Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tanglewood1420 posted:

I like AMVY quite a bit, but that's possibly just because the use of Inner City Blues was so perfect for the tone and mood of the film. Best use of a pop song in a film score in a long time.

That is a fantastic opening, and there's a lot of really intense and touching scenes beside. I just didn't feel the entirety I guess?

E: Maybe I should give it another shot.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I like AMVY quite a bit, but that's possibly just because the use of Inner City Blues was so perfect for the tone and mood of the film. Best use of a pop song in a film score in a long time.

I love it too, but I kind of get the complaints. It's like a Godfather Part II fanfiction/fan-film, but in the best way.

J.C. Chandor isn't one of my favourite new-ish directors, but he's one of the more interesting ones.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I really liked that his hands are pretty much clean the whole way through, from his perspective. There might be an unspoken nudge somewhere around the union thing, but mostly he's clean as a whistle. (A Most Violent Year spoilers)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGY44DIQb-A

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Parachute posted:

He's played a Colombian (Colombiana) and was the middle-eastern guy being interrogated in Three Kings off the top of my head.

He's definitely an ethnic chameleon and it owns - poo poo he played an American FBI boss in Live Free or Die Hard.

Erick Avari's another one. Egyptian, Turkish, Greek, etc

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tars Tarkas posted:

Remember when Zhang Yimou made good movies? Now he makes movies about Matt Damon saving China from monsters at the Great Wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SKI9rgqFck

This is being released in February in the USA; it's going to bomb hugely.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Corek posted:

This is being released in February in the USA; it's going to bomb hugely.

I guess the official strategy is "Make half a billion in China and who cares if the US likes it, but perhaps dump it in that month where Deadpool made crazy bank because who even knows what audiences want now :shrug:"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Maybe if you have 2 billion usd worth of yuan that you can't bring out of the country, it's acceptable to have like 100 million usd that are now outside the country. It's still a bunch

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Chinese box office is even more screwed up than the US box office as they'll print tickets for the movie you want to see but it will have another movie's name on it, they'll show movies to empty screens that the system says are sold out shows, and all sorts of other weird stuff. Some of that has been reformed but a lot of it still goes on. Also this might not even be the most expensive Chinese movie by the time it hits US theaters, that benchmark gets surpassed all the time thanks to people buying their way into the movie industry and February is when all the New Years stuff comes out and something from that group will be a huge film.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The MSJ posted:

It appears that Skiptrace, the Renny Harlin movie starring Jackie Chan and Johnny Knoxville, is quite a success in China. It grossed $58.5 million in China this past weekend, making it Chan's most successful opening in the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkkOCtOrAcA

I won tickets for this movie yesterday, and it has a strange quality arc.

The beginning parts of establishing Jackie Chan's and Johnny Knoxville's characters were hastily done, where almost every person involved were fairly obviously phoning in despite Chan destroying and blowing up a village in the process. Knoxville's characters' Russian nemeses (who are great) fight Chan and somehow, they manage to drop some weird 90s action style of "humour":

Chan: I don't fight girls!
Huge Muscular Russian Enforcer Girl: Then fight me... not as a girl!

Also she gets herself stuck in between two steel beams because of her huge breasts. At least the matroska doll gag is good?

SUDDENLY when they get out of Russia in a (really beautiful) train, things become weird. The whole movie is suddenly well-directed, with some fun humour (the Adele joke is somehow longer but better in the actual film), great scenery, wonderful small/side characters, chemistry between the leads, obvious unscripted gags, etc.

The thing is, it's turned into a promotional documentary film advertising the southern parts of China. Those bits are REALLY beautiful and makes me want to visit them except I know it's probably teeming full of mainland china tourists there?

Oh then after a really awkward maybe homophobic bit they get cold in a cave, remove all their clothes and hugged each other for warmth no homo they return to Hong Kong and it's back to Chan kicking thugs and hopping around, with Knoxville dropping a Kramer v Kramer joke at one point. Then when you watch the bloopers you can feel Chan's age creeping on him which is v :smith:

Also they hack a smartphone and the computer screen gets filled with 11111111101010101010, until Chan recognises the pattern creates some arbitrary logo linking it to a shipyard. it's great

The music is outstanding in how loving poo poo it is because everything sounds like they are in an all American rodeo

overall i don't recommend it other than the middle travel documentary

oh an fan bingbing is super beautiful and i like her

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Chinese box office is even more screwed up than the US box office as they'll print tickets for the movie you want to see but it will have another movie's name on it, they'll show movies to empty screens that the system says are sold out shows, and all sorts of other weird stuff. Some of that has been reformed but a lot of it still goes on. Also this might not even be the most expensive Chinese movie by the time it hits US theaters, that benchmark gets surpassed all the time thanks to people buying their way into the movie industry and February is when all the New Years stuff comes out and something from that group will be a huge film.

I don't understand why they would do this? Just to shift money around?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

Potemkin village movie theater

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hollismason posted:

The entire Chinese economy is a shell game at the western world's expense, essentially.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mr. stefan posted:

The entire Chinese economy is a shell game at the western world's expense, essentially.

One of the reasons Vancouver is so expensive to live in is there's a bunch of empty high-end apartment buildings owned by Chinese investors who don't really care about making a profit or anything, they just want their money invested in physical assets.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Sounds pretty easy to recommend to me.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hollismason posted:

China is fundamentally corrupt and rotten to the core.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Stop the thread!

https://twitter.com/JerrySeinfeld/status/759236173265039361

' What about Bee Movie 2 '

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's gold Jerry!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The beginning parts of establishing Jackie Chan's and Johnny Knoxville's characters were hastily done, where almost every person involved were fairly obviously phoning in despite Chan destroying and blowing up a village in the process. Knoxville's characters' Russian nemeses (who are great) fight Chan and somehow, they manage to drop some weird 90s action style of "humour":

Chan: I don't fight girls!
Huge Muscular Russian Enforcer Girl: Then fight me... not as a girl!

Also she gets herself stuck in between two steel beams because of her huge breasts. At least the matroska doll gag is good?

SUDDENLY when they get out of Russia in a (really beautiful) train, things become weird. The whole movie is suddenly well-directed, with some fun humour (the Adele joke is somehow longer but better in the actual film), great scenery, wonderful small/side characters, chemistry between the leads, obvious unscripted gags, etc.

The thing is, it's turned into a promotional documentary film advertising the southern parts of China. Those bits are REALLY beautiful and makes me want to visit them except I know it's probably teeming full of mainland china tourists there?

Oh then after a really awkward maybe homophobic bit they get cold in a cave, remove all their clothes and hugged each other for warmth no homo they return to Hong Kong and it's back to Chan kicking thugs and hopping around, with Knoxville dropping a Kramer v Kramer joke at one point. Then when you watch the bloopers you can feel Chan's age creeping on him which is v :smith:

Also they hack a smartphone and the computer screen gets filled with 11111111101010101010, until Chan recognises the pattern creates some arbitrary logo linking it to a shipyard. it's great

The music is outstanding in how loving poo poo it is because everything sounds like they are in an all American rodeo

oh an fan bingbing is super beautiful and i like her

A friend and I were talking about this movie and musing about who's more physically broken down between the two leads.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Potemkin village movie theater

And the fun is that the Chinese media market is so heavily controlled that they only allow a certain number of foreign productions to be shown there every year. Which is why you see so much China pandering in recent movies; it's not for the actual Chinese audiences, it's for the sake of the government officials who say whether or not a studio can release a film in China. The Chinese coproductions are an attempt to get around this, though it seems like it's not always successful at that.

There's this weird top down push by the Chinese government that they must be economically and technologically the best, or at least equal of any western nation. So they've got to have the biggest movie ever even if it means playing to empty theaters with quotas on movie ticket sales. But as the Chinese economy has obviously been hitting a depression while the Chinese government loudly announces how much the economy has grown and is still growing and shut the gently caress up about how everything makes it clear that it isn't or we will kidnap you from another country and convict you of committing a hit and run in a city you've never been to (really, the most compelling argument that the Chinese economy is fine), that decline has been making people stop taking these proud announcements at face value and finding not a lot underneath.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

There's this weird top down push by the Chinese government that they must be economically and technologically the best, or at least equal of any western nation.
It's not that weird really when you look at the last like 150 years of history. They got hosed real hard by the imperial powers through both lovely treaties and shadier poo poo like opium, then they got hosed over by the Japanese while in the middle of loving themselves over, with one side of them explicitly kissing America's rear end (and then losing), and then they were one of the pitiful backward fuckups of the world for the latter half of the 20th century. The Chinese state(s, although one far more than the other) still has a pretty powerful inferiority complex as a result.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Hollismason posted:

No why

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I'm not certain, but just a guess:

They have fairly strict quotas about the number of theaters and number of showings of western movies in order to protect the domestic movie industry, but nobody actually gives a poo poo about Chinese movies. Western movies are the ones that people actually want to see. So the accounting records all say people are turning out to see whichever Chinese movie, while the actual movie shown is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or whatever. Nobody in China cares about the deception, because everybody benefits from it. Hollywood probably cares quite a bit, but what are they going to do, not release their movies in China?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Also bear in mind that the Chinese cinema industry is vertically integrated in a way that is illegal in the US. That's why it was such a big deal when Legendary got bought by the Wanda group, because they are both a distributor and the owner of the largest cinema chain in China. One reason why Warcraft did gangbusters in China (supposedly? who knows really) is because it was mainlined direct onto 3,000 screens without any competition.

TetsuoTW posted:

It's not that weird really when you look at the last like 150 years of history. They got hosed real hard by the imperial powers through both lovely treaties and shadier poo poo like opium, then they got hosed over by the Japanese while in the middle of loving themselves over, with one side of them explicitly kissing America's rear end (and then losing), and then they were one of the pitiful backward fuckups of the world for the latter half of the 20th century. The Chinese state(s, although one far more than the other) still has a pretty powerful inferiority complex as a result.

From China's perspective they have always been and will always rightfully be the wealthiest, most cultured and most advanced nation on the planet, the 19th and 20th centuries were just a blip.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 30, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Chinese civilization is amazing and cool but it's a shame that the people in charge of it have done such a poo poo job for so long now. I feel like the USA had an unfair advantage because we didn't exist until 240 years ago and had nowhere to go but up (and we waited until 1877 to actually try improving anyting).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

Chinese civilization is amazing and cool but it's a shame that the people in charge of it have done such a poo poo job for so long now. I feel like the USA had an unfair advantage because we didn't exist until 240 years ago and had nowhere to go but up (and we waited until 1877 to actually try improving anyting).

Just like Orc, from a worm into a might serpent. William Blake's prophecy made flesh.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
China didn't have the opportunity to salvage all that sweet sweet german tech that was left behind at the end of WW2 after Russia defeated the nazis

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeasssssssss

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Am I to understand that Bee Movie was good in some way? Because that is not the impression I had when it came out.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Bee movie is the best movie.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gilok posted:

Am I to understand that Bee Movie was good in some way? Because that is not the impression I had when it came out.

It was strangely tone deaf and I got the feeling it was more or less Seinfelds stream of consciousness dictated to a room of writers for a day. That sounds not so bad but then they made it a CG kids movie:psyduck:

So if he wants to make another one I can't wait to see what he'll be ranting to those writers about this time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bring back old gbs posted:

It was strangely tone deaf and I got the feeling it was more or less Seinfelds stream of consciousness dictated to a room of writers for a day. That sounds not so bad but then they made it a CG kids movie:psyduck:

So if he wants to make another one I can't wait to see what he'll be ranting to those writers about this time.

Was the Bee Movie thread goldmined? because that was an amazing thread.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

bring back old gbs posted:

Bee Movie 2: Comedians in Cars Getting Honey

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Movie had a strong bee plot but a very weak b plot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Antz is better.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bee movie is an amazing show where these happen:

A worker bee seduces a human woman in an existing healthy relationship. The bee succeeds.

Courtroom drama where the lawyer representing the humans is a straw man who cosplays as a baby

A bee nearly dies so they send him to hospital

A swarm of bees lift a plane

A sniper takes out people eating honey under court order

The only person making any sense is the ex lover of the human girl but nobody listens to him

True progressive representation of transgender bees : the worker bees, traditionally female, identify and act as male and nobody cares about their trans status

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bee movie is an amazing show where these happen:

A worker bee seduces a human woman in an existing healthy relationship. The bee succeeds.

Courtroom drama where the lawyer representing the humans is a straw man who cosplays as a baby

A bee nearly dies so they send him to hospital

A swarm of bees lift a plane

A sniper takes out people eating honey under court order

The only person making any sense is the ex lover of the human girl but nobody listens to him

True progressive representation of transgender bees : the worker bees, traditionally female, identify and act as male and nobody cares about their trans status

Seriously, some one with archives needs to dump the Bee Movie thread into a pdf or something, it was amazing.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Bee Movie Thread (archives) link - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538818

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is even more amazing than I remembered. Jesus Christ is it a weird movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Don't tell Pick about that twit

• Locked thread