Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What are the details on him being a dropout? It makes his request to all universities everywhere even funnier to think that he couldn't even handle Chemistry 101 or microeconomics or whatever other cakewalks drunk 18-year-olds excel at while acting like human beings and not being fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essential Inks
May 10, 2013

by exmarx

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

A while ago NPR had a story of this blind guy who perfected his ability to use echolocation to get around, and he was driven to do this by a powerful drive to be independent that also left him with a crushing fear of getting close to people. He described having nightmares of "hands coming out of darkness and trying to hug me"

I should look this up and talk about it with my therapist.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

not being fat.

many succeed at those courses while still being fat, he has no excuse

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Yessssss, he captured the point in the Kristi Winters debate where he responded to a question that (in context) asked "What other analytical framework than feminism can you use to examine gender-related issues?" and his response was just "I don't know, I don't care."

Seriously of all the stupid poo poo Carlgon has said in his time as a D-list internet celebrity that has been the apex (or should I say nadir?) of his ideology.

It struck me that he probably just didn't understand the basic premise of the question. Like if pressed he would probably say the notion of an analytical framework goes against Science. Because you're acknowledging your own specific perspective on something, which isn't Objective.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

J_RBG posted:

It struck me that he probably just didn't understand the basic premise of the question. Like if pressed he would probably say the notion of an analytical framework goes against Science. Because you're acknowledging your own specific perspective on something, which isn't Objective.

That would be fair except the question was asked multiple times in multiple different ways and he dodged it every time until that one.

And afterwards she gave him examples of non-feminist frameworks and he still refused to pick one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Now I want to know what kind of problem could excuse that kind of behavior. Impulse control problems don't explain where the MRA content came from.

Paranoid schizophrenia, maybe? I can sure see that interacting nastily with MRA ideology. Maybe if you're in the wrong spot on the autistic spectrum, alternatively, and latched onto the wrong social rulebook to cover for your total lack of innate instincts for dealing with people.

Really, though, there's a lot of ways the human brain can go really badly wrong. Many of them will, indeed, result in you behaving like a total dick because you genuinely don't understand that that's what you're being.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

except dont these pricks hate the modern world. and want to live in some weird fascist/medieval society.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gavin Mcinnes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Essential Inks posted:

I should look this up and talk about it with my therapist.

It was this one, I'm pretty sure: http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/378577902/how-to-become-batman

I'm not sure why they call him batman when is power is literally the one daredevil has though

:goonsay:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

Paranoid schizophrenia, maybe? I can sure see that interacting nastily with MRA ideology. Maybe if you're in the wrong spot on the autistic spectrum, alternatively, and latched onto the wrong social rulebook to cover for your total lack of innate instincts for dealing with people.

Really, though, there's a lot of ways the human brain can go really badly wrong. Many of them will, indeed, result in you behaving like a total dick because you genuinely don't understand that that's what you're being.

Paranoid schizophrenics are especially vulnerable to falling in with a bad crowd. Maybe he just found a "support group" in a bunch of MRAs instead of Alex Jones Chemtrails types.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

except dont these pricks hate the modern world. and want to live in some weird fascist/medieval society.
They like modern technology, just not modern values. I think they want to live in that space feudalist society from Battletech.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Polybius91 posted:

They like modern technology, just not modern values. I think they want to live in that space feudalist society from Battletech.

They're also convinced that they'd thrive in said environment.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm not sure how we'd have ever developed modern technology as fast as we did without all the social and philosophical stuff that came from the renaissance and the enlightenment and the other things that directly led to modern society but I'm pretty sure they think technology / "hard" science just sort of happens in a vacuum separately from the rest of culture anyway

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Clearly she would be much better off had she received a few severe spankings followed by some nonconsensual sex from Scott Alexander.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tesseraction posted:

Seriously of all the stupid poo poo Carlgon has said in his time as a D-list internet celebrity that has been the apex (or should I say nadir?) of his ideology.

When it comes to Sargon, the apex and nadir are the same point.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I needed this.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

I'm not sure why they call him batman when is power is literally the one daredevil has though

Because bats use echolocation, you dingus.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm not sure how we'd have ever developed modern technology as fast as we did without all the social and philosophical stuff that came from the renaissance and the enlightenment and the other things that directly led to modern society but I'm pretty sure they think technology / "hard" science just sort of happens in a vacuum separately from the rest of culture anyway

It's the worldwiev of the videgame progress-bar. You unlock a project, you put resources into it until it's done and you unlock the next part of the tech-tree. No gaps in knowledge, no practical difficulties etc. Just "Do science - Get technology".
It's what happens when your thoughts about society are mainly informed by Civilization and Sim City.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Banning that milo kid from twitter seem to have really worked, I haven't heard his name for a while now.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

That would be fair except the question was asked multiple times in multiple different ways and he dodged it every time until that one.

And afterwards she gave him examples of non-feminist frameworks and he still refused to pick one.

I ... don't think Carlgon was wrong in that? You can say, "I believe (theoretical framework X) is flawed," and that doesn't put you on the hook to describe exactly what will replace it or where the replacement will come from at all. Of course, Carl Benjamin is not loving qualified to speak on the validity of feminism as an academic discipline, but that's not the point.

I though that part of the debate was an annoying stretch of them refusing so hard to acknowledge where the other person came from that they weren't able to talk intelligibly to each other at all, and it actually made Dr. Winters look a little worse because expectations are higher for an academic to justify and explain their field of study.

Could be my memory is off, but I remember thinking it boiled down to:

Dr. Winters: Feminism has done enough work to have a solid base, like evolution or Newtonian mechanics. It will be built upon but not supplanted.

Benjamin: No, it's a fad, and it will be subsumed into philosophy, mathematics, whatever.

The battleground there is not, "Well, which is it, philosophy or mathematics??" It's like, "No, it's solid because of (lectures)", or, "LOL what the gently caress do you even know about feminism really?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jippa posted:

Banning that milo kid from twitter seem to have really worked, I haven't heard his name for a while now.

The joy of it all is you posting this is the first time I'd heard of him since that "I'm with the Banned" bit by Laurie Penny. Googling around it seems his MASTER PLAN for new controversy is... requesting his user data from Twitter under a private information request written into European Law (he's going via Twitter's Dublin HQ).

What does he expect to find? Database entries saying "THIS IS THE TWEET WE WILL USE TO DESTROY THIS POWERFUL CONSERVATIVE FIREBRAND, EVEN THOUGH IT DOES NOT BREAK OUR RULES"?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sax Solo posted:

I ... don't think Carlgon was wrong in that? You can say, "I believe (theoretical framework X) is flawed," and that doesn't put you on the hook to describe exactly what will replace it or where the replacement will come from at all. Of course, Carl Benjamin is not loving qualified to speak on the validity of feminism as an academic discipline, but that's not the point.

I though that part of the debate was an annoying stretch of them refusing so hard to acknowledge where the other person came from that they weren't able to talk intelligibly to each other at all, and it actually made Dr. Winters look a little worse because expectations are higher for an academic to justify and explain their field of study.

Could be my memory is off, but I remember thinking it boiled down to:

Dr. Winters: Feminism has done enough work to have a solid base, like evolution or Newtonian mechanics. It will be built upon but not supplanted.

Benjamin: No, it's a fad, and it will be subsumed into philosophy, mathematics, whatever.

The battleground there is not, "Well, which is it, philosophy or mathematics??" It's like, "No, it's solid because of (lectures)", or, "LOL what the gently caress do you even know about feminism really?"

Oh I agree she didn't always hold her arguments to a formal debate standard, it's more that she's arguing with someone so far off the standards that I would probably have dropped into dunking on him too. I would say 'to my discredit' but really his entire contributions to that debate were simply bizarre. The opening statements being her giving a valid and good faith definition of feminism and explanation of how she comes to the conclusion that it's a force for good in the world.

Then he pops in with COLLEGE CAMPUSES SJWS WOMEN ARE OVER-PRIVILEGED ALREADY. At that point I just lamented that the debate would not be an interesting examination of the anti-feminist perspective but a bloated beardlord being a dick for 90 minutes.

At that point where she asks "well which is it?" I have a feeling she was cheekily leading him into rhetorical bear traps to show how ridiculous he was. Poor formal debate form, but leads to funnier quotes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
In fairness, he was the one who suggested that there are other theoretical approaches in a vague insinuation that she thinks the one she uses is just her favorite one and she's ignoring other options. Asking "Like what?" is completely fair at that point.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He was also doing really rude poo poo like clapping and playing an invisible violin whenever she was speaking.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

GunnerJ posted:

In fairness, he was the one who suggested that there are other theoretical approaches in a vague insinuation that she thinks the one she uses is just her favorite one and she's ignoring other options. Asking "Like what?" is completely fair at that point.

That wasn't even a difficult question, and his response of "I don't care" showed everything that needed to be shown. He doesn't know enough about theoretical frameworks on a concept level to be able to reasonably say what is wrong with feminism.

He didn't need to suggest a competing framework or a 'correct' one. He just needed to display that he knew that other frameworks even exist beyond his personal source-of-all-evil boogeyman. And he couldn't even manage that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Doesn't BattleTech itself even sort of address this, with no major advances in technology having happened in around 600 years?

(well except the Clans, but the Clans are such a mass of total stupidity that that's the least of their believability issues)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I’m The Peter Thiel Of The Incel/FA/FU/WizardChan/etc. Community

If A Man Can Be Defined In Relation To His Enemies, Peter Thiel And I Are Saints

Note: Either one of these would be excellent alternate titles for the thread.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Going Green Will Not Get You Laid Because Of The Just World Fallacy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Polybius91 posted:

They like modern technology, just not modern values. I think they want to live in that space feudalist society
How do they feel about making machines in the likeness of a man's mind?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pretty sure they can't do that. In some ways BattleTech computers are worse than modern ones.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It is by triumph of the will alone that they set their minds in motion.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

I thought they were *for* savage suicide at the breakfast table as a way for Men to Go Their Own Way?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Space Poodle posted:

I thought they were *for* savage suicide at the breakfast table as a way for Men to Go Their Own Way?

I'm sure this person could fill 500 pages elucidating their differences from MGTOW

It wouldn't mean much to anyone else but they probably could

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Those bitches and their loving hunting and gathering keeping man from having enough time to discover agriculture :argh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tesseraction posted:

The joy of it all is you posting this is the first time I'd heard of him since that "I'm with the Banned" bit by Laurie Penny. Googling around it seems his MASTER PLAN for new controversy is... requesting his user data from Twitter under a private information request written into European Law (he's going via Twitter's Dublin HQ).

What does he expect to find? Database entries saying "THIS IS THE TWEET WE WILL USE TO DESTROY THIS POWERFUL CONSERVATIVE FIREBRAND, EVEN THOUGH IT DOES NOT BREAK OUR RULES"?
He probably wants to release the identities or tags or whatever of people who reported or blocked him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Peter Thiel literally wants to harvest the blood of young people in order to prolong his own life.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When Peter Thiel dies of old age it is going to be hilarious.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
""I suspect we're a little too biased against all these things in society," he told me."

Peter Thiel or ancient vampire explaining why it's okay he drinks the blood of virgins once every fortnight? The best argument against immortality is the people who are most desperate for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Night10194 posted:

When Peter Thiel dies of old age it is going to be hilarious.

I don't like desires like these, but I hope he gets early-onset Alzheimer's or AIDS, but lives a normal lifespan that ends up just being really expensive or unenjoyable. Maybe the AIDS can come from a black-market transfusion purchased from an Indian or Pakistani blood farm.