Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

The IMAX shots are also obviously a lot less impressive when you aren't seeing them on a big screen.

Having just watched the movies on blu ray for the first time, I'm gonna go so far as to say that the way the movie constantly shifts aspect ratios to accommodate the IMAX stuff is a wildly distracting bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

achillesforever6 posted:

Is that Sandman movie dead now btw? I hope so, it would not translate well to film at all; put it on HBO to compete with American Gods on Starz

OTOH, Sandman Mystery Theatre would make a great movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

OTOH, Sandman Mystery Theatre would make a great movie.

Man, if only. Even in this big ol' comic book boom, I think that's one movie we will never see.

I want more pulp. Hell, they should do another Shadow movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Having just watched the movies on blu ray for the first time, I'm gonna go so far as to say that the way the movie constantly shifts aspect ratios to accommodate the IMAX stuff is a wildly distracting bad idea

This I do agree with. It really gets distracting in Interstellar, it makes the movie feel less cohesive.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

My experience has been that most people don't even notice the aspect-ratio switching. Not that that helps you, Boogey (as if anything could). Personally, I'm happy with it, if that's what it takes to get those great tall IMAX shots.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean, it'd be one thing if it just switched to large format for the big action scenes and then switched back, that'd be cool. But Nolan uses so much cross cutting, particularly towards the end of DKR, that it just becomes nonsensical. The back half of that movie is chock full of moments where we'll just be cutting back and forth between two different sets of two characters talking, but they're in different aspect ratios for some reason.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sir Kodiak posted:

My experience has been that most people don't even notice the aspect-ratio switching. Not that that helps you, Boogey (as if anything could). Personally, I'm happy with it, if that's what it takes to get those great tall IMAX shots.

It's me, I'm the one that never does. Is there any particular scene in any movie that I should watch for an example? Maybe if I see it once, I'll start noticing it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slugworth posted:

It's me, I'm the one that never does. Is there any particular scene in any movie that I should watch for an example? Maybe if I see it once, I'll start noticing it.

Bear in mind that if you're watching it on DVD, I think they fixed it so the ratio doesn't shift. IIRC it's only the blu ray that does.

That being said, one scene that comes to mind is when Gordon and JGL are watching Bane give his big speech about Harvey Dent on TV. The Bane stuff is in large format, the Gordon and JGL stuff is in 2:35:1.

Granted I'm an aspect ratio dork, but it's hard to miss for me. One moment the image fills up my entire TV, the next moment it only fills up 2/3s of it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's definitely more noticeable at home because the top and bottom of the frame are less likely to be in your peripheral vision.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You haven't really experienced aspect-ratio switching until you've seen Transformers 4: Age of Extinction. No idea if it applies to the home releases, but it was bonkers in the theater. I'm talking multiple switches per minute here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, it'd be one thing if it just switched to large format for the big action scenes and then switched back, that'd be cool. But Nolan uses so much cross cutting, particularly towards the end of DKR, that it just becomes nonsensical. The back half of that movie is chock full of moments where we'll just be cutting back and forth between two different sets of two characters talking, but they're in different aspect ratios for some reason.

Puzzling decision.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

gynecomastia

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

io9 posted:

The Television Critics Association summer press tour is ongoing at the moment, and Marvel is there to promote the incoming Netflix Luke Cage series. Naturally, the topic of whether or not characters like Luke, Jessica Jones, or Matt Murdock could ever show up in the movies. The answer given to /Film by Marvel TV president Jeph Loeb is a similar refrain at this point: The logistics make it practically impossible:

"I can tell you that part of the challenge of doing this sort of thing is that the movies are planned out years in advance of what it is that we are doing. Television moves at an incredible speed. The other part of the problem is that when you stop and think about it, if I’m shooting a television series and that’s going to go on over a six-month or eight-month period, how am I going to get Mike [Colter] to be able to go be in a movie? I need Mike to be in a television show."

Loeb continued with a glimmer of hope by saying anything is possible in terms of crossovers, but it’s what he said next that’s rather interesting:

"As I often get reported by you folks for saying #ItsAllConnected, our feeling is that the connection isn’t just whether or not somebody is walking into a movie or walking out of a television show. It’s connected in the way that the shows come from the same place, that they are real, that they are grounded."

...they’re connected stylistically and universe-wise, not character-wise.

Source: http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-has-a-new-different-explanation-for-how-its-tv-1784526484

What a cop out. Why bother having the universes be connected if there aren't any meaningful connections in the first place? The film division seems to want nothing to do with the Netflix and ABC series. Agents of Shield is about as mediocre as a show could get, but what about the Netflix series? Those have been legitimately good (so far).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The secret is that the whole shebang is only connected by branding.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

TetsuoTW posted:

The secret is that the whole shebang is only connected by branding.

Precisely. There's going to be a 10 second shot of Daredevil & The Gang in Infinity War. That will be the big shared universe moment. Revel in it.

(also your Superman joke was really funny)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the netflix series being good so far is a point in favor of keeping them isolated from all the greater universe nonsense imo, i don't really want cool street-level heroics diluted by having them fight thanos' putty patrol

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

TDK may not be all that great

I'd say it is pretty great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

the netflix series being good so far is a point in favor of keeping them isolated from all the greater universe nonsense imo, i don't really want cool street-level heroics diluted by having them fight thanos' putty patrol

Definitely takes a deft hand to balance that stuff.

Ann Nocenti and John Romita Jr. did it well in their Daredevil run, like in the issue where Daredevil's just getting drunk in full costume at a bar because his latest relationship went down the tubes and then The Actual Devil comes in from the event comic going on outside and starts loving poo poo up but Daredevil barely even feels like fighting him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Source: http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-has-a-new-different-explanation-for-how-its-tv-1784526484

What a cop out. Why bother having the universes be connected if there aren't any meaningful connections in the first place? The film division seems to want nothing to do with the Netflix and ABC series. Agents of Shield is about as mediocre as a show could get, but what about the Netflix series? Those have been legitimately good (so far).

It's already obvious they're trying to keep them as isolated as possible when the biggest mentions in the Netflix shows are things like "the big green guy and his friends" or "the boyscout". Like Tony Stark is basically if like Steve Jobs behaved like a Kardashian and then became a superhero. People would be talking about that poo poo constantly, it would be trending harder than Trump.

If they wanted them to connect in a meaningful way they could at least have short cameos or at least talk about things happening in both mediums, it's not prohibitively difficult. Like have Stark in the background on a TV giving an interview to Katie Couric or whatever, or have a 15 second cameo of Daredevil in CW reacting to the accords. They don't care and they won't put any effort into connecting them, they just want to boost the ratings of the TV stuff by claiming they are in the same universe.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Continuity is an illusion. Let your false god die already.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

It's already obvious they're trying to keep them as isolated as possible when the biggest mentions in the Netflix shows are things like "the big green guy and his friends" or "the boyscout". Like Tony Stark is basically if like Steve Jobs behaved like a Kardashian and then became a superhero. People would be talking about that poo poo constantly, it would be trending harder than Trump.

If they wanted them to connect in a meaningful way they could at least have short cameos or at least talk about things happening in both mediums, it's not prohibitively difficult. Like have Stark in the background on a TV giving an interview to Katie Couric or whatever, or have a 15 second cameo of Daredevil in CW reacting to the accords. They don't care and they won't put any effort into connecting them, they just want to boost the ratings of the TV stuff by claiming they are in the same universe.

Absolutely. At this point though, it seems to be doing more harm than good. Instead of giving the TV division freedom to tell stories, instead they're tied to the film division's plans.

Meanwhile, the DC TV shows seem to have a lot more freedom since they are not tied to the movie universes, but then again, you have the bullshit going on with Arrow

Equilibrium posted:

Continuity is an illusion. Let your false god die already.

You act like this is like some kind of revelation. "False god" implies undue importance, which simply isn't true. I'm not going to lose sleep over this, that's for sure. I just find it funny that Marvel's saying that "It's all connected" was never true in the first place.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 29, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh neat it's just like actual marvel comics now where every author sort of gets told setting change by fiat but can't use all the characters in their book and is prevented from having theirs meaningfully impact events or other stories until eventually everything feels disjointed and certain book lines just ignore that major events ever happened.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
It's really funny to watch Comic Book Movies Marvel Studios repeat the worst excesses of 90s and 00s comics and have nerds eat that poo poo up to the point that it's become its own narrative. We should be getting hologram and embossed variant blu-ray covers any day now. You won't believe which Avenger dies next in Iron Man 6: The Avengers!!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

You act like this is like some kind of revelation. "False god" implies undue importance, which simply isn't true. I'm not going to lose sleep over this, that's for sure. I just find it funny that Marvel's saying that "It's all connected" was never true in the first place.

This is your revelation. They were never connected, they will never be connected, because that would be stupid. There is no MCU.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Equilibrium posted:

This is your revelation. They were never connected, they will never be connected, because that would be stupid. There is no MCU.

Yeah, that's true. I was foolish to believe that there'd might be some kind of a meaningful connection at some point, but I doubt that'll happen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Let's break that down a little. What would be "meaningful"? Like, one character showing up in another character's movie, and then referencing that movie in their own movie? Or what?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
One plot thread that starts in a movie/show and continues in another movie/show might be a good start.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Let's break that down a little. What would be "meaningful"? Like, one character showing up in another character's movie,

Yes, probably this.
People like the characters, they like seeing them again.

Right or wrong, this is usually what people mean.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Moriatti posted:

Right or wrong, this is usually what people mean.

I'm not passing any value judgement on it, I'm just trying to figure out what folks would consider meaningful franchise interaction.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Let's break that down a little. What would be "meaningful"? Like, one character showing up in another character's movie, and then referencing that movie in their own movie? Or what?

Here's two examples:

In the awful Avengers: Age of Ultron, Nick Fury doesn't bother to mention who or where he got the helicarrier from. I don't even think the Avengers know Coulson is still alive, which was one of the primary reasons that united them in the first place. If they found out that Fury was lying to them, wouldn't that make a bigger impact than simply sweeping it under the rug?

In the third season of Agents of Shield, Terrigen was released into the ecosystem that supposedly "spread across the world", yet there's no mention of this or an Inhuman outbreak in the one movie that supposedly takes place around the same time frame - i.e. Captain America: Civil War. It cheapens and minimizes the impact of the overarching story.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 29, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Man, if only. Even in this big ol' comic book boom, I think that's one movie we will never see.

I want more pulp. Hell, they should do another Shadow movie.

My own pitch would be about a successor, going for a Dario Argento/Wes Craven style with all the creepy dream stuff. Lower budget due to being a riskier idea, but that almost makes it better. Maybe steal the Corinthian and the Serial Killer Convention for the villains of the piece. Get Goblin for the soundtrack, they'd probably be down for it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'd be amazed if over 40% of the people who watched age of ultron or civil war even knew what agents of shield was

edit: and that's just thinking about americans, lord only knows how few people in china or japan would know what the gently caress a terrigen mist is if agents of shield didn't air in their country

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 29, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In this film, a star's contract hero dies!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Have we ever gotten Cain's opinion on the Crime Bible?

Considering it was carved on the stone he used to kill Abel with he's probably cool with it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

My own pitch would be about a successor, going for a Dario Argento/Wes Craven style with all the creepy dream stuff. Lower budget due to being a riskier idea, but that almost makes it better. Maybe steal the Corinthian and the Serial Killer Convention for the villains of the piece. Get Goblin for the soundtrack, they'd probably be down for it.

As long as we're talking Matt Wagner and Pulp, I'd kill for a good Grendel movie. I feel like the proper time for film adaptations of stuff like that and Sandman Mystery Theater would've been the '90s though.

edit: also I want Concrete: The Animated Series

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Concrete would have been a really good movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

As long as we're talking Matt Wagner and Pulp, I'd kill for a good Grendel movie. I feel like the proper time for film adaptations of stuff like that and Sandman Mystery Theater would've been the '90s though.

edit: also I want Concrete: The Animated Series

Yeah, but the 90s are gone. Despite what comics writers seem to think.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the fact that we got a really well-done animated series of The Maxx is one of the weirdest and best relics of the '90s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

I completely disagree with the "straight to DVD" assessment but one thing I will say is that you do lose a lot of impact in the transition from theater to home media. One scene I remember specifically being really well executed in the theater was the "disappearing pencil" gag; with the loud surround sound that lands really well, it loses a lot of punch watching it on a small screen without the big SLAM to sell it. The IMAX shots are also obviously a lot less impressive when you aren't seeing them on a big screen.
Interstellar had this too with the decompression scene. I literally jumped out of my seat when it happened.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's actually pretty cool if you have a home projector with a 12 foot wide screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

roffels posted:

It's actually pretty cool if you have a home projector with a 12 foot wide screen.

I'm sure it is, Mr. Wayne

• Locked thread