Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

kapparomeo posted:

It's fascinating that a man who is so keen on organising labour is so unremittingly awful at organising Labour.

its a lot easier when you can chain and whip them for sure

368: the great conspiracy ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I said that if we grant it for the sake of argument then the complaint is still stupid.

If your response to working with someone who has, at worst, apparently forgotten something you were doing, is to quit your job and write to the papers about them, that says more about your inability to work as a team than theirs.
This is nonsensical. Just because you or other people work at jobs with lovely management (as I have in the past) doesn't mean that poo poo management of the official opposition is OK. This isn't a random office somewhere, this is supposed to be the next government.
This is the most basic stuff, working with the people you've delegated tasks to. Having some idea of what they're doing. JC can't do it. Why is this OK again?

OwlFancier posted:

If I can be expected, and in some cases manage, to work around managerial incompetence, I expect a cabinet minister to do the same.

Like the logical solution there is to go find Jeremy and badger him about it until he sorts it out. Not sit with your thumb up your arse writing letters about something that's obviously important and then writing to the bloody papers when you don't get an answer.
What? It's OK that there is such a lack of communication that the shadow cabinet has to go camp out in the leader's office to get even the most basic response to the most basic of queries? Some of them have literally had to do what you describe, they went and camped out in his office.
This is absurd, and it's absurd that people are making excuses for it because all the other MPs are all nasty and stuff and won't get in line with their leader who is somehow even more useless than the one they just had, who gave them their worst election defeat in loving ages.
This isn't just her, this is a bunch of others, it's Coleman, it's Murphy and on and on. People have been saying they are exceptionally useless at this stuff.
Not only that but on the accounts this is not seen as 'normal' managerial rubbishness witnessed in, for example, shadow cabinets of the past. This is exceptional levels of brain-dead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you were to ask me what that complaint, and the others represent, it's the actions of someone who doesn't like their boss and is going out of their way to be a passive aggressive dick about it. I would say that because that's what I do when I don't like my boss. When I do like my boss, or if I am doing something I believe to be important, I will make an effort to work around issues like that because it's frankly not very difficult and assuming I'm not actively hostile or completely mentally checked out of the job I'm doing, it makes a lot of sense to put that extra little bit of effort in to get the important work done.

Now I am quite willing to grant that MPs are openly hostile to Corbyn because they've been consistently hostile to him since before he was even elected, but the issue there is not Corbyn, not in a democratic system, he's the elected leader and it is the function of the MPs to ensure that he's an effective one. If MPs aren't willing to do that, they need to go.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

DesperateDan posted:

Someone is that shocked and upset that something good that they put time and effort into is pissed all over by management with neither sense or reason?

Then that someone hasn't spent much time in, or paid any real attention at any organisation they have been a part of, because even the sleekest and most efficient looking management teams are held together with nothing but good hopes and duct tape behind a pleasant looking facade.

Or, alternatively, certain aspects have been looked at from unique angles to find the correct narrative on something that would otherwise be a non-story but just so happens to be bfjc

On it's own this looks like a real shame but not a complete disaster but if there's more of it going on that hasn't been made public - and there's been plenty of hints - it's something that Corbyn and his circle should be pressured on by people on his side they might listen to, in the interests of this whole left-wing resurgence. If they don't pull basic press messaging and policy ideas together alongside their outreach and movement building the latter has no hope of getting them into power to reverse austerity. Surely they need to rope in as many of the rest of labour as will work with them and build a visible concrete platform of practical ideas to stave off occupy-itus. If leaders like Mcdonnel can't or wont use useful ideas, communicate or cooporate with all the rest of labour they're pretty much guaranteeing a split in the party along.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
AFAIK, this isn't really a one time thing? There has been lots of complaints in general about the difficulty of reaching Corbyn or any of his inner-circle for advice or marching orders.

The real shame is that people should be bringing these flaws to light more often to pressure Corbyn into working on them and improving them but its all drowned out by the utter nonsense the PLP is spewing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

quote:

“The people in Michaela are kind and polite.”

quote:

“The teachers are fantastic at Michaela. They are kind and always happy doing their job. They give us merits and demerits.

Demerits can lead to detention, but that’s a good thing because it shows us not to be impolite and shows us how to be kind and respectful.”

quote:

“Michaela has made me into a much kinder person.”

quote:

“Since I left primary, I have become much kinder at helping pupils, teachers and even at home.”

I wonder how often being kind and being polite is beaten into these kids if 4 out of 14 handpicked student quotes all mention it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's some ace indoctrination work.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Clearly don't indoctrinate them with humility, talking up how kind you are? How gauche!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Hoops posted:

If we grant for the sake of argument that I am a violent sadistic wife-beater, my wife really is dumb for marrying me.

:yikes:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I wonder how often being kind and being polite is beaten into these kids if 4 out of 14 handpicked student quotes all mention it?

It seems weird that it has an endorsement from Boris Johnson, he doesn't seem like the authoritarian type. On reflection that's probably more his media personality than anything (bit like him ruffling his hair before going on camera and the like).

Can hardly say May's better for civil liberties though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 30, 2016

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I bet those kids are incredibly polite though.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The real question is, have you stopped beating your wife?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I bet they're incredibly sadistic to each other when the teachers aren't looking.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I just found a copy of their school rules someone had uploaded.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Munin posted:

Not if it is being spoon fed to you with plenty of free booze to help the story go down. Basically:

Jeremy Corbyn is not playing that status quo and it is a huge problem if he wants to get any positive coverage in the media. He would have to schmooze people he hates, serve them pre-hashed stories which they can drop into their paper with minimal work and let juicy tidbitss drop from thee top table to make them think that they are important and have a unique inside line to the People Who Matter.

The whole lecture series stuff and speeches in local places and detailed discussion of policy points is all well and good but those have to be accompanied by a press pack which spoon feeds the 1 or 2 main points to a set of hacks which they have previously lunched with a few times. Even better if through these lunches the hacks got wind of your initiates beforehand.

Schmoozing with parts of the establishment isn't a Corbyn thing though and many people in this thread would be pissed off with him if it was.

I wish Corbyn would do exactly this, or employ people to do it. He doesn't have to do it directly himself.

It wouldn't have to involve changing any of his policies or general philosophy in any way, or doing less on Facebook or ending the McDonnell lectures.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm getting worried, what if Jeremy Corbyn is just a loving idiot?

Evidence: He is an MP.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Paxman posted:

I wish Corbyn would do exactly this, or employ people to do it. He doesn't have to do it directly himself.

It wouldn't have to involve changing any of his policies or general philosophy in any way, or doing less on Facebook or ending the McDonnell lectures.
I've consistently expressed my support for "Jeremy Corbyn surrounded by a better loving team".

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Hoops posted:

If we grant it for the sake of argument though, then the problem is much bigger than her being a bit of a baby. It's just an odd tactic to use to discredit her. If we grant for the sake of argument that I am a violent sadistic wife-beater, my wife really is dumb for marrying me.

lmao

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Hoops posted:

I've consistently expressed my support for "Jeremy Corbyn surrounded by a better loving team".

I think his team's main trouble is the degree to which it's on a learning curve. There's simply no-one who combines the right politics with the relevant experience.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

OvineYeast posted:

I think his team's main trouble is the degree to which it's on a learning curve. There's simply no-one who combines the right politics with the relevant experience.
And Seamus Milne

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Just reading this Guardian piece on the possible split

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/30/owen-smith-should-condemn-attempts-to-split-labour-says-john-mcdonnell

It's incredible. They still manage to talk about threats to Angela Eagle.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/759401130732421120

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Carswell has the aura of true, ugly evilness lurking below the surface that disturbs me. You know how like dogs start barking at the woods in horror movies because they sense something.

Farage doesn't have it, not many do. The last person who gave me that same feeling was Nick Griffin.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Hoops posted:

Carswell has the aura of true, ugly evilness lurking below the surface that disturbs me. You know how like dogs start barking at the woods in horror movies because they sense something.

Farage doesn't have it, not many do. The last person who gave me that same feeling was Nick Griffin.

Sorry Hoops, you're a good lad but this is one step too far for me.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

it's that stroke like - Igor face he has

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Looke posted:

it's that stroke like - Igor face he has
It's likely that was a punishment by God, agreed.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oh on the ban on CLP meeting stuff: It even bans the executive council for that CLP from meeting. So, our local labour party has just managed to swing a deep discount of renting some office space in a new UNITE building, which would be a huge upgrade over the dinky hole which is the current labour party office. But the EC need to pass one more motion to go ahead, and now they can't. So UNITE have to find a new tenant. Great move by the NEC!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/30/theresa-may-delayed-hinkley-point-chinese-beijing-vince-cable

Hinckley point looking doomed because May/one of her advisers doesn't like the chinese investment.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

What can the NEC do to the CLPs if they meet anyway?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

Even if true that's pretty normal for most people doing minimum wage work only we don't get to throw a hissy fit about it. If she can't work around that she's obviously never had a real job.

What?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just found a copy of their school rules someone had uploaded.

hosed up that the school doesn't allow bullying or disrespectful behaviour

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jose posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/30/theresa-may-delayed-hinkley-point-chinese-beijing-vince-cable

Hinckley point looking doomed because May/one of her advisers doesn't like the chinese investment.

Osborne always did have a weirdly massive boner for the Chinese.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

hosed up that the school doesn't allow bullying or disrespectful behaviour

pigfucker wouldn't have lasted very long there then

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm loving stupid lol

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I thought it was funny and surprisingly apt. :D

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Guavanaut posted:

Being as it's convention (although not written anywhere, of course) for the Secretary of State for Scotland and their shadow to be Scottish, the Lord Chancellor/Justice Minister to have a law degree, etc. will it be customary for the Minister for Neurodiversity to be autistic?

:eng101: Believe it or not, the requirements for the Lord Chancellor are in fact written down in the Constitutional Reform Act 2005.

quote:

Part 2
Arrangements to modify the office of Lord Chancellor

Qualifications for office of Lord Chancellor

2Lord Chancellor to be qualified by experience

(1)A person may not be recommended for appointment as Lord Chancellor unless he appears to the Prime Minister to be qualified by experience.

(2)The Prime Minister may take into account any of these—

(a)experience as a Minister of the Crown;

(b)experience as a member of either House of Parliament;

(c)experience as a qualifying practitioner;

(d)experience as a teacher of law in a university;

(e)other experience that the Prime Minister considers relevant.

(3)In this section “qualifying practitioner” means any of these—

(a)a person who has a Senior Courts qualification, within the meaning of section 71 of the Courts and Legal Services Act 1990 (c. 41);

(b)an advocate in Scotland or a solicitor entitled to appear in the Court of Session and the High Court of Justiciary;

(c)a member of the Bar of Northern Ireland or a solicitor of the Court of Judicature of Northern Ireland.

I've bolded my favourite part - let us never forget that this gave us Chris loving Grayling. As an aside, is it just me, or does he look really sinister in this photo. Red eyes would not look out of place:

Edit:

Looke posted:

What can the NEC do to the CLPs if they meet anyway?

I can't quite find the original thing I read, but I think I saw that they would come under centralised control under 'special measures'.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

nothing to seehere posted:

Oh on the ban on CLP meeting stuff: It even bans the executive council for that CLP from meeting. So, our local labour party has just managed to swing a deep discount of renting some office space in a new UNITE building, which would be a huge upgrade over the dinky hole which is the current labour party office. But the EC need to pass one more motion to go ahead, and now they can't. So UNITE have to find a new tenant. Great move by the NEC!
Thought they could request meetings to vote on specific things, if it's exceptional circumstances? Maybe this doesn't count though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Thought they could request meetings to vote on specific things, if it's exceptional circumstances? Maybe this doesn't count though.

They did, and the regional branch office told them to gently caress off. The guy I was talking to about it is a progress member aswell, and he's pissed about it

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

If that's an "elite" school in the UK, it explains a lot of what I've found so puzzling about the UK ruling class. The utter incompetence most of all.

Yes, I know that the Tories are malicious and saying they're incompetent can detract from that. I'm not saying they're incompetent rather than malicious. They're both. Since I've started paying attention to UK politics I've found it incredible how utterly terrible at politics almost every single UK politician is, and definitely every prominent one.

Even the media's attacks on Corbyn, pervasive though they are, are extremely softball compared to what I've seen in European or US media.

Can you describe what you mean by terrible at politics? Who is good at politics, beyond the UK, in your view?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I hope that Corbyn is going to reimburse Jess Phillips with Labour party funds for the locksmith she definitely needed to prevent her kids getting murdered

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/758670826732412929

This was, of course, retweeted by that twat who shouted at Jeremy on the street and said Brexit was his fault, and to stop using LGBT members as a human shield.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 30, 2016

• Locked thread