Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The game is already balanced around one shotting most cops, if you lower that breakpoint to give more damage out you're just going to shift that meta and in a month not much will have changed. Even during the BP bug days, it just meant lmgs and lighter rifles were better than normal. The part outside the wall was harder but that's true universally because there is little cover and you are surrounded. Once you were in the wall it was pretty standard and just not that big of a deal. It only felt harder because we weren't initially prepared for it.

Anyway this is backed up by every other time weapon or enemy balance has changed in this game, it feels harder for a short while but then quickly becomes trivial as we figure out the mechanical advantage that helps us most. This game is not difficult and doesn't have enough varied mechanics to truly be hard. This has been true for years.

This will not stop Lucy from quoting this post, using a lot of meaningless tangents and filler words to limp wristedly try to refute this point, and sprinkle in a hefty amount of condescending bullshit because he attaches his self worth to his perceived goodness at payday 2.

When he does my reply will simply be lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

This is all making me want a difficulty between OVK and DW, as well as another one past DW.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

chairface posted:

This is all making me want a difficulty between OVK and DW, as well as another one past DW.

Basically, yeah. I think what I'd most prefer is some kind of slider system for variables. Set multipliers for cop health, damage, etc. Or use a preset. Then play heists according to the difficulty that is best for your group.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Basically, yeah. I think what I'd most prefer is some kind of slider system for variables. Set multipliers for cop health, damage, etc. Or use a preset. Then play heists according to the difficulty that is best for your group.

This seems like a good way to grief people.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
I'm gonna be really pissed if Overkill does end up implementing a new difficulty between Overkill and Death Wish and I have to play every single goddamn heist on it for some dumb achievement and some dumb mask. If I can ignore it entirely that's fine, though

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why? The settings would need to be visible to prospective teammates.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shooting Blanks posted:

It sounds tedious and tacky. I like that the difficulties are what they say they are. Being able to fiddle with settings regarding heist difficulty does not sound like a good way to make the game better or more fun.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Very Hard should be the new Normal. Go up from there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The correct answer is officially supported Wilko-brand mutators, in my opinion

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Psion posted:

The correct answer is officially supported Wilko-brand mutators, in my opinion

I approve of always-on National Guard Response.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

or just play every OVK difficulty heist with national guard response on, same thing

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

or just play every OVK difficulty heist with national guard response on, same thing

The vast number of cops tend to cause most cops to become braindead. It's almost easier to complete the heist at that point. That said, I definitely support a way to adjust spawn rates and quantities.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The vast number of cops tend to cause most cops to become braindead. It's almost easier to complete the heist at that point. That said, I definitely support a way to adjust spawn rates and quantities.

but the real challenge with NGR is not crashing

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I played a pub lobby with this mod on: http://lastbullet.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=16005. We did First World Bank and so many cops would jump out of the vents, among other places. Those cloaker specific vents became very dangerous. We had like 1000+ kills on a regular DW FWB run, it was hilarious. Cop AI wasn't as broken as it is on something like National Guard Response.

Anyway, since we are starved for content and I always like theorycrafting to the point where it has annoyed people in the Goon mumble, I came up with an idea for Frenzy. What if it scaled damage reduction as an inverse of your total armor? Set a minimum value of DR so that the skill isn't totally useless for stuff like ICTV (and with how easy it is to stack you can still pull off sick DR numbers with Infiltrator and Maniac), but at the same time you'll kill off the most egregious bullshit of Anarchist + Frenzy. It would also give a little something to pure dodge builds using Crook and Rogue since they don't have any easy healing options - you already live and die by your armor and dodge RNG, so you can have the option to give up some health for a hefty chunk of damage resistance when RNG doesn't roll your way.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

chairface posted:

Might as well just replace the current difficulties with ovk, ovk+, DW, DW+.

Edit: I suppose one way to slow down the players on a remake of Heat Street is to have your ill-fated getaway driver cause a multicar pileup that you have to climb over.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 30, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The problem with increasing enemy damage even further is that it's just going to make the ICTV completely worthless.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
So what are the huds that people are using now? I haven't played in almost a year and apparently Hoxhud nor Pocohud have been updated in two months.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

watho posted:

The problem with increasing enemy damage even further is that it's just going to make the ICTV completely worthless.

...so?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bipods are the worst thing that has ever happened to me using non-LMG guns in this game

The Ksp's meaty-rear end firing noise is the second-worst thing

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

So what are the huds that people are using now? I haven't played in almost a year and apparently Hoxhud nor Pocohud have been updated in two months.

Depends on what you want. I run the HoloHud info standalone, but if you want poo poo like Poco's in-depth stat tracking or Hox's various ability trackers that's a different story.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

That's not bad, but it lacks the one thing I really want which is tracking body count.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, who cares if an entire type of defensive ability becomes completely worthless?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I don't understand Sentry guns.

It says it uses 30% of my ammo. Fair enough. But when I place a sentry with my DMR AK, it uses 2 out of 63. Then, when I have like 50+ rounds left, it says I don't have enough ammo to use another one.

The gently caress is it counting?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I don't understand Sentry guns.

It says it uses 30% of my ammo. Fair enough. But when I place a sentry with my DMR AK, it uses 2 out of 63. Then, when I have like 50+ rounds left, it says I don't have enough ammo to use another one.

The gently caress is it counting?

It counts the difference between a full magazine and your reserve ammo. The DMR AK has a 60 round mag, with 63 rounds max. Thus, it's using 3 rounds in its calculation. First turret is two bullets, second turret is one bullet. Enjoy your gimmick.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

It counts the difference between a full magazine and your reserve ammo. The DMR AK has a 60 round mag, with 63 rounds max. Thus, it's using 3 rounds in its calculation. First turret is two bullets, second turret is one bullet. Enjoy your gimmick.

Yeah, I just figured that out as you posted it.

DMR AK + China Puff gives me virtually unlimited sentry guns. Sweet.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

IMO, only take one of those two weapons. Probably the DMR AK. You only need a couple of ammo boxes to top off if you don't use it. That leaves you room for a good secondary, like a Loco or Judge.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I've been doing the opposite: use the AK, ignore the China Puff. Maybe I'll just get a sniper rifle instead. With no ammo skills, I'm getting one China Puff grenade per 2-3 ammo boxes, so it sounds basically the same.

Edit: Oh gently caress me, replaced the DMR AK with a Thanatos. Swap to China Puff when placing sentries. This is amazing.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 30, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The China puff is an amazing secondary though :confused:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

This is in fact the trick. Now do it as a Maniac so you're constantly giving your team shitloads of damage reduction every time your turrets shoot something (read: constantly.)

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like a harder difficulty should just be either friendly fire on or 1 down and out (cloaker, taser will still be able to revive). Basically hardcore mode.

For stealth I guess add another guard? Who cares though gently caress stealth.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've finally gotten around playing Payday 2 again since picking it up during the Summer Sale. I haven't joined the SA Steam group yet, but most of the games I've joined have been fine. Strangely, I haven't run into many people using mics, which seems more suitable for this type of game.

One of the most frustrating things I've had with the game so far is the limitations with customizing and improving your gear. Apart from the DLC and Community items, it seems like there's still a lot of weapon mods you can only get via drops/unlocks. I planned on buying some of the DLC when it goes on sale again, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

About 37 people will say "get goonmod" so I'm first, 36 to go :v:

basically the RNG drop system is bad and we all know it. To some extent, daily/weekly/monthly jobs help alleviate this but the fastest solution is goonmod's gage coins.

That said, do be sure to pick up Gage Mod Courier DLC, as that's cheap on sale, gives you a ton of useful weapon mods by itself for collecting packages, and otherwise is valuable to get early.

e: http://paydaymods.com/mods/16/goonmod

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 30, 2016

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Luckily it's less bad now with dailies available at least.

Sometimes I forget how bad the drop system is because I have 20 of everything since I've played so drat much.

e: or do it old school and find someone to card farm with for an hour or two

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

swims posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like a harder difficulty should just be either friendly fire on or 1 down and out (cloaker, taser will still be able to revive). Basically hardcore mode.

For stealth I guess add another guard? Who cares though gently caress stealth.

Stealth's binary pass/fail mechanic is already dickish enough and DW adds more guards and armored cameras as it is, how much more frustrating do you want it? If anything the earlier difficulties need to be more forgiving so there's an actual stealth difficulty ramp instead of [Normal-Overkill murderpalooza]->[oh hey actually have to sneak around now]

tl;dr yeah gently caress stealth

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 30, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

A one-and-out system would also invalidate a lot of currently feasible builds and also make any skill designed to interact with getting downed (inspire, swan song, stockholm syndrome, nine lives, messiah ...) totally pointless.

so, I dunno, I think that sounds pretty bad actually

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think if they wanted to make stealth good it would require a ground-up overhaul of most of the maps. As it is now if you want to do stealth you aren't trying to do loud and if you want to do loud you have zero incentive to try stealth. Part of this is that loud gunplay isn't punishing enough and is in fact the past part of the game, so nobody is really trying to avoid it. Stealth for additional loot or for partial-success gameplay would be the best path to get people to attempt stealth more often but there's just zero reason to give a poo poo. Also remove stealth skills entirely. Stealth skills either force one guy to be 'the stealth guy' or worse, encourage all four players to go all-in on stealth or not even bother.

gently caress stealth.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Psion posted:

About 37 people will say "get goonmod" so I'm first, 36 to go :v:

basically the RNG drop system is bad and we all know it. To some extent, daily/weekly/monthly jobs help alleviate this but the fastest solution is goonmod's gage coins.

That said, do be sure to pick up Gage Mod Courier DLC, as that's cheap on sale, gives you a ton of useful weapon mods by itself for collecting packages, and otherwise is valuable to get early.

e: http://paydaymods.com/mods/16/goonmod

Would the game flag the mod as cheating?

Apart from the mods for weapons, are there any specific weapons that are worth purchasing? I haven't really bought anything too special, mostly just the lower tier stuff.

Mendrian posted:

I think if they wanted to make stealth good it would require a ground-up overhaul of most of the maps. As it is now if you want to do stealth you aren't trying to do loud and if you want to do loud you have zero incentive to try stealth. Part of this is that loud gunplay isn't punishing enough and is in fact the past part of the game, so nobody is really trying to avoid it. Stealth for additional loot or for partial-success gameplay would be the best path to get people to attempt stealth more often but there's just zero reason to give a poo poo. Also remove stealth skills entirely. Stealth skills either force one guy to be 'the stealth guy' or worse, encourage all four players to go all-in on stealth or not even bother.

gently caress stealth.

The other night, I joined a game where they were trying to stealth the Harvest & Trust Bank heist. We managed to pull it off, but we had to restart about a half-a-dozen times. Not only do you have to worry about guards and cameras, but civilians can also hit the alarm. It doesn't help that you can't really do anything in casing mode, and once you've put the mask on, you can't remove it and pass through sections without sticking out.

The only real benefit I see to stealth is that (in some missions) you can avoid doing the 'Escape' sections.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Max Wilco posted:

The only thing that'll get you flagged for cheating is DLC unlockers, but the flag is in no way permanent and carries no real consequences.

If you manage to get yourself banned from the Steam community, that'll have an actual impact, but so long as you don't post about Steam Achievement Manager or cheats or DLC unlockers on the community forum you should be solid.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The starter maps (Jewelry Store, Harvest and Trustee, etc) are actually pretty bad stealth tutorials because several of the mechanics on those are specific to only those maps and nothing else. For example only the banks have you worrying about the silent alarms, and Ukranian Job is hte only one with a metal detector that you can turn off on-site. They also generally have 4 guards and make it really easy to "lock down" the map, whereas most stealth heists you're only killing guards when necessary.

If you wanted a proper introduction to higher level stealth, Shadow Raid and Election Day are good options. Stealth gameplay doesn't dramatically change with difficulty levels simply because there aren't as many gameplay tweaks you could make across difficulties. Most changes amount to "add more guards/civilians/cameras" or requiring a crowbar to open certain boxes.

Also: stealth is entirely possible without any of the stealth skills. The skill rebalance has made all of that poo poo really easy to get anyway, along with useful combat skills if you really wanted to make a hybrid build. You're right in that there's no point in doing partial stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

No, Overkill is pretty chill about most mods that aren't overt cheating mods, and this isn't.