Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shredder posted:

Can you play this game with just a mouse? I broke my wrist so I can really only use one hand at the moment and I've been playing Civ on the couch, this looks fun.

Treat it as a pausable realtime and abuse that spacebar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Shredder posted:

Can you play this game with just a mouse? I broke my wrist so I can really only use one hand at the moment and I've been playing Civ on the couch, this looks fun.

If you've got an extra button or two on your mouse, you might want to remap the pause (spacebar) and whatever speed is your favorite game speed to the mouse (mine is 3). The thing I find myself hitting the most in the game is the spacebar to pause when something dings at me or when I notice someone doing something dumb.

You can easily click the speed controls/pause with the mouse, but mapping it to the mouse buttons would definitely help me if I were in your situation.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This game is phenomenal. I have a colony of seven and five of which are having some bizarre eyes wide shut five way using the only two person bed I have. That thing must be filthy.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Also my bases are kafkaesque nightmares. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

At set up, you can keep randomly generating colonists until you find one you're happy with. I do not recommend colonists with the trait "is a creepy bug person".

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Someone should make a seemingly innocuous mod that adds, like, a new kind of door that also does a ton of undocumented horror stuff like adding in a secret trait that may make a randomly rolled colonist into The Thing

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
There's a doorway at work that makes everyone forget why they were crossing its threshold in the first place. I fully approve of a mod like that.

Walk through the door, roll a die! Maybe they'll minor mental break and wander, maybe they'll pickup the psychotic trait, maybe they suddenly speak the tongues of the animal kingdom and earn +20 animals, maybe a manhunting thrumbo is what appears on the other side of the doorway!

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Every time i attempt the lost tribe scenario i run out of food long before i can get any crops or self sustaining hunting situation set up. Those 200 or whatever pemmicans they give you last like a day and a half.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
You guys use the fast time thing to boost the speed? I've got a bunch of mods going now and they make it easier but sometimes more convoluted. Mods make this game, though. I save scum, too, though. Iron man might be fun to try.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

malhavok posted:

Every time i attempt the lost tribe scenario i run out of food long before i can get any crops or self sustaining hunting situation set up. Those 200 or whatever pemmicans they give you last like a day and a half.

That one seems to have little chance of success anywhere that isn't reasonably temperate with some foraging opportunities. If you can harvest all the random fruit on the ground that'll stretch you a bit while waiting for that first rice harvest

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
If you're rolling trials, you need to hunt. Pemmican isn't a food supply as much as it is a storage method.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Even hunting with tribals is hard :( it took my guy three days to kill an elk with a bow. Dude just couldn't hit it.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Danaru posted:

Even hunting with tribals is hard :( it took my guy three days to kill an elk with a bow. Dude just couldn't hit it.
Sometimes you have to just draft the hunter because they're trying to fire from maximum range. Only let them do that if they're hunting something actually dangerous.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Also schedule your hunters to work during daylight. Force joy in the evenings.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skaw posted:

If you're rolling trials, you need to hunt. Pemmican isn't a food supply as much as it is a storage method.

Not even great for that as starting tribals since you need a vegetable to go with it anyway. Really unless you're just drowning in meat and veggies and haven't spent the time to research electricity there's no good reason to make pemmican. Just have your cook make 10 simple meals and micromanage your hunting to always have enough on hand for daily use, and once you get potatoes or corn or something that lasts for seasons always just make the simples. Pemmican is only really useful as a "all I have are berries and meat and no fridge" stopgap

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just harvest every bush in the vicinity of the starting location and you should have enough food to last a while.

Disclaimer, I haven't tried tribals on desert or Tundra/Ice Sheet biomes, so I don't know how they work there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Just harvest every bush in the vicinity of the starting location and you should have enough food to last a while.

Disclaimer, I haven't tried tribals on desert or Tundra/Ice Sheet biomes, so I don't know how they work there.

I don't really see how they'd be viable on any terrain that didn't include trees and a decent animal supply. It takes SO LONG to research any basic techs. I started a tribe in an arid wasteland and ended up planting trees all over the place on the hopes they'd grow enough to get some wood out of before the 24 cacti on the map were used up. Barely made it to electricity and advanced cooking with enough wood available to fuel a generator for a couple days

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

malhavok posted:

huh. i think i set up a butcher table + stove as soon as I started and started murdering innocent creatures for food as soon as I could. I'm currently like 3 seasons into my lost tribe run, my biggest issue is that I'm not sure how to handle the increasingly large raid groups with bigger and better weapons when I only have 3 viable shooters in my group of 6.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Azhais posted:

I don't really see how they'd be viable on any terrain that didn't include trees and a decent animal supply. It takes SO LONG to research any basic techs. I started a tribe in an arid wasteland and ended up planting trees all over the place on the hopes they'd grow enough to get some wood out of before the 24 cacti on the map were used up. Barely made it to electricity and advanced cooking with enough wood available to fuel a generator for a couple days

The only biomes that are really nasty for tribals are Desert and Ice Sheet, it's all right if you don't have electricity if you can make it to complex clothing so you can make gear that will let you survive heat wave/cold snap. Hotter is more difficult than colder but you don't even need all that much wood even then, you can grow strawberries in the short term and corn in the longer run so you don't absolutely have to cook, and just about all your furniture/production buildings can be made from other materials than wood. Even Desert isn't that bad if you happen to have a nice soil patch near your home area.

e: Oh haha be buffed Randy Random. :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 30, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just discovered the operations tab.

Now to figure out if I can transplant an eyeball...

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

PerrineClostermann posted:

I just discovered the operations tab.

Now to figure out if I can transplant an eyeball...

The one thing I really want is arm and leg transplants. Losing a limb seems unusually common in this game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There's a good mod for that and it's not really out of line with vanilla:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731733279&searchtext=surgery

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

So erm is this fire going to peter out or whats the plan here

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

if anything it seems to be getting worse

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

my last base was doing good until i stupidly let a bunch of chickens in and they ate everything and reproduced uncontrollably, and then while I was cleaning that up a drone ship dropped right into the middle of the base and a centipede crawled out and minigunned all my good colonists to death

Unless they've changed something in the last patch, miniguns have a maximum accuracy, they don't really aim as much as they spray bullets around a predefined area. The net effect of this is that they almost cannot hit the thing they're actually aiming at at long range. So one guy with a rifle can sit behind a wall and facetank a minigun by not getting hit.

Nation posted:

Not unless it rains. Always build a concrete firebreak around your base in forested terrain.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

rip :( we fought the fire then some assholes came with grenades and my mortar made a worse fire than the one pictured except in the centre of my base

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

OwlFancier posted:

Unless they've changed something in the last patch, miniguns have a maximum accuracy, they don't really aim as much as they spray bullets around a predefined area. The net effect of this is that they almost cannot hit the thing they're actually aiming at at long range. So one guy with a rifle can sit behind a wall and facetank a minigun by not getting hit.

Not unless it rains. Always build a concrete firebreak around your base in forested terrain.

the real problem was the mechanoid that came along for the ride. weirdly it didn't kill anything but everyone he tapped with the charge rifle got an infection and one of the people that got really mangled up was the only decent doctor in the camp. i guess i shoulda kept my medical area a bit tidier but he also took out the cleaners.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Well, just got to see the horrible demise of a colony for the first time. Thought I'd write a quick trip report, though I'm sure none of this is all that rare.

I settled in the large forested area of a hilly map with moderate temperature, it was a sort of nice little idyllic place with a large patch of rich soil nearby. Two of my colonists were a married couple, so I decided to build everyone their own little 7x7 cottages instead of the barren 3x3 rooms I usually do, each complete with a double bed. There was a cafeteria for eating, a work room next door, and then fields of planted food. One of my colonists started with a husky named Petunia that was quickly trained to haul goods. Aside from the occasional incident, such as Petunia having her eye and front paw ripped off, things started off pretty well. When it came time to give my settlement a name, I decided to be cheeky and name it Mistake.

Mistake was going great. The walk-in freezer was packed with food, everybody got along, and the only raids were quickly dispatched with. That all changed one day, when my one unmarried(I thought) colonist named Carrot was reunited with his wife.

Bekina escaped from the local pirate gang and came running to us for protection. Obviously I aided her, since she was Carrot's wife and Mistake needed more workers. Soon enough, the pirates came looking for Bekina, but that's not all. The leader of this pirate raid was the estranged mother of one of my other colonists, Ash. Before I could stop him, Ash's husband blew her mother's brains out with a hunting rifle. From that point on things only went downhill. Carrot and Bekina soon divorced after a fight, leading to a string of near-constant mental breaks where she would feebly try to attack someone or strip naked and set my wooden buildings on fire. While dealing with Bekina's crazy episodes, the pirate gang continued to step up their raids, but things were largely under control.

Then winter came. Having never played long enough to actually encounter winter before, I was totally unprepared for it. There were no heaters in sight, much less a campfire. Bekina, due to her stripping naked yet again, immediately caught hypothermia. The other colonists scrambled to hunt more food and construct heaters, but were interrupted by a large tribal raid that was only turned back thanks to Petunia and my pack of timber wolves. As soon as the tribals were dealt with, the pirates came knocking again. This time they had grenades, and blew a hole in the mountain pass I'd dug out. My colonists somehow managed to turn them back, but were now hypothermic and frostbitten due to being out in the open with no rest. Bekina soon died, and before she could even be moved out of the bed, her ex-husband was laying down to die on top of her. Winter ravaged my colony as my last two functioning colonists labored with frostbitten fingers and toes. They just might have been able to survive, if hadn't been for Petunia.

Suffering from hunger and stress, Petunia got a taste of human meat and became a manhunter. The colonists were far too weakened to defend themselves. She killed the both of them and ate them. The only thing left of Mistake were four frozen bodies, some empty wood cabins, and a pack of wolves lead by a one-eyed husky named Petunia.

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016

Interestingly, I had a pretty similar experience with my first colony. Started out in a temperate mountain, settled in a little portion of a valley. After some shenanigans, we picked up a guy named Sacriel fleeing a pirate raid. Sacriel was both greedy and a night owl, which was excellent given that the colony was dirt-poor and most operations took place in daylight due to the lack of batteries and geotherm generators. Naturally, I get poor mood notices daily for the better part of a season, until a miraculous thing happened: Lloyd, one of my starting colonists, fell in love with him.

They were duly given a double bed and a lovely wooden statue of the nudist colonist as a housewarming gift, and all was well. The bad-bedroom and daytime-night-owl maluses were handily set off by the love bonus, they planned their marriage, everything was looking good. Then a pirate raid came along and Lloyd caught a terminal case of grenade-in-face syndrome. Also dead in this raid was my best shooter Kimmy's father, who was leading the raid. On the plus side, we did pick up the pawn that was running away from the pirates: Charna the bodyguard, who was incongruously incapable of both violence and, apparently, happiness, given that she started tossing poor mood messages at me within twenty minutes.

Score so far: One dead colonist, three terminally unhappy colonists, one nudist, one psychopath, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Lloyd was interred in a sarcophagus (hilariously, the art on the sarcophagus depicts one of the twelve thousand times she vomited due to food poisoning) by Sacriel. Sacriel then proceeded to hover at 0 mood for about a season before beginning to go berserk at intervals. He hospitalized literally every other colonist at least once. I was hoping to see if I could get him through the death of his wife-to-be. We got to within a season of the malus expiring when he managed to disarm Kimmy in the most literal fashion possible. Not-so-reluctantly, I had him euthanized and interred next to his fiance. Down a man and with two others wandering in a daze at intervals, the colony found itself short of food due to a lack of growers and Charna eating all the potatoes. Luckily, a group of alphabeavers wandered onto the map. Easy meat, I thought, and I drafted Nicky the psychopathic doctor and sent her on her way. I'd cleared out alphabeavers before, and I didn't expect much of a threat.

What I didn't realize was that sometimes, when you piss off an animal enough for it to attack you, the entire pack can join in. So, in true Dwarf Fortress fashion, my last doctor was incapacitated by a swarm of ten oversized beavers. I drafted the last functioning colonist, Miu the nudist brawler, to try to rescue Nicky. Miu was then incapacitated by a swarm of ten oversized beavers. The beaver menace then headed to the main colony, where both Kimmy and Charna were wandering outside. The turret guns managed to disable one beaver, but nine were more than enough, and Kimmy and Charna were struck down. The Citadel died a hilariously ironic death, taken over from the inside by beavers, its defenders dying slowly of blood loss far beyond its walls.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nation posted:

If your colony hasn't burned yet and you don't have the time/supplies to build a concrete wall you can order your colonists to cut the vegetation in a line to the right of your fort. The fire should then end there.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sankis posted:

If your colony hasn't burned yet and you don't have the time/supplies to build a concrete wall you can order your colonists to cut the vegetation in a line to the right of your fort. The fire should then end there.

Yeah, I usually make a firebreak by cutting the plants in a line in front of my colony if there are fires encroaching, while praying for rain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

the real problem was the mechanoid that came along for the ride. weirdly it didn't kill anything but everyone he tapped with the charge rifle got an infection and one of the people that got really mangled up was the only decent doctor in the camp. i guess i shoulda kept my medical area a bit tidier but he also took out the cleaners.

Oh yeah scythers are bastards and there's not really a good way to kill them fuckers except bait them round a corner and EMP grenade them, then mob them with clubbers/automatic fire from close range.

You can try kiting them with a sniper but you need a really good sniper to outshoot them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fortunately they have very little health so they die fast if you can get a couple people on them. Centipedes with incinerators are far more nerve wracking for me since it takes a bunch of good shooters a long rear end time to take them out while they bake your bunkers.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
I've installed a bunch of mods from the workshop, having not played since alpha 8 or so.

When I enable them I get a list of error messages that look like they're something to do with a Voids object and the tag used for research costs changing, but nothing actually tells me which file / mod is causing said errors. Selectively enabling/disabling mods without restarting the game doesn't help. Am I being dumb or am I going to have to reload the game 20 times trying to figure out which mod is responsible?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah scythers are bastards and there's not really a good way to kill them fuckers except bait them round a corner and EMP grenade them, then mob them with clubbers/automatic fire from close range.

You can try kiting them with a sniper but you need a really good sniper to outshoot them.

I've had success with setting up by a wall and equipping a simple pistol. You can pop out of cover, shoot, then pop back in before they can retaliate. It takes a while and you need a good shooter, but it's pretty risk free if you're careful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slime posted:

I've had success with setting up by a wall and equipping a simple pistol. You can pop out of cover, shoot, then pop back in before they can retaliate. It takes a while and you need a good shooter, but it's pretty risk free if you're careful.

Yeah someone who can shoot faster than they can is the most reliable method but it does require fairly optimal conditions to pull off, and is hard to do against ones protecting a ship part.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nullkigan posted:

I've installed a bunch of mods from the workshop, having not played since alpha 8 or so.

When I enable them I get a list of error messages that look like they're something to do with a Voids object and the tag used for research costs changing, but nothing actually tells me which file / mod is causing said errors. Selectively enabling/disabling mods without restarting the game doesn't help. Am I being dumb or am I going to have to reload the game 20 times trying to figure out which mod is responsible?

Do you have the Community Core Library installed? A lot of mods use it and you'll have to have it loading before them (I load it first)

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Actually picked this up after reading a bit in the thread and some of the reviews on Steam. Anything a first timer should know/try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Just The Facts posted:

Actually picked this up after reading a bit in the thread and some of the reviews on Steam. Anything a first timer should know/try?
Don't get too attached to your colonists. Jump in and die a glorious death. Reroll your starters so you have a good shooter, good doctor, and a good chef.