Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

EbolaIvory posted:

Our town is doing weekly Pokemon events at the zoo and other places. We're having 1500+ people show up at events that normally wouldn't bring in 300.

Pokemon is big business and casual mom and dads are out with 6-13 year old kids all over.

"The decline" is only nerds raging about poo poo nobody else is giving a gently caress about because for everyone else it's getting their family's together and doing poo poo. So yeah.

My city's zoo is doing the same thing and there's a lot of places that are doing things like that. The Chuck'E'Cheese that's a pokestop is almost always lured and there's a lot of people in the parking lot. Before pokemon go the lot was rarely full. It was consistently about half full and now it's closer to 3/4 full all the time.

I hate that they took out the tracking but I thought about it today and while I really enjoyed it I didn't really worry about tracking too much. Hopefully they bring it back but if they don't then I don't think it's going to have too bad of an effect, especially since it's been broken for most of the time anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So how are you meant to play the game to completion? Like I want an Aerodactyl, but none spawn anywhere in my neighborhood, near any of my friends, at my school, or at my job. Are you meant to just walk around the city until you happen upon a place?

Countblanc posted:

sorry, gen 2 sucked. go play it now, it's a miserable game and it isnt broken in nearly as many funny ways as gen 1 is

You're wrong. Except about the broken bit, I guess, but I've never cared for glitches.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

sorry, gen 2 sucked. go play it now, it's a miserable game and it isnt broken in nearly as many funny ways as gen 1 is

All the old gens suck to play now, but gen2 had the best pokemon design aesthetics of any generation. Without the benefit of nostalgia goggles, gen1 had a lot of ugly pokemon and lame design concepts, but gen2 was way more consistent.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

All the old gens suck to play now, but gen2 had the best pokemon design aesthetics of any generation. Without the benefit of nostalgia goggles, gen1 had a lot of ugly pokemon and lame design concepts, but gen2 was way more consistent.

It really did have a good design. Anyone who hates Sudowoodo and Togepi can gently caress right off :mad:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
There are pokemon bar crawls in miami, the park is lured 24/7 and downtown is lit up like a loving christmas tree durin work hours. Only turbo nerds on the internet care about all this. Everyone else is just happy to collect pokemans and dont give a poo poo.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

SonicRulez posted:

So how are you meant to play the game to completion? Like I want an Aerodactyl, but none spawn anywhere in my neighborhood, near any of my friends, at my school, or at my job. Are you meant to just walk around the city until you happen upon a place?

Eggs. I'm serious. I got a Aerodactyl from an egg. What hatches from a egg is always near your level (e.g. if you're level 21, it'll probably be 20). It also generally has good IVs (most eggs are 75%+ IV). Importantly, it gives you a consistent chance to get rare pokemon that you normally wouldn't be able to get out in the wild.

In addition to that, you'll get candy to level them up. So if you get an Aerodactyle out in the wild, you can power him up at most 3 times. If you get him from an egg, not only will he be leveled and high quality, but you can power him up for a while.

If you're going to spend money on anything in this game, egg incubators I think are the best investment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gen 2 is like the best gen and has yet to be topped.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hating g2 jfc

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Countblanc posted:

Gen 2 was the best in the entire series until Black/White. Sorry you have such atrocious opinions.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Cowman posted:

It really did have a good design. Anyone who hates Sudowoodo and Togepi can gently caress right off :mad:

I have an incredibly large collection of Togepi stuff (over 300 different toys and cards) and I will fight anyone who says an unkind word about that adorable lil egg baby.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Note Block posted:

I have an incredibly large collection of Togepi stuff (over 300 different toys and cards) and I will fight anyone who says an unkind word about that adorable lil egg baby.

Dratini > Togepi. :colbert:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dahbadu posted:

Eggs. I'm serious. I got a Aerodactyl from an egg. What hatches from a egg is always near your level (e.g. if you're level 21, it'll probably be 20). It also generally has good IVs (most eggs are 75%+ IV). Importantly, it gives you a consistent chance to get rare pokemon that you normally wouldn't be able to get out in the wild.

In addition to that, you'll get candy to level them up. So if you get an Aerodactyle out in the wild, you can power him up at most 3 times. If you get him from an egg, not only will he be leveled and high quality, but you can power him up for a while.

If you're going to spend money on anything in this game, egg incubators I think are the best investment.

drat. I haven't brought myself to spend money on the game because I reason that if I can get it for free, that is a waste of coin. Not only that, but drat RNG. I got my first 10 km egg the other day and I can't shake the feeling that it's just gonna hatch into a Pidgey/Rattata/Zubat/Ekans like my last five 5 km eggs.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Waroduce posted:

There are pokemon bar crawls in miami, the park is lured 24/7 and downtown is lit up like a loving christmas tree durin work hours. Only turbo nerds on the internet care about all this. Everyone else is just happy to collect pokemans and dont give a poo poo.

Ok, but for how long? People are not claiming this game is dead right now. They're claiming the game will be dead far faster than it should die if nothing is done to change Niantic's course. But you can just go ahead and keep strawmanning if it makes you feel better.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pokevision is down and their twitter makes it sound permanent. What happened? Are there any other similar sites that exist and I don't have to make the excellent career advancing decision to learn python for?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dratini > Togepi. :colbert:

It's fine to like other Pokemon more! (I looooove Goomy)

Just don't disparage the lil egg baby!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Cubey posted:

Gen 2 was the best in the entire series until Black/White. Sorry you have such atrocious opinions.

Did Black or White have you fight yourself from Gen 1 atop a mountain? Checkmate. :colbert:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Has anyone seen Jynx in the wild? There was a local park with a nest of them that is now a Slowbro nest. I feel like that will make them exceedingly rare because I haven't seen them anywhere else.

If you had a Magmar nest it is now Jynx. They're all over a place near me.

I think I'd rather have Magmars though.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 31, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Note Block posted:

I'm jealous :3:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Has anyone seen Jynx in the wild? There was a local park with a nest of them that is now a Slowbro nest. I feel like that will make them exceedingly rare because I haven't seen them anywhere else.

I found a Jynx while walking in the city north of my hometown. Which was also next to a beach.

It's IV's were poo poo though.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

SonicRulez posted:

drat. I haven't brought myself to spend money on the game because I reason that if I can get it for free, that is a waste of coin. Not only that, but drat RNG. I got my first 10 km egg the other day and I can't shake the feeling that it's just gonna hatch into a Pidgey/Rattata/Zubat/Ekans like my last five 5 km eggs.

Don't worry, a 10k egg can only hatch 10k stuff. You can get a Pinser from it, which is probably the worst thing. You may get an Eevee, but depending on your perception, that could be a good or bad thing (personally, I prefer not to get Eevees from 10k eggs).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

widespread posted:

Did Black or White have you fight yourself from Gen 1 atop a mountain? Checkmate. :colbert:

I can't really say anything bad about Gen 2 other than it being made obsolete by HG/SS, so v:shobon:v

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dahbadu posted:

I also see lots of parents playing it with their children.

But how many of those parents grew up with Pokémon?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dahbadu posted:

Don't worry, a 10k egg can only hatch 10k stuff. You can get a Pinser from it, which is probably the worst thing.

No, the worst thing is Onyx.

gently caress that mon.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Dahbadu posted:

Doesn't seem like a fad where I live. Seems there's more players every day. I have noticed that there are less stationary groups, though. Which is a good thing. Moving around is super important because hatching eggs is super important.

It's definitely dying out where I live. But going by my local FB group, it's because teens are realising that instead of wasting money buying packs of pokéballs to catch weedles round town, they can get cheap student rail tickets to Belfast where they can max out their inventory and catch more pokémon in an hour than they would in a whole weekend here. Another bunch of folk on there were heading to the coast for a beach BBQ/water pokémon catching party.

There's going to be an inevitable drop-off, but it seems the more dedicated people are getting smart and going where the pokémon are.

Dely Apple posted:

Anecdotal but dang, I'm 16 and every rear end in a top hat pokemon is at least 2 balls now. A CP 20ish Mankey didn't concede immediately. Small sample size on like 20 of them, but I'm not missing or anything.

I've noticed they seem to perform their attack animation a lot more often, which results in perfectly good throws bouncing off. It's definitely harder to catch mons. I've been level 23 for almost 2 weeks before the update, and still level 23 and there is a noticeable increase in the number of balls needed to catch even low-level spawns.

I think they've also changed something in the curveball dynamic. I had this down to a fine art, but now my muscle memory is causing me to miss throws all the time.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 31, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Cubey posted:

I can't really say anything bad about Gen 2 other than it being made obsolete by HG/SS, so v:shobon:v

If there's a bad thing about HG/SS, it's that the game corners suck in comparison.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cowman posted:

I'm jealous :3:

I've been collecting em since 2000 and just yesterday I found the one item that has eluded me for pretty much half my life. I don't even know what I'll do now that the chase is over. Take a nap on the finally completed Togepi pile, maybe? :3:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

widespread posted:

Except it wasn't you, it was just some nerd with a team almost like Ash's. In Black and White you got to fight Cynthia again though. Also Lilligant was in that gen so it's automatically great because she's a boss-rear end bitch.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Jynx are really common in my city, I've caught over 50 of them and have started to just ignore them when they pop up like I do with Drowzee. I was mad when one popped out of a 10 km egg.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Roro posted:

Except it wasn't you, it was just some nerd with a team almost like Ash's. In Black and White you got to fight Cynthia again though. Also Lilligant was in that gen so it's automatically great because she's a boss-rear end bitch.

Exactly, you fight you from Gen 1.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

widespread posted:

If there's a bad thing about HG/SS, it's that the game corners suck in comparison.

Voltorb Flip absolutely rocks though :confused:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

widespread posted:

I legit don't remember, do B&W2 include a match with yourself from B&W? I did eventhing in that game including beating Benga and I flat do not remember. Which I guess prolly means no...

Dahbadu posted:

Don't worry, a 10k egg can only hatch 10k stuff. You can get a Pinser from it, which is probably the worst thing. You may get an Eevee, but depending on your perception, that could be a good or bad thing (personally, I prefer not to get Eevees from 10k eggs).

Good to know. I hope as I slowly pull my level up I'll start to see more of them. I wouldn't be mad at an Eevee, I still need Jolteon.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gen 2 is like the best gen and has yet to be topped.

Gen 2 was great in the sense that it had some good base pokemon, but the later games that gave them evos were way better. Weavile, Honchkrow, Mismagius, Yanmega, Ambipom, Gliscor, Mamoswine, and Togekiss are all amazing and some of my all time favorites.

Gen 2 did give us a bunch of pre-evos though and most of them were adorable as hell. :3:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Cubey posted:

Voltorb Flip absolutely rocks though :confused:

I think I just preferred having the slots and that other game. I mean, if it didn't straight replace those, I'd probably agree more.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Jynx are really common in my city, I've caught over 50 of them and have started to just ignore them when they pop up like I do with Drowzee. I was mad when one popped out of a 10 km egg.

Jynx are the worst. Belfast is crawling with them. Even if I mulch all the weaker ones and power up the best, they're still poop in terms of CP. It's also full of Drowzees, but at least I can evolve them into a Hypno for exp a couple of times a week.

I've hatched 7 10km eggs now. 6 Eevees, 1 Snorlax. Eevees spawn near my house in the sticks, so I'd already gotten all 3 evolves not long after hatching the 2nd or 3rd one. But hey, I got my big ol' cuddly Snorlax :3:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cowman posted:

Huh, my memory is getting fuzzy. I attribute a lot of those (like xatu, misdreavus, magcargo) to Gen 3. Probably because they were so prevalent in the middle of the game. My knowledge of pokemon goes way downhill after Ruby/Sapphire. Until yesterday I forgot Diamond/Pearl, B/W and X/Y existed despite having played hundreds of hours between them.

e: Gen IV was lucario?? gently caress the newer games may as well be fever dreams to me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Waroduce posted:

Exactly. And those same dudes spend 5 bucks on pokeballs to catch some rare poo poo at a bar when they run out due to drunken throwing.

Haters can hate. My only gripe is low power mode being MIA, but whatever. The tracking thing sucks but it's still fun just wandering around anyways.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Furnaceface posted:

Gen 2 was great in the sense that it had some good base pokemon, but the later games that gave them evos were way better. Weavile, Honchkrow, Mismagius, Yanmega, Ambipom, Gliscor, Mamoswine, and Togekiss are all amazing and some of my all time favorites.

Gen 2 did give us a bunch of pre-evos though and most of them were adorable as hell. :3:

That's why you play the Gen IV remakes!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

frank.club posted:

what the gently caress...

?

Dahbadu posted:

I spent my first :10bux: today and bought a pokemon storage upgrade. Holy poo poo so nice! I can be in the groove, jogging a loop through lures and not have to worry about stopping and worrying that I'll grind away a middling CP but 100% IV pokemon. I spent a couple hours at the park today and ended up buying another storage upgrade.

I also bought 6 incubators because I want to churn through 5k eggs to hopefully RNG into some 10k eggs.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pokevision is down and their twitter makes it sound permanent. What happened? Are there any other similar sites that exist and I don't have to make the excellent career advancing decision to learn python for?

Niantic won the arms race, for now. Your best bet is to use something you run locally (but can access from mobile if you leave it running on your computer at home), I haven't tried AHAAAAAAA's mapping tool yet, but I'll bet it's more user-friendly than the early versions.

SonicRulez posted:

I've heard of Electabuzz and Magmar nests, but not Aerodactyls, but keep your ears open to see if anyone in your area has discovered one. Hopefully you have a local pokemon go facebook group.

Barring that, spend a lot of time at your local park or wherever the highest density of pokemon stops are. The Aerodactyl won't be guaranteed to show up even if you stay there for 30 hours a week, but at least there will hopefully be other people around you who can say "woah, Aerodactyl over here!" if one DOES spawn.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/pok-mon-go-creators-are-working-on-a-harry-potter/413628

quote:

Niantic have announced that they will be making Harry Potter Go following the success of their Pokémon game.

Since over 15 million users worldwide have downloaded Pokémon Go, fans of the J.K. Rowling books and films have been petitioning Warner Bros to create a Harry Potter game.

Hello Giggles reports that Niantic's senior developer Marcus Figueroa said the company had decided to create the game as "the demand for this title was absolutely insane, so we figured we'd give it a shot."

:nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Louisgod posted:

Still no level up after an hour of playing. How is this game so broken?
Are you sure you haven't received the rewards and just didn't see the notification?

• Locked thread