Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like the mockups that don't have a D-Pad. You can really tell the person who made them is an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

So, if the controllers are detatchable, imagine how much it'd suck to have a controller with a stick, a DPad, and nothing else.

Hell, even it it's a two handed Wiimote Nunchuck approach, the DPad Stick controller sucks.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think some of those are sorta neat. I definitely think they'll have a button layout that resembles the "There's No Play Like It" logo thing they've been using recently though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Here's my theory: The buttons are all on the tablet, and the two controllers are snapped to the back.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The screen is on the front and back.. That is the new gimmick used in some games. Controller on the bottom, same on both sides, pulls apart in two.

I call it "worst idea"

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Neogaf mockups always suck. Back in the day when Project Cafe was all we knew the Wii U by, neogaf mockups had the gamepad as like an iphone thin screen that had its controls fold out from within.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I mean, the first couple have the New 3DS eye tracking camera :confused:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Here's another one I whipped up for you guys:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i envision the screen being pretty small on the handset. they don't need to make it tablet sized when you can have it on the tv if you want.

the 2 controller arms will look like a standard console controller with full, hand-sized ergonomic grips. they will double as the console mode controller when attached together.

nintendo will sell a more portable set of controller halves as an extra for those who want to pocket the system that will make it look like a ds with no top screen.

the screen on the handset will have a clamshell like cover that doubles back as a stand.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh gently caress.

The U-shaped controller makes a certain amount of sense now...

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Since nintendo loves shoving its handhelds into items in games (see: game boy horror, tingle tuner) I looked up what the shiekah slate looked like in the breath of the wild demo

Well, that would certainly be something if it looked even halfway like that.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

that certainly looks like a wii u gamepad link is holding

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

smell this posted:

that certainly looks like a wii u gamepad link is holding

The weird thing is the demo presumely didnt really use the gamepad in any way, which made me skeptic that was the case. also the wii u gamepad doesnt have a camera on its back or anything like the grips on the sides like that.

edit: for reference i dont think the nx is goign to look exactly like that, outside maybe having a camera in the back.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 31, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It seems more like the game was going to use more gamepad features and then they stripped them out when they decided on the cross-platform release.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the mockups are way too faithful to the eurogamer design

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Raserys posted:

the mockups are way too faithful to the eurogamer design

No. Not really. They mostly look like a 3ds cut in half.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

This one is rad.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Soul Glo posted:

This one is rad.

It looks like an android phone with controller bookends. Which honestly wouldn't be the worst form-factor, but I would hope the controller parts have like some grippy roundness to them on the back, the way the WiiU pad does.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wanna know how this guy fits into the NX news.

Cause it seems to me Alpine Walkin' Guy might hold a few clues.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I always wanted to hold a PS3 boomerang controller

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I always wanted to hold a PS3 boomerang controller
I think there was a Sega Genesis controller shaped like that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Falco was using the NX controller in that anime

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I wanna know how this guy fits into the NX news.

Oh, it's simple, instead of integrated circuits the NX's controller uses miniature slave gnomes that live inside the shell.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think there was a Sega Genesis controller shaped like that.

You're likely thinking of the N64 boomerang controller.

I remember people saying it's actually comfortable to use. Somehow.

greatn posted:

Falco was using the NX controller in that anime

Saoshyant posted:

Hidden in plain sight?? Fits the bill, at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Digital Foundry still trying to milk anything with the NX on the name, now compares how Gamecube/Wii emulation works on Tegra X1 so we have a basis of comparison if NX will be able to run those in its VC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGdHM8AIhvw

This is using the Dolphin emulator on Android. Android adds some overhead, Dolphin is of course not 100% accurate, and the Shield Tablet isn't using Vulkan. And yet, framerates are close enough that taking those three things out of the equation, Nintendo could pull it off with proper accuracy if they thrown enough M2 wizards at it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So if the EG stuff is true, Breath of the Wild is probably going to be the most technologically impressive game we see on the system ever, and may look and play worse than the Wii U version.

I don't like this.

Saoshyant posted:

Digital Foundry still trying to milk anything with the NX on the name, now compares how Gamecube/Wii emulation works on Tegra X1 so we have a basis of comparison if NX will be able to run those in its VC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGdHM8AIhvw

This is using the Dolphin emulator on Android. Android adds some overhead, Dolphin is of course not 100% accurate, and the Shield Tablet isn't using Vulkan. And yet, framerates are close enough that taking those three things out of the equation, Nintendo could pull it off with proper accuracy if they thrown enough M2 wizards at it.

'Nintendo might get their 10 year old games running on it'. Good sign.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

So if the EG stuff is true, Breath of the Wild is probably going to be the most technologically impressive game we see on the system ever, and may look and play worse than the Wii U version.

What have you been reading to reach this conclusion? The Tegra X1 chip is vastly superior to both the CPU and GPU on the Wii U, and that's the old chip we know of. There's still a possibility it will be a superior one even.

Hell, you quoted my comments about old system emulation. If you know anything about how emulation works you'd know the Wii U can't actually pull even Nintendo 64 properly. And that's from 20 years ago.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Let's be fair to the Wii U - NOTHING can do the N64 "properly".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nintendo please tell me the pricepoint already

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nintendo please tell me the pricepoint already

100,000 MyNintendo platinum coins

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

DoctorWhat posted:

Let's be fair to the Wii U - NOTHING can do the N64 "properly".

The N64 often struggled to achieve this

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

SnowWalk 1080 is the spiritual successor to WaveRace 64.

Saoshyant posted:

Digital Foundry still trying to milk anything with the NX on the name,

Can't wait to watch so many DF videos that I get nostalgic for watching GameXplain videos.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dr Cheeto posted:

100,000 MyNintendo platinum coins

well its not like theres anything else to spend them on

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TheScott2K posted:

The N64 often struggled to achieve this

Haha, funny joke, but seriously that thing's architecture is a nearly-unparalleled nightmare for emulation.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I have heard it described as not building an emulator for the N64, but as an emulator for a specific N64 game. And if it runs other stuff, bonus!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

MechaCrash posted:

I have heard it described as not building an emulator for the N64, but as an emulator for a specific N64 game. And if it runs other stuff, bonus!

Pretty much. The N64's GPU was fully programmable by the developer. While most games used the standard microcode that Nintendo and SGI provided, a few devs like Rare and Factor 5 chose to write their own to eke better performance out of 1995 hardware.

Oh yeah, and the N64 GPU was horribly undocumented.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Instant Sunrise posted:

Pretty much. The N64's GPU was fully programmable by the developer. While most games used the standard microcode that Nintendo and SGI provided, a few devs like Rare and Factor 5 chose to write their own to eke better performance out of 1995 hardware.

Oh yeah, and the N64 GPU was horribly undocumented.

:aaa:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
What does "fully programmable" mean in this context? Did the N64 GPU just have generic compute units instead of dedicated hardware blocks that performed specific tasks really efficiently (but inflexibly)? If so, that's interesting, I thought the change to amorphous programmable compute units was a recent thing (older computer GPUs had a certain number of blocks specifically tailored to each stage of its rendering pipeline so if your program was more bound by a stage of the pipeline that card wasn't optimized for you were SOL. More recently, cards, or at least NVidia ones, decided to just essentially make them all the same and dynamically allocate them which also makes GPGPU easier).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

My understanding is that the code in the carts would tell the N64 CPU that it should use "this" rendering program instead of the "other" rendering program. This being the Internet though someone has likely (and hopefully) written somewhere half a book explaining the actual process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Haha, funny joke, but seriously that thing's architecture is a nearly-unparalleled nightmare for emulation.
How about Saturn?

Course I hadn't heard about that "fully programmable" GPU bit until now, granted that's vague but sounds like it might've been many years ahead of its time.

• Locked thread