Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thanks, I knew I was forgetting one of the biggies.

E: I also forgot sawing in half, flaying, boiling and scaphism. That last should probably be reserved for characters who have both Cruel and Lunatic, though.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
You also forgot the persian one where you poo poo yourself to death while having insects eating your flesh.

If you find it interesting, here's the wikipage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism

e: aw you added that you forgot it.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 28, 2016

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Wasn't there a Mongol thing where they wrapped the victim up in a carpet then rode horses over them to avoid spilling noble blood?

Blood eagle as a Norse method needs to be in too.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also, I believe there was also being hamstrung and left to starve on the steppes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

Wasn't there a Mongol thing where they wrapped the victim up in a carpet then rode horses over them to avoid spilling noble blood?

Blood eagle as a Norse method needs to be in too.

Pretty sure that the blood eagle got debunked as a myth, or at least there's no evidence it ever really happened. That's no reason not to include it, mind you.

Also there's the possibility of the fustuarium, though I don't know how you'd implement it or for whom. That's the one where a soldier who committed a crime against his comrades was forced to run a gauntlet of them as they struck him with staves and rocks.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Blood Eagle is medically implausible and there's no non-saga sources for it actually happening.

But damnit it's lame as hell when you are playing as one of Ragnar's sons in the Old Gods start and can't Blood Eagle King Aella for killing your dad.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

marktheando posted:

But damnit it's lame as hell when you are playing as one of Ragnar's sons in the Old Gods start and can't Blood Eagle King Aella for killing your dad.

But you can?
You can choose Blood Eagle and my favorite "Four balls for the Ravens"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aella had four balls?

I must play as Ragnar Lothbrok some time.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Four balls - His eyes and his testis.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

The new DLC sounds cool and all but to be quite honest. There's too much poo poo in the game now. A lot of stuff just feels tacked on.

It's been too much poo poo for way too long, in my opinion. I would gladly skip a tacked on mechanic for a DLC with a few hundred more "drama" events.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
man, it is unreal how goddamn slow that warhammer mod runs. its at a second a day and its only 20 years in.

I'm going to imagine its something stupid as hell thats causing all the lag; something that makes the CK2 castration process hogging look silly.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Groogy posted:

But you can?
You can choose Blood Eagle and my favorite "Four balls for the Ravens"

Ooh nice. I'm assuming that has been added since the Old Gods launch? That's when I last played a son of Ragnar and definitely didn't get that.

In fact one game I played AI Ivar caught Aella, won the war, and promptly let him go! There wasn't even a "murdered my dad" opinion modifier.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

TheCIASentMe posted:

You keep saying this even though people have said before that it's not just the patch items that they hate.

And when they give reason other than it makes the map harder to paint I'll give there opinion a single thought. Just play eu4 or hearts of iron if that's what you want.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
what was that one execution the persians had? something about wiping poo poo or honey or something all over a man, then strapping them in a swamp somewhere and leaving them to get eaten alive by bugs

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Volkerball posted:

what was that one execution the persians had? something about wiping poo poo or honey or something all over a man, then strapping them in a swamp somewhere and leaving them to get eaten alive by bugs

Right, weird I was just thinking about that one too. Surprised nobody has mentioned it three times already! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Let's hear it for the Bronze Bull!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Not sure if this is the right place, I don't have PM's, but felt like advertising some dude https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding/comments/4uw42p/the_gods_and_kings_of_the_great_lakes_2789_ad/ is pretty much just ripping off after the end mod and touting it as his own ideas for the most part. Since I know alot of goons were involved I thought this was kinda lovely especially since he seems to want to try to publish something that is pretty clearly ripped off just thought people might like to know.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So it's not even a mod, but an insipid "world-building" exercise.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I decided to play a bit of nomads again. How the hell do I survive as a smaller realm? I started as Khirgiz in 1066 and it was going fine (light cavalry is apparently good enough to break most armies of similar or slightly bigger size). But inevitably, I will get attacked by someone who has twice my troops while already fighting a defensive war against someone else.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Everything is weird in my Khaganate of Mali game. The Rise of the Shia fired basically on day 1, they managed to win, and are now completely in control of Andalusia. Karl became a French Cathar, while Karloman took over West Francia from him and became Waldensian (And also French). The current ruler of West Francia is Pepin, also Waldensian, who just lost a Prepared Invasion of Frisia to... Viric Udonen, the Germanic High Chief of Latium (So prior to this invasion he punched out the Pope). Ragnarr Lothbrok was assassinated in 796, leaving his son Emund in an 8-year regency. Additionally, two of Karloman's daughters came to the court of one of my khans all on their own and are providing me with CBs I could currently press to get either of them on the throne of the duchy of Aquitane, or into anything Pepin holds if the stars align in future.

If I took one of those West Francian princesses as a concubine, would the children of that union inherit the inheritable claims?

e: Turns out I can't concubine them because it would be taking a title claimant away from the other khan or something. But I just cemented marriage-based alliances with the kings of Pictland and Asturias.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 29, 2016

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So it's not even a mod, but an insipid "world-building" exercise.

Eh Worldbuilding can be a fun hobby, but it annoys me when I see people essentially steal a setting file some serial numbers off and try to pass it off as their own or say it was merely "inspired" by the former world.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

Not sure if this is the right place, I don't have PM's, but felt like advertising some dude https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding/comments/4uw42p/the_gods_and_kings_of_the_great_lakes_2789_ad/ is pretty much just ripping off after the end mod and touting it as his own ideas for the most part. Since I know alot of goons were involved I thought this was kinda lovely especially since he seems to want to try to publish something that is pretty clearly ripped off just thought people might like to know.
I'm honored that we could serve as inspiration for aspiring mapmakers. He could improve a bit if he got GIMP and learned a bit about paths and artistic effects- as it is, it almost looks like he used old MS Paint and tried to replicate the crinkled-paper look by just using the 'spray' function slowly and meticulously absolutely everywhere, and hand-drew the borders.

It's just worldbuilding. I'd be a little more agitated if he was trying to present it as his own donut steel CK2 mod.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm honored that we could serve as inspiration for aspiring mapmakers. He could improve a bit if he got GIMP and learned a bit about paths and artistic effects- as it is, it almost looks like he used old MS Paint and tried to replicate the crinkled-paper look by just using the 'spray' function slowly and meticulously absolutely everywhere, and hand-drew the borders.

It's just worldbuilding. I'd be a little more agitated if he was trying to present it as his own donut steel CK2 mod.

Just thought I would bring it to your attention if you got no problem with it thats fine. Also since I saw it people have commented how it looks similar to ATE and he is giving credit.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why do non-pony cultures still default to light infantry if sent away as mercs? Ye gads

Also in after the end you can't make elephants even after moving your capital to the gosh darned Amazonian Jungle

My plan to have the Libertarian Hordes of Clan Trump invade America through Mexico on war elephants: ruined

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

GrossMurpel posted:

I decided to play a bit of nomads again. How the hell do I survive as a smaller realm? I started as Khirgiz in 1066 and it was going fine (light cavalry is apparently good enough to break most armies of similar or slightly bigger size). But inevitably, I will get attacked by someone who has twice my troops while already fighting a defensive war against someone else.

Try to get marriage alliances with neighbours. It provides you an ally who might protect you in wars, and it's one fewer neighbour who might attack you.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also in after the end you can't make elephants even after moving your capital to the gosh darned Amazonian Jungle

That's probably because there aren't any elephants in South America. :eng101:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GHOST_BUTT posted:

That's probably because there aren't any elephants in South America. :eng101:
We're talking about a mod that has no football happening in South America; we're beyond anything even approaching realism

Edison was a dick posted:

Try to get marriage alliances with neighbours. It provides you an ally who might protect you in wars, and it's one fewer neighbour who might attack you.
Remember that as nomads, you can also have 3 concubines, so entering matrilineal marriages ain't no big thang.

Also, you should be tributing fuckers as well, not just for cash, tech and opinion bonuses but for chaff to tie up enemies while your troops form the hard core that turns battles, sieges behind enemy lines, massacres small stacks and fleeing troops and just fucks poo poo up.

Then you reach a certain size and you are making too much money and have too big stacks of mad cav and it's all gravy from there

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
If you want to be powerful as a Nomad, don't pillage everything. Make your way towards civilisation as soon as possible. Their land has a better holding density. Pillage to free up this land and get some extra cash and tech points. Don't pillage down to below two holdings though. If it has at least two holdings it doesn't have to be shared with the clans. Once you've moved into civilised lands you can make the clans independent and leave that hassle behind.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'd actually say never pillage at all, really, except if it's tribals because losing holdings when you can only build temples is a pain and tribal baronies are a sad, sad joke.

Orrrr, you can use your fat stacks to slowly turn the steppes into theocrocies, which you then organize into duchies and release, de-steppifying the steppes and finally eliminating all the other clans so that when you finally settle, there's no hassle from those that remained and letting you easily subjugate/diplo vassalize the lot.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As Emperor of Scandinavia, I made a slight error in judgement in parcelling out Kingdoms and only then passing the law for Kingdom Viceroyalties.
50 years later, the King of Finland joins a faction that gets brutalised when they go to war with me and - after shuffling Council members around - I was able to revoke the title and give the Viceroyalty to someone hopefully less irritating.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

As Emperor of Scandinavia, I made a slight error in judgement in parcelling out Kingdoms and only then passing the law for Kingdom Viceroyalties.
50 years later, the King of Finland joins a faction that gets brutalised when they go to war with me and - after shuffling Council members around - I was able to revoke the title and give the Viceroyalty to someone hopefully less irritating.

How many kings do you have under you? I guess Scandanavia only has a couple de jure kingdoms but when I played an Indian unification game I started off handing out kingdoms as Viceroyalties but I eventually just handed them out as full titles because it was such a hassle constantly finding suitable viceroys every time the old one died (admittedly India has like, 15 kingdoms so there's a lot of turnover)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Just give them to one of your viceroy dukes that pisses you off the least in the de jure kingdom? It's not a lotta effort, really. Double up if they happen too rapidly, I guess.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

CK2Plus is good again. Disables Shattered Retreats by default & adds a lot of functionality and cool religions, plus the Year 1000 bookmark which owns.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Alikchi posted:

CK2Plus is good again. Disables Shattered Retreats by default & adds a lot of functionality and cool religions, plus the Year 1000 bookmark which owns.

But last time I checked, no macbeth bookmark. Not yet worth it!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Volkerball posted:

Marco polo said that after the sacking of Baghdad, the Mongols locked the caliph in a tower full of gold and material possessions, and left him in there to die. :getin:

I dunno, I heard horses trampled him while he was wrapped in a rug. *shrug* But hey,...another potential thing to add to 'ways to be executed'. They had lots of creative ones on how to do it without 'shedding royal blood'.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 31, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
e: ugh no, original opinion redacted

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 1, 2016

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oh God how do I emperor? This is my first game and somehow lucked into getting elected Emperor of the HRE. Now I'm inundated with requests to create kingdoms and usurpations. Any good guides?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Do you have to get it at the forums and not just through a branch at githhub? I mean, I could dig up whatever the gently caress it was I registered it to and what dumb moniker I picked there but it's way simpler to just download the latest zip

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How else are you gonna keep up with updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Oh God how do I emperor? This is my first game and somehow lucked into getting elected Emperor of the HRE. Now I'm inundated with requests to create kingdoms and usurpations. Any good guides?

Congrats, you've just possibly screwed up your game, being Holy Roman Emperor if you weren't expecting it can be a very dangerous proposition as you are now the #1 target for every pissed-off person in your country (and possibly some outside of it too). But don't fear! If you play it right you could end up basically unstoppable by the AI in 50-100 years. Here are some tips to make sure your realm doesn't implode, and you might even have a chance of keeping the title and trying to swing it to stay with your family.

1. DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY KING-LEVEL TITLES TO NOT-YOU. The reason for this is that I doubt you have a ton of levies or power. As soon as you make a King vassal he'll be happy but strong. Eventually the happy will wear off and now you have a strong vassal. If you enjoy being Emperor he will make sure you (or your heir) do not.

2. Try and break-up any strong vassals. Is the Duke of Bavaria suddenly the Duke of Bavaria, Austria and half the other duchies in Germany? This is Bad. Try to get a revoke plot running against the guy. If you know you're stronger than him, wait till you catch him in a plot and then try to imprison him. When it fails you can win the war and yank whatever title is his most problematic. Then release him and repeat until he's no longer scary.

3. If you're trying to make the HRE not-elective a rebellion may actually be what you want. The reason for that is you can revoke a whole bunch of titles after you win, then give them to loyalists and shove the rebels underneath allowing you to get that all important "no vassal count or higher has a negative opinion of you" criteria so you can change the succession laws. Once you switch out of elective the title should stay with you indefinitely. Here's how you do it. Say the Duke of Austria rebels. You win and now he's in prison. What you do is revoke the Duchy of Austria. Then, give it to either a) someone else in de jure Austria who likes you or b) someone else in your realm who likes you, ideally a dynasty member. Then the ex-Duke of Austria will fall under the current Duke and not be your problem. You can ransom him for gold or just let him languish in jail, your call.

4. Related to the above, vassal transfers can be your friend. If some random Duke is pissed he doesn't have control of the County of WhoGivesAFuck, transfer it to him and you'll get a net gain in opinion of 35, (losing the -25 malus and +10 for vassal transfer).

5. Don't over-extend yourself until your inheritance is secured. So you've kept the HRE for a bit and now Croatia or Burgundy or somewhere else is looking rather tantalizing. Before you conquer, make sure you're not about to put yourself in a bad spot. If you have factions at around 50-70% be aware that going to war could kill enough of your guys that they end up >100% and try to enforce their demands. Also be aware that you yourself could die while at war. If you're still in Agnatic Elective and all your kids are ladies, congrats you just lost the HRE. There's plenty of time in the game, no need to try and do everything at once.

6. Once you are stable, if you want to rapidly expand find claimants to other kingdoms. If you invite them to your court and grant them a title when you press their claim to the throne they'll become your vassal. This is fairly easy in an Empire as you can just build a new holding and give it to the guy, or if you are sitting on 8 or 9 holdings, just give him one you don't really care for. Really easy way to absorb big areas once you're strong enough. You can also try vassalizing the Pope for infinite money.

Hope those tips help. It should help you keep control of your new title. I'm working on a Roman Empire restoration game and using these principles after starting at the Charlemagne bookmark, I'm at 870 and only need to conquer Alexandria and Jerusalem to complete the Empire.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 1, 2016

• Locked thread