Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Anyone that doesn't follow PPP on twitter is missing out on their sick burns.

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/760233430550474753?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
His persistent ability to manufacture horrifying gaffes might be damaging Trump, but, even if that's the case, that's still glossing over the fact that a fascist white supremacist is the Republican candidate, and they refuse to meaningfully disavow him. This seems like a missing the forest for the trees kind of scenario.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is prison rape anywhere close to the same level of horror in Federal prisons as it is in the State prisons run by for-profit companies? Either way they never think that far ahead they just think of how they will be glorious patriot John Rambo gunning through those dumb government mooks like Tarp Man believed right up until he was shot by LEOs.

I think its because so many lawyers end up in club fed that its actually way safer for inmates there, due to all the lawsuits.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Riosan posted:

There is no pivot. Trump can give about one boring teleprompter speech, but then when he inevitably realizes that the news cycle isn't about him and that his fanbase finds those speeches boring, he just goes off on some batshit tangent. This has happened at least twice, last I checked.

Yeah, this is what I meant. He can't do it. Even if he could, it probably wouldn't help.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Axeface posted:

His persistent ability to manufacture horrifying gaffes might be damaging Trump, but, even if that's the case, that's still glossing over the fact that a fascist white supremacist is the Republican candidate, and they refuse to meaningfully disavow him. This seems like a missing the forest for the trees kind of scenario.

Who the hell is shocked by that, though?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DemeaninDemon posted:

Those voter suppression tactics are being owned in court at least.
They're still allowing the poo poo like truncating early/mail in voting and limiting voting access times though. I don't think that's been challenged.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Either way they never think that far ahead they just think of how they will be glorious patriot John Rambo gunning through those dumb government mooks like Tarp Man believed right up until he was shot by LEOs.

No, they are old and fat and scared, they aren't sacking up to do that. Every time a handful of these dudes actually do have a psychotic break and try something, nobody ever flocks to them in massive numbers to really stick it to the man. That handful just gets stomped and everyone goes back to their garage to pack up their bug out bag and ruminate on the upcoming social apocalypse.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TyrantWD posted:

Unless Trump does something to trigger mass revocations of endorsements, he is not hurting himself. The people who support him don't care what he says or does. When high profile supporters walk back endorsements and signal to uneasy Trump voters that it's ok to stay home in November, that's when he will have done meaningful damage. None of this matters until Trumps garbage causes him to lose support, and so far none of his controversies have moved the polls by more than 2 points, which is really just noise.

If we get a poll next week showing Trump down by double digits and a huge number of vets/vet families/active military start abandoning Trump, I'll agree with you, but nothing we have seen so far has suggested that will happen. Next week will likely see some of Hillary's convention bounce cool off and polls tighten rather than widen.

You understand that he can't actually win the election with just the die hard supporters he currently has right? Like, if his goal is to win the election and he keeps alienating people who aren't currently on board then he is actively hurting his ability to win the election?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

They're still allowing the poo poo like truncating early/mail in voting and limiting voting access times though. I don't think that's been challenged.

I'm pretty sure the NC law that was just found to have discriminatory intent included limits to early voting.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well I didn't expect such a crazy swing in the polls; however, one thing dawned on me today as I tuned out politics on my way back to work:

All the horrid, terrifying poo poo that Trump says aside, I'm sick of how much of a whiny little bitch he is. Always complaining about how he's treated, how CNN is unfair, how people treat him badly. Grow the gently caress up, Donald. I know there's a disturbingly high floor to his support, but I have to think that irritation at incessant bitching is one thing that cuts across party lines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

No, that was part of the strike down. It was specifically called out by the judge.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

In a gently caress You of unrivaled proportions, Hilary Clinton nominates Khizr Khan to Supreme Court on Day 1 of her administration. :getin:

Nah, that would be nominating Obama to the Supreme Court. Haven't heard any discussion about that in a while.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kobayashi posted:

Well I didn't expect such a crazy swing in the polls; however, one thing dawned on me today as I tuned out politics on my way back to work:

All the horrid, terrifying poo poo that Trump says aside, I'm sick of how much of a whiny little bitch he is. Always complaining about how he's treated, how CNN is unfair, how people treat him badly. Grow the gently caress up, Donald. I know there's a disturbingly high floor to his support, but I have to think that irritation at incessant bitching is one thing that cuts across party lines.
His supporters are also whiny, even if they do have one big legitimate thing to whine about (all the money/jobs getting away from them) along with, you know, all the horrible racist poo poo.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Federal judge today blocked North Dakota from tightening voter ID laws after American Indians accused it of disenfranchising them.

drat. It's just like hit after hi against disenfranchisement; could these small wins mean big swing states like FL are also liable to get smacked?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

His supporters are also whiny, even if they do have one big legitimate thing to whine about (all the money/jobs getting away from them) along with, you know, all the horrible racist poo poo.

Yeah, no disagreement there. But I'm starting to think that his whininess is what will finally turn off post-factual Republicans who currently lean Trump out of spite for Hillary or "because both are equally bad."

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Violator posted:

Nah, that would be nominating Obama to the Supreme Court. Haven't heard any discussion about that in a while.

Michelle would blow a gasket.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Federal judge today blocked North Dakota from tightening voter ID laws after American Indians accused it of disenfranchising them.

drat. It's just like hit after hi against disenfranchisement; could these small wins mean big swing states like FL are also liable to get smacked?

It'd probably be 4-4d in scotus. So yeah maybe.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

NippleFloss posted:

You understand that he can't actually win the election with just the die hard supporters he currently has right? Like, if his goal is to win the election and he keeps alienating people who aren't currently on board then he is actively hurting his ability to win the election?

Trump has a lot of unwavering support from Republicans who disagree with just about everything he says, but want to defeat Hillary. People thought he alienated too many people to become the Republican nominee, then they said he alienated too many people to be competitive in the general election, but if the election were held last week we would have President Trump.

Previous controversies haven't stuck, and this latest controversy isn't affecting his support any differently than those issues which everyone was certain would be Trump's breaking point.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nessus posted:

On the one hand it really is a shame that there are people out there who want to find meaningful work and can't. On the other hand there are a lot of people leaving college with degrees in humanities or social sciences who can't find work either and the response from republicans is to say "maybe you should have picked a REAL major, hippie," and roll their eyes at the audacity of not being a STEMlord. So perhaps the correct response is "maybe you should have learned a real skill instead of being a coal miner," <makes jerkoff motion with his hand>.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

if the election were held last week we would have President Trump.

No we wouldn't have. That isn't how the election works or what the polling means. Hillary Clinton doesn't win by default if her polling is higher either.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Am I the only one turned off by the last day of the convention? I was ready to bite the bullet and vote Hillary until it became a celebration of Hawks, soldiers, neocons, religious wackjobs and Republicans with Davis Brooks visibly masturbating on PBS.

Why would I ever want to vote for that ticket?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yes they are. He's attacking the military, one of the sacred cows of the right.

Shbobdb posted:

Am I the only one turned off by the last day of the convention? I was ready to bite the bullet and vote Hillary until it became a celebration of Hawks, soldiers, neocons, religious wackjobs and Republicans with Davis Brooks visibly masturbating on PBS.

I'm not sure we watched the same speeches. Allen's was weird but Hillary's actual speech was very left. It also had Khan's amazing denunciation.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 2, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Edit: Double post gently caress.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Have Some Flowers! posted:

I think it benefits the media (ratings, eyeballs, political ad-buys) to keep this a horse race if they can. The attention will swing back.

I don't know, at this point it might benefit the media more to keep focusing on Donald's fuckups until he finally has a complete meltdown in public. Just think of how spectacular that would be to watch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Somehow I get the suspicion this is not an honest post. I wonder what makes me think that?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Somehow I get the suspicion this is not an honest post. I wonder what makes me think that?
This thread is racist. There was plenty of enthusiasm for the war in Iraq within African American and Latino Americans. People need to get out of their all white bubbles and realize that retroactive opposition to the War is just white privilege.

Hillary did nothing wrong.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

uPen posted:

How do you convince someone to show up to vote, not vote for Trump and then vote for the Senator that endorsed him 6 months ago.

FuzzySlippers posted:

If Republicans are feeling a huge loss on the horizon will they turn it into a rout by abandoning Trump to save themselves?

I mean there has to be a point where Republicans want to win their local elections and have to say "okay, I know you are showing up to vote Hillary but please vote for me and not the D candidate I swear I'm not crazy like Trump".

Focusing on local races doesn't mean saying "don't vote Trump" it means pouring money into mailers that feature the local candidate and don't say a word about the Donald.

sarmhan posted:

Same. Now-cast is still a bizarre thing to have so visible though.

No, it's smart. The Poll-ercoaster is what brings clicks. Hillary moving 5 points on the NowCast drives clicks, while Hillary moving 0.5% on the future forecasts is boring as poo poo.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I won't believe it's over until Hillary swears in.

I won't believe it's over until the Pretender Rebels are crushed, but I might be playing too much CK2.

FuzzySlippers posted:

It’s Official: There Is No Trap Donald Trump Won’t Fall For I've never heard of redstate.com before but the despair here is pretty funny.

They try to be the DailyKos of the right but they're not as big.

potato of destiny posted:

Well, it's the first day of a brand new month, and that means it's time for Trump to burn down his entire campaign again.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/760267388575113216

Let's be realistic here - the folks who organized that convention didn't do the world's greatest job. Like maybe it wasn't really their fault (I completely buy the idea that Trump was micromanaging or something) but it's not shocking that after a disastrous convention the guys who put it on got canned.

SweetAsselin posted:

All this talk about the system being rigged is cause for concern. With Trump whiping up his base into a frenzy and convincing them that they've been cheated and their freedom is at stake.... how does this not result in post election violence? And if there IS mass disobedience and violence... will Trump be held accountable? What happens if he's arrested? Does he become a martyr? :stonk:

Trump would only be liable if his speech encourages imminent lawless action. So it's quite easy for him to whip folks into a frenzy without getting into legal trouble (but then again if this election has taught us anything it's that his totally capable of going too far).

speng31b posted:

Yes, and his own party condemning him, even couched in softened terms or aside equal condemnations of Hillary, damages him. It is damaging him even now. Polls are showing it. Anecdote is showing it. I'm not sure what else you want. You can't say this isn't damaging him.

Even beyond how much it's actually hurting him, it's hurting him because he has like 14 weeks until the election and he's the one losing. Every day that Trump isn't gaining ground with American voters he's making his job that much harder.

sarmhan posted:

I'm not sure we watched the same speeches. Allen's was weird but Hillary's actual speech was very left. It also had Khan's amazing denunciation.

I feel like most of Allen's speech was about us sticking with our allies. It's not like he was advocating going on random offensive wars or anything.

But I agree that the USA USA USA chants (to block out the Bernie chants) made it seem extra jingoistic.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

Previous controversies haven't stuck, and this latest controversy isn't affecting his support any differently than those issues which everyone was certain would be Trump's breaking point.

They've all stuck. There is a reason his ceiling has been 44% for basically the whole cycle, and that's because he keeps making it impossible for anyone but his die hard supporters to vote for him. The only time things were close it was because Hillary's numbers tanked. He's not going to win the election with 44% of the vote and he can't get more because he's constantly bogged down in gaffes and scandals.

It's really weird to say "the guy who has been constantly alienating people and coincidentally is also losing in nearly every poll for the entire cycle, and has the lowest favorability rating for a candidate ever, isn't actually hurt by anything!"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

I'm in a bad position. I get called a shitposter when I'm being honest and reasonable when I'm being hyperbolic.

I stopped watching the convention after the "I'm a Republican for Hillary" and the "Blut und Boden" speeches. Khan's speech in between notwithstanding the point had been made.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

I'm in a bad position. I get called a shitposter when I'm being honest and reasonable when I'm being hyperbolic.

I stopped watching the convention after the "I'm a Republican for Hillary" and the "Blut und Boden" speeches. Khan's speech in between notwithstanding the point had been made.

Ok if you're being honest, who was the "religious wackjob" on the last night?

And I'm also curious how that person more of a "religious wackjob" than the other religious speakers on the other nights?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Me: Hey don what do you got there?
Trump: Just some radical Islamic terrorism preventing wall building crooked Hillary original recipe.
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/760299757206208512

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Metapod posted:

Trump: Just some radical Islamic terrorism preventing wall building crooked Hillary original recipe.

Can't even pretend he might eat it with his hands like an American

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Metapod posted:

How long until he posts:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Ah yes, comparing the speechs to nazis. This will convince people that you're honest.
Also do you not see the point of the 'republican for hillary' speeches at all? Her platform hasn't changed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Why would you give a poo poo about how the DNC whored themselves out. It has no bearing on how Hillary governs once she's elected. She's not all of a sudden beholden to Republicans now that one spoke at the convention.

When people start clutching their pearls about the political process, I just assume they're either super naive or it's their first election.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Metapod posted:

I'm honestly shocked that this photo isn't an attempt at trying to be nice to African Americans.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Can't even pretend he might eat it with his hands like an American

Relevant! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2vtv53mQeE

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That photo sure does a good job of bringing his old and white to the forefront.

Also his bald.

I thought that embellishment on the headcushion was his tan-n-spray leaking.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm honestly shocked that this photo isn't an attempt at trying to be nice to African Americans.

I assume he assumes they'll just "get it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Wouldn't it be more traditional to do your photo op with food from some local favorite place to show you're down with the local scene?

Or is this an "omg a billionaire eats KFC, Just Like Us!"

• Locked thread