Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Fuckman posted:

As a person living on a planet that does not engage in space trade, yes, I need to have it explained why space trade is so necessary and why a blockade is so heinous, especially over such a negligible period of time. I am willing to be generous! Is there a plague where only space medicine can help? Ok, fair play. Do they need food? Why they can't grow their own food on an entire planet? Maybe economics had suppressed local farming! if they had said that even remotely: OK. And thanks to all the waterfalls we see, after food and medicine, already we've run out of stuff that would be such an immediate pressing issue that they literally can't survive without it for a couple of days, without reference to Mega-Maid.

It would also help if we saw a single person on Naboo who was both a) suffering at all at any point from lack of food/medicine/air/Schwartz and b) not a pilot or cabinet member

Man you are like one of those failed Ripley clones in the tubes in Alien Resurrection, but of SMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
“Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

quote:

as always, my ban history is a wall of being completely right and whimpering idiot trash heaps running to mommy. i am however gratified that large numbers of you have come to accept my inescapable conclusions. i can't begrudge you the time it took any more than i can begrudge a bear time to learn to ride a tiny motorcycle

however, i want you to know that i will probably stop coming back here, because as much as i would like to continue keeping lowtax from having to get a job for 45 additional minutes, i have come to the conclusion that i hate nearly all of you. mostly the hooting gbs posters who are some of the least intelligent people to ever live, the loathsome lawschool fatbodies in D&D who never found an american war or spying program they couldn't crank their gross beagle dicks to, and the cinema discusso posters who are intensely pompous about transformers movies and are essentially the totality of the counterargument to anti-bullying campaigns.

after being banned by the belligerent stupid warmongering weasel childman who desperately needs a grossly debilitating but nonfatal brain aneurysm and goes by the handle "fishmech" i looked around and realized that anyone of value had been banned years ago, as the tall grass gets the scythe. they often went on to fame and legit writing gigs, while worthless crackers like Deteriorata and Evilweasel and all the current moderators clung for a decade on the value of their own angry defenses of consensus and banality while the economically failing zoo opened all the cages to let the animals free as a merciful last gasp of GBS.

anyway i don't want this to be too wordy as i'm sure you've already skimmed it to fantasize about rape so let's chat before some unpaid gas station attendant who has never told a joke in his life decides to ban me

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Phi230 posted:

ROGUE ONE: WORST CASE

Rogue One begins with an action introduction.

Zoey Deschanel is under attack by der sturmtruppen. Beard white man sees value in this REBELLIOUS PERSON and 'rescues' her but she gets handcuffed cuz shes EDGY and fights back

She, a random prisoner of Beard Man, Is taken to the main rebel headquarters and shown to the entire rebel leadership for no reason other than she is protagonist

She is given THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB IN THE GALAXY by the clone of the actress who played Mon Mothma.

Thus begins act 1

WE'RE PUTTIN A TEAM TOGETHER

Beard man says. So begins recruitment montage of a bunch of archetypal A Team members.

After feel good recruitment montage, we cut to Angry White Man. He is given job to stop Good Guys. He orders EVIL BLACK PEOPLE i mean MORDTRUPPEN to hunt Good Guys

THUS BEGINS ACT 2

Good Guys take the leap and sneak onto the Death Star and steal the plans. MORDTRUPPEN interrupt before they escape and kill a popular team member and engage good guys

On their escape from the death star which is like a 30 minute action sequence they crash land on MAUI TROPICAL RESORT

THUS BEGINS ACT 3

Act 3 is a 45 minute long action sequence where 50% or higher of the A TEAM dies trying to exfiltrate the Death Star Plans.

The MORDTRUPPEN all die and ANGRY white man gets fuckin choked out by Vader who appears outta fuckin nowhere

Vader is in chase personally now

Whike the A Team flees from Vader; Donnie Yen stops and gives a tearfuk goodbye and tries to fite vader 1v1 and gets fuckin spooked

Zoey Katniss and White People Look The Same are the sole survivors whatever

Beard Man dies in tearful embrace

Edgy white girl is mortally wounded

She delivers the Laserdisk with the Death Star plans as her last action. "get these to...eugh...PRINCESS LEIAH" and she fuckin dies

C3P0 whines about seeing some girl die, and CGI princess leiah says something ominous

The final shot is is a fixed rear shot of the Corvette flying high over loving TATOOINE gently caress YOU with some dark music playing in the background

Literally the end of Halo Reach

FCUJ YOU

I skip to this page to catch up in thread.. Glad to see I was greeted by the worst post ever.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

imagine hating a movie so much that you spend $10 multiple times so you can get mad at people who dont hate it as much as you

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kly posted:

imagine hating a movie so much that you spend $10 multiple times so you can get mad at people who dont hate it as much as you

"But this time, the outcome will be different!"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

“Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Just because it's not real doesn't mean it can't be good. I understand that TPM is a unique movie. But this is Star Wars. It should be held to a higher standard, and some people don't believe it has met that standard. You don't see former stars of That 70s Show making "super cuts" of the original trilogy.

If someone asks me whether I want to watch TPM or ANH, I'm going to answer ANH every. single. time.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PBS Newshour posted:

I skip to this page to catch up in thread.. Glad to see I was greeted by the worst post ever.

Welcome to the fuckin show youngblood

This is the Star Wars thread where spergs come to die

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Apparently the cold open is young Jyn playing in a field when Clone Troopers land at her little house, Poggle the Lesser getting out and trying to persuade her father to help build the Death Star and then, when a CGI de-aged Mads has turned him down and killed him Vader coming in, choking Jyn and Mads agreeing to come so long as the girl is left alone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

But this is Star Wars. It should be held to a higher standard

Never have these words been combined in such a manner.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Phantom Menace becomes an excellent film when you realize that Jar Jar is driving the events of the film, and he's also the sith lord.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

If this is an actual spoiler, you may want to toss spoiler tags on it...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Just because it's not real doesn't mean it can't be good. I understand that TPM is a unique movie. But this is Star Wars. It should be held to a higher standard,

Star Wars, from the start, has run on basic visual Flash Gordon logic. Naboo is a pretty garden world, here's a bunch of machines coming knocking over trees and marching skeletal robot soldiers into cities. This is a bad thing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Brainiac Five posted:

An emphasis on form over content is, erm, not exactly a sign of intellectualism.

Just as a poorly made script shot with skill and vision may give the illusion of great competency, so may a clever argument delivered lazily and sloppily give the impression of idiocy.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

Just as a poorly made script shot with skill and vision may give the illusion of great competency, so may a clever argument delivered lazily and sloppily give the impression of idiocy.

Well, bud, you aren't providing any cleverness to go with your laziness and sloppiness, so what does that make you?

EDIT: Forgot to put this in APA format.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

Star Wars, from the start, has run on basic visual Flash Gordon logic. Naboo is a pretty garden world, here's a bunch of machines coming knocking over trees and marching skeletal robot soldiers into cities. This is a bad thing.

It's a great example of ideology at work, since the imagery really is that simple. Fans conjure up this notion of 'unfathomable political complexity' to escape from the terrifying simplicity of a phrase like 'the heroes are racist imperialists'.

This logic is why you get tens of thousands of youtubes devoted to plot holes, making grand displays of mock incomprehension. The goal is to prevent understanding.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 31, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why waste perfectly good hate on the prequels, which are good, when the Holiday Special is right there.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tunicate posted:

The Phantom Menace becomes an excellent film when you realize that Jar Jar is driving the events of the film, and he's also the sith lord.

Again, this is unironically the point of the movie and almost certainly author's intent (minus the Sith Lord part).

Qui-Gon: Nothing happens by accident.

Anakin: Oops!

The entire movie is a celebration of the clumsiness of the universe and the redemptive potential inherent in human folly:

George Lucas posted:

I think it is obvious that [Qui-Gon] was wrong in Episode I and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The “phantom menace” refers to the force of the dark side of the universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader—also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction and Qui-Gon are correct—Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor.

— George Lucas, Cut Magazine, 1999

That's the real reason why there's that (in)famous clip of Lucas saying Jar Jar is the "key" to everything. He's the most visible embodiment of the movie's central metaphor about the elasticity of the Force. Human error is ultimately just another means the cosmic Force (which you can think of as either the deterministic laws of the universe or as some kind of conscious higher power) uses to its own ends.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 31, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

PriorMarcus posted:

Apparently the cold open is young Jyn playing in a field when Clone Troopers land at her little house, Poggle the Lesser getting out and trying to persuade her father to help build the Death Star and then, when a CGI de-aged Mads has turned him down and killed him Vader coming in, choking Jyn and Mads agreeing to come so long as the girl is left alone.

Poggle the Lesser dies in Episode III.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Proposition Joe posted:

Poggle the Lesser dies in Episode III.

Did the EU ever explain who Poggle the Greater was because if not that was a huge missed opportunity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Brainiac Five posted:

Did the EU ever explain who Poggle the Greater was because if not that was a huge missed opportunity.

There wasn't a Poggle the Greater. The "Lesser" came from him being born into the lower social caste

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

There wasn't a Poggle the Greater. The "Lesser" came from him being born into the lower social caste

This is one of the worst things I have ever heard. My god.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

George Lucas posted:

The story meanders

This is true.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brainiac Five posted:

This is one of the worst things I have ever heard. My god.

It's like having Seneca the Younger and saying there never was a Seneca the Elder.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Why waste perfectly good hate on the prequels, which are good, when the Holiday Special is right there.

Tracking down a copy of the holiday special to watch would actually require work and effort, and the people who come here just to post about how much they hate a movie aren't interested in either of those things.

It's so much easier to come in here and regurgitate RLM soundbites instead.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I think the prequels are flaw but i liked them. my only beef is i feel the trade federation is the worst villains in star wars and i feel they are not a threat to the heroes. and yet i am ok with the sepatrist and they are just puppets for the sith to gain more power in the republic, and was disposed of when he got said power.

palpatine was the best thing about the 3 movies, the worst being using a ton of early 2000 CGI but that is more of a fault of the tech.

funny enough i don't see the black in jar jar, the trade fedaration on the other hand to me sound like a white guy doing yellow face in the 30's, and yes i know flash gorden did that poo poo a ton, but that poo poo was hated even by 1999.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 1, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
TPM is mostly garbage, but it's not garbage because it didn't explain why being blockaded is a bad thing, good grief.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...729-gqgqx4.html

quote:

In the 2011 census 64,390 Australians marked Jedi as their religion, up from 58,053 in 2006. This put the number of Jedi in Australia just behind Sikhs and above Seventh Day Adventists.

The Jedi phenomenon began in 2001 when an email campaign mistakenly claimed the government would have to recognise it as an official religion if 8000 people selected it in the census.

quote:

Mr Brennan said there are "many genuine followers of the Jedi way and they're not all nut jobs and ferals".

He said the Jedi belief system includes views such as "all life is sacred", "be kind to others" and "protect the innocent and the weak".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's all cut straight from the first trailer, but we have a TV Spot for Rogue One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkHtdmWVmzQ

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh god I'm suddenly 13 and reading the Thrawn books again what is happening.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

It's all cut straight from the first trailer, but we have a TV Spot for Rogue One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkHtdmWVmzQ

Fookin 'ell I can't wait for this movie

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I don't know about you but the klaxons really do it for me in these trailers.

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster
So nobody honestly responded to my question if their prequel defense was just a joke, therefore, I must assume it is or they are just being contrary.

However: For those of whom simply have mental problems, I'm not really interested in bashing The Phantom Menace, that's Easy Mode. I'm more interested in making you realize that your opinions on film, while your defend the prequels, are axiomatically invalid. That was the impetus of the argument, a poster whining about how The Force Awakens was bad, while he spent innumerable hours defending the prequels. They are such unequivocally garbage films in every way that there's virtually no film you can criticize consistently as a human with worthwhile opinions while defending the Star Wars prequels, let alone a competent and beloved Star Wars film.

You think the cinematography in The Avengers is lame? You like Attack of the Clones.

You think the womens' roles are underwritten in BvS? You like Revenge of the Sith.

You don't like the racism in Birth of a Nation? You like The Phantom Menace.

etc, etc

Fuckman fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 2, 2016

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

ShineDog posted:

TPM is mostly garbage, but it's not garbage because it didn't explain why being blockaded is a bad thing, good grief.

Actually yes, its failure to connect with the audience and make them care at all is a major reason it failed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fuckman posted:

Actually yes, its failure to connect with the audience and make them care at all is a major reason it failed.

The sentence you quoted did not mention the thing you seem to think it did.

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

Bongo Bill posted:

The sentence you quoted did not mention the thing you seem to think it did.

Yes it did. The failure of the film to demonstrate the consequences of the blockade is a major reason why it didn't connect and why people outside of the fanboy demographic consider these films boring, terrible failures.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fuckman posted:

Yes it did. The failure of the film to demonstrate the consequences of the blockade is a major reason why it didn't connect and why people outside of the fanboy demographic consider these films boring, terrible failures.

The sentence you quoted was talking about whether the events were clearly understandable, but you are talking about whether they are emotionally compelling. Those are two different things.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fuckman posted:

You apparently care enough to rereg multiple times.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

computer parts posted:

You apparently care enough to rereg multiple times.

Re-regging multiple times is indeed insane. But the fact remains that the prequels suck. Flash Gordon-visuals are not solely responsible for the original Star Wars series' success, and to ignore the human, everyday relatable elements that made the OT so successful is folly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Re-regging multiple times is indeed insane. But the fact remains that the prequels suck. Flash Gordon-visuals are not solely responsible for the original Star Wars series' success, and to ignore the human, everyday relatable elements that made the OT so successful is folly.

Literally the past decade of Star Wars merchandising has been entirely about events deriving from the Prequels. They are quite literally a larger cultural cachet than the OT right now, especially for those under 30.

• Locked thread