What if those results are on the first page?

This was already an issue when I was a teen and internet was still a wild new thing, searching about nazism on google would bring up neo-nazi websites first and foremost, when you consider the role internet has regarding mass radicalization, google must take steps to prevent dangerous content from reaching people who are easily manipulated.

Could you please link the terrorist propaganda that's on the first page of those google searches?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Andrast posted:

Could you please link the terrorist propaganda that's on the first page of those google searches?

I don't think it's up to me to do that kind of research, but the possibility to abuse the new media is there and vigilance is key.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I don't think it's up to me to do that kind of research, but the possibility is there.

Answer: There is none.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I don't think it's up to me to do that kind of research, but the possibility to abuse the new media is there and vigilance is key.

It sort of is if you're suggesting google hasn't refined it's search algorithm since 1993.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

Clearly, Momentum should be nationalised.

So you're saying the Party should become the State? :ussr::hf::hitler:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Sort of, I can't remember when it was first unified but I think we're just outside of 1000 years from it still? I seem to remember it being just before the Norman conquest. Mostly I wanted to say that because it won't be true for very much longer.

The Norman conquest was rather famously in 1066. England was made a unified thing by this chap in 927AD - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86thelstan - then briefly became part of a Scandinavian empire - you may have heard of Canute and his thing with turning back the waves, but it's more properly spelled Knut - then back to being its own thing before the Normans rolled on up. If things had gone otherwise we might still be culturally part of Scandinavia, social justice, high taxes and rotten fish for all!

Edit: and this is for the actual unified state. You could probably talk of an England quite a while before that, just like there was 'Germany' and 'Italy' long before 1870 or so.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 29, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Send all the english back to Athelstan imo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Æthelred is the only king I submit to.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

This is disappointing. I don't exactly follow Canadian politics and perhaps shouldn't be surprised, though

Disappointing compared to what was promised but it's still a colossal breath of fresh air compared to what came before. ie: A decade of loving idiot Harper betting everything on the ecological disaster that is the tar sands.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Æthelred is the only king I submit to.

Do you think he's prepared for that?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Niric posted:

Do you think he's prepared for that?

Hoho, you fell into my trap, I was not referring to the King of England, but the kings of Mercia and East Anglia!

My Middle Anglian blood lusts for Hwicce death.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden
OJ has an interview with Jeremy Corbyn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGXVHHxxnZQ

Haven't watched it all yet but 45 mins of interview seems promising.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OvineYeast posted:

45 mins!

haven't clicked yet but am hoping for either OJ Simpson or for Corbyn to be talking to an unresponsive carton of tropicana for the best part of an hour

e: hopes dashed

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Angepain posted:

haven't clicked yet but am hoping for either OJ Simpson or for Corbyn to be talking to an unresponsive carton of tropicana for the best part of an hour

e: hopes dashed

Hope IS a mistake, comrade

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Incense? Poor air quality?

I was mostly joking (referencing the nutbar theory ronya posted), but those things do actually make me pass out.

All the better to indoctrinate me with their mind waves :tinfoil:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least they've got lead roofs so the cellphone radio waves won't turn you racist.

Unless someone's nicked the lead again.

Then the radiation leaks in and you start blaming it on Latvians.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Hoho, you fell into my trap, I was not referring to the King of England, but the kings of Mercia and East Anglia!

My Middle Anglian blood lusts for Hwicce death.

:eng99:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

At least they've got lead roofs so the cellphone radio waves won't turn you racist.

Well, they nicked the lead from the roof!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*hastily builds Hwiccepedia to document atrocities*

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

OvineYeast posted:

Haven't watched it all yet but 45 mins of interview seems promising.

Jeremy made a maths mistake at 5:20, he said "25% increase" when it should have been 33%.

Not fit to be leader.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Guavanaut posted:

I think you'll find the Latvians were innocent and it was those dodgy 2 Corinthians.

Express posted:

Correction - Amazing things we get back if we leave EU - 26/7/2016

On 20 May 2016 we published a gallery headlined 'Amazing things we get back if we leave EU'.

The gallery was formed of 11 images. Each image carried a caption. The captions for images 3 (eggs), 5 (jam), 6 (water) & 9 (swedes) were inaccurate. In the case of caption 3 (eggs), the caption claimed that "A dozen eggs: In 2010 the EU said that food could not be sold by number but by weight". In 2010 the European Union was considering legislation governing food labelling. In June 2010 Renata Sommer the MEP responsible for steering the legislation confirmed 'There will be no changes to selling food by numbers". In fact a consumer who purchased eggs in the UK would be able to do so by number. Caption 3 (eggs) was therefore incorrect. Given that 4 of the 11 captions were incorrect this gallery has been deleted.

Edit https://twitter.com/ja_madden/status/758240859313827840

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 29, 2016

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

I've always thought the easiest way to deal with that kind of bullshit (wherein papers spout lies and then correct them in a tiny box on page 36) would be to force newspapers to announce corrections on the front page of the following edition.

You can bet giving up juicy headlines would force rags like the Express to do a little more fact checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

quote:

Express posted:
Correction - Amazing things we get back if we leave EU - 26/7/2016

On 20 May 2016 we published a gallery headlined 'Amazing things we get back if we leave EU'.

The gallery was formed of 11 images. Each image carried a caption. The captions for images 3 (eggs), 5 (jam), 6 (water) & 9 (swedes) were inaccurate. In the case of caption 3 (eggs), the caption claimed that "A dozen eggs: In 2010 the EU said that food could not be sold by number but by weight". In 2010 the European Union was considering legislation governing food labelling. In June 2010 Renata Sommer the MEP responsible for steering the legislation confirmed 'There will be no changes to selling food by numbers". In fact a consumer who purchased eggs in the UK would be able to do so by number. Caption 3 (eggs) was therefore incorrect. Given that 4 of the 11 captions were incorrect this gallery has been deleted.

Can we get a link to this correction? I believe it deserves a wider circulation.

• Locked thread