Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

You missed out the most positive change:

This seems like a really good way of preventing companies abusing 0 or low hours contracts to avoid paying wages

What a great idea

e. The number of ppl who passed away when the Kursk submarine sank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't want people to murder the Murdoch family, just take their money.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I also find little sympathy for a population that believes absolutely everything they see on the front page of the sun without any hesitation or critical thought whatsoever.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the very peasants their papers wrote for, rising up against their overlords

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Haha I just got a Jeremy comes to Brighton invite and on the RSVP email the subject calls it Brightom.

Nice one JEREMY.

What a loving shambles get him out now

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

qhat posted:

I also find little sympathy for a population that believes absolutely everything they see on the front page of the sun without any hesitation or critical thought whatsoever.

The terribleness of newspapers in England has a long and storied history. I've been reading a book about the early colonies in Virginia and it's hilarious the degree to which the colonial companies used media to besmirch anyone who tried to tell the truth about their colonies maybe not being all that great. Including the colonists themselves coming back, who were painted as traitors, liars and thieves who couldn't make it in the promised lands.

Of course everyone 'in the know' knew it was all a con, but it didn't prevent the masses from eating it up. Same thing with war propaganda, Victorian imperialism, etc, etc.

E: and yeah I'm dyslectic so I spell all gud, what of it?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 31, 2016

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Spangly A posted:

I agree, but this is the plan and the pro-austerity media, responsible hugely for these starvations, won't face any challengers on fair terms. In fact, academics have gone to great lengths to point out that they've organised a campaign to make sure Jeremy Corbyn, a man aware of their role in the issue, is presented as poorly as possible.

Comrades, I'm genuinely baffled at all this bleating about the pernicious MSM. I mean, I understand it - it's an essential part of your victimhood complex to handwave away Dear Leader's repeated failures rather than actually try to address their glaring presence - but I struggle to see how you rationalise it to yourselves. On the one hand, the rise of New Media and long-term falling circulation mean that the MSM is decrepit and increasingly irrelevant - yet on the other you are absolutely insensible with rage whenever a newspaper editorial presumes to differ from Dear Leader and are convinced they're stealing the Revolution from you. The enemy is at once both contemptibly weak yet dangerously strong - but if we band together, like how sticks of wood are frail individually but tough in a bundle, we will expel the capitalist swine!

If you want to tell the public what they're supposed to think, why don't you start your own newspaper, with vingt-et-un and courtesans? It's a free press, you're more than welcome to add your own voices to it even though you want to staple shut the competition. The SNP seem to be doing okay with The National and the Sunday Herald as their political sheets and despite their anti-Establishment position their offices haven't been firebombed, nor their journalists murdered (funny, that). The Daily Mirror - that noted Tory rag - has a circulation twice that of the Telegraph's. Seeing as people are willing to spend millions on Dear Leader's latest UK tour I'm sure they'll pony up for subscriptions too. There's a market just waiting to be tapped there, it'd be good business.

quote:

Corbyn's announced another thing and the Guardian website has even put it on the front page, how charitable

But I thought that The Guardian was a bourgeois force of liberals who were part of the mainstream media conspiracy to suppress Dear Leader's policies?

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 31, 2016

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

quote:

The enemy is at once both contemptibly weak yet dangerously strong 

This is a remarkably common pattern, often fulfilled by Jews of some sort, or alternatively rootless cosmopolitans/internationalists.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The way you say "comrades" ironically is so witty & clever. Have you considered a career in standup? I mean people are always complaining that there's a lack of slavery apologists in comedy, you could right that imbalance.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

This is a remarkably common pattern, often fulfilled by Jews of some sort, or alternatively rootless cosmopolitans/internationalists.

Yes, yes, we know that you jump on any possible accusation of anti-Semitism with almost creepy glee.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Yes, yes, we know that you jump on any possible accusation of anti-Semitism with almost creepy glee.

It's not Jews this time! It's the media elites/journalists (which seem to me to be quite different things).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

It's not Jews this time! It's the media elites/journalists (which seem to me to be quite different things).

Yes we know you're quoting from ur-fascism. Is your point now that the voice of the UKMT is genuine proto-fascism or are you just doing some weak troll because you have nothing better to do?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

pointsofdata posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm not accusing the media of being weak while they're loving with democracy, quite the opposite, hence advocating violence at them because they aren't going to be beaten fairly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Why don't we all also use the fact all of us are as rich as Rupert Murdoch to form a monopoly? because there's a key element there that means "weak" is not really applicable

e; it's also why nobody's calling for Kappa to be hung. He's got the twisting every source to fit an abhorrent end down pat, but he's an irrelevance, so it's not realy a problem.

Hell, if someone calls him a liberal cosmopolitan elite (hah) then he might have an argument that ur-fash is present. But that's not what's happening here. If you can't see the difference between the desire to crush organisations hellbent on enriching themselves at massive societal cost and crushing dissent, I can point the difference out to you.

Crushing dissent is what the UK government does. That's why councils aren't allowed to print that they're fully aware and unable to cope with the mass starvation and homelessness epidemic. Crushing dissent is tear-gassing and water-cannoning protestors. Saying that the Murdochs should hang or, at the very least, be opportunistically assassinated, is the very opposite. The idea would be that more dissent to status quo would exist.

They don't *need* to die. I won't celebrate when they die. It'll be on to the next oval office. The only victory is media reform, and that's why Jeremy Corbyn's role as leader of the opposition is so important to the left.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 31, 2016

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/759693876667912192

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They're weak because they won't advocate violence against/fully oppress internal enemies, and so can be defeated by those who will.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

pointsofdata posted:

pointsofdata posted:

Calling left wing criticism of the UK media antisemitic is a bit bizarre. One of the biggest criticisms of the UK media from the left was that the attacks on Ed Miliband were antisemitic.

Why are you defending this kind of poo poo?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

They're weak because they won't advocate violence against/fully oppress internal enemies, and so can be defeated by those who will.

Good. Then let's make sure the bandwagon is full of people who understand right from wrong.

We're down here at liberalism v authoritarianism and I find the liberal ideology utterly repulsive so, admittedly from your side more than mine, we have reached a polite impasse.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

dispatch_async posted:

Calling left wing criticism of the UK media antisemitic is a bit bizarre. One of the biggest criticisms of the UK media from the left was that the attacks on Ed Miliband were antisemitic.

Why are you defending this kind of poo poo?

I think we're using quite different definitions of left wing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Corbyn needs a nickname

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Spangly A posted:

e; it's also why nobody's calling for Kappa to be hung.

are you sure about this one

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Mail have found a new enemy:

People giving birth. :argh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TinTower posted:

gently caress the Daily Mail, may their presses rust and their servers melt down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

We're down here at liberalism v authoritarianism and I find the liberal ideology utterly repulsive so, admittedly from your side more than mine, we have reached a polite impasse.
Right wing liberalism of the "let everyone say what they like, if the guy with the soapbox and bullhorn has a good point then their speech will surely outweigh the billion dollar media machine" is bad. Right wing authoritarianism of the "throw communists out of helicopters and ruthlessly suppress dissent using the hammer and the book" is also bad. There's a common bad factor there outside of 'liberalism v authoritarianism'.

That's a big reason why I'm not willing to give up liberal constructs like human rights, freedom of information, right to encrypt, etc. (which are at their heart all liberal constructs drawing legitimacy from Enlightenment philosophers who were at the same time fine with a bunch of horrible poo poo) because near enough everyone pushing for them to be overthrown wants to move towards right wing authoritarianism and not left wing anything. Every "we will only use this against nazi skinheads and religious fundamentalists" law ends up being used far more often against anarchists, environmentalists, and workers' rights groups. There's a double-bind there in that a huge reason why that's the case is the press themselves, but because of that any present swing against liberalism through political means will not be one that unseats the power of the press.

I guess we're down to either the press sinking into irrelevancy because of new media and then those new media somehow not being bastards, or defenestrating their wealthy donors.

Namtab posted:

Corbyn needs a nickname
Corbae.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

"People" giving birth. :argh:

Corrected for their attitude to trans people.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

TinTower posted:

I'm sure the story about Pippa is very complimentary.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yesterday's front page made me laugh out loud.

Claiming 'victory' because something that they fought against ended up working.

Cunts.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Mail peaked recently with;

https://twitter.com/kathbum/status/758692873630081024

I don't think that anything after that is going to compare

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Yesterday's front page made me laugh out loud.

Claiming 'victory' because something that they fought against ended up working.

Cunts.

No, the Mail campaigned for it, the MoS campaigned against it.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

TinTower posted:

So what else could the Mail expect from this story, pod?

Chocolate Teapot fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 31, 2016

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Right wing liberalism of the "let everyone say what they like, if the guy with the soapbox and bullhorn has a good point then their speech will surely outweigh the billion dollar media machine" is bad. Right wing authoritarianism of the "throw communists out of helicopters and ruthlessly suppress dissent using the hammer and the book" is also bad. There's a common bad factor there outside of 'liberalism v authoritarianism'.

That's a big reason why I'm not willing to give up liberal constructs like human rights, freedom of information, right to encrypt, etc. (which are at their heart all liberal constructs drawing legitimacy from Enlightenment philosophers who were at the same time fine with a bunch of horrible poo poo) because near enough everyone pushing for them to be overthrown wants to move towards right wing authoritarianism and not left wing anything.

So down with authoritarianism and up with liberalism unless it happens to be a left wing authoritarian regime which have traditionally turned out fine?

Anyway, I am always pissed off when bits of the UKMT descends into kill and destroy chat since that's the thinking that leads to all these wonderful things like death squads and purges. A wouldn't the world be a better places if all these people were gone, like say, poors, blacks, homosexuals, Jews or Tories, kinda thinking that never leads to good places.

[edit] I would also say that supporters of a movement who most people associate with people like Stalin, Mao and Chavez should be a bit charitable towards other movements with many sound ideas who have some people associated with it who advocated some pretty heinous poo poo.

Unless, of course, you think that killing millions of people to shore up your totalitarian regime whilst claiming it will usher in a utopian communist future is great, in which case gently caress you.

Munin fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 31, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Totally all in favour yes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/758678910330626049

Replace all UKMT OPs (and posts) with Parliawint.

Steve2911 posted:

Totally all in favour yes.

Lol, well they did also campaign pretty hard for it too. I suppose it's just their health reporting (where they can have "x cures cancer" and "x causes cancer" stories often on facing pages) leaking into the rest of the paper.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nice catch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol, well they did also campaign pretty hard for it too. I suppose it's just their health reporting (where they can have "x cures cancer" and "x causes cancer" stories often on facing pages) leaking into the rest of the paper.

That's a good tactic actually. Play both sides and get to splash 'Victory for the Mail' (the four worst words in the English language) on your front page no matter the outcome.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

That's a good tactic actually. Play both sides and get to splash 'Victory for the Mail' (the four worst words in the English language) on your front page no matter the outcome.

They could just do that anyway. It's not like lying is a problem for them.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If you read the Eye they have a fortnightly section devoted to the spat between the MOS and the Mail, and how the MoS line is usually taken purely to annoy Dacre

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

This is an amazing change, my current contract has me 'on call' quite a lot for 0 pay. I wonder how companies will get around it!

I think I'm technically on call every day, so yeah it'd be nice to be able to tell my lot "gently caress off I'm not doing it".

Looke posted:

this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn

Jeremy Corbym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I still find the hatred and rivalry between the MoS and the Mail to be one the funniest thing in British media.

• Locked thread