Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of Journey to the West, I find it great that there's been 6 movies out of China based on it in 4 years, including next year's sequel to Conquering the Demons. I should get about to watching that, I loved the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

Maybe this is what you're referencing, but Snyder has a copy of the Washington Crossing the Delaware painting in his office and he points to it as the motivation for why he wants to make the movie.

Robot Chicken was just telling the truth? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTcVNuNX8yY

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Vegetable posted:

Sometimes I literally have no idea what you're trying to say.

The film is "propagandistic" -- what idea is it propagating?

The film is a political "whitewash" -- what is being deliberately concealed?

Wu "ostensibly" complains about the lack of affirmative action -- ostensibly suggests that the subject is acting under false pretences. What is she really complaining about then?

The international superpowers are engaging in a sort of "mutual confirmation" -- what is each of them confirming?

US's relationship with communism is being "reworked" -- how so? What was it before and what is it after? Same questions for China's relationship with American orientalism.

You're clearly investing effort in these posts and are trying to start a meaningful discussion, and I'm genuinely trying to engage, but I really wish it didn't involve a sentence-by-sentence speculation of what you really meant.

In this age where we literally have a presidential candidate calling for the construction of a wall shoring off our borders from rapists and drug lords, does the propagandistic implication of this film really not occur to you?

The point is that Wu is only ostensibly criticizing a lack of diversity in an regressive, imperialist fantasy because she does not in fact see the work as anything other than a tropic narrative. She reads the point as being that Matt Damon is a 'white savior,' and asks "Why can't the militaristic savior be a POC?" The real question is why would this have been the case? She overlooks that the ethno-national distinction between Damon, Pascal, Dafoe and the Chinese cast is the point, that Damon is not saving the Other, but standing in for the dominant subjective of the American imaginary and assisting this projection of the Chinese national imaginary in fortifying their own 'pure' ethno-nation against 'invasion.'

If we imagine for a second that The Great Wall has no revisionist white protagonist, or, indeed, no Western characters at all, regardless of ethno-national identity, what does this do to redeem the Other? Realize, that China Film Group and its interests are not the Other in this scenario. The Other are the dragons, the 'Mongoloid races' that threaten the rightful manifestation of Western and Eastern 'civilization.' We need to work together to fight 'the real enemy.'

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

kiimo posted:

The monsters are just a thinly veiled racist representation of Mongolians.

Start the rumor.

if that's the case, what about the mongolians singing Adele in Skiptrace?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

K. Waste posted:

In this age where we literally have a presidential candidate calling for the construction of a wall shoring off our borders from rapists and drug lords, does the propagandistic implication of this film really not occur to you?

The point is that Wu is only ostensibly criticizing a lack of diversity in an regressive, imperialist fantasy because she does not in fact see the work as anything other than a tropic narrative. She reads the point as being that Matt Damon is a 'white savior,' and asks "Why can't the militaristic savior be a POC?" The real question is why would this have been the case? She overlooks that the ethno-national distinction between Damon, Pascal, Dafoe and the Chinese cast is the point, that Damon is not saving the Other, but standing in for the dominant subjective of the American imaginary and assisting this projection of the Chinese national imaginary in fortifying their own 'pure' ethno-nation against 'invasion.'

If we imagine for a second that The Great Wall has no revisionist white protagonist, or, indeed, no Western characters at all, regardless of ethno-national identity, what does this do to redeem the Other? Realize, that China Film Group and its interests are not the Other in this scenario. The Other are the dragons, the 'Mongoloid races' that threaten the rightful manifestation of Western and Eastern 'civilization.' We need to work together to fight 'the real enemy.'
I'm going to set aside the idea that dragons are in any way meaningfully comparable to racist caricatures and clarify, again: Who's propagating this comparison? "Propaganda" suggests somebody is selling their agenda. Who actively engineered and benefited from a story about walls keeping "the Others" out? And let's keep things grounded in fact: production started in 2014, long before Trump's wall proposal gained any popularity.

I still have absolutely no idea what your last two paragraphs are trying to say. What is the "American imaginary"? What is the "Chinese national imaginary"? What is the "rightful manifestation of Western and Eastern civilization," as the film asserts?

Also, you're missing Wu's point entirely (not to mention butchering the use of ostensibly over and over again). Of course the film could be enmeshed in whatever ethno-national subtext you're imagining. That doesn't preclude her point that this is a Hollywood co-financed production that invents ahistorical scenarios just to parachute white saviors into the picture. She has no interest in whether this makes sense for the particular story, the market, or the powers that be; she's taking the broader view and reading this film within the history of Hollywood racism.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Gosh I can't wait to see this!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm the guy laying on the floor behind the lockers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nice to see

is still getting work.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vegetable posted:

Who's propagating this comparison? "Propaganda" suggests somebody is selling their agenda. Who actively engineered and benefited from a story about walls keeping "the Others" out?

Man everything you're asking is answered in the posts you've quoted.

K. Waste already wrote that the entities making the film - Universal Pictures, 乐视影业, and 中国电影集团公司 - are neoliberal, pushing for globalization. The narrative of the film - white dude helps build a great wall in China to keep out the mongol hordes - is an outgrowth of the partnership between the white dudes at Comcast/NBCUniversal and China Film Group Corporation (which is run by the Chinese state).

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 2, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Man everything you're asking is answered in the posts you've quoted.

K. Waste already wrote that the entities making the film - Universal Pictures, 乐视影业, and 中国电影集团公司 - are neoliberal, pushing for globalization. The narrative of the film - white dude helps build a great wall in China to keep out the mongol hordes - is an outgrowth of the partnership between the white dudes at Comcast/NBCUniversal and China Film Group Corporation (which is run by the Chinese state).
The only statement about neoliberalism was in this garble of a sentence: "What is occurring in neoliberal discourse is essentially the spirit of mutual confirmation between international superpowers, basically the tacit 'free market' re-working of both the U.S.'s relationship with Communism as well as China's relationship with the U.S.'s orientalism."

That said, your clarification makes sense. My problem isn't with the argument, which is thoughtful, but with the expression, which was genuinely messing my head up.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 2, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

falz posted:

Looks like a quality production.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

falz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtMmpHFTMnU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

people who make comments on youtube videos will watch anything huh

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vegetable posted:

The only statement about neoliberalism was in this garble of a sentence: "What is occurring in neoliberal discourse is essentially the spirit of mutual confirmation between international superpowers, basically the tacit 'free market' re-working of both the U.S.'s relationship with Communism as well as China's relationship with the U.S.'s orientalism."

That said, your clarification makes sense. My problem isn't with the argument, which is thoughtful, but with the expression, which was genuinely messing my head up.

That sentence is really pretty clear. Great Wall is China appropriating orientalist imagery and using it to sell authoritarian capitalism ("capitalism with Asian values") back to the US. As Zizek notes: "It's a supreme ironic fact that where today communists still in power, they are the most efficient ruthless managers of capitalism. The ideal place to be a capitalist is China: they control trade unions and guarantee workers will not rebel." In this context, the basic 'wall' imagery is unmistakable:

"People say our society is becoming global: Berlin Wall fell down. Yes, but new walls are emerging everywhere, even literally. United States and Mexico, Israel and West Bank. And so on. [...] [Peter Slotterdijk] said that globalism doesn't mean we are all in one big global society, he said that globe also means globe in the sense of cupola, grouping us and isolating us from the rest. Like he was probably referring to films like Elysium, where the privileged elite live under a protective cupola. And this is more and more our situation today. Go to LA: you have the symbolic cupola of Hollywood, Santa Monica, and then you have Inglewood, and literally if you are within the privileged part you are rationally aware there are slums but you don't really see them, they are not part of your world. You just become aware of them when violent riots, protests, explode."
-Zizek

Great Wall is Elysium from the perspective of the Elysians, and it seems unlikely that it'll be conducive to being read as satire. The slums are 'what they are trying to keep out.' And the joke is that liberals in the US embrace this as a solid example of multiculturalism, with the only concern being that it's not multicultural enough.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

I want to see Gary Busey play the coach like in that episode of Tom Goes to the Mayor and hurl cutting abuse at everyone involved in the scene, including the crew. Fifteen minutes of Busey angrily ranting about how poo poo the movie is would be the only thing that could make it watchable.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Millions of Crows posted:

I want to see Gary Busey play the coach like in that episode of Tom Goes to the Mayor and hurl cutting abuse at everyone involved in the scene, including the crew. Fifteen minutes of Busey angrily ranting about how poo poo the movie is would be the only thing that could make it watchable.

I loved Busey's insistence that Eric fire Tim from his own show and that Busey didn't remain cooperative long enough to take the various still poses required for the animation style, so they just put his face on Eric's body.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nice to see the 4th Doctor's regeneration getting some much needed high school zany hijinks experience between companions.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love when comics do movie homage covers. This mini-series came out a while ago, but I still dig these covers.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

The best homage/parody(?) poster ever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, that's what I immediately thought of.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cebulski/Moline/Strain really like John Hughes movies, huh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DC did a similr movie variant month last year.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Cebulski/Moline/Strain really like John Hughes movies, huh

Yeah, I was about to ask, where's the other non-Hughes '80s teen movies like Tuff Turf...

...or The Sure Thing...

...or Better Off Dead

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They loved the Scarface poster... WITH A VENGEANCE.

e: and since we're on the subject of homages.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/lookalike-movie-posters

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 2, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

DC did a similr movie variant month last year.

While some of these are okay (and the Green Lantern one is cool,) the Sinestro one is kind of stupid.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

And then there was this one by Frank Quitely when he was working with Grant Morrison on Batman And Robin a few years ago.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

muscles like this? posted:

While some of these are okay (and the Green Lantern one is cool,) the Sinestro one is kind of stupid.

It seems really low effort. Like they didn't even try to make it relevant.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

That has to be the lowest effort Home Alone face ever made in showbiz.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think that's less "Home Alone" and more "I've never seen a dick this big but I'm a prostitute and completely have but that's not important".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've never seen this show but I'm gaga for Lizzie Caplan so I might search for it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Inzombiac posted:

I've never seen this show but I'm gaga for Lizzie Caplan so I might search for it.

She gets oggled by a gorilla, this is a plot point. A serious plot point.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Poster Six-Pack: A Bunch of Stuff Edition

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

This show has been around for a few seasons now. How's it doing? Does it fall to the Showtime curse of every show of theirs turning to absolute crap after a couple of seasons? (I know Dexter had 4 excellent seasons, but after that...)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

kiimo posted:

I think that's less "Home Alone" and more "I've never seen a dick this big but I'm a prostitute and completely have but that's not important".
It's also my face when the word sex right there in the TV series' title is supposed to be a big deal or something.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Nihonniboku posted:

This show has been around for a few seasons now. How's it doing? Does it fall to the Showtime curse of every show of theirs turning to absolute crap after a couple of seasons? (I know Dexter had 4 excellent seasons, but after that...)

Eh...it's uneven. The first season is genuinely excellent. It doesn't feel like Showtime tried to do anything particularly salacious with it after that, but it doesn't feel like it quite has enough story to keep going the way it has. However it does still have great peaks and some really good performances, but for me its never been as good as it was with S1.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Poster Six-Pack: A Bunch of Stuff Edition

That Incubus image is pretty great, and the director also did...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010