Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Thanks, I think, for exposing me to these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, CU loving hates Hillary and the feeling is mutual. She may stop short of having the biggest shitlords within the org Vince Fostered, but even then I'm not willing to bet money on it

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It needs to be reiterated: most politicians hate CU too, because it means they're locked in an arms race to raise as much money as they possibly can.

Most of them would rather actually do their jobs, but they have to spend enormous chunks of a given week making calls to donors because if they don't, and their opponents do, they'll get steamrolled in the next election

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Keeshhound posted:

It needs to be reiterated: most politicians hate CU too, because it means they're locked in an arms race to raise as much money as they possibly can.

Most of them would rather actually do their jobs, but they have to spend enormous chunks of a given week making calls to donors because if they don't, and their opponents do, they'll get steamrolled in the next election

Doesn't it also make it an awful lot easier to get primaried?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Night10194 posted:

That seems to be more of a problem on the Right, where there's a lot more corporate money around from a lot of people willing to spend money on ideological purity they believe will pay dividends down the line when they get free money from the government for it.

See: the Tea Party.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

They found more carcinogens in vape juice - both pre and post-vape.

Do you have a link for this?

Ok, be truthful-- who else woke up with 'Fight Song' stuck in their heads?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Megyn Kelly is a terrible person that SOMETIMES has decent opinions when she herself has a vested interest. I hope she stays on Fox forever and her garbage is contained instead of letting her out to become a Serious Person that dogwhistles racism and shits on the poor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nocturtle posted:

It's going to be interesting to see if CU can be overturned, and how it would happen. I really don't think the Democrats can get a constitutional amendment passed in the foreseeable future, as it's not clear when they'll even be able to retake congress (possible Democrat wave in Nov notwithstanding).

edit: Citizen's United is fascinating because no-one actually likes it. Something ridiculous like 80% of Americans want it overturned, which is getting close to the theoretical maximum level of consensus in US politics (on the assumption that ~10-20% of the population is actually crazy).

CU is fine. It's unlikely to be overturned. Like TPP, the case has gotten so politicized that those arguing it tend not to understand what it represents.

Campaign electioneering spending is in fact a form of speech, and it becomes problematic at best to structure campaign law to create limits on that speech-it does, in fact, entail censorship of political discourse. The problems of spending by PACs and associated entities aren't because there's a lot of it, but because it is opaque and thus unaccountable. The desired effects are better achieved by severe funding disclosure requirements, which are entirely and explicitly legal under the decision.

This is not a Republican position I'm arguing, here- it's the position I was taught by this guy, who represented the Democratic party in the House for an extended period, and is one of the foremost national experts in election law. People closer to these cases or areas of practice understand the distinctions that make CU valid, but also know that saying it's an OK decision isn't going to go over well.

Keeshhound posted:

That's not CU, that's politics. CU did not change that calculus. The closest relevant caselaw is the line involving Arizona Free Enterprise Club's Freedom Club PAC v. Bennett, which shut down public campaign financing, following the Davis v FEC case, which shut down a narrow area involving the candidate's personal funds. The return of public funding systems, and overturning the cases that shut down public funding equivalency (starting with Davis), would be more appealing, but still difficult to argue or achieve until we have a Dem court.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 29, 2016

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope to God that line is used in commercials and Hilary quotes him by name at Trump during a debate.

I don't think you can stuff enough context into a commercial to make a brown man yelling with a heavy accent not-scary to certain people

Dexo posted:

Even better

https://www.youtube.com/user/DemConvention/videos

These have like every goddamn video.(In Spanish too)

Oh god drat it I filtered that to just live streams and forgot I did it :cripes:

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 29, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

They found more carcinogens in vape juice - both pre and post-vape.

citybeatnik posted:

God loving drat it.

Apparently those big "vape rigs" capable of higher temperatures are turning the chemicals into formaldehyde. They claim the small disposable ones don't as much, but that seems unlikely, considering the article I read quoted a guy who works for one of the disposable e-cigs companies.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Discendo Vox posted:

That's not CU, that's politics. CU did not change that calculus. The closest relevant caselaw is the line involving Arizona Free Enterprise Club's Freedom Club PAC v. Bennett, which shut down public campaign financing, following the Davis v FEC case, which shut down a narrow area involving the candidate's personal funds. The return of public funding systems, and overturning the cases that shut down public funding equivalency (starting with Davis), would be more appealing, but still difficult to argue or achieve until we have a Dem court.

Yeah, I had the ideas mixed up. What I meant is that most politicians are in favor of some kind of campaign finance limits for that reason.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Gonna laugh when vaping turns out to be as bad as tobacco and those companies get to face the same lawsuits big tobacco did.

Night10194 posted:

Yes, because if you don't do the bidding of some local baron they can and likely will spend a couple million (or less) on a primary challenger who will do their bidding.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheBigAristotle posted:

Apparently those big "vape rigs" capable of higher temperatures are turning the chemicals into formaldehyde. They claim the small disposable ones don't as much, but that seems unlikely, considering the article I read quoted a guy who works for one of the disposable e-cigs companies.

Yeah, they'd said it was a function of temperature, and basically it seems like the hardcore modder vapist types (you know the type) are just wrecking their own poo poo because they'll crank the power up on a single-coil device to make more vapor rather than put the money into one with dual coils, which doesn't need such high temps.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/22/7872505/vaping-high-voltage-releases-carcinogens-e-cig

quote:

The researchers didn't detect formaldehyde-releasing agents at low voltage levels (3.3V). When vapor was produced at high levels (5.0V), however, they found that the e-cigs actually produce higher levels of formaldehyde-releasing agents than the level of gaseous formaldehyde released by traditional cigarettes. Assuming that these agents carry the same risks as the gaseous formaldehyde produced by regular cigarettes, the lifetime risk of cancer of vaping might be between five and 15 times as high as the risk associated with long-term cigarette use, the researchers conclude.

This comes off as some mean-universe comeuppance for certain types of vapists.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 29, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gonna laugh when vaping turns out to be as bad as tobacco and those companies get to face the same lawsuits big tobacco did.

It's definitely as bad as tobacco, from a structural standpoint- it's still an inhalant laced with an addictive substance, only without any regulation and an intentionally included sideline into other drugs. The part that makes it worse is that the people behind it are much more legally sophisticated- they're big tobacco types working with VCs, who have collectively learned the lessons of the lawsuits against big tobacco that happened in the 90s. Vaporizers were designed from the ground up to be as difficult to regulate as possible.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 29, 2016

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just watched Reverend Barber's speech. gently caress, man. As a leftist Christian stuck in loving Texas, it feels goddamn amazing to see Christianity being politicized as a force for social good for a change, right there on the national stage. The black church knows what's up.

As an atheist, it still feels goddamn amazing to see all the best of Christianity on display. I would totally go to that church because drat.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, they'd said it was a function of temperature, and basically it seems like the hardcore modder vapist types (you know the type) are just wrecking their own poo poo because they'll crank the power up on a single-coil device to make more vapor rather than put the money into one with dual coils, which doesn't need such high temps.

Ok, I think I found the article? http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/22/7872505/vaping-high-voltage-releases-carcinogens-e-cig
I sit at very low voltage and have no interest in those big mod things. I think its weird to want more vapor when I'm just going for my nicotine fix. I think I saw a picture of two people blowing huge vapor at each other on a stage and my reaction was "What the gently caress?" But then, I'm old, so maybe I don't get it. :)

^^^^^ argh you edited your post with the link!

I guess I'm the only one with Fight Song stuck in their head this morning.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

It's definitely as bad as tobacco, from a structural standpoint- it's still an inhalant laced with an addictive substance, only without any regulation and an intentionally included sideline into other drugs. The part that makes it worse is that the people behind it are much more legally sophisticated- they're big tobacco types working with VCs, who have collectively learned the lessons of the lawsuits against big tobacco that happened in the 90s.

I edited my post while you were making this one, but basically it's not only "as bad," in the experiment the scientists found the high-voltage vape penis putting out more formaldehyde than cigarettes to the tune of a 5-15x elevated cancer risk over long-term use. However, that's assuming the vape formaldehyde is not more dangerous than the kind that comes off tobacco.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OniPanda posted:

As an atheist, it still feels goddamn amazing to see all the best of Christianity on display. I would totally go to that church because drat.

His reference to those without faith was nice. Hopefully a good number of religious people will realize that Trump is Too Corinthians

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Svanja posted:

Ok, be truthful-- who else woke up with 'Fight Song' stuck in their heads?

It's been stuck there for like three days now. Haha. I guess it works despite making me physically cringe with the video

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

I edited my post while you were making this one, but basically it's not only "as bad," in the experiment the scientists found the high-voltage vape penis putting out more formaldehyde than cigarettes to the tune of a 5-15x elevated cancer risk over long-term use. However, that's assuming the vape formaldehyde is not more dangerous than the kind that comes off tobacco.

...is there a source for this? :stare:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

...is there a source for this? :stare:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/22/7872505/vaping-high-voltage-releases-carcinogens-e-cig

and if you are leery of the verge, here's the NEJM paper: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1413069

I love the baghdad bob act from the industry guy:

quote:

The vaping industry has dismissed the findings. Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, told The Verge that the way in which the researchers tested the e-cigarettes was improper. "This machine study used conditions that in no way replicated how actual human beings use vapor products," he says. "Anyone using the vapor product at the high setting would tap out — would stop using the product after two or three puffs — because it is that unpleasant of an experience." Conley also points out that when the e-cigarettes were used properly, "no formaldehyde was detected."

Buncha fuckin' animals posting at the below link:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/3-7v-vs-5v-vaping.276590/

quote:

I am sitting on my couch with a Ego and LR Atty. I have spent most of the day gaping a variable voltage with a 3 ohm carto between 5 and 6 volts.

I started this before picking up my phone and seeing this thread. Oddly with exactly the same question was going through my head. I was also questioning myself about buying a Provari or 2 next week.

I have been experimenting between the variable flavour and Ego. Going to have to take the ohm rating of this Atty as juice that was fine at 6 volts is tasting burnt at 3.2.

Not answering your question. OK initial difference is that at higher voltages you may want to reduce your nic as I definitely get that nic overdose feeling. Maybe because you are burning juice at a far faster rate.

Flavours change subtlety as you move through the voltages. Sometimes pleasantly and with some juices not so. At higher voltages juices tend to become more intense. This is possibly a result of atomizing more juice than you would at a lower voltage.

The suggestion of fully exploring your current set up has merit. That is dependant on your curiosity and budget.

My Provari thoughts are more about convenience as I have an Altoids box and while it is fantastic it is a little unwieldy.

Not sure if that helps.

quote:

Although others sometimes describe it as a hotter vape, I would describe it as a stronger vape. I've been mostly vaping at 5V for the past few months and when I vape at 3.7V now it seems weak. In terms of analogs (because we can all understand that, can't we?) I would compare it to smoking a Kool vs. smoking a Carlton....

Like I don't even know what half that poo poo means because I've never been interested in vape culture or being a vapist, but this guy seems to commit all of his vapes with high voltage.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Dirt posted:

It's been stuck there for like three days now. Haha. I guess it works despite making me physically cringe with the video

I admit that I am buying it right now. I agree, the video is cringe-worthy- but strangely entertaining, too. :)

Woke up to my Facebook feed filled with Bill playing with balloons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Svanja posted:

Ok, I think I found the article? http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/22/7872505/vaping-high-voltage-releases-carcinogens-e-cig
I sit at very low voltage and have no interest in those big mod things. I think its weird to want more vapor when I'm just going for my nicotine fix. I think I saw a picture of two people blowing huge vapor at each other on a stage and my reaction was "What the gently caress?" But then, I'm old, so maybe I don't get it. :)

It's possibly a side effect of the addiction- it's not uncommon to fixate on unimportant side elements of consuming the substance, because a part of the mind of the addicted individual correlates the side elements with greater exposure to the substance. Even if they know that more vapor doesn't mean more nicotine, they still believe on some level that it gives them a bigger hit. This is one element that crosses over from people with similar mental conditions that aren't directly substance-driven, like eating disorders.

Alternately, it could just mean they like rolling coal.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TheBigAristotle posted:

They claim the small disposable ones don't as much, but that seems unlikely, considering the article I read quoted a guy who works for one of the disposable e-cigs companies.

Ah, so I'm not quite as loving boned as I was afraid. Still boned, mind.

Svanja posted:

^^^^^ argh you edited your post with the link!

Yeah that's my take as well. I guess I could switch to gum or the patch or something but it's also the ritual involved. Maybe I could just take up breathing meditation techniques or something before my lungs turn to rock.

I just don't -get- this whole vape culture thing other than it being an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Of course there's an American Vaping Association. :doh:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can't believe no one posted this yet

https://twitter.com/ingridostby/status/758869304037158912

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I love the baghdad bob act from the industry guy:

He's not wrong though. That's not typically how they're used.

Most people who vape are loving insufferable, but the methods they're using to conduct these tests are very strange and not indicative of real world usage.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A bunch of times actually

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A bunch of times actually

Oh, I guess I hadn't seen it itt, still a great picture

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's possibly a side effect of the addiction- it's not uncommon to fixate on unimportant side elements of consuming the substance, because a part of the mind of the addicted individual correlates the side elements with greater exposure to the substance. Even if they know that more vapor doesn't mean more nicotine, they still believe on some level that it gives them a bigger hit. This is one element that crosses over from people with similar mental conditions that aren't directly substance-driven, like eating disorders.

Turning the voltage up doesn't increase the amount of juice vaporized per unit volume of air drawn through it? Serious question as I do not suck robot dick because I'm not a nicotine addict and don't want to be one.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

Of course there's an American Vaping Association. :doh:

As Jeff Gerstmann has taught me, the rabbit-hole on vaping goes real deep.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

As Jeff Gerstmann has taught me, the rabbit-hole on vaping goes real deep.

The story about the guy that almost got fired from a vape-shop since he accidentally insulted a sponsored champion vape ring blower who complained to his boss was all I needed to know.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

Turning the voltage up doesn't increase the amount of juice vaporized per unit volume of air drawn through it? Serious question as I do not suck robot dick because I'm not a nicotine addict and don't want to be one.

It does, but there's a cut off point where the wick can't keep up with the amount of power being put to the coil so you start burning it and creating formaldehyde. They're literally burning through the tanks and taking measurements as if that's how people actually use them.

edit: it's embarrassing that I even come off as defending vaping or whatever, but I just want to point out that the methodology they're using is extremely flawed and I take issue with the science and not the subject matter.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 29, 2016

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Svanja posted:

Nope, literally woke up this morning with it in my head. Which also put a smile on my face when I thought of how Hildawg owned the night last night.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Epic High Five posted:

Vince Fostered

What

rscott posted:

Didn't realize Kareem gave a speech to the DNC, he was probably the leftest wing person to get a spot, and that includes Sanders

Ahem, I think you meant Michael Jordan

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

http://mashable.com/2016/07/29/tim-kaine-dnc-balloons/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#Mz_a0tjXGEqg

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

Like gently caress these people. The only reason I'm glad their advocation is coming out cancer is so we can get this behavior out of public spaces. My grandfather died of lung cancer and I wouldn't wish that on anyone at all. I just hate being out for an evening walking through people's clouds and them just looking at you like they want a fight about your annoyance.

Anyway. It's great that trump is such a galvanizing enemy. I can't imagine these speeches being half as animated if he wasn't so loving terrible.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Vince Fostering someone means Hillary killing them with her bare hands.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Nope, literally woke up this morning with it in my head. Which also put a smile on my face when I thought of how Hildawg owned the night last night.

:hfive:
I was smiling, too, after the initial "oh my gaaawd" reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is it wrong that I want vaping to turn out to harmful just to stick ut to know-it-all vapers?

• Locked thread