Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall hearing that at one point he was going around telling people that the reason Michael O'Hare left was because he got fired for alcoholism.

I attended a B5 convention (it was tiny) in the late 90's and he went on a massive anti-woman rant during a panel so there's also that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

I attended a B5 convention (it was tiny) in the late 90's and he went on a massive anti-woman rant during a panel so there's also that.

:sigh: Maybe we can just talk about Andreas Katsulas instead. I mean look at him... just look at him!

:swoon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just love the fact that Guinan apparently has a direct comms line to the bridge, and she can call them up whenever she feels like chatting.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Fister Roboto posted:

I just love the fact that Guinan apparently has a direct comms line to the bridge, and she can call them up whenever she feels like chatting.

Supposedly according to "The Neutral Zone" anyone can call anyone anywhere on the ship at any time but we're all expected to behave like adults and not abuse the privilege.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rhyno posted:

Jerry Doyle was a goddamned rear end in a top hat but Garibaldi was such a great character.

I saw him at a convention once and he was probably the funniest and most personable of the celebs/panelists there. While it may be easy to forget in the age of defriending, unlikes, and ignore buttons, lovely political views don't necessarily make someone an rear end in a top hat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Jerry Doyle being a right-winger made me like the Garibaldi character more. He is a cop, after all...

Angry Salami posted:

Babylon 5's cast seems to be dying off faster than TOS's. At this point, I wouldn't be suprised if Walter Koenig ended up the last one standing...
The Babylon 5 cast was a collection of rough customers. A lot of actors facing the end of their careers and needing a second chance that JMS was willing to give. Problems with alcoholism & drugs among some cast members. The most accomplished and best regular performer on the show, Mira Furlan, was a literal refugee from the crackup of Yugoslavia. (Not to equate being a refugee with the other stuff, just to emphasize the desperation a lot of the cast had when they took their roles.)

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 29, 2016

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Tsaedje posted:

There's no active thread for Babylon 5, but I guess this thread should have a lot of overlap. Garibaldi actor and lovely political view haver Jerry Doyle has died. There's not going to be any of them left in 10 years at this rate :smith:

WTF is it with the B5 cast dying off so fast?! I didn't like Jerry Doyle's politics, and he wasn't the most polished actor, but Garibaldi was a great character. And Jerry nailed it in the last couple of seasons, when Garibaldi was "altered" by the PsiCorps and turned against Sheridan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMWTgdJSL5A

RIP:
Andreas Katsulas
Michael O' Hare
Richard Biggs
Tim Choate
Jerry Doyle
Jeff Conaway

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Number_6 posted:

WTF is it with the B5 cast dying off so fast?! I didn't like Jerry Doyle's politics, and he wasn't the most polished actor, but Garibaldi was a great character. And Jerry nailed it in the last couple of seasons, when Garibaldi was "altered" by the PsiCorps and turned against Sheridan:

RIP:
Andreas Katsulas
Michael O' Hare
Richard Biggs
Tim Choate
Jerry Doyle
Jeff Conaway

Don't worry, they've all been reincarnated as Minbari.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
Future's looking good for Star Trek: Discovery already: http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/cbs-says-star-trek-discovery-is-already-profitable-ahead-of-production/

Not sure how much I buy into that, detecting a little bit of spin there. It's possible they've been able to say that because they haven't actually spent much money on it yet!

Also, this from the comments made me :rolleyes:

An angry nerd posted:

What's Les Moonves smoking? Domestic Star Trek fans are already boycotting the series due to the fan film guidelines.
Love the irony that people are trying to dent the profits of (and so endanger the future of) Star Trek because they want to make their own fake Star Trek. "Listen everyone, you have to avoid watching the new Star Trek series you've been waiting 12 years for, so that you can watch the terrible unasked-for one that we want to make!"

Also cute he thinks that the 0.01% of fans who care about fan films are actually a force to be reckoned with.

Also also, can you boycott something that doesn't exist yet? Sure you can only intend to boycott it?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I think that's a casual usage of present-for-future tense. By a dumb idiot.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall hearing that at one point he was going around telling people that the reason Michael O'Hare left was because he got fired for alcoholism.

Which isn't an unreasonable assumption to make if you aren't aware he's suffering from schizophrenia

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Start Truck Disco Very posted:

already profitable
already boycotting
i guess in a way we're all already dead
and already forgotten

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think it's pretty funny that Les Moonves is hyping up the new series, when he was the one who ordered the cancellation of Enterprise a decade ago.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You can euthanize an animal that's clearly suffering miserably, and still go on to love a new pet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Otisburg posted:

You can euthanize an animal that's clearly suffering miserably, and still go on to love a new pet.

It's more like euthanizing an animal that finally stopped being sick.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
It's more like euthanizing a pet that, while cute, is not getting enough likes on instagram. It's sad but necessary.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Otisburg posted:

I thought Moonves was the one who absolutely hated Star Trek?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Went to my local Ollie's and got the Q and Time Travel best-of's for $6 total. Good deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Forgot CBS owns Showtime. It would be nice if they threw all their showtime subscribers a bone and made it available on showtime anytime which is actually a somewhat decent platform.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

WickedHate posted:

It's more like euthanizing an animal that finally stopped being sick.

I'm not sure how to stretch the analogy further to say that the pet was not getting the ratings it needed to. I think season 4 was the lowest rated of them all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You got a purebred dog from a shady breeder and almost immediately, he started having health issues. You nursed him along for two years, hoping he'd get better. Sure enough, the third year you had him, he started to get stronger and more independent. But halfway through the fourth year you had him, your dad ran him over the same day he learned to fetch and speak. You stuffed him and kept him in the living room for a few months, but now he sits in the attic gathering dust. You think about him now and then, but mostly just to remember how stupid he was those first two years.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Now that's a good metaphor.

Dirty posted:

I'm not sure how to stretch the analogy further to say that the pet was not getting the ratings it needed to. I think season 4 was the lowest rated of them all.

Yeah, obviously, but it feels like the implication of the wording was that it was a terrible show, and in reality it was aggressively mediocre until right when it ended.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've spent the last few days rewatching the Xindi arc, and I can tell you now that once they establish the premise and introduce Degra, the season gets very good. There's still poo poo like Exile, but the back half of that season is loving brutal in the best way. T'Pol is tripping on trellium, Archer is stealing parts from innocent ships in order to complete the mission, Trip is utterly broken from all the death around him, and the ship is a barely functioning wreck. It's what Voyager should have been, but given a more important goal than "go back home". It's not a coincidence that Manny Coto joined the show just as it got good. I'll agree that seasons 1-2 are mediocre-to-garbage, but 3 and 4 are Good Trek, much better than almost everything Voyager ever did.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Problem is that a good half of the cast is still pretty dull even in the fourth season but I guess that's partially the fault of season 1 and 2.

Poor Travis. Barely has any lines in a lot of episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Travis is still the most boring character in his own episode, the one where we meet his cargo crew family. Reed is so boring that I swear the writers were in on the joke. There's an episode in season 3 where they run into an alternate future generation-ship version of Enterprise and Reed is the only person who never got married or had kids. He just dies a lonely boring bachelor and no one gives a poo poo. Hoshi gets zero characterization beyond "was a teacher" and "knows all the languages".

Everyone who isn't Phlox, Archer, Trip, or T'pol is pretty much just interactive set dressing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^there isn't anything terribly wrong with that, it's one more real character than TOS had for example. It's just that even the interesting characters on Ent are dire and boring 90% of the time.

Dirty posted:

All the post TNG shows had this same trend of worse ratings as they went on, the real problem was that Enterprise had bad ratings to start with.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
There'd been a first run season of Trek on for like 13 years atraight when ENT premiered, the last few of which had just been Voyager. People were burnt out. It was not a good time to jump in on a poorly written prequel.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I imagine a season-long 9-11/Iraq allegory probably didn't help.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

sunday at work posted:

There'd been a first run season of Trek on for like 13 years atraight when ENT premiered, the last few of which had just been Voyager. People were burnt out. It was not a good time to jump in on a poorly written prequel.

Hopefully the new prequel isn't poorly written! :haw:

Seriously though, I'll be very disappointed if STD is just another prequel. I want to see new stuff, not backstory dammit!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They basically gave up trying to bring in new viewers by making easily accessible tv that you didn't need to watch a whole bunch of other poo poo to even comprehend at the same time as they began to alienate the people who were already watching by rehashing increasingly tired bullshit and a parasitic relationship with the fandom and the continuity.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just how bad were Enterprise's ratings? Below a 2.0?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I hope they are making the new series Netflix-style in terms of just shooting straight through a season arc and not giving the producers any chance to retool the show partway through.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
How successful is under 2.0 these days?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Berman and Braga were also complacent as gently caress, especially for the first two years. They thought they could keep churning out the same poo poo they'd been doing for years (literally, considering the number of scripts that recycled episodes from previous shows) and people would still watch. Remember how their stock response to questions about how things were going was "We're all very pleased"? It's easy to be pleased when you get paid handsomely for minimum effort.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just how bad were Enterprise's ratings? Below a 2.0?

No, but they came close. The finale was below 4, and most of the last season was lower still.

e: for reference, Farscape never broke 2.0 at any point in its run. Enterprise performed badly relative to its budget and its predecessors, but most sci-fi shows wouldn't have gotten close to its audience. It had about the same kind of viewership figures as Babylon 5.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 30, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HIJK posted:

How successful is under 2.0 these days?

More successful than it was a few years ago. Big Bang Theory and NCIS hover around 4.4-5.0, and they're two of CBS's bigger hits.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Most of the CW lineup does about a 1.5 unless its Arrow or Supernatural and several of those are in their third seasons. Only the really horrid poo poo gets cancelled there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've spent the last few days rewatching the Xindi arc, and I can tell you now that once they establish the premise and introduce Degra, the season gets very good.

No it was bad.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I watched the first season of Enterprise a while back and had a really, really hard time telling the difference between Trip and Reed when they weren't speaking. I didn't even know what Reed's job was until the second season. Maybe that speaks more to my dumb brain but I choose to blame the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Reed is his job. He's the dude in charge of shootiness. Phase pistols, torpedoes, ship security, all that. He's not much more than that, and I've come to appreciate that as I've gotten older. He's mostly professional, but when he falls apart, he does so hard. The military is full of Reeds.

Trip is far more a lovely stereotype, to the point the show lampshades him as a lame southern stereotype.