Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Tracula posted:

It was definitely Sprite and not just carbonated water. I could understand that at least. The whole ice wrapped in a towel thing is what initially threw me off since I figured it was gonna be for a bruise or something but then she just started scrubbing with it after dousing it.

Again I could easily be in the wrong here but this screams of life hack to me.

Nope, that's a legit hack. My bf just pours a little Sprite on the grill at work while it's still hot, and it wipes clean in a flash. I haven't heard the ice in a towel thing, but that would certainly make sense if you're doing a non-flat surface like hot dog rollers and can't just straight up pour Sprite on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Nope, that's a legit hack. My bf just pours a little Sprite on the grill at work while it's still hot, and it wipes clean in a flash. I haven't heard the ice in a towel thing, but that would certainly make sense if you're doing a non-flat surface like hot dog rollers and can't just straight up pour Sprite on it.

I am curious if this works with diet sodas... Been doing too much chemistry and can't figure out if that will change things.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

VioletCorsica posted:

I am curious if this works with diet sodas... Been doing too much chemistry and can't figure out if that will change things.

It's mostly from the carbonic acid, so it should work.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Ice could be to melt to the shape of the rollers, or provide a gradual source of water

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
If the rollers are still hot the ice is to stop her hand burning surely?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Why not all three? That's what makes it a proper lifehack.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I can confirm that this works. I've been a cashier for years and a towel full of ice works in several ways.
First it protects your hand from getting burned, and it makes a good scrubbing surface that conforms to the shape of the rollers, lastly it provides its own water as the rollers would dry out a regular rag.
Not sure why Sprite would help, but I'm sure it has something to do with the acid.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Carbonic acid, man, carbonic acid. It is known.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I was told to use Sprite to clean the saute pans years ago when I worked at Chipotle. It did a poo poo job of it as the sugar just caramelized in it and then you had to scrub burned sugar off as well as all the other poo poo. I tried doing it when the pan wasn't hot (and we were specifically told it had to be hot) and it worked slightly better, but not any better than water and elbow grease. I use soda water to clean most of my bar equipment these days and it works well enough.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah using sugar to clean anything is dumb as poo poo. That's why it's in this thread I guess?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Having said that, dry sugar is fine as an abrasive but hardly optimal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Phosphoric, found in many sodas, is good at removing rust.

Lifehack: use commercial rust remover anyway. They work faster and cleaner than cola.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Just splash soft drinks on the floor and slurp them up like an animal you piece of poo poo

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Stairs posted:

Ibut I'm sure it has something to do with the acid.

This also explains why my last trip to 711 ended unceremoniously.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Stairs posted:

I can confirm that this works. I've been a cashier for years and a towel full of ice works in several ways.
First it protects your hand from getting burned, and it makes a good scrubbing surface that conforms to the shape of the rollers, lastly it provides its own water as the rollers would dry out a regular rag.
Not sure why Sprite would help, but I'm sure it has something to do with the acid.

That's more or less what I figured it was but as other posters pointed out I'd really figure using actual cleaner would be better.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

Tracula posted:

That's more or less what I figured it was but as other posters pointed out I'd really figure using actual cleaner would be better.

Most degreasers aren't food-safe so they have to be rinsed off; soda water just evaporates. (Source: was a kitchendhand in college).

Not so much a stupid hack as an obvious one: Lifehacker just ran an article saying you can prevent oatmeal from overflowing in the microwave by using a lower power setting. IIRC most brands' instructions on the box say "Microwave on MEDIUM for X minutes/seconds." Do people not realize microwaves have different settings?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Goddamn Particle posted:

Most degreasers aren't food-safe so they have to be rinsed off; soda water just evaporates. (Source: was a kitchendhand in college).

Not so much a stupid hack as an obvious one: Lifehacker just ran an article saying you can prevent oatmeal from overflowing in the microwave by using a lower power setting. IIRC most brands' instructions on the box say "Microwave on MEDIUM for X minutes/seconds." Do people not realize microwaves have different settings?

Every american is secretly Tim Taylor. More power!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lifehacker basically exists to teach kids moving away to college how to function as adults. By advertising it as a lifehack they disguise the fact they're giving directions like parents would.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Len posted:

Lifehacker basically exists to teach kids moving away to college how to function as adults. By advertising it as a lifehack they disguise the fact they're giving directions like parents would.

They really need to bring back all those instructional shorts from the 50s, only with more diverse casting and less unyieldingly in-your-face nationalism.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Caveat. Mr b natural needs to be even more androgynous

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Karma Monkey posted:

They really need to bring back all those instructional shorts from the 50s, only with more diverse casting and less unyieldingly in-your-face nationalism.

Seriously. When I was I lived in the dorms a girl across the hall set off the fire alarm making soup in a microwave. Apparently the directions said to put a paper towel over the container and she did, then it caught fire.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
The only thing androgynous was the name. Aside from that, Mr. B's gynous all the way.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Caveat. Mr b natural needs to be even more androgynous

Well, yea, that goes without saying. I want more androgyny in all of the instructional shorts. :colbert:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Where can I purchase a pair of instructional shorts

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Butt Ox posted:

Where can I purchase a pair of instructional shorts

No charge, mi amigo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l92Mu4-Dheo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That one is good, but this one tells you what to wear in the year 2000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9eAiy0IGBI&t=19s

Check that hathack for finding an honest man.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

That's a good one, but the only thing they got right was the portable phone, unless you count Lady Gaga, in which case a lot of the outfits are very close to accurate. Here's a PSA for goons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxBOSdl-b54

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Facebook Aunt posted:

Fuckin' Bioshock flashbacks man.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Facebook Aunt posted:

Ooh! SWISH!

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The man of the future has a cargo shirt.

Thank god humanity didn't go down the dark path of every man having an every day carry that they brag about.

"My phone is in the center of my chest obviously, and candy (for cuties) is in my lower right chest pocket."

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Len posted:

Seriously. When I was I lived in the dorms a girl across the hall set off the fire alarm making soup in a microwave. Apparently the directions said to put a paper towel over the container and she did, then it caught fire.

Should I not be covering my soup bowls with a paper towel? :confused:

Did she put the bowl and the paper towel in the microwave but forget the soup? Was she trying to microwave the can?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Jul 30, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Should I not be covering my soup bowls with a paper towel? :confused:

Did she put the bowl and the paper towel in the microwave but forget the soup? Was she trying to microwave the can?

I don't even know what she did. She wasn't a smart person though and we all yelled at the roommate who made her feel welcome visiting our room.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It just came to my attention that lemons aren't a naturally occurring fruit: they're a hybrid of the citron and the mandarin.

Take that, literally every naturopathic lifehack ever.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A guy at work microwaved a tin of Pilchards once. Don't worry though guys, the smoke, sparks and frankly astonishing smell is fine guys, he took the lid off first :v:

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

I don't even know what she did. She wasn't a smart person though and we all yelled at the roommate who made her feel welcome visiting our room.

If a microwave has a broken turntable, all kids of poo poo that should be fine to microwave ends up smoking and can catch fire. People at work scorch popcorn bags all the time because they don't know which microwave to use.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

CommonShore posted:

It just came to my attention that lemons aren't a naturally occurring fruit: they're a hybrid of the citron and the mandarin.

Take that, literally every naturopathic lifehack ever.

I'm pretty sure the only naturally occurring citrus fruits are mandarins, citrons and pomelos. A thousand years of delicious GMO. :sotw:

(Don't bother eating pomelos, they're like big weird fibrous grapefruits.)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Brass Key posted:

Lifehack: ignore silly recommendations from the internet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brass Key posted:

I'm pretty sure the only naturally occurring citrus fruits are mandarins, citrons and pomelos. A thousand years of delicious GMO. :sotw:

And papeda, which is apparently entirely inedible but is nonetheless important to the genetics of several modern citrus fruits. I've had pomelo. It's bad. But I don't like grapefruit either. Really I was just so amazed by this when I learned it this morning that I had to share it somewhere (I was thinking about citrons and wanted to see the relationship between citrons and lemons). Yes I sit and contemplate citrons.

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Jul 30, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Brass Key posted:

Pomelo is also how you say grapefruit in Spanish so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
And citron is how you say lemon in swedish.