Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Yeah I'm glad I only caught the last 30k but that last climb was pretty good. Thought Purito had them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Paddyb posted:

Cyclocross should be an olympic event in place of mountain biking which is horrible to watch.

Serious talk, but isn't their a serious push for Cyclocross to become an olympic event soon. Also mountain biking is only poo poo to watch as production teams haven't got a clue how to show it on TV.

Also where the hell is the mountain biking in Rio? Would assume its round a favela given how dangerous a lot of the venues seem.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ukle posted:

Serious talk, but isn't their a serious push for Cyclocross to become an olympic event soon. Also mountain biking is only poo poo to watch as production teams haven't got a clue how to show it on TV.

Also where the hell is the mountain biking in Rio? Would assume its round a favela given how dangerous a lot of the venues seem.

Cross works well on a small(ish) circuit so its very good for cameras and crowds tbf.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Seems like they may be wearing them down for the Winter Olympics. I'd rather see it in the summer, but only because I've had a bad experience viewing mtb in the past. Production is huge, agreed.

Here's a petition:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/cyclocross-olympic-sport-peition

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

ukle posted:

They made a custom track for the London Olympics. Maybe they could do an urban downhill event down city streets?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The olympics are a trash spectacle and cross is better without it IMO

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Carpet posted:

They made a custom track for the London Olympics. Maybe they could do an urban downhill event down city streets?

Whatever they do I just hope they push more locals out of their homes in the process.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
The IOC should just let Redbull handle it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

VacaGrande posted:

Well, chapeau.

Actually it's pronounced chapella (written txapela)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

The olympics are a trash spectacle and cross is better without it IMO

hate agreeing with `African AIDS cum`.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I'm really looking forward to the olympic road race though. I have a feelling it's going to be great.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Admittedly I'm more looking forward to the potential train wreck of the whole thing, but yeah the road race is normally great

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I expect an inordinate amount of flares, or for the race not to happen as the whole Olympics have been shut down due to mass scale rioting (I'm not sure how many days in the race is)

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Gibbo posted:

I expect an inordinate amount of flares, or for the race not to happen as the whole Olympics have been shut down due to mass scale rioting (I'm not sure how many days in the race is)

Usually the road race is early in the Olympics with track stuff in the second week.

e: Day 1: Men's road race
Day 2: Women's road race
Day 5: Men & Women's time trial
Day 6+: Track events, etc

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 1, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I wonder what marginal gains team gb have figured out for riding through sewage

e: here's the course

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 1, 2016

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
I dont envy the Dutch team captain on this one. We have the belgian problem this games, where they could never choose between Gilbert and Van Avermaet. Now it's Poels, Mollema, Kruiswijk and Dumoulin and they can all win this thing. We'll except for Kruiswijk of course because he never wins.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'd think Dumoulin, but it depends if he wants to hold back and go balls out for the time trial.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

goatface posted:

I'd think Dumoulin, but it depends if he wants to hold back and go balls out for the time trial.

And also how he is recovering from the fracture of this radial in the TdF.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
lol a million times

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/armitstead-avoids-rio-ban-after-winning-uk-anti-doping-court-case/

quote:

UKAD cites that Armitstead failed to provide accurate information regarding her whereabouts on three separate occasions, dating back to August 20, 2015. The other two whereabouts failures were committed on, October 5, 2015 and June 9, 2016.

Armitstead and a legal team funded by British Cycling went up against UKAD at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on July 21 and successfully had the first of the three failures removed from her record, due to an error on the doping officer’s part.

I wonder why British Cycling funded her appeal (I don't actually wonder this).

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

UKAD is such a corrupt joke. gonna lol when this all comes crashing down

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

accipter posted:

And also how he is recovering from the fracture of this radial in the TdF.

Most of the bookies seem to be backing Froome for the TT since that happened

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Spain, Italy, Britain, the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Colombia all have strong teams, and since the teams are so small none of them will be able to dominate the race.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Team Sky riders will automatically ride for Froome in accordance with their hypno-indoctrination though.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

African AIDS cum posted:

UKAD is such a corrupt joke. gonna lol when this all comes crashing down

Uh but UKAD are the ones actually trying to get her sanctioned tho

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They weren't set up to do things stupid things like succeed.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Vando posted:

Uh but UKAD are the ones actually trying to get her sanctioned tho

"trying"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
gently caress off Lizzie you riddled druggy.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
It's nice to see more low fish getting thrown under the bus. I know she's world champ, but no where near the money game of the Men's elite.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

She wasn't, though. Not at all. UCI didn't even list her on their pending/provisional suspensions webpage while she was suspended. They were keeping this one quiet.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
If anything it's yet another case of protect the popular successful cyclist for the sake of Cycling's Image.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The reaction from other cyclists and athletes is pretty telling. Incredible it was kept under wraps.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The reaction from other cyclists and athletes is pretty telling. Incredible it was kept under wraps.

What were the reactions? I don't follow a ton of cycling twitters and such to catch those details

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gibbo posted:

What were the reactions? I don't follow a ton of cycling twitters and such to catch those details

Lots of big doubts that a sport with the money and professionalism cycling has in gb camp would not be 100% on top of this after the first missed test.

People saying when they missed one test they panicked and absolutely guaranteed they didn't miss a second let alone a third.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Missing tests is just another brilliant marginal gain, it's almost as effective as taking performance enhancing drugs!

Armitstead isn't a Skybot but her husband is so it holds up.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Nicole Cooke's opinion was very entertaining to read.

http://nicolecooke.com/news/

Also when she retired she complained about the state of doping, no points for guessing which British athlete was quick to contradict Cooke's statements saying the sport was clean.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Has she given reasons for the missed tests?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Has she given reasons for the missed tests?

1st one she was asleep with her phone on silent and the hotel wouldnt let testers call the room apparently
2nd ?
3rd apparently had to rush off for a 'sick relative'

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also her case rested on a procedural error on the first test which she magically didn't care about til she hit 3 missed tests and was about to eat a ban.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Premature ejacula- posted:

Missing tests is just another brilliant marginal gain, it's almost as effective as taking performance enhancing drugs!

Armitstead isn't a Skybot but her husband is so it holds up.

She was on the pursuit squad. She's got the sky juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The USA Pro Challenge is officially dead. Rats. The Tour of California is going WorldTour next year, which, eh. It was fun to watch some of the smaller teams mix it up with the miracles of modern chemistry.