Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Top headline on FoxNews.com right now:

Don't know why they're literally echoing Russian propaganda, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

exquisite tea posted:

I guess if you're super realpolitik about keeping Republicans out of the white house you'll want a very close election where Trump could plausibly have won so that his platform is not rejected outright and some of the true believers stick around in the party.

I am willing to sacrifice a Cruz presidency after Hillary gets in her Supreme Court nominees if it means the white nationalism of Trump's campaign is purged for another generation.

I am not Machiavellian enough to consider the rise of explicit white nationalism in the political discourse worth if for the election turnout

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Colorado Springs is Christian as gently caress but it's not that bad. I've lived here like 6 years and you just usually just hear have a blessed day. Though they might have something to do with no recreational weed in the city but lol if you don't have a medical card

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Nate looks like eric

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

beergod posted:

And also literally the most terrifying thing I've ever read. Does anyone think Trump is going to go away quietly when he loses? It's going to get real ugly.

can someone link the Trump narcism meltdown effort post? sounds like a good read and I missed it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The obvious nightmare scenario here is that Clinton beats Trump by provoking him and goading him into more and more outrageous positions and never actually address the economic discontent that accounted for the (non-racist half of) Trump's success, and 4 years and a mild recession later, Ted loving Cruz comes in and cleans up in 2020.

Sure is weird how that "economic discontent" appeared years before any economic problems, back in the 60s.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I guess if you're super realpolitik about keeping Republicans out of the white house you'll want a very close election where Trump could plausibly have won so that his platform is not rejected outright and some of the true believers stick around in the party.

a bigger loss would definitely make it easier for the party to try for a 'clean break' with trump (i'm sure the media can't wait for when they get to fawn all over paul ryan again for example)

but just remember that in 2020 the electorate is going to be another 2% less white and minorities aren't dumb enough to forget which party welcomed in the white supremacists regardless of how little/much trump loses the election by

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

Sure is weird how that "economic discontent" appeared years before any economic problems, back in the 60s.

frustration with email security protocols likewise predates the invention of email

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Only go to barbers that use that lovely shave cream machine that warms it

Hot and Foamy?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fishmech posted:

The Deep South has always struggled economically in contrast to the North even in the relatively prosperous mid-20th century. Racism and Nationalism have always been inseparable from blue-collar economic frustration.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Fox Ironic posted:

Say what you want about Mormons, but they are fairly tolerant of outsider's worldviews. Comes with the whole "getting unfairly labelled a cult" thing.

"unfairly" lol, they wear magical underwear and are sworn to secrecy regarding their rituals on pain of death

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

i know he didn't endorse trump but if he really thinks it's truly unacceptable, trump's his leader now and there's nothing he can do about it short of ditching the party

remaining in the GOP counts as accepting it, no one is holding a gun to his head and keeping him in it

Nah. Graham is cool, I mean not really, his actual belief system is poo poo, but I think saying the GOP are required to renounce their party is a bit much just don't endorse the bigot running for President under your banner.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Constant Hamprince posted:

"unfairly" lol, they wear magical underwear and are sworn to secrecy regarding their rituals on pain of death

the only practical difference between a cult and a religion is membership number

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
America.

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/759871424391680000

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

DynamicSloth posted:

Nah. Graham is cool, I mean not really, his actual belief system is poo poo, but I think saying the GOP are required to renounce their party is a bit much just don't endorse the bigot running for President under your banner.

ok yeah that's probably a little harsh but it would be nice for more republicans to have some self-awareness that trump is a direct product of the viewpoints and policies that they've spent the last several decades actively promoting, it's just frustrating to see the "good ones" position be "trump sucks but none of us had anything to do with him"

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Pentecostals speak in tongues. Certain Evangelical sects handle snakes. Orthodox Christians believe Communion is literally Time Travel.

Magic Underwear is pretty par for the course.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Deep South has always struggled economically in contrast to the North even in the relatively prosperous mid-20th century. Racism and Nationalism have always been inseparable from blue-collar economic frustration.

sure is weird how the deep south suddenly covered the entire united states from about the time the civil rights act was signed

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I forget, Jeb, where was Mr. Khan when he died and why was he there again?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

please clap

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i still cant believe he has been beaten down that badly.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I'll never forget that war...it started in 2009?2005? The 2000s

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Fox Ironic posted:

Pentecostals speak in tongues. Certain Evangelical sects handle snakes. Orthodox Christians believe Communion is literally Time Travel.

They didn't consider black people to be fully human until the '60s dog

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Consummate Professional posted:

I'll never forget that war...it started in 2009?2005? The 2000s

To be fair, if anyone can speak for families grieving from the Iraq War its Jeb!

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLSy8Tl2bjs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fox Ironic posted:

wait, explain the time travel thing. also i never understood why the snake handling churches didn't use use a weird looking ball python morph instead of super deadly one. the verse says snakes not venom saced ones.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair, if anyone can speak for families grieving from the Iraq War its Jeb!

If only cause he wasn't sure if it was bad or not

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait, explain the time travel thing. also i never understood why the snake handling churches didn't use use a weird looking ball python morph instead of super deadly one.

Because, all credit to snake handling churches, they honestly believe their poo poo

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait, explain the time travel thing. also i never understood why the snake handling churches didn't use use a weird looking ball python morph instead of super deadly one. the verse says snakes not venom saced ones.
I'm not sure on the first, from what I can read the Orthodox Church believes in transubstantiation, but that it's through a mystical process that men cannot understand.
To the latter the snakes have to be poisonous, it's the point. There's several passages referencing serpents not harming the bearer. If they aren't venomous they can't harm:
And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sarmhan posted:

I'm not sure on the first, from what I can read the Orthodox Church believes in transubstantiation, but that it's through a mystical process that men cannot understand.
To the latter the snakes have to be poisonous, it's the point. There's several passages referencing serpents not harming the bearer. If they aren't venomous they can't harm:
And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18)

I bet it really hurts to have a giant python bite you.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

I bet it really hurts to have a giant python bite you.
It totally would, but again I think the interpretation is pretty obvious. The other two passages people reference:
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. (Luke 10:19)

And when they were escaped, then they knew that the island was called Melita. And the barbarous people shewed us no little kindness: for they kindled a fire, and received us every one, because of the present rain, and because of the cold. And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live. And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm. Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god. (Acts 28:1-6)

It'd be an interesting test of faith if people didn't, well, die doing it.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

sarmhan posted:

ok question, how is the "drink any deadly thing" part dealt with? like, if they actually believe this stuff couldn't they just drink gasoline to prove it instead of bothering with the snakes?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

they just drink gasoline to prove it instead of bothering with the snakes?

That's saturday night and they call it moonshine

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/759859245080870913

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

ok question, how is the "drink any deadly thing" part dealt with? like, if they actually believe this stuff couldn't they just drink gasoline to prove it instead of bothering with the snakes?
I don't know, I don't think trying to reason theology with this crowd is really going to do much.

On Trump news, CNN is trashing him pretty hard at the moment:

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Dapper_Swindler posted:

One common interpretation of transubstantiation is that those present are literally transported to the time and place of Jesus's temporal existence while simultaneously existing in the present.

I may have oversimplified the Time Travel thing.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

side note - if anyone can explain these kinds of churches in a rational way to outsiders, trump needs that person as a comms director, not the dimwit from the less-favored branch of the miller family.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Fox Ironic posted:

Survey #2: Alt-right Man in his 40s from Pennsylvania. Ranted about Globalists and Jews for most of the survey. Unmarried and unemployed.

ah yes PA, original home of the right wing bitter clinging proud clingers

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

squidgee posted:

can someone link the Trump narcism meltdown effort post? sounds like a good read and I missed it.

Prester Jane posted:

I'm in the middle of moving cross country right now and my anxiety is sky high at the moment so I don't really have the energy to do a proper breakdown of the present situation, so I'm just going to quote myself from 2 months ago. I would argue that what we are seeing out of trump at present is right in line with my projections.

you'll have to go to her post to read it but that's the one

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"Clinging to their guns and religion" is the truest thing Obama has ever said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

They didn't consider black people to be fully human until the '60s dog

Some churches think homosexuals are diseased or possessed, right now, today.

• Locked thread