Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Root Bear posted:

I got to set the wheel alignment on a recently restored one last fall. After hearing what it was potentially worth, I didn't mind so much that I wasn't allowed to test drive it afterwards:

:stwoon:

Jesus, an uglier one sold on BJ for $2.1 million. I can't imagine how nervous I would be even taking a wrench to one of those beauties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
When I looked through my pictures, I realised these were taken ten years ago, jfc where did all that life go? Anywho, here are (the only two) pictures I took of this car when Midnattsolsrallyt (a historical rally) was arranged around here.

Yes, that's a 1958 300SL Roadster, driven IIRC by a man aged 65+ with his wife as co-driver. That's a goddamn million dollar car, being used as a rally car (so I can't really fault the guy for being a bit slow as evidenced by this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRB-zqlzLg0

Some of the other guys step on it a bit more, some really nice cars and sounds in that vid.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I saw one of these while driving once, and all I could think of was "you had the chance to get gullwing doors and you bailed on it?"

Are there any gullwing door cars that aren't horrendously expensive or absolute garbage?

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
My dad got his freshly painted 1937 Jaguar SS 100 back from the shop a few days ago:

He's had it for 49 years, in primer. Longer than I've been alive. It was about time. I guess that's not actually awesome, but here we are.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 31, 2016

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

AnnoyBot posted:

My dad got his freshly painted 1937 Jaguar SS 100 back from the shop a few days ago:

He's had it for 49 years, in primer. Longer than I've been alive. It was about time. I guess that's not actually awesome, but here we are.

No that is definitely awesome. That is a pretty fuckin car :h:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

El Scotch posted:

So I ended up behind this recently:

That inboard brake

:stare:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's like he went searching for the least surface possible.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I saw one of these while driving once, and all I could think of was "you had the chance to get gullwing doors and you bailed on it?"

Are there any gullwing door cars that aren't horrendously expensive or absolute garbage?

Of course gullwing, because gullwing, but honestly, personally, I prefer the roadster's looks. It's just a prettier car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Root Bear posted:

I got to set the wheel alignment on a recently restored one last fall. After hearing what it was potentially worth, I didn't mind so much that I wasn't allowed to test drive it afterwards:

:stwoon:

Some crappy photos from the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart. Dad and I spent a ton of time looking at the frame and taking pictures of various things on it. I'm not a huge Merc guy but their museum was amazing and a must see if you're in the area.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

uhhhhhhhhhhhh :circlefap:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

HandlingByJebus posted:

That inboard brake

:stare:

Pinion brakes are pretty common on trail/mudding rigs like that. Monster trucks use a setup like that as well, some of them are actually multi disc wet setups inside of the diff casings. I think most of them are just like the picture above, but mounted between the driveshaft and pinion out of sight instead of on the back side of the diff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That thing needs portal axles for maximum :black101:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Some crappy photos from the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart. Dad and I spent a ton of time looking at the frame and taking pictures of various things on it. I'm not a huge Merc guy but their museum was amazing and a must see if you're in the area.

That's something I found different with museums in Canada/US vs Germany. If that was in North America those cars would be, at the very least, behind ropes. If not lovely people would be touching "trying to get a better look" and parents would see it as permission to let their kids run roughshod and touch/get into everything. Germany there was respect to not touch.

Between the Porsche and Mercedes museums, I think Stuttgart would be a great place to kill a few days.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FuzzKill posted:

Pinion brakes are pretty common on trail/mudding rigs like that. Monster trucks use a setup like that as well, some of them are actually multi disc wet setups inside of the diff casings. I think most of them are just like the picture above, but mounted between the driveshaft and pinion out of sight instead of on the back side of the diff.

The one pictured is a Rockwell axle. I think they are common because it's a very cheap axle for the strength. Along with better clearance and driveline angles.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wish I could have gotten a good side-profile shot of the off-road whatever it was, but we passed it quickly and I forgot to turn HDR off on my camera so all I caught was the front wheel. :smith:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

slidebite posted:

That's something I found different with museums in Canada/US vs Germany. If that was in North America those cars would be, at the very least, behind ropes. If not lovely people would be touching "trying to get a better look" and parents would see it as permission to let their kids run roughshod and touch/get into everything.

If the parent is at all responsible, the rope/cordon will remind them they need to haul back on little Braylynn before it runs amok - if they are shithead parents, they will gladly pass the buck/yell angrily at the kid rather than take responsibility once you call them out on it.

Source: too many years of working security at a large museum :tipshat:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

slidebite posted:

That's something I found different with museums in Canada/US vs Germany. If that was in North America those cars would be, at the very least, behind ropes. If not lovely people would be touching "trying to get a better look" and parents would see it as permission to let their kids run roughshod and touch/get into everything. Germany there was respect to not touch.

Between the Porsche and Mercedes museums, I think Stuttgart would be a great place to kill a few days.

There were a bunch of europeans getting their grubby hands all over the cars at the BMW museum. It was shocking to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzKill posted:

Fun thing is to watch the tough truck challenges where sometimes they end up putting a shitload of heat through that brake and lighting it up like a racecar.

Don't you also get some advantage by braking before the axle gear reduction?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

nm posted:

There were a bunch of europeans getting their grubby hands all over the cars at the BMW museum. It was shocking to me.

Same with the porche museum. Sitting and leaning on cars for pictures. Opening doors and getting in. The staff was just frazzled.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fun thing is to watch the tough truck challenges where sometimes they end up putting a shitload of heat through that brake and lighting it up like a racecar.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Maybe it's a side effect of having a rich corporate daddy, because not all of them are like that. Like in the Speyer and Sinsheim museums you can get onto a train or u-boot, but most cars are behind ropes:

Possibly because of this:

bird cooch posted:

Same with the porche museum. Sitting and leaning on cars for pictures. Opening doors and getting in. The staff was just frazzled.
Though I haven't noticed much of that going on in MB or BMW museums. Haven't been to the Porsche one yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Digging the Miura piddling oil all over the place.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Volvo-truck and Volvo-crane. I'm convinced in the winter time he also has Volvo-plow.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Porsche Museum was awesome. As long as you made it clear you were being careful via body language you could get super-close and take some neat pictures.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

Digging the Miura piddling oil all over the place.
It just gets nervous around crowds.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wrar posted:

The Porsche Museum was awesome. As long as you made it clear you were being careful via body language you could get super-close and take some neat pictures.

How close you ask? Here's pics from the various museums, all photos taken with a poo poo cell phone
Mercedes - https://goo.gl/photos/87XwPaz6LZGLobVi7
Porsche - https://goo.gl/photos/ApY47S1ezS6pia1v8
BMW - https://goo.gl/photos/wnvqp3zZuUVZSV788
VW - https://goo.gl/photos/eurXFSY3qh893gTR9

Another place that everyone should visit is the Classic Remise in Berlin. Old train station converted to private car storage with several shops having space as well.
Pics - https://goo.gl/photos/NKK3i3ba6bFsujKg8

donut
Feb 4, 2001

slidebite posted:

AI goons visiting or living in Los Angeles should absolutely check out the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo. Very few, if any, cars behind ropes, they'll let you sit in anything that's not on loan, and every Sunday they take 3-4 cars out for drives and let you ride in them. The collection is mostly American and pre-70s, though there are some interesting oddballs like a Studebaker Avanti, an AMC Pacer, and a few British sports cars.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

If the parent is at all responsible, the rope/cordon will remind them they need to haul back on little Braylynn before it runs amok - if they are shithead parents, they will gladly pass the buck/yell angrily at the kid rather than take responsibility once you call them out on it.

Source: too many years of working security at a large museum :tipshat:

There's a car museum in Shreveport with, among other similarly rare things, an Auburn Speedster on a turntable, with a ding in the original paint of one fender from some dumbass (who blamed it on his kid) running up past the rope and touching it, causing it to spin around and hit something, let's say the Deusenberg SJ, doing $100k worth of damage to the Auburn and whatever he spun it into, just from paint flaking off the dents in the flared fenders of a couple of million-dollar cars.

The above was told to me by the docent after I asked her if I could get a closer look and promised not to touch, and she let me behind the rope and opened the door for me so I could see inside the Auburn. I was not allowed to put my plebian rear end upon the seat, but I did lean in the door and get a good look at the dashboard.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 2, 2016

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

Was Megatron there??

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

supermegaultra posted:

Was Megatron there??

Yes that would be the M12/13 I4 engine with the gently caress off sized turbo

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

it really loving bothers me that they put the compressor on in the wrong orientation

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In this morning's edition of "what's in the parking garage?" :

:goleft:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wrar posted:

Google Earth has a view of the Museum. A little clunky, but short of being there it's pretty cool.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.8342085,9.1524921,3a,75y,336.54h,60.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1se5nPiAXo2mlRAstYC2tH1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

1966 ROTARY Beetle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO2dpG96-2g

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw that yesterday.. my favorite part is when they open the engine lid. It's all engine. :stare:

Too bad the owner has the charm of a rusty hammer, didn't give Leno much to work with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah that interview was pretty ugly but to be fair to the guy Leno seemed a little out of his element too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

What I find most amazing about these is that in a cost-no-object shoot-for-the-moon environment with all the carbon fiber this and exotic alloy that, it still has a distributor. Kind of like yamaha running carbs on their early motogp bikes but with even less explanation.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 3, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Probably a known technology vs. new system with uncertain reliability thing.

EFI or electronic ignition are great if they work perfectly, but if it craps out on the track and it takes you three times as long to fix because there are only a few mechanics experienced with the system, welp

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is awesome car poo poo exactly, but I saw a dude's 500cc Sears lawn tractor. Motor came out of a Honda bike. Youtube flipped my video though :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhFS9zor6M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Awesome and they looked exactly as they should