Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Ignoring Merrick Garland for a second and assuming Hillary wins in November...how are the Republicans going to react if she gets 2 - 3 other SCOTUS appointments? This theoretically is an opportunity to dramatically shift the court left but I can't imagine they'll allow that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The phrase just keeps repeating in my head.

The wind kills all your birds.

All your birds. Killed.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 2, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bowser posted:

Ignoring Merrick Garland for a second and assuming Hillary wins in November...how are the Republicans going to react if she gets 2 - 3 other SCOTUS appointments? This theoretically is an opportunity to dramatically shift the court left but I can't imagine they'll allow that to happen.

Won't matter if the Dems get the Senate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bowser posted:

If Democrats can get a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate (a beautiful dream, but hypothetically possible), it doesn't matter what the Republicans let happen.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

I'd heard KFC farts were bad...

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

All your bids. Killed.

Invite Trump into your bunker. Call (800)555-0199.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

bowser posted:

Refuse to consider any of her nominees if they still control the senate and filibuster if they don't?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

All your bids. Killed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Harrow posted:

If Democrats can get a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate (a beautiful dream, but hypothetically possible), it doesn't matter what the Republicans let happen.

Not even that, they got rid of filibuster requirements for everyone but SCOTUS appointments back in like 2012. And that was without a filibuster proof majority, so if they get a majority they can change the rules however they like.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Refuse to consider any of her nominees if they still control the senate and filibuster if they don't?

It'll be fiiiiiiine, not a Constitutional Crisis until the last scotus justice dies

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/760317196748857344?lang=en

kinda figured this was going to happen. should have stuck with the Taco Bowl

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Georgia will be the next of the Southern bloc to fall after North Carolina. Atlanta is dominating the population and its only going to continue.

I am interested in seeing what happens in Texas in a generation

I'm interested to see what happens this year. Abbot turned out to be a full blown psychopath, the tea party have spent the past two years going batshit crazy and the oil price collapse revealed all the problems caused by decades of cutting budgets and the social safety net , then covering every deficit by jacking up the sales tax.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Harrow posted:

Doesn't even matter as long as they can get 50, and Tim Kaine gets to show up and hold the gavel for a while and do bad Trump impressions while he merrily tie-breaks the filibuster into submission and elevates three twenty-year-old clones of Ruth Bader Ginsberg to the bench.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It'll be fiiiiiiine, not a Constitutional Crisis until the last scotus justice dies

Just to be pedantic, they need six members to form a quorum. So once we lose three more we hit constitutional crisis.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Spiffster posted:

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/760317196748857344?lang=en

kinda figured this was going to happen. should have stuck with the Taco Bowl

Be careful, dorky Patton, or I will spill the beans on your wife!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Please god let "the wind kills all your birds" become a thing.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Just to be pedantic, they need six members to form a quorum. So once we lose three more we hit constitutional crisis.

In that case, wouldn't all cases just be pretty much automatically remanded back to the court of appeals, just like when the SCOTUS refuses to take a case at any other time? To be equally pedantic, I'm not sure that rises to the level of crisis because there are procedures for when SCOTUS can't or won't take a case. But there are no procedures for when the SCOTUS literally doesn't exist

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 2, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

In that case, wouldn't all cases just be pretty much automatically remanded back to the court of appeals, just like when the SCOTUS refuses to take a case at any other time? To be equally pedantic, I'm not sure that rises to the level of crisis because there are procedures for when SCOTUS can't or won't take a case. But there are no procedures for when SCOTUS literally doesn't exist - who swears in the President?

Well, any judge can swear in the President, it happens whenever a President dies and their VP has to take the oath of office right away. The real difficulty would come if there was a high-profile original jurisdiction case.

e: Or if there's an impeachment, since the Constitution says the Chief Justice shall preside. Can't do that if there's no Chief Justice!

Quorum fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 2, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Harrow posted:

if dems control the senate, schumer can just nuke the fillibuster

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Quorum posted:

Well, any judge can swear in the President, it happens whenever a President dies and their VP has to take the oath of office right away. The real difficulty would come if there was a high-profile original jurisdiction case.

Yeah, I edited that out because I remembered that LBJ didn't have a supreme court justice around. Is there any constitutional reason that a high-profile original jurisdiction case would have to be taken care of by the SCOTUS, or could it theoretically get handled by the next-highest ranking court with the SCOTUS automatically affirming that court's decision by automatically refusing to take the case?

Do we really need the supreme court?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Yeah, I edited that out because I remembered that LBJ didn't have a supreme court justice around. Is there any constitutional reason that a high-profile original jurisdiction case would have to be taken care of by the SCOTUS, or could it theoretically get handled by the next-highest ranking court with the SCOTUS automatically affirming that court's decision by automatically refusing to take the case?

Yeah I edited my post with the other thing that only the SCOTUS can do: the Chief Justice must preside over impeachment trials. Presumably if that can't happen, you can't convict an impeached officer.

And no, if there's no SCOTUS, original jurisdiction cases just... can't get heard. At least, those which aren't under concurrent jurisdiction (like those involving ambassadors, which can be heard either in SCOTUS or in a lower court). That's pretty much limited to cases between states. So cases involving things like land disputes between states go unresolved, at least by the justice system.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 2, 2016

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Eh, we'd start breaking down with the different appeals courts reached different affirmed rulings. Interstate trade and contracts start becoming difficult to reliably set up and we probably see some kind of implosion, but it'd probably take a good while.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mods, please change the topic to USPOL August: Wind kills all your birds

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Quorum posted:

Yeah I edited my post with the other thing that only the SCOTUS can do: the Chief Justice must preside over impeachment trials. Presumably if that can't happen, you can't convict an impeached officer.

I took a look at the Constitution and it looks like that applies only to the impeachment of the president. Creating the obvious question of who else might be qualified to preside over the impeachment of, say, the VP, and how that person might be chosen. Does the senate or the house get to choose a friendly justice?

"The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like it's only a matter of time until it's every thread's title.

It's so oddly hypnotic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like it's only a matter of time until it's every thread's title.

It's so oddly hypnotic.

All your birds.

Killed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

All your birds. Killed.

it's like something you'd read in a lovely zombie story

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
Off the Menu is a weekly blog posting emails from servers/cooks/bartenders about their terrible, terrible customers. Not a usual place to find political stories, but this week's post had a story of Mitch McConnell going into an Olive Garden with some local politicians:

"Off the Menu posted:

A majority of the guys ordered the unlimited lunch soup, salad, and breadsticks (excuse me while I have some PTSD flashbacks about the goddamn unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks), which, goddammit, you're here on the dime of someone backed by the Koch brothers, order real food! Or better yet, go somewhere nicer.

Once the salad and breadsticks hit the table, all hell broke loose in the form of getting one-itemed by these guys. It got so bad with that many men eating all that soup and salad that my manager had to take over my other tables.

These loving human garbage disposals finally got their fill of unlimited cheap food. I dropped the check off, it was given back to me with a card that had some form of McConnell's name on it. After they left I went over to help bus the table, and there were a few small piles of pennies. I picked up the check and looked at the receipt. No tip. Nothing other than the guys who had put pennies on the table. I still didn't know who the hell Mitch McConnell was.

A couple years later, I'm watching The Daily Show and Jon Stewart was doing his McConnell impression. I start screaming out, 'gently caress THE TURTLE MAN! THE TURTLE MAN IS A loving rear end in a top hat!' Even today, I still say gently caress that guy." -- Sandra Worthington (Editor’s Note: As do we all, Sandra. As do we all.)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
So how many other elected Republicans is Trump going to indirectly or directly threaten to oppose?

Does anyone have the full list?
Nicki Haley
John Kasich
John McCain
Paul D Ryan
Little Rubio

I feel like this list should be much longer but that's all I've got this late .

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I took a look at the Constitution and it looks like that applies only to the impeachment of the president. Creating the obvious question of who else might be qualified to preside over the impeachment of, say, the VP, and how that person might be chosen. Does the senate or the house get to choose a friendly justice?

"The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present."

Looking into it, it would seem that when the Senate's ordinary functioning isn't being overridden by the Constitution ("the Chief Justice shall preside"), it continues to function as usual, so the presiding officer is whoever is presiding that day, or the President Pro Tem if they want to get off their rear end and do it, or the Vice President if they want to get off their rear end and do it. If the Vice President is the one being impeached, I guess he isn't allowed.

e: oh hey one exception, apparently the Senate itself passed a rule that if the VP gets impeached, the Chief Justice also is appointed presiding officer in that situation. Neatly avoiding the theoretical situation where the VP presides over his own impeachment trial, which would admittedly be hilarious.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 2, 2016

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Sword of Chomsky posted:

So how many other elected Republicans is Trump going to indirectly or directly threaten to oppose?

Does anyone have the full list?
Nicki Haley
John Kasich
John McCain
Paul D Ryan
Little Rubio

I feel like this list should be much longer but that's all I've got this late .

Mark Kirk

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Doctor Butts posted:

Who the gently caress would want to primary the loving speaker?

Too bad he doesn't seem to have much of a chance because that would add some extra chaos to the fall.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

TyrantWD posted:

In the Midwest Gary Johnson is polling at 15%, and Trump has been within the margin of error in those states even before the convention. I don't think we can declare Trump suffering from his latest controversy until we see a genuine sustained movement against him in the polls in those states.

Your posts are coming across as delusional as when people were saying that Hillary could win by 20 pts months and months ago.

The fact that trump has been unable to break out of the low-40s in support means that his shenanigans are hurting him, and unless the third parties are going to get 20% in November (they're not), Hillary is on track for a 6-7pt victory.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wait does Ryan seriously have a shot at being primaried?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/DanMentos/status/760325742580277252?s=09

Dexo posted:

No but it won't stop Trump from making the threat. He's probably pissed that other Republicans arent falling on a sword to protect him.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I'll eat a couple of McDoubles or dollar menu Taco Bell when I'm drunk/hungover but KFC is the loving worst thing ever. So much salt and all the sides and condiments are mockeries of what they're actually supposed to be. It's also really loving expensive. Just go down to your local soul food/hole in the wall Mexican restaurant if you want good chicken. Go to the drat grocery store deli and it's still better.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Quorum posted:

Looking into it, it would seem that when the Senate's ordinary functioning isn't being overridden by the Constitution ("the Chief Justice shall preside"), it continues to function as usual, so the presiding officer is whoever is presiding that day, or the President Pro Tem if they want to get off their rear end and do it, or the Vice President if they want to get off their rear end and do it. If the Vice President is the one being impeached, I guess he isn't allowed.

e: oh hey one exception, apparently the Senate itself passed a rule that if the VP gets impeached, the Chief Justice also is appointed presiding officer in that situation. Neatly avoiding the theoretical situation where the VP presides over his own impeachment trial, which would admittedly be hilarious.

Okay, so we only need 1 SCOTUS member to act as chief justice to avoid a constitutional crisis (as in a situation where the constitution does not adequately provide necessary instruction about how the operation of government is to proceed), and we can get by with 0 so long as neither the president nor the vice president goes into an impeachment hearing.

See guys, we'll be fine

Dexo posted:

No of course not, but neither did Eric Cantor

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dexo posted:

Not really. All reputable polls have Ryan up 30+ points on Nehlen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FIRST TIME posted:

I'll eat a couple of McDoubles or dollar menu Taco Bell when I'm drunk/hungover but KFC is the loving worst thing ever. So much salt and all the sides and condiments are mockeries of what they're actually supposed to be. It's also really loving expensive. Just go down to your local soul food/hole in the wall Mexican restaurant if you want good chicken. Go to the drat grocery store deli and it's still better.

I've gotten ill every time I've eaten at local KFCs and after a friend worked there for a while he informed me that it's because there are no health standards which are actually followed.

I mean yeah I know, fast food lol, but no I've never heard horror stories like that.

• Locked thread