Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I actually thought the show did a pretty good job with characterizing Reed. Hell, I even liked the episode where the B-plot was literally just the crew trying to find out what his favorite fruit was.

Also, drug addict and half Romulan T'Pol was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Reed is his job. He's the dude in charge of shootiness. Phase pistols, torpedoes, ship security, all that. He's not much more than that, and I've come to appreciate that as I've gotten older. He's mostly professional, but when he falls apart, he does so hard. The military is full of Reeds.

Trip is far more a lovely stereotype, to the point the show lampshades him as a lame southern stereotype.

He's not going to understand it if you explain like that.

Trip fixes things. Things to make them go.

Reed shoots things. Things to make them dead.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

"Welp, the hatch on this alien ship is locked, but it's not a problem because I can just blow it up" is one of the first thing Reed does on Enterprise. Much later, Reed geeked-out over WW2 German dive bombers in the middle of an attack and made T'Pol roll her eyes.

Reed owns.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

http://www.epictimes.com/07/28/2016/j-michael-straczynskis-statement-death-jerry-doyle/

Good read.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Welp, saw Beyond tonight (after seeing Ghostbusters in the afternoon, which I thought was pretty good. Not classic as a film, but Holtzman might be a classic character and the whole movie may as well be The Jillian Holtzman Show because every shot is designed to make Kate McKinnon seem like the funniest, coolest, most badass woman to have ever lived. Like she will steal your girlfriend and you'll thank her for the privilege between laughs).

Movie was very good and I agree with everyone who says it's probably on the First Contact level or maybe a hair above. The best thing I can say is it felt like Star Trek. Pine's Kirk finally got to a place where I can see a smidge of Shatner's, but not so much so that it feels like an impersonation. Quinto's Spock is emotional, but Spock always was. Half of TOS was him barely concealing his annoyance/anger at McCoy or affection for someone. Feels like every 3rd episode had some outburst. And movie-era Spock accepted that his human half and his emotions were important parts of him, and another step on his path to wisdom. Quinto-Spock just had a cheat sheet to get there a little faster. Plus there's like 3 years between STID and STB. If dude smiles once in 3 years, that's still a big deal.

Urban's the one that stands the best from the impersonation stance, as his Kelley is uncanny, and when he's given the material, he nails it. Nearly every line of his had the entire cinema howling at my showing, the only exceptions being the clearly dramatic scenes.

The climax with "Sabotage" was amazing and I realized exactly what track Jaylah was going to play about 10 seconds before it happened and spent the whole scene with a huge grin. Especially with the main trio's reactions.

I think Krall's motivation, thematically anyway, is a bit more complex than 'revenge'. (I don't think Admiral Robocop was after revenge, either? I thought it was a whole false-flag/pre-emptive strike thing?) It's basically a concept of nativism and nationalism (Edison feeling like we need to constantly be in conflict with aliens, trying to beat them and 'win' without any thought to what winning actually gets you, basically a harder-line version of Archer's anti-Vulcan stance at the start of ENT) vs diversity and the Federation's cosmpolitan, diplomatic utopia, which shows that Pegg and his writing partner understand Trek a lot better than the previous team.

I also agree with the notion that Yelchin shouldn't be recast, and instead adding Jaylah to the bridge crew would make a lot more sense, especially as Chekov's function in these films fits with her established character in this one: The youthful tech prodigy.

Main critique I had was the shaky-cam in the fight scenes. There was literally one shot I recall where I could actually see the fight choreography.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

(I don't think Admiral Robocop was after revenge, either? I thought it was a whole false-flag/pre-emptive strike thing?)
Khan's role is the revenge quota for that film.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The real problem I have with Quinto's Spock is that he has no gravitas. A lot of that is the voice. Nimoy's voice is iconic: gravelly, measured, and authoritative. You can instantly take him seriously as a not-quite-military officer when he speaks. His reading says "this dude knows what is up", and that's how the character is written too. Quinto's voice is much higher pitched and his delivery is a lot faster. His voice doesn't command respect. When he delivers lines full of technobabble he doesn't sound like an officer or scientist speaking with authority; he sounds like a pompous nerd.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Evek posted:

Most of the CW lineup does about a 1.5 unless its Arrow or Supernatural and several of those are in their third seasons. Only the really horrid poo poo gets cancelled there.

The only thing on CW that pulls in greater than a 1 rating in the key demo is Flash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, Iggy Pop Vorta!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rhyno posted:

That is a good episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

And people say the Ferengi episodes are bad :jerkbag:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And people say the Ferengi episodes are bad :jerkbag:

Eh, he was the high point of the episode. The rest was pretty forgettable.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_7Pz85XJ7Q

VHS boardgame appearance towards the end.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

No it was bad.

What I hated about the Xindi arc was that it almost immediately took away from the premise of the show. If you're going to do a prequel, then it should be the Enterprise exploring the Alpha Quadrant and finding new poo poo, setting up the world we see in TOS. Oh look, here's this new planet blah blah and we are having first contact with them! Here's some weird cool poo poo like giant space amoebas like Kirk used to find! And if they were really ballsy, they could have went with canon and had the Enterprise have no viewscreens so it was like Wrath of Khan sub warfare, radio only (or BSG, to name another example of good, non-viewscreen scifi). And lasers and atomic missiles instead of "phase pistols" and "photonic torpedoes." No shields instead of "hull plating." No transporters the whole run of the show. Instead of making it a 1:1 clone of TNG era Trek, it could have been very different.

Granted, they reversed that later with the Vulcan/Andorian/Tellerite stuff, and they had some cool exploration episodes, but the Xindi arc was a misstep. Hopefully if STD is a prequel again, they'll do a better job sticking with the premise right away.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The really annoying thing was that they had the romulan war right there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The really annoying thing was how bad everything was, including the cringe-worthy space 9/11.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Arglebargle III posted:

The really annoying thing was how bad everything was, including the cringe-worthy space 9/11.

DS9 did it better, and before 9/11 even!

(Let's not forget the episode it copied wholesale from DS9, including having René Auberjonois)

Kazy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 30, 2016

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like the third season, honestly. There's a clear story, and I feel like it's pretty lovely to criticize it for being a reaction to 9/11. That event happened a mere two years earlier, and it coloured everything for a long time.

I enjoy the fourth, but it feels way less focused despite having better stories overall.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kazy posted:

(Let's not forget the episode it copied wholesale from DS9, including having René Auberjonois)

DS9 was an amalgam of WW2, Cold War, and Vietnam battles and issues. Enterprise was straight 9-11/Iraq.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah if your referring to the Coup episodes or the Breen attack they read more like Cold War reactions like the strategy of tension in Italy (replace communists with Changelings) and Pearl Harbour inspired ( a surprise attack by a neutral if hostile power that sides with the enemy), the Maquis as the name suggest were supposed to be like the French resistance though they seemed more like a third world guerrilla movement, in the episodes we saw them playing a big role.

I don't really get 9/11 vibe from DS9 at all. Though I first watched the show before 9/11, so maybe its one of those things a newer audience sees when they come to it. Unless of course your all talking about another bit in DS9 I'm forgetting.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gaz-L posted:

The climax with "Sabotage" was amazing and I realized exactly what track Jaylah was going to play about 10 seconds before it happened and spent the whole scene with a huge grin. Especially with the main trio's reactions.

That whole scene is the first I can think of to outdo "I've got an idea!" from Stargate with regards to a scene where you see exactly where they're going with it and it just makes the payoff better when they do it.

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah if your referring to the Coup episodes or the Breen attack they read more like Cold War reactions like the strategy of tension in Italy (replace communists with Changelings) and Pearl Harbour inspired ( a surprise attack by a neutral if hostile power that sides with the enemy), the Maquis as the name suggest were supposed to be like the French resistance though they seemed more like a third world guerrilla movement, in the episodes we saw them playing a big role.

I don't really get 9/11 vibe from DS9 at all. Though I first watched the show before 9/11, so maybe its one of those things a newer audience sees when they come to it. Unless of course your all talking about another bit in DS9 I'm forgetting.

Probably more Homefront/Paradise Lost with having a group of terrorists hiding among the populace and in the wake of an attack there are now soldiers on the streets and people pushing to trade personal freedoms for security. They lucked into a couple real world parallels before they actually happened.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Cat Hatter posted:

Probably more Homefront/Paradise Lost with having a group of terrorists hiding among the populace and in the wake of an attack there are now soldiers on the streets and people pushing to trade personal freedoms for security. They lucked into a couple real world parallels before they actually happened.

Eh, no that's happened plenty of times before, that was exactly how the Strategy of Tension in Italy was supposed to work, only the plan was exposed before the neo Fascist take over could happen. Pretty much most coups use a deteriorating security situation as justification for the Generals to takeover, and in most cases there's an open question as to whether or not the coup plotters were involved or just deliberately negligent.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazy posted:

That's par for the course, there were at least a couple of Voyager episodes that were straight-up TNG rehashes

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Baka-nin posted:

Eh, no that's happened plenty of times before, that was exactly how the Strategy of Tension in Italy was supposed to work, only the plan was exposed before the neo Fascist take over could happen. Pretty much most coups use a deteriorating security situation as justification for the Generals to takeover, and in most cases there's an open question as to whether or not the coup plotters were involved or just deliberately negligent.

...and then it happened again. I don't think anyone is under the impression that the Trek writers looked into a crystal ball and saw the future so much as there were a bunch of explicit 9/11 allegories afterward and several goons (myself included) think DS9 used prior history to touch on the subject better than most of the stories that were explicitly about 9/11.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It was probably helped by both the generally higher quality of DS9 and not having actually had a bloody gash torn in America. I mean 9/11 legitimately seems to have broken a lot of people's brains, such as Frank Miller's.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Enterprise is a good show, thats my opinion. Haven't seen season 1 or 2 though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's probably why you think it's a good show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Even with those, it's an OK-to-good show, though. Worth watching if you are at all a Trek fan, just with cringeworthy bits and boring bits along with the good bits, like, you know, Star Trek.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Kazy posted:

To be fair that was more a Tempest rehash than any specific episode of DS9.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me find the answer to a few pieces of Star Trek trivia that I've been looking for. I figured this was the best place to ask.

1) When it is revealed in Star Trek 5 that Sybok is Spock's half brother, is that retconning a piece of established lore from the series/earlier films? Did Spock or Sarek ever outright say that Spock was an only child?

2) Is it true that Gene Roddenberry wanted the Ferengi to have giant dong's that required massive codpieces to house them and that they were meant to be great lovers? I've seen it mentioned on Memory Alpha but its only source is an obscure magazine article. Is it documented anywhere else?

Cheers!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

2) Is it true that Gene Roddenberry wanted the Ferengi to have giant dong's that required massive codpieces to house them and that they were meant to be great lovers? I've seen it mentioned on Memory Alpha but its only source is an obscure magazine article. Is it documented anywhere else?

The original premise of the Magnificent Ferengi was going to involve the theft of Rom's enormous dick.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DeadBonesBrook posted:

This is definitely true, though I don't know about the codpiece part. It was in the original in-house guide for the series before the main characters were even cast.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

The original premise of the Magnificent Ferengi was going to involve the theft of Rom's enormous dick.
Additionally, their cranial earlobe things were supposed to basically be their balls, so Oomox was way more hands on.

Though god knows why Gene Roddenberry wanted schluby guys with bad teeth to be known as remarkably adept lovers :iiam:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FilthyImp posted:

Though god knows why Gene Roddenberry wanted schluby guys with bad teeth to be known as remarkably adept lovers :iiam:

More influence from his lawyer?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

1) When it is revealed in Star Trek 5 that Sybok is Spock's half brother, is that retconning a piece of established lore from the series/earlier films? Did Spock or Sarek ever outright say that Spock was an only child?

I'm pretty sure it had never been mentioned either way.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Out of interest, would Enterprise actually function as a prequel? I mean I just watched the augment episode and thematically while it is a little ham fisted given all the nods to the future I think it could actually function quite well as effective foreshadowing/world building if you watched it wayy before you got to TNG.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I guess that first paragraph explains why the Ferengi kept twitching and snarling like they were on the mother of all sugar rushes. Out of everything odd and dumb in the last outpost that's the part that really convinced me that these guys were a joke. I'm pretty sure it was the first thing they ditched while hastily retooling them, they don't act like that in the Battle do they?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's hard to have an enemy be taken seriously if they're fidgety little goblins. Keep in mind the 'faster than Wyatt Earp on a bad day' would have been too expensive for them to sell with SFX on a regular basis, so that would be out too.

It's a lot more imposing and scary if the master manipulator sneaks have some charisma. That's a large part of why the Cardassians work. You're never sure if they're in a long con or actually friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
The Ferengi were at their best in their own episodes of DS9. If there were a Star Trek spin-off that was just the misadventures of Ferengi, I would watch the poo poo out of it.
It's Never Sunny on Ferenginar or something like that.