Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Alright Star Wars players, I picked up 2x Core sets, 2x Edge of Darkness, and 1x Balance of the Force on the cheap recently. Getting my head around deck building a bit, and question: There doesn't appear to be any restrictions on quantity of objective sets from a given faction you use, relative to your selected faction card, yeah? I.E. someone could have a deck with a bunch of Imperial sets and only 1 Sith set, but could select Sith as their Faction card for the purpose of always having a Sith resource. Is that correct and does it make sense to do? Any core concept I might be missing there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That's okay to do but it makes it difficult to play, say, two sith cards in a turn if that's a thing you need to do. You'll also miss out on faction-only objectives for your "main" faction.

It's been a long time since I've played any SWLCG, so I can't tell you if it makes strategic sense in the meta.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Merauder posted:

Alright Star Wars players, I picked up 2x Core sets, 2x Edge of Darkness, and 1x Balance of the Force on the cheap recently. Getting my head around deck building a bit, and question: There doesn't appear to be any restrictions on quantity of objective sets from a given faction you use, relative to your selected faction card, yeah? I.E. someone could have a deck with a bunch of Imperial sets and only 1 Sith set, but could select Sith as their Faction card for the purpose of always having a Sith resource. Is that correct and does it make sense to do? Any core concept I might be missing there?

Yes. Its perfectly OK to do this and honestly is the worst aspect of the game. 4/6 is the typical split so a "Sith faction" deck would be 4 Sith objectives and 6 Navy ones. Its very counter intuitive to the idea of a core faction that you would run more of another factions objective but it is what it is.

2/8 is not unheard of. With just the boxes you have you can make a pretty strong "Navy" deck with Tarkin/Vader/Palp/Council of the Sith/Ghosts.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/19/gather-strength/

Flame of the West spoilers. The theme seems to be defense.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

tokenbrownguy posted:

Still trying to offload my full GoT set, lemme know if you're looking to bust in on the game on the cheap.

I would buy all your non-core offerings.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

So, Elrond + Nor am I a Stranger + Golden Shield + Herugrim :v:

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
+ Dúnedain Signal?

Or core Éowyn (with Unexpected Courage).

Elfhelm singing a Song of Travel riding an Armored Destrier!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anyone interested in purchasing an AGOT 2.0 Lot?

2 core set
taking the black
road to winterfell
the king's peace
no middle ground
calm over westeros
wolves of the north

No time to keep up with it anymore. Hoping for $125 shipped, comes in a longbox, no original packaging.

Also have a mostly current Conquest set with 3 cores if anyone wants.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Quick LotR question: East Gate says it is "immune to card effects" rather than player card effects. What happens when Cave In pops up off the encounter deck in the quest phase ("Remove all progress tokens from the current quest card and active location"). I looked at errata & the description, but didn't really see a clear answer. They emphasize "ignores [any] effect... that would directly interact with it," which felt applicable.

However, if it is unable to remove progress from East Gate, then I assume it surges if there is no progress on the active quest card to be removed?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Also holy poo poo did I just get steamrolled by seventh level. By turn two, thanks to bad surges and shadow effects I had two discarded allies, 4 orcs engaged with me and another four in staging, plus a dead hero. I think I'm throwing in the towel.

Edit: yeah, the second game is already 100x easier than the first one

Hauki fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 22, 2016

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Hauki posted:

Quick LotR question: East Gate says it is "immune to card effects" rather than player card effects. What happens when Cave In pops up off the encounter deck in the quest phase ("Remove all progress tokens from the current quest card and active location"). I looked at errata & the description, but didn't really see a clear answer. They emphasize "ignores [any] effect... that would directly interact with it," which felt applicable.

However, if it is unable to remove progress from East Gate, then I assume it surges if there is no progress on the active quest card to be removed?

"Immune to Card Effects
The location East-gate has the text, “Immune to card effects.” This means that East-gate cannot be selected as the target of any card effect, and it ignores the effect of any card that would directlyinteract with it. The only way to place progress tokens on it is by questing, and once East-gate is the active location it remains the active location until it is fully explored (even cards like Dreadful Gap or Strider’s Path would not be able to move it to the staging area)."

That part would presumably mean Cave In wouldn't remove any progress. And yeah, Cave In's wording means the card checks the game state to see if progress was removed. If you didn't remove any for any reason (card immunity, no progress to remove) it surges.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I tried Into The Pit two-handed with all-dwarf decks and just got brutalized by treacheries. So I swapped out a single dwarf hero for Eleanor, exchanged some dud events for Northern Trackers, and beat it on the next try. That felt a little cheap, but I guess that kind of strategy is one of the defining characteristics of CCGs. Fun, thematic scenario, though.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Deviant posted:

Anyone interested in purchasing an AGOT 2.0 Lot?

I have 3x cores already, if you wanna split

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

djfooboo posted:

I have 3x cores already, if you wanna split

Sold it locally today, sorry. Thanks.

I do have a sizable Conquest lot if anyone wants that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How does one usually handle kneel-heavy Baratheon decks? Robert, Stannis, and Mellisandre all have nasty abilities that majorly impact the board.

Stark has ability to stand their own guys (usually involving a sacrifice), but what about everyone else? Do you just hope to get that targeted kill (like Ice) and/or milk of the poppy out?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ConfusedUs posted:

Stark has ability to stand their own guys (usually involving a sacrifice), but what about everyone else? Do you just hope to get that targeted kill (like Ice) and/or milk of the poppy out?

Yeah, pretty much you nailed it. Have to try to stop their powers from triggering, or counter with stand effects like Stark stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Merauder posted:

Yeah, pretty much you nailed it. Have to try to stop their powers from triggering, or counter with stand effects like Stark stuff.

Huh. I guess I need to be sure to put a few more of this kind of thing into each deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ConfusedUs posted:

How does one usually handle kneel-heavy Baratheon decks? Robert, Stannis, and Mellisandre all have nasty abilities that majorly impact the board.

Milk is good but only a temporary solution as most Bara decks will run confiscation and/or Maester Cressen.

The main thing about Bara is that they need Mel on the board and her ability will help kneel anyone you play, so kill Mel if you can. Stannis is a pain but without Big Bob around Bara doesn't have a ton of good people to oppose yours so you don't really need to worry about him.

My advice is always run Tears and Put to the Sword. Aside from that it depends on your faction for how best to help deal with them.

What faction are you playing?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ConfusedUs posted:

Here are my strategies.

Universal: Milk, Put to the Sword, Tears of Lys. First Snow into Marched usually helps since Baratheon's big cost dudes are all usually pretty good and they usually only supplement it with weenie chaff. Confiscate the poo poo out of Lightbringer, especially if they throw it on a weenie with the intent of letting it die so they can Lightbringer again.

Targaryen: Dracarys/Crown of Gold Melisandre.
Stark: Robb and Jon Snow. A surprise Winter is Coming may also get one of the big guys.
Greyjoy: Purely a race. Stealth gets through Robert and Stannis. Seastone Chair helps to snipe.
Tyrell: ????
Lannister: Treachery Melisandre. Bounce Stannis with Things I Do For Love. The Hound is functionally immune to Stannis's stasis bullshit too.
Martell: Ghaston Grey vs. Stannis and Rob, Vengeance for Elia is fun.
NIght's Watch: ????

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It was mostly a general question from a fairly new player.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

It was mostly a general question from a fairly new player.
Bara's a bit fragile because Mel is the linch pin but it's fun power rushing because not many decks can do that and Bara does it so well.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GrandpaPants posted:

Here are my strategies.

Universal: Milk, Put to the Sword, Tears of Lys. First Snow into Marched usually helps since Baratheon's big cost dudes are all usually pretty good and they usually only supplement it with weenie chaff. Confiscate the poo poo out of Lightbringer, especially if they throw it on a weenie with the intent of letting it die so they can Lightbringer again.

Targaryen: Dracarys/Crown of Gold Melisandre.
Stark: Robb and Jon Snow. A surprise Winter is Coming may also get one of the big guys.
Greyjoy: Purely a race. Stealth gets through Robert and Stannis. Seastone Chair helps to snipe.
Tyrell: ????
Lannister: Treachery Melisandre. Bounce Stannis with Things I Do For Love. The Hound is functionally immune to Stannis's stasis bullshit too.
Martell: Ghaston Grey vs. Stannis and Rob, Vengeance for Elia is fun.
NIght's Watch: ????

Thanks for this!

In testing various decks, it seemed like Baratheon was pretty easy to play. And it seemed like they were a faction where there wasn't a lot of variance. You get your big guys out, you kneel everyone, and you kind of push from there.

I've been using them kind of as a baseline when testing other decks. Greyjoy, especially, seemed to have a hard time against them until I added some extra targeted kill like Seastone Chair.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey sorry to double post but I got a couple questions. I think I know the answers, but want to confirm.

1) If Robert Baratheon is attacking, and I kneel dudes to oppose him, does that just make him stronger? I assume yes.

2) Can I use multiple strength enhancing effects on the same character? Like using those Greyjoy longships that give +1 or 2, both on the same guy? Again, I assume yes.

3) Can I play multiple events in the same action window? I assume yes again, and I also assume I'd play one, but the other guy would get an opportunity to play his own before I could play the second one.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yes to all 3.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Carteret posted:

Yes to all 3.

Assuming the card effect doesn't say otherwise of course.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/27/defend-against-the-siege-of-annuminas/

Fellowship event kits announced for LOTR. I have no idea if my local stores even run this, but I want that playmat and that scenario looks really fun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

alansmithee posted:

Assuming the card effect doesn't say otherwise of course.

Of course! It's the golden rule.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/27/defend-against-the-siege-of-annuminas/

Fellowship event kits announced for LOTR. I have no idea if my local stores even run this, but I want that playmat and that scenario looks really fun.

It's kind of wierd that the kit only supports 3 players. I'm psyched that there's close to 16+ people at my local shop that expressed Interest in doing it already.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
It looks like each event deck supports up to 4 players, so its 12 for each kit

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chairman Pow! posted:

It looks like each event deck supports up to 4 players, so its 12 for each kit

So the fourth player just doesn't get a playmat, promo or copy of the adventure pack?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, that makes no drat sense in any possible universe.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I wonder if it's just to get stores to order more kits? Last year my shop ordered 4 and sold out. This year it's going to be probably 6+ to meet demand.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Any interest in my conquest lot before I sell it at Gencon?

Includes all tokens, instruction manuals, cards, and box contents for the following
40K Conquest sets:

3 core sets

Warlord Cycle:
The Howl of Blackmane
The Scourge
Gift of the Ethereals
Zogwort's Curse
The Threat Beyond
Descendants of Isha

The Great Devourer Deluxe Expansion

First 5 Packs of Planetfall Cycle
Decree of Ruin
Boundless Hate
Deadly Salvage
What Lurks Below
Wrath of the Crusaders

Some bits punched, some unpunched.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Played Temple of the Deceived last night, really cool quest. I think the Dreamchaser cycle might be my favourite right now for pushing new mechanics.

Any thoughts on whether Asfaloth/The Evening Star/etc work on this quest? They place progress on "any" location, so can you do that on a location you're not adjacent to?

The location you're at is considered the active location, adjacent ones are "considered to be in the staging area" but everything else? They're not legally out of play, so are they valid targets? We played yes.

Also Entangling Nets make Poisoned Stakes a super niche pick. It's a goddamn spectacular card.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If they're in play and not immune to player card effects they're fair game.

Northern Tracker specifies the staging area but Any is any.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can other characters join in Knight of Minas Tirith's attack?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So do you think FFG is going to kill the Star Wars LCG now with Destiny being their new darling? I can't really see them designing/supporting both, even if the new game looks like poo poo.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

So do you think FFG is going to kill the Star Wars LCG now with Destiny being their new darling? I can't really see them designing/supporting both, even if the new game looks like poo poo.

I would doubt it since this is a collectible card/dice game. This looks like it's trying to compete with Dice Masters so I don't think the communities overlap that much. I don't see a lot of LCG players dropping Star Wars the card game to go play Destiny.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Baron Porkface posted:

Can other characters join in Knight of Minas Tirith's attack?

KoMT states that you engage, declare the attack and resolve the attack. The full sequence must be completed before returning to normal action.

There's no gap in which you can commit other characters to the attack. KoMT is on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Game looks like hot garbage.