Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Once again the fate of the country rests with swamp people or the land of serial killers and astronauts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I hope Clinton gets that convention bounce soon, not because I want her to win but because people will shut up with their conspiracy theories about 538's prediction model. Or at least the theories will become more entertaining since the Trump guys will be spouting them instead.

Like how does Silver ignoring the polls and dismissing Trump lead into him skewing the polls in favour of Trump. That's the exact opposite lesson.

Maybe it helps that I listen to Broken Nate's podcast and I actually understand his reasoning for how the model works.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

surreal

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

What's Pence's schedule like? Shouldn't he be out campaigning in battleground states?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Antti posted:

Maybe it helps that I listen to Broken Nate's podcast and I actually understand his reasoning for how the model works.

I do and I understand his idea. I just find it as misguided as Boosted's 2012 unskewing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Antti posted:

I hope Clinton gets that convention bounce soon, not because I want her to win but because people will shut up with their conspiracy theories about 538's prediction model. Or at least the theories will become more entertaining since the Trump guys will be spouting them instead.

Like how does Silver ignoring the polls and dismissing Trump lead into him skewing the polls in favour of Trump. That's the exact opposite lesson.

Especially funny because it's the same model he used in 2012.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

justin miller is a traitor to his clan

oh gently caress i want a clip of this, and who the hell is the supporter that would say that???

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Only go to barbers that use that lovely shave cream machine that warms it

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Give me the q tip, "family"

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

What's Pence's schedule like? Shouldn't he be out campaigning in battleground states?

they both took a break for the weekend, have events for tomorrow

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Antti posted:

when did Nate silver merge with Matt hardy

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/759833188495716352

couldn't even bend at the hips to bow, just not in his nature, which is the best

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DynamicSloth posted:

He's a Christian, a Conservative, and a Republican. In that order. Today's the Sabbath, friend.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ahahahhaha tfe

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

The "real" campaign doesn't start until Labour Day. But when your running mate is Donald loving Trump you should probably make good use of any time you have.

Or for a comedy answer, the campaign is in such disarray they aren't even ready to start hitting swing states.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Trump sacrificed two wives, which as the Khans no doubt realize, would be worth at least 12 goats and 4 camels

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Also, two sons turned into serial killers because he worked a lot. So much sacrifice

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Trump: Khan. Khan, you've won Hillary the presidency. But you don't have me! You're going to kill me, Khan. You're going to have to come down here. You're going to have to come down here.
Khan: I've done far worse than kill you... I've hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left my son... marooned for all eternity in the annals of political losers. A loser... a loser...
Trump: KHAAAAAAAAAN!! KHAAAAAAAAAN!!

gregday
May 23, 2003

Those photos of his sons standing over their large game kills look pretty sacrificial to me.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i dunno who nate silver is, and i dunno what unskewing means, but reading this thread is worth it for this stuff:

:catstare:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Nate Dogg's hairline seems to be receding in a really bizarre way

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

William Bear posted:

Trump: Khan. Khan, you've won Hillary the presidency. But you don't have me! You're going to kill me, Khan. You're going to have to come down here. You're going to have to come down here.
Khan: I've done far worse than kill you... I've hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left my son... marooned for all eternity in the annals of political losers. A loser... a loser...
Trump: KHAAAAAAAAAN!! KHAAAAAAAAAN!!

This really shouldn't be funny, but I'll be damned if I didn't crack up reading this.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Just need Donald to latch onto the idea of sacrificed marriages now

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Silver's final, election eve prediction will end up doing pretty well, but it's hard to not do "pretty well" with a presidential general election a few days out.

Dick Morris, celebrated idiot and noted worst pundit in politics, called 41/50 states in 2012. When 41/50 is the baseline worst performance you can get, the bar is pretty low and getting 48 or 49 out of 50 isn't that impressive anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Her hair is like like the picture of Dorian Grey story.

Wh

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

like a lot of guys going bald, he tried to get plugs, but you still continue to lose hair in the non-plugged spots

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Stare too long into the abyss, and the abyss convinces you plugs and a combover looks fine

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Boosted_C5 posted:

How can you people still not understand Donald Trump after all of this?

You have to be really dense to think Trump wants OUT of the debates. He literally does want them to be moved away from NFL games so as many people as possible will watch.

This is the man, who without hesitation, will say that he knows more about ISIS than U.S. military leaders do.

There is no way on God's green earth Trump believes he will do anything less than utterly destroy Hillary Clinton in the debates.

I have learned to just skim over the tone deaf posts. Name-calling and fantasy scenarios are the tell.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

pathetic little tramp posted:

like a lot of guys going bald, he tried to get plugs, but you still continue to lose hair in the non-plugged spots

But that's why you're supposed to take Propecia and wait a few years before doing it. Unless he's using Smallhand's dermatologist

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

The classiest, most luxurious campaign, let me tell you. Other campaigns are losers.

https://twitter.com/ThisWeekABC/status/759736978841579520

I'm pretty sure they will write books about it though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

But that's why you're supposed to take Propecia and wait a few years before doing it. Unless he's using Smallhand's dermatologist

maybe nate is avoiding Propecia for another reason

http://www.menshealth.com/health/hair-raising-effect

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Joementum posted:

Especially funny because it's the same model he used in 2012.

Which is why I gave up on him in 2012.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/759838941851770884

:getin:

gregday
May 23, 2003

So how's Trump enjoying the general election so far?

A New Dad
Nov 10, 2012

I SHOULD FUCK OFF BACK TO C-SPAM

Decius posted:

It will be interesting to compare the unskewing done by Nate Silver with the real result in November. After 2012 (where the pure polls were pretty good) and the Primary (where the pure polls again were pretty good, but Silver dropped the ball by ignoring the polls and playing pundit) building a model where the whole assumption is that Trump will do by 3-5 % better than the polls say in basically every single swing state - unskewing the polls - is an interesting approach. I guess their hope/assumption is that the polls will be in line with their prediction in October/November, but that seems a pretty big assumption on his side in the first place. At least we don't have 3-4 site all saying basically the same this time around, will be interesting if Upshot/PEC or 538 have the better model for a less stable race than 2008/2012.

Edit: I mean, he does it even for Colorado. A +3 Clinton poll suddenly becomes a +1 Trump poll. Despite being already LV. Making a state where Clinton leads all six recent polls with at least +3 to 2 polls with Trump up and Clinton's margins reduced by up to 5 points. He's basically doing Boosted's work from 2012.

The reason why it's so aggressive with the adjustments right now is that the model takes into account trendlines when performing adjustments. Obviously I don't know the exact algorithm but it's likely just seeing that Trump has improved in the polls recently and is projecting that this will continue. Over time, if his progress stalls, the trendline adjustment will even out and converge with Trump's polling average. Clinton is seeing a similar effect, just in the other direction. The trendline adjustments are pushing the model 3-4 points towards Trump across the states. Throw in other adjustments and the shift can be quite significant (5-7 points overall), particularly if a pollster has a strong house effect in their model.

The reason we didn't see this in 2012 is that the polls were unusually stable.

I would just not read too deeply into any model at this point.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

biased lamestream media

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Watching Trump's media surrogates try to defend whatever stupid thing he said most recently has been one of the funniest parts of the campaign. They are not exactly the brightest or most eloquent bunch and struggle even with a winning hand, so these progressively worse contortions they twist themselves into before the media moves onto a new story are a real joy to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Willie Tomg posted:

yeah i'm not entirely sure how ppl here can supposedly watch this trashfire of a cargo cult approximation of democratic process and not realize the pattern that's been established by now

Can somebody decode this post for me? What does this mean?

• Locked thread