Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Doctor Malaver posted:

And how would you define 'legitimate'?

Let's imagine this situation... Narva's citizens express desire to hold a referendum. Estonian government refuses. They hold an unofficial referendum and say that the results are overwhelmingly in favor of Leave. Estonian government doesn't recognize it. Various polls and surveys confirm that the majority of citizens are in favor of Leave. So is it legitimate?

Somewhat related, do you feel the citizens of Northern Cyprus made a legitimate statement of self-determination?

The Narva example you give would be legitimate, yes. The Estonian government in that case would be denying part of its population its legal rights by refusing them the ability to exercise their right to self-determination.

I am unsure as to why you are bringing up North Cyprus given it's the result of a coup to unite the island to Greece and a military invasion by Turkey in response. In neither case did any of the people of Cyprus exercise their right to self-determination in a democratic manner. Unless you are referring to something more recent, in which case I'd like you to be more specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doctor Malaver posted:

What if citizens of Narva or some other town in the Baltic region with a large percentage of ethnic Russians voted for their region's independence? And then later voted to merge with Russia?
It'd say no, as allowing it would be rewarding conquest and ethnic cleansing, which is not a precedent you want to set.

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is correct. The right to independence comes from disenfranchisement.
No.

Nitrousoxide posted:

US states don't have the right to succeed. We fought a war over that. Perhaps you've heard of it?
It's secede.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If Trump wins then his spelling is more likely to be the correct one. :laugh:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Tesseraction posted:

If When Trump wins

I must hand it to Democratic party, they somehow managed to find a candidate less electable than Trump, that's not an easy accomplishment.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Puistokemisti posted:

I must hand it to Democratic party, they somehow managed to find a candidate less electable than Trump, that's not an easy accomplishment.

Unelectable by the standards of a freakish white nationalist is very different than unelectable by the standards of a human being with a soul.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Puistokemisti posted:

Do you mean on policy or personality?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nitrousoxide posted:

US states don't have the right to succeed. We fought a war over that. Perhaps you've heard of it?

That is not strictly true, they only have no right to secede unilaterally.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Torrannor posted:

That is not strictly true, they only have no right to secede unilaterally.

Not to mention the civil war itself was started due to Confederate aggression.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is correct. The right to independence comes from disenfranchisement.

So could you kindly explain how every single independent state today is or has been disenfranchised in a way that gives them a right to independence?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tesseraction posted:

Not to mention the civil war itself was started due to Confederate aggression.

Right, but the result of the war settled the dispute about the legality of both slavery and unilateral secession in the USA.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

If Trump wins then his spelling is more likely to be the correct one. :laugh:
Then the EU and the US will be even more alike.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So, in the European context, a rich region would be totally justified to declare it's independence from the larger country it belongs to, and than can stay in the EU to continue to benefit from the infrastructure and resources of its former nation?

That would be a terrible system.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's abolish all nations

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

Let's abolish all nations

Agreed, and we should start with Germany.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GaussianCopula posted:

So, in the European context, a rich region would be totally justified to declare it's independence from the larger country it belongs to, and than can stay in the EU to continue to benefit from the infrastructure and resources of its former nation?

That would be a terrible system.

Which part of Germany are you from? Laying the groundwork for Bavarian independence?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

YF-23 posted:

The Narva example you give would be legitimate, yes. The Estonian government in that case would be denying part of its population its legal rights by refusing them the ability to exercise their right to self-determination.

You should post this in the Eastern Europe thread. The reactions would be... interesting.

YF-23 posted:

I am unsure as to why you are bringing up North Cyprus given it's the result of a coup to unite the island to Greece and a military invasion by Turkey in response. In neither case did any of the people of Cyprus exercise their right to self-determination in a democratic manner. Unless you are referring to something more recent, in which case I'd like you to be more specific.

The ethnic composition of Narva is a result of an undemocratic process (planned relocation of Russians, original citizens couldn't return) in USSR some 60 years ago. The ethnic composition of North Cyprus is a result of an undemocratic process (military invasion) some 30 years ago. Where do you see the big difference?

Deltasquid posted:

Self-determination only exists, legally speaking, in a colonial context. Because the decolonization process is why the UN formulated it that way in its charter. It was not meant to apply to developed nations.

A good discussion of this can be seen in the Supreme Court of Canada's reference regarding the secession of Quebec. Obviously other countries are free to disagree with the SC's findings but it did go over international precedents and found that the arguments pro Quebecois self-determination are... Lacking. It's specifically question 2 addressed by the SC in its reference.

Thanks, this was interesting to read and it's something that I can get behind. I wonder how Catalunya's situation differs from Quebec's.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Tesseraction posted:

Agreed, and we should start with Germany.

Why Germany?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
It's a sign Tesseraction all is worked up when he starts to post about grammar and pretends he didn't read or understand your post and responds accordingly. Not the first time :newlol: :newlol: :newlol:

Tesseraction posted:

Nice of you to admit to it, but I'm not a thread shitter and only reply to people like yourself to as to not tacitly endorse your poor faith arguments by ignoring them. Also saying "a single question" is pretty rich when you asked two, both of which were special pleading.

I actually asked more than two and observed you didn't bother to answer a single one. But I guess this goes with your "pretending to be illiterate" thing and then responding as such, to annoy other people. Sorry, doesn't really bother me. You are a thread shitter, or at least used to be, but it seems for a day you have actually managed not to post about "white/brown people". That's pretty good.

quote:

Hmm, yes, clearly the unbiased eye of a totally-not-racist idiot waxing lyrical there.

I do not know man, that thing is by and gone, but Swedish/Finnish papers reported a group of "Swedish men" were arrested for a rather heinous crime, but it actually was a group of guys from Somalia with Somali passports... Is reality somehow forbidden in your opinion or what the hell.

quote:

Right, that out of the way, your two questions.

The questions that interested me, and which you somehow prentended to miss, were these:

Ligur posted:

But I have to ask, do you really believe that people who are worried about the European migration trends only post or are interested about these issues because...

- They want to say bad things about "brown people", yet are so devious that they talk about poorly handled migration and integration, just because that is just a way they get to say bad things about other people.
- And not because they are genuinely worried about something and might have some valid reasons to feel like this.

I guess you already answered another poster about these later, and concluded that worrying about immigration can only be racist (or am I wrong?), thus tagging you as an objective, clear headed individual with no ideological issues at all.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

You should post this in the Eastern Europe thread. The reactions would be... interesting.

The ethnic composition of Narva is a result of an undemocratic process (planned relocation of Russians, original citizens couldn't return) in USSR some 60 years ago. The ethnic composition of North Cyprus is a result of an undemocratic process (military invasion) some 30 years ago. Where do you see the big difference?

I don't care for the Eastern Europe thread; as much as Russia is the bad guy waving his dick all over its neighbours faces, they are too quick to demonise it as the source of all evil. I used to hang around in it a year or two back and stopped because of that.

I don't know the explicit demographic history of Narva and the surrounding region, but for Northern Cyprus you are partially wrong. It wasn't as monolithic before the population exchange for sure, but there was a Turkish-Cypriot community before then. In either case it is far too late to change what happened 60 years ago. You cannot take back Stalinist relocations, you can't take back the Turkish invasion of northern Cyprus, and you certainly can't take back the 60 years of people being born, growing up, living and dying in those places.

The big difference, since you asked for it, is that you presented me with a hypothetical perfectly democratic procedure in Narva that would take place today, with the invasion of Cyprus. I would like to think there's a difference between those.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

In either case it is far too late to change what happened 60 years ago. You cannot take back Stalinist relocations
No, but you can choose not to continue his work, which letting the Russian minorities in the Baltics secede and then join Russia would be.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Integratin 1% of total population worth of a heterogenous stream of foreigners isn't insignificant at all, are you being serious? Remember the time FOX published a graph going all the way to like 200C to illustrate that observed temperature changes were too insignificant to cause global warming?

Someone like A Buttery Pastry or YF-23 could inform other posters what Sweden did to their immigration policy earlier this year.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No, but you can choose not to continue his work, which letting the Russian minorities in the Baltics secede and then join Russia would be.

I don't think that depriving ethnic minorities of their rights in 2016 is a good or effective way of stopping "Stalin's work". Whatever Estonia and Latvia are doing right now seems to be good enough, if there's a Russian secession movement in those countries it has not been significant enough to matter.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ligur posted:

Someone like A Buttery Pastry or YF-23 could inform other posters what Sweden did to their immigration policy earlier this year.
You mean close their borders because they ran out of room to house asylum seekers?

YF-23 posted:

I don't think that depriving ethnic minorities of their rights in 2016 is a good or effective way of stopping "Stalin's work".
Russians in those countries are only ethnic minorities in the sense that they're the remnants of colonial rule, and ceding that territory to Russia would be rewarding it for crimes against humanity. Not creating that precedence is worth depriving ethnic minorities* who already have a country of their own of the right to take the territory they occupy with them.

*Minorities within those countries, but having a nation state right next door which vigorously defends and project their culture outside its own borders.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You mean close their borders because they ran out of room to house asylum seekers?

Sweden remade immigration laws, or rather their policy regarding asylum seekers a while ago (normal migration not being a problem anywhere). They are now much more strict.

They even introduced border checks before that last year, which were said to be hitler. Yeah Sweden also ran out of space, so every old motel, farmhouse and barn in the middle of nowhere is now a refugee center.

Or am I wrong.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 29, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ligur posted:

Sweden remade immigration laws, or rather their policy regarding asylum seekers a while ago (normal migration not being a problem anywhere). They are now much more strict.

They even introduced border checks before that last year, which were said to be hitler. Yeah Sweden also ran out of space, so every old motel, farmhouse and barn in the middle of nowhere is now a refugee center.

Or am I wrong.

Sweden is smaller than Zanzibar? I don't think that's true.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Sweden is smaller than Zanzibar? I don't think that's true.
It's significantly colder.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Brainiac Five is occupies the same mental channel with former Swedish PM Fredrik Reinfeldt who said that when he flies over Sweden in his jet, he can see endless forests and fields which means Sweden is not out of space. You don't really need infra, roads, houses, schools, hospitals, teachers, doctors, whatever poo poo that doesn't matter.

I wonder of Fredrik, Brainiac and the tesseractions of the world would be equally impressed and admire the logistic efficiency of dropping people into Greenland or perhaps the Sahara Desert. There is plenty of clear land there after all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ligur posted:

Brainiac Five is occupies the same mental channel with former Swedish PM Fredrik Reinfeldt who said that when he flies over Sweden in his jet, he can see endless forests and fields which means Sweden is not out of space. You don't really need infra, roads, houses, schools, hospitals, teachers, doctors, whatever poo poo that doesn't matter.

I wonder of Fredrik, Brainiac and the tesseractions of the world would be equally impressed and admire the logistic efficiency of dropping people into Greenland or perhaps the Sahara Desert. There is plenty of clear land there after all.

Sweden is so overloaded it has no room for more housing to be constructed? Sounds like Europe foisted the refugees off on a dystopian hellscape, but still a better one than the vast swamp to their east.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Sweden is so overloaded it has no room for more housing to be constructed? Sounds like Europe foisted the refugees off on a dystopian hellscape, but still a better one than the vast swamp to their east.
Constructing housing takes time. If Sweden had just let these people keep coming while they were building new housing, they would have frozen to death.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also, housing anywhere where people actually want to live is loving expensive.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Brainiac Five posted:

We can build a series of housing projects, maybe in the modernist style. They should be huge, and kinda lovely. A bit outside of big cities, and people can take the subway there maybe??
You might call it... The million program?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Constructing housing takes time. If Sweden had just let these people keep coming while they were building new housing, they would have frozen to death.

Racism is a far more likely explanation for the border closure IMO.

Wild Horses posted:

We can build a series of housing projects, maybe in the modernist style. They should be huge, and kinda lovely. A bit outside of big cities, and people can take the subway there maybe??
You might call it... The million program?

So you're saying construct immigrant ghettos? Appalling.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's been months since the refugee crisis began. More than enough time to have begun building housing. The "we're too full" argument seems nothing more than another embodiment of "Arabs/refugees are grasping parasites", to be frank. Anyways, good thing Sweden is immune from natural disasters given its lack of spare housing capacity.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Arglebargle III posted:

So you're saying construct immigrant ghettos? Appalling.

we already did, we won't do it again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Programme

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

It's been months since the refugee crisis began. More than enough time to have begun building housing.

The housing market, well known quickly reacting to changes (aside from just increasing rents/prices).

The cities haven't had enough affordable housing for like a decade.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

The housing market, well known quickly reacting to changes (aside from just increasing rents/prices).

The cities haven't had enough affordable housing for like a decade.

Well, if you leave it to the free market, no wonder people are dying.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Brainiac Five posted:

Housing costs money and time (especially in Sweden), it also needs accompanying infrastructure such as roads, schools and easy access to public welfare. For immigrants with mostly lacklustre education levels (for compatibility with the current labour market) one also needs to hire massive amounts of extra specialized personnel such as teachers and migration administration officers (multi year educations here). In addition there needs to be employment opportunities for the arrivals and their dispersal/housing needs to be carefully managed to not further enhance social segregation and the associated problems.

These problems are solvable, but takes considerable investment in both economy and time, especially as the electorate does not like sudden changes to the status quo. People who claim that Sweden can easily accept large amounts of refugees because it is relatively rich is loving dumb, it can more easily accept refugees due to being rich, but it is still limited by logistics and limits in public will. There is a very real reason why the local populist party has popped from 0% to 20%, heavily supported by the working class, the class that will need to compete for the same services, housing types and low entry skill jobs in an economy and job market adapted to the large middle class. I assume the previous policy/lack of policy towards immigration will haunt the country politically in various forms for a long time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

It's been months since the refugee crisis began. More than enough time to have begun building housing.
Even if they had started the project back when the crisis first began, the housing likely wouldn't have been ready to move into by the time they closed the border. I mean, even outside planning and zoning (including the whole infrastructure around the housing, as Zudgemud points out), which could take a good chunk of time even without political wrangling, you'd also have to actually build the housing, which could easily be bottlenecked by lack of capacity in the factories producing the elements you'd need to build it. I mean, that's actually an issue you run into occasionally with just the present demand, adding a massive housing project on top like this would make it a near certainty.

Brainiac Five posted:

The "we're too full" argument seems nothing more than another embodiment of "Arabs/refugees are grasping parasites", to be frank. Anyways, good thing Sweden is immune from natural disasters given its lack of spare housing capacity.
It had spare housing capacity, it just got filled up by refugees. Also, we're talking a liberal democracy here, no plans can be made for anything more than 1 months in the future unless it directly puts money in the pockets of rich people.

Arglebargle III posted:

Racism is a far more likely explanation for the border closure IMO.
Well yeah. If the rest of Europe had been as welcoming as Sweden, it wouldn't have reached capacity anywhere near as fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Dawncloack posted:

Oooh look, someone who had not been missed in this thread.

Your butthurt posts when people aren't following your lunatic opinion on that separatist issue are just textbook examples for cheerleading and calling for lynch mobs on people with different opinions. Oooooooh look, somebody not completely on board with the Holy Separation From Spain, probably paid by the Spanish government, hey thread, let's gang up!

Address the sovereign citizen comparison instead, I'm very interested. Also I'd be really interested to know why Europe desperately needs more small countries.