Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

EvilBeard posted:

Whenever some edgy kid calls me a human being, I just hit him with the truth. Something like this: There are waaaay worse things than being gay. Like being him. I couldn't imagine being a terrible, garbage, ignorant person who will contribute nothing to the world, be a disappointment to my parents, family, and society in general. Yeah, I'd rather have sex with people I find attractive. That's just horrible. Generally they'll just shut up or rage tilt.

this is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

exethan posted:

ghandi's edpi was 69, requiring an incredible 420 inches to turn the other cheek

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Smithereens posted:

i think in your price range you shouldve gone for a new gtx 1060 or a rx 480 unless you got the 960 for significantly less than $200

I got it open box cheap. My plan is to upgrade my mobo/cpu/ram in the next month or so, buy new monitors and a new gpu the month after.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

If anyone has an ESEA code i'd greatly appreciate one, I just blew 6 months of money on FaceIT after most threads said it gets better when you get ranked (it doesn't..)

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Photex posted:

If anyone has an ESEA code i'd greatly appreciate one, I just blew 6 months of money on FaceIT after most threads said it gets better when you get ranked (it doesn't..)

:( face it loving sucks sry brother

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

exethan posted:

:( face it loving sucks sry brother

Yeah I just transfered all my skin's to a smurf I couldn't play on esea with my main due to a ban 10 years ago lol

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Photex posted:

Yeah I just transfered all my skin's to a smurf I couldn't play on esea with my main due to a ban 10 years ago lol

once a hacker always a hacker bitch

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Owned

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
faceit is good with a stack, esea is better for solo queueing

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

what's a good rank to make the jump to esea?

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I get pooped on in esea pugs pretty regularly and I'm le-lem

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ArmZ posted:

what's a good rank to make the jump to esea?

I bounce between LEM and smfc and I do well enough. Esea has significantly dropped in overall skill the last couple years, some people are stupid as gently caress. handily, if you suck someone in esea will let you know

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
http://plays.tv/video/579b66eeb6be0391dc/it-was-ok

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Smithereens posted:

once a hacker always a hacker bitch

If I was a rapist I'd be out of jail, that's how old my VAC ban is

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

EvilBeard posted:

I have a quad core i7-2600, 16GB of ram, and my old gpu was a 1GB 560ti GTX. I ordered a 960gtx 4GB gpu which should be here tomorrow.

NVENC, which is Nvidia's hardware video encoder chip, landed in the GeForce 600 series. You should get a pretty big performance boost, since right now your CPU is encoding the video, and CS:GO is a CPU-intensive game.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Photex posted:

That's cool.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I believe in hacker rehabilitation

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Photex posted:

What a great comparison.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Macnult posted:

What a great comparison.

I couldn't think of any other crimes that get you 10 years.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Photex posted:

I couldn't think of any other crimes that get you 10 years.

arson murder manslaughter assaultning an officer of the peace being black possession intent to distribute larceny

i think theres more but i'm not sure i'm gonna go google it.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Going door-to-door to inform your new neighbors about your VAC ban history. The kids feel uneasy and don't trust you, and the parents are too old to understand.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Photex posted:

you are still guilty of raping little kids in video games. literally scum...

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

Smithereens posted:

you are still guilty of raping little kids in video games. literally scum...

Yeah, like they always say even other criminals in prison despise the rapists and pedophiles, but I think they'd all come together to hate the hackers if they were ever put behind bars where they belong.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Rosh posted:

Yeah, like they always say even other criminals in prison despise the rapists and pedophiles, but I think they'd all come together to hate the hackers if they were ever put behind bars where they belong.

"What're you in for?"

"I was caught wall-hacking in a LAN."

*Pulls out toothbrush shiv* "You cost me all my rarest skins... And now it's gonna cost you yours."

Edit: The shiv is styled to look like a marble fade.

woodch fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 29, 2016

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If you think about it Vac ban discrimination is Internet felony and now all you can do is sweep my floors at lan bitch

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
ESEA has pretty much always been superior to FaceIT imo, except maybe that time that the queues got really long apparently.

Pros of ESEA:

Instant joining of servers, also no cancelled games. One of the absolute most aggravating things on FaceIT.
Secure Anti-Cheat
Better servers
Never get shafted by having Captain pick the shittest server for you (mostly an EU problem).
Less leavers, slightly less toxic.

Cons of ESEA:

If you solo Q, you can be put as a ringer in garbage losing games.
People playing weirdly aggro to pad their RWS (less of a thing than it was)
YOU HAVE TO PAY
It's run by douchebags, kinda.
No map veto system if that matters to you.

The thing I like about ESEA the most is that I've only ever run across like one, maybe two, dodgy people ever, in all my games. It all just feels so much more...legit. It's so noticeable that you're not getting bullshitted by some Private Profile, Rank 1 exp account. It has a real peace of mind factor. In general, although the calibre of players is probably relatively similar, there's an extent to which everybody just seems more "poo poo" than usual.

ZeBourgeoisie
Aug 8, 2013

THUNDERDOME
LOSER

Jeza posted:

I'm pretty sure using your already paying customer's GPUs to mine precious buttcoins puts you over the douchebag threshold.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jeza posted:

I live in RI, I know LP|Kane intimately, I watched him cry at a local lan after getting eliminated in the opening match by a PUG.

http://elite-pimps.com/match_history.php?view_match=80

Photex fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 29, 2016

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right
The bitcoin mining is in the past though right?

Not that giving them god knows how much access to your system with the always-on anti-cheat is much of an improvement.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

ZeBourgeoisie posted:

I'm pretty sure using your already paying customer's GPUs to mine precious buttcoins puts you over the douchebag threshold.

Yeah. It's not clear exactly how involved upper management was in that fiasco, although it seemed like lpkane knew. The kinda is mostly just there because not everybody there sucks, and it's not like the people who own it affect your day to day play.

e: drat that elite-pimps link reminded me that it was pretty standard to play out the full 30 rounds. Kids these days think a 16-0 is the ultimate stomp :banjo:

Jeza fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 29, 2016

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've been watching some competitive CS:GO over the last three or four months and am going to the ELeague semifinals and final this weekend. I've never played the game and have a few questions that I've been unable to sufficiently answer for myself, so I hope to find some answer here. Thanks for your patience with my ignorance.

I believe I have heard the casters refer to a team going for a "default setup". What does this entail? Does it vary map to map? Is is just T or CT side thing, or both? Similarly, I think I have heard a bomb plant location referred to a "default plant" and I have a guess at what that means, but I'd like to know for sure.

Roughly how much does a "full buy" cost per player, assuming that player did not survive the last round. I assume it may differ between sides and weapons/grenades may vary in cost, but what is an approximate amount of money that you see and know you can do a full buy.

My understanding is that competitive CS:Source never really took off enough to make competitive 1.6 play go away, and that there were concurrent competitive scenes for both. Why did Source not eclipse 1.6?

What are the main differences in gameplay between 1.6, Source, and GO? I assume the games are different on more than a cosmetic level.

Why was Inferno removed from the map pool and Nuke added? In my very little experience watching CS:GO, Inferno was the only map for which I'd kind of say to myself "Oh good, I like this map" (though I couldn't articulate why). When I went to the ELeague studio and Nuke came up as map 3 in a Bo3, everyone seemed to groan.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

venutolo posted:

Why was Inferno removed from the map pool and Nuke added? In my very little experience watching CS:GO, Inferno was the only map for which I'd kind of say to myself "Oh good, I like this map" (though I couldn't articulate why). When I went to the ELeague studio and Nuke came up as map 3 in a Bo3, everyone seemed to groan.
Valve has started reworking some of the active duty maps. They took Train from Reserves, revamped it, and then switched it with Nuke in active duty. Nuke went to reserves, Valve then revamped it, and then switched it with Inferno in active duty. Presumably they're going to rework Inferno and switch it out with another map (dust2, maybe).

People probably groaned about "Newke" because it's notorious for FPS drops.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

venutolo posted:

Roughly how much does a "full buy" cost per player, assuming that player did not survive the last round. I assume it may differ between sides and weapons/grenades may vary in cost, but what is an approximate amount of money that you see and know you can do a full buy.

full buy for a terrorist is about 4700, give or take, and ct full buy is about 5100-5200. ct could be more actually, pros almost always buy incendaries and kits are $400, but usually all 5 players dont buy a kit.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

venutolo posted:

I've been watching some competitive CS:GO over the last three or four months and am going to the ELeague semifinals and final this weekend. I've never played the game and have a few questions that I've been unable to sufficiently answer for myself, so I hope to find some answer here. Thanks for your patience with my ignorance.

I believe I have heard the casters refer to a team going for a "default setup". What does this entail? Does it vary map to map? Is is just T or CT side thing, or both? Similarly, I think I have heard a bomb plant location referred to a "default plant" and I have a guess at what that means, but I'd like to know for sure.

My understanding is that competitive CS:Source never really took off enough to make competitive 1.6 play go away, and that there were concurrent competitive scenes for both. Why did Source not eclipse 1.6?

What are the main differences in gameplay between 1.6, Source, and GO? I assume the games are different on more than a cosmetic level.

hello and welcome to this flaming dumpster of a thread!

-a default setup can mean a couple of things depending on the map and which side you are on--terrorists default to spreading out getting map control and information about players playing on the bombsites and looking out for what utility grenades are used on which sites. they are also watching out for aggressive pushes or stacks. for counter-terrorists this also depends on maps, but for example on dust2 the usual default setup for buy rounds for the map is 1 mid, 2 long a, 1 cat, and 1 b site. a default plant is the most common spot for the bomb to be planted so that people on your team know where the bomb is planted and can position themselves to defend it.

-a full buy for counter-terrorists is more expensive for terrorists because weapons like the ak (2700) and grenades like the molotov (400) cost less. counter-terrorists need to buy the m4 (3100) and incendiary (600). bare minimum for cts is 4100 and about 5-6k if you want good utility. terrorists can manage with 4k for a good buy.

-i can't answer your question about cs1.6 vs source. i played both, but honestly don't remember much about the competitive scene other than people didn't like the updated graphics and steam (rip wonid)

-there are a lot of differences that would probably take too long to list. fundamentally they are the same game, but global offensive is updated and has some different mechanics such as weapon accuracy, a wider swath of guns, and updated economic system.

-inferno is getting updated just like nuke was and will be readded to the map pool soon(tm).

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 29, 2016

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

venutolo posted:

a default does vary map to map, but the concept describes a terrorist team setup at the start of a round designed to kind of hold map control and cut off CT aggression/look for picks. it's generally a bad idea to group up all in one place at the start of a round, because it allows the CTs to reward aggressive plays that give them information and constrict your options on the map. so you'd use a "default" setup until you've gathered some information or gotten a pick, at which point you can group up and execute your strat for the round. For example, a typical "default" on dust2 might be one holding outside long doors in T spawn listening for how many CTs are holding long; 1-2 players in upper/lower B holding for pushes through B or aggressive catwalk plays, a sniper in T spawn looking for picks in mid, and 1-2 players working the upper middle/catwalk area. From that setup you can then send people to take long, you can take control of CT catwalk or middle, or you can group up to take B.

money varies by side - on CT you want a minimum of like 4,200 or so to buy an M4, kevlar(no helmet), and a couple grenades. on T side it's about the same, the AK is cheaper than the M4 but you can't really get by with a helmet. You can buy AK+kevlar/helmet+1 flash for 3,900, which is about the least amount of money you'd ever want to even consider spending on a full buy round. Anything less and you'd be stuck with a galil or famas.

I can't tell you why you liked inferno, but my suspicion is that because it was such a hugely CT-sided map, someone new to the game might not know this and get excited by the propensity that has to lead to huge comebacks. Not hugely uncommon to see a team take an 11-4 lead on inferno and then lose the game. valve seems to want this to not be the case, as they reworked nuke, train, and cbble already (all maps that used to be varying degrees of CT-sided). Train is still pretty CT-sided but less so than it used to, nuke seems to be less so now (you used to see 14-1 scorelines on nuke regularly), and I'd argue they even turned cbble into a T-sided map now.

e: welp beaten

real dilemma fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 29, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

venutolo posted:

I can't answer your questions about Source, but I'll try with the rest.

On T side, "default setup" is essentially the team spreading out to cover all possible avenues of advance towards CT. The goal of this is to make sure you don't get flanked, feel out the defence, listen for sound cues, peek to check if someone shoots at you and so on. It serves largely to counter possible CT aggression - if you're holding an angle and they try to get aggressive, you're qute likely to get at least one, and even if you get traded, that still tends to favour the terrorists. Obviously you don't go into default to win the round - after some time has passed and you have some information, or after you get some picks, you start a site take that much stronger (or weaker - decisive and focused CT aggression can counter defaulting and put you in an unfavourable position numbers-wise, while if the CTs were patient and did not hand out that much information, you're going into the action with roughly the same odds, but far less time, which can force your hand and cause you to make mistakes).

On CT-side, as far as I know, default setup is mostly the same - but given that unless you're playing aggressive or stacking a site, you'll be covering all approaches anyway, so that term tends to mean "typical split between positions".

On both CT and T, defaults vary between teams and maps (in who goes to cover what avenue and where from exactly), and every team usually has several defaults for each map.

Default plants are simply the most typical plants on a given site. Some sites have a single spot where 90% of pros plant (B site on Train comes to mind immediately), while others do not. Other types of plant include "safe plant" (where you're unlikely to be shot when the site is not fully taken or if the rotation comes in quickly), "open plant" (where you and the bomb are readily visible, making it harder for CTs to find cover while defusing) and "plant for X location", where the bomb is planted in such a way that a player in that spot can easily pick off the defuser (in such situations, the casters will often said that the bomb is planted for that player).

Full buy on T-side is 1000 for kevlar and helmet, 2700 for AK and 400-1200 for grenades, so 4100-4900 dollars; on CT side it's 650 for kevlar, 3100 for an M4 and 400-1400 for grenades, plus, optionally, 400 for the defuse kit (usually only bought by two or three richest guys on the team until the economy is stable) and 350 for helmet (which is far less optional, but in a pinch you can skip it) for a total of 4150-5900. Obviously it's much higher if you're buying the AWP, which is why many AWP-focused players will be much more frugal with their buys on ecos and anti-ecos. Also note that on both sides teams will often refuse to fully buy if everyone is near the lower end of the range I've outlined - it leaves you very starved for nades and CT gear, so they may opt to save, particularly if going for double AWPs or the like.

Why exactly Inferno was removed from the map is Valve mystery, but the general complains about the map was that it was becoming too CT-sided and the meta got stale with just how long you could keep the Ts from doing anything meaningful by using your smokes right. Valve seems to be aiming at refurbishing most, if not all, maps in a fashion similar to what happened to Nuke, and so far only Inferno and Dust II avoided this treatment (Cache and Overpass were both introduced in CSGO, which is why they were known as "customs" for a while, Cobblestone, Train, and Mirage received the treatment before Nuke did) and it's a safe bet Inferno is headed for a rehaul (Dust II may be too iconic and pubbie-loved to ever get it).

The reason why people cringe when Nuke is picked has, I feel, less to do with the merits of the map (because I will not let anyone besmirch Nuke in my presence) and more with how it got pushed into the rotation REALLY quickly. It was something like a month tops between it coming back and it coming back into the rotation. This means the map is still being explored and there is no solid meta for how to play it, especially on pro level, and a lot of teams shun it for that reason.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
now lets vote on who answered the same question the best

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Buns wins because hes gamer

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

speaking to the differences between 1.6 and CSGO (I did NOT get into source, I feel it was cludgy and had even worse registry issues than CSGO does, I played for a few months and if someone was running, I did not wamt tp shoot directly at their model, but either in front of or behind I forget which).

1.6 was much easier to be a 1 man army in, although at the pro level team-play was still extremely important, it was much more of a twitch shooter, also grenade play was completely different, and the deagle was the side arm of choice especially for awpers. HE grenades could hit through walls and did more damage vs armored opponents. Smoke grenades were even more of a crapshoot than they are now, you could gently caress with settings (or use certain GPUs) and smoke would never even show up, or showed up so lightly you could see through it. I forget about flashbangs, I don't think they used to deafen you but maybe only made you blind? Did I mention the deagle was awesome? It was.

The game flowed differently due to differences in accuracy, movement and a ton of other little stuff (maps/layouts and how grenades worked etc), also, in a real 5-man match against decent opponents a save round was literally a save round, there was no buying armor+pistol and getting kills you 100% full saved and often sat in your spawn to not give the other team kill money, I haven't played in 8 years and I could be (am) leaving a lot of stuff out due to gaps in memory. You could pull up some 1.6 pro matches and see how they played, a quick search of top teams from 1.6 pulls up this:

1.Frag eXecutors(Golden5)
2.SK
3.NiP
4.Team3D
5.mousesports
6.NoA
7.NaVi
8.ALTERNATE aTTax
9.mTw
10.fnatic

SK, NiP and team3D were probably my favorites, also I think fnatic was really bad in 1.6, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

MF_James posted:

You could pull up some 1.6 pro matches and see how they played, a quick search of top teams from 1.6 pulls up this:

1.Frag eXecutors(Golden5)
2.SK
3.NiP
4.Team3D
5.mousesports
6.NoA
7.NaVi
8.ALTERNATE aTTax
9.mTw
10.fnatic

SK, NiP and team3D were probably my favorites, also I think fnatic was really bad in 1.6, but I could be wrong.

Just a quick followup: Frag eXecutors (aka PGS Poker Strategy, AGAIN, and a bunch more, but these are the longest-standing names) is Neo, TaZ, Kuben and (towards the end) Pasza, also loord (who now coaches Kinguin and played in the team for a while) and luq (who retired). fnatic is where f0rest and GeT_RighT started off, they also played on SK later on. NiP was a completely different team, but I think all of its former players are already retired (2003 NiP is still touted as possibly the greatest lineup in CS history). Na'Vi had Zeus, Edward, starix and markeloff. I think that about covers the familiar names from this list.