Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

TeamIce posted:

On a K6 or K7 GSXR the hook is actually under the portion of the seat that comes off...rather than in the bike itself.

I'm gonna kick my own rear end if I look in the morning and this is true...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm gonna kick my own rear end if I look in the morning and this is true...

get ready to then. I wondered the same thing with my k7 750.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Just to be safe, let's all kick our own asses.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My GL-1000 has a sticker on the frame noting where the helmet hook should be, but the actual hook is missing.

The joys of 40 year old bikes. :allears:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Slavvy posted:

Post a picture, I'll bet you do have one.*

*: If it's a Japanese bike

FZ-09 does not have one. It is annoying as Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Wouldn't the helmet bang against the side of the bike once moving if locked to it like that?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

Wouldn't the helmet bang against the side of the bike once moving if locked to it like that?

Every one of those I've ever seen comes with huge warnings that it mustn't be used when the bike is in motion. And they're all reliant on the chin strap going through them, which is nice and secure.

(MY DUCATI comes with something almost like a Kensington lock system, a wire that hooks under the seat and goes through the chin bar, so it's at least secure, but certainly doesn't stop people using it as an impromptu litter bin/urinal)

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

TeamIce posted:

get ready to then. I wondered the same thing with my k7 750.

Sooooo yeah. I'm gonna go kick my own rear end now.

To be fair though, I've never seen a hook under the seat itself, so it never crossed my mind to look there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was gonna say, my 04 gsxr had two helmet hooks, so your 07 should at least have one

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Gorson posted:

Just to be safe, let's all kick our own asses.

This seems smart.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My clutch slips when I upshift at full throttle and maximum power (e.g. doing a fast merge onto the highway). It's not terrible, but I notice about a 1 to 2 second delay where the RPMs stay high even with the clutch released before it bites and continues to accelerate.

Is this normal behavior? Is the clutch worn out? Do I need new springs or a racing clutch or something?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is not normal behavior and your clutch might be worn or your springs might be limp and bad

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

My clutch slips when I upshift at full throttle and maximum power (e.g. doing a fast merge onto the highway). It's not terrible, but I notice about a 1 to 2 second delay where the RPMs stay high even with the clutch released before it bites and continues to accelerate.

Is this normal behavior? Is the clutch worn out? Do I need new springs or a racing clutch or something?

Just take it apart and look, it's usually the plates worn out and not the springs gone flaccid on technologically 'modern' bikes with decent metallurgy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mechanical or hydraulic clutch?

Lube the cable first if mechanical.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Be very, very careful about using active noise-cancelling earbuds in environments where ambient noise is above the damage threshold as the way they work can, in certain circumstances, lead to inaudible but very damaging noise being pumped direct into your ear canals.

Can you elaborate on this? Before I bought my headset as a student helicopter pilot, I asked my instructor if the various ANR headsets which are popular are any good. I mentioned that my ears have been very well-cared for and my hearing is much better than average for someone of my age, and I want to continue looking after them, at which point he said then you probably won't like ANR headsets, which initially seems weird. I figured that it's related to the fact that ANR relies on sound waves of the same volume as the harmful sound to properly cancel it out, and that if the timing isn't quite right or whatever it's going to subject your ears to loud volumes, but haven't thought more about it since I bought a passive headset, which works great.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Before I bought my headset as a student helicopter pilot, I asked my instructor if the various ANR headsets which are popular are any good. I mentioned that my ears have been very well-cared for and my hearing is much better than average for someone of my age, and I want to continue looking after them, at which point he said then you probably won't like ANR headsets, which initially seems weird. I figured that it's related to the fact that ANR relies on sound waves of the same volume as the harmful sound to properly cancel it out, and that if the timing isn't quite right or whatever it's going to subject your ears to loud volumes, but haven't thought more about it since I bought a passive headset, which works great.

Active noise cancelling works by producing exactly opposite wavelengths of the same amplitude as the incoming ones. In other words, the speakers are basically making sound that just as loud as the one you're hearing, just slightly offset. It does not in any way actually stop sound (which is why most pilot-quality headsets also have extremely good noise dampening).

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Barnsy posted:

Active noise cancelling works by producing exactly opposite wavelengths of the same amplitude as the incoming ones. In other words, the speakers are basically making sound that just as loud as the one you're hearing, just slightly offset. It does not in any way actually stop sound (which is why most pilot-quality headsets also have extremely good noise dampening).

But in theory if the sounds were exact opposites they would nullify eachother, right? So the issue here is that it's impossible to perfectly match the timing of the waves, or...?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

But in theory if the sounds were exact opposites they would nullify eachother, right? So the issue here is that it's impossible to perfectly match the timing of the waves, or...?

If you think about it, the waves are roughly spherical - so may be the headphones' waves cancel the initial sound wave in a small subsection of this sphere where the the waves align properly. But they are not going to align everywhere or even fully cover your ear. That's just my educated guess though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The opposite phase waves are not perfectly matched so can create beat frequencies up beyond the range you can hear them, but can still cause damage. It's not a problem where ambient noise is below the damage threshold, or where they offer good enough passive noise isolation, but you'll notice the higher warnings on consumer ANR not to use them as hearing protection.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
So I'm a pretty novice rider but I've got a bit of leave coming up at the end of August, I was thinking of doing a bit of touring on the TTR 250 coming up. I've got a rough plan sketched out around its fuel range and for any NZ goons around here basically I'm planning to head out from Hamilton and do a Coromandel loop that incorporates riding on all the gravel at the tip of the peninsula. Aiming to ride about 250ish km's a day and overall make it a 4ish day trip - I'm still working on details. I have a couple of questions:

1) - Is that me biting off too much too fast? I've essentially been dailying my bike for a bout a month and a bit and am going to a funded motorcycle safety training day next weekend and have gone on like 2 ~100km rides on my weekends. It's going to be way more than I have ever tried.
2) - I know I'll end up a bit smelly, I think i can just about pack enough spare socks and underwear in a day pack to ride with and maybe 1 set of non riding clothes, but I'm I don't own proper luggage - should I buy a tailbag to cram spare clothes in or should I just man up?
3) - They aren't exactly arterial highways where everyone tries to drive at 120kph, but the national limit is 100 and and realisitically my bike's top speed is 100kph on the flat not riding into a headwind, I've been as low as 65kph in bad conditions WoT. Is this a terrible idea and will that make me the annoying guy that will piss off all the motorists or will it be alright if I just pull over if I accumulate some traffic behind me?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trambopaline posted:

So I'm a pretty novice rider but I've got a bit of leave coming up at the end of August, I was thinking of doing a bit of touring on the TTR 250 coming up. I've got a rough plan sketched out around its fuel range and for any NZ goons around here basically I'm planning to head out from Hamilton and do a Coromandel loop that incorporates riding on all the gravel at the tip of the peninsula. Aiming to ride about 250ish km's a day and overall make it a 4ish day trip - I'm still working on details. I have a couple of questions:

1) - Is that me biting off too much too fast? I've essentially been dailying my bike for a bout a month and a bit and am going to a funded motorcycle safety training day next weekend and have gone on like 2 ~100km rides on my weekends. It's going to be way more than I have ever tried.
2) - I know I'll end up a bit smelly, I think i can just about pack enough spare socks and underwear in a day pack to ride with and maybe 1 set of non riding clothes, but I'm I don't own proper luggage - should I buy a tailbag to cram spare clothes in or should I just man up?
3) - They aren't exactly arterial highways where everyone tries to drive at 120kph, but the national limit is 100 and and realisitically my bike's top speed is 100kph on the flat not riding into a headwind, I've been as low as 65kph in bad conditions WoT. Is this a terrible idea and will that make me the annoying guy that will piss off all the motorists or will it be alright if I just pull over if I accumulate some traffic behind me?

It's been a while since I've been to the coromandel but you should triple check there's enough petrol stations to avoid stranding you (or just bring a jerry can). You won't annoy anyone, there are loads and loads of people who drive super slowly in the country for no reason at all and with a bike there is almost always somewhere to pull over. I've done trips like that with just a backpack but a tailbag wouldn't hurt. I'd worry more about wadding it on a gravel road in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with no cellphone reception, which is super spotty down thataway. Might be a good idea to change your oil, check your spark plug and air filter etc just to squeeze every last fraction of power and reliability out of the old dog.

Also if the weather continues as it's been you're in for a terrifying time on some of those roads.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 31, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trambopaline posted:

1) Nah, 250km is a day is pretty easy, even for a beginner. At 65kph it's only four hours of riding. Your butt might get sore if you haven't sat in the seat for that long before. Since you're still new and ride a slowish bike, I would stay off larger roads if possible so you don't add tiredness to an already stressful situation. Smaller roads are way better to tour on anyway.
2) A tailbag is always a handy thing to have, but you can certainly do this trip with just a backpack. Where are you staying at night? You're not carrying any camping equipment, right?
3) Like I said, just stay off the largest roads and ride on two-lanes where people are going <80. It'll be a nicer, less stressful ride. I'll pull over* for a minute to let people pass if I accumulate more than three or four people behind me.

*I mean when I'm driving my car. I never accumulate people behind me on the bike :madmax:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're doing a lot of riding on higher speeds make sure you check the oil regularly.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I don't know about the rest of you, but riding with a backpack for a couple of hours a day is really doing a number on my shoulders. It's only 10-15lb. I would definitely recommend a bag attached to the bike body to avoid unnecessary fatigue.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What are some good handlebar mirrors? Putting bars on the SV, so figure I can upgrade from the barends. Everything I find is kurakyn knife blade/skellyman hand poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Napoleons I think are the best actual mirrors with bars

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pokie posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but riding with a backpack for a couple of hours a day is really doing a number on my shoulders. It's only 10-15lb. I would definitely recommend a bag attached to the bike body to avoid unnecessary fatigue.
Are you strapping your backpack in properly? A backpack shouldn't rest the majority of its weight on your shoulders, it should rest on your back/hips. It should be snug against your back, and the waist strap should be as snug as is comfortable.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Trambopaline posted:

Definitely avoid the main roads (don't just take google maps most direct route, I'm sure you know this anyway), this is good advice for any size of bike because highway riding sucks poo poo but it especially sucks on smaller bikes with lovely wind protection!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Napoleons I think are the best actual mirrors with bars

Hoping to go with something that's not a bar end, midbar ones are way better placement for me personally.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Collateral Damage posted:

Are you strapping your backpack in properly? A backpack shouldn't rest the majority of its weight on your shoulders, it should rest on your back/hips. It should be snug against your back, and the waist strap should be as snug as is comfortable.

What is waist strap :V

I don't have a dedicated motorcycle backpack. It has an upper chest strap, but nothing below that. Thanks for letting me know it's inappropriate.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Get yourself a Kriega. Only time I feel the 10-15kg that practically lives in it is if I am lazy and don't tighten it up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

M42 posted:

Hoping to go with something that's not a bar end, midbar ones are way better placement for me personally.

I thought I was suggesting Napoleon mid bar mirrors because I swear I had a set on my bandit, but the Google seems to suggest Napoleon only makes bar end mirrors, now I don't know what I had :iiam:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Shimrod posted:

Get yourself a Kriega. Only time I feel the 10-15kg that practically lives in it is if I am lazy and don't tighten it up.

I am just going to get a nice top case instead for now. Thanks for the recommendation - I will keep it in mind.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

M42 posted:

There's a guy on eBay called hoosiersgarage that sells what I think are quality and tasteful mirrors for cheap.

These look great on my 919 and I think they would be even better on a SV.

http://www.hoosiergarage.com/motorcycle-mirrors-black-honda-kawasaki-suzuki-victory-stealth-wide-view

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 1, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

pokie posted:

Also riding with a backpack makes you look like a juvenile delinquent

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

astrollinthepork posted:

There's a guy on eBay called hoosiersgarage that sells what I think are quality and tasteful mirrors for cheap.

These look great on my 919 and I think they would be even better on a SV.

http://www.hoosiergarage.com/motorcycle-mirrors-black-honda-kawasaki-suzuki-victory-stealth-wide-view

Those look basically the same as 2nd gen Tuono mirrors.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

BlackMK4 posted:

Those look basically the same as 2nd gen Tuono mirrors.

Yeah I found this guy years ago when looking to change over from the Mickey Mouse ears and didn't want to deal with an Aprilia dealer. They're good mirrors.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Shiver/Tuono mirrors are pretty cheap for OEM and work really well, they're a pretty common mod/upgrade for people not cool enough to have bought Aprilia to start with.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So I might be moving from the UK out to Philadelphia for a job offer sometime around the end of this year.

Problem is I haven't gotten my full British motorbike licence yet. If I manage to get one before I head over would I be able to drive? Could i get a US licence? I'd be over there to work and live for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Keket posted:

So I might be moving from the UK out to Philadelphia for a job offer sometime around the end of this year.

Problem is I haven't gotten my full British motorbike licence yet. If I manage to get one before I head over would I be able to drive? Could i get a US licence? I'd be over there to work and live for a while.

Philly? :chloe: