Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

error1 posted:

According to this http://www.payscale.com/data-packages/employee-loyalty/full-list

It actually takes Microsoft a full 4 years to drain programmers of their will to live, while Apple does it in 2 years and Google does it in an impressively short single year!

rjmccall posted:

they live in seattle, their alternative is working for amazon

also working for a massive hosed up bureaucracy like microsoft is probably pretty drat easy, you could just chill out and still collect a fat paycheck if you're somewhat competent

at some point you get bored but have a lot of time to plan your next move, hence the longer cycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

uncurable mlady posted:

active directory certificate services suck

lmao so wrong, windows ca is the best by far

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
windows sucks

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

windows sucks

100% in agreement, forums poster JewKiller 3000

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

lmao so wrong, windows ca is the best by far

the best at being bad maybe

"hmm yes I need to sign these csrs, let me just use loving powershell because there's no other goddamned way to do it like some sort of loving idiot child who needs to live in a ball"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
what? there are like a dozen ways to sign csrs and the best is to just use auto-enrollment when possible.

also lol @ whining about powershell when the only way to do certs on Linux is bash.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they're still loving that chicken

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
at least it looks like they got an artist instead of ripping off that one dude's deviantart

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mishaq posted:

also working for a massive hosed up bureaucracy like microsoft is probably pretty drat easy, you could just chill out and still collect a fat paycheck if you're somewhat competent

at some point you get bored but have a lot of time to plan your next move, hence the longer cycles

microsoft hired away multiple guys who were on the cusp of being booted for incompetence here. that should tell you a lot about how easy it is to fly under the radar there. the only common feature between them was they were all super efficient at producing reams of code on a weekly basis. not good code. just a lot. broken in ways that you wouldnt notice until after it shipped.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

and that's why microsoft is cool again

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that image was sent to everybody on the windows insider email list in a whole pile of reoslutions as a wallpaper pack to celebrate windows 10 anniversary. the pack includes three folders:
  • Windows_Insider_Anniversary_Band
  • Windows_Insider_Anniversary_PC
  • Windows_Insider_Anniversary_Phone

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

what? there are like a dozen ways to sign csrs and the best is to just use auto-enrollment when possible.

also lol @ whining about powershell when the only way to do certs on Linux is bash.

you're right, I can use the lovely web portal with loving inline vbscript, the powershell cmdlets, or some awful auto-enrollment thing that only works if you're doing every single thing the Microsoft Way. what if I just want to create frontend SSL certs for ephemeral test environments? there's no good way to do it

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you shouldn't be doing that then, it doesn't match shaggarballmer's vision

wait what company are we talking about again? apple right?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

its pretty trivial to use the powershell web access role to give a frontend for that kind of stuff. if u ain't no scrub

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

that kid owns

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

duTrieux. posted:

that image was sent to everybody on the windows insider email list in a whole pile of reoslutions as a wallpaper pack to celebrate windows 10 anniversary. the pack includes three folders:
  • Windows_Insider_Anniversary_Band
  • Windows_Insider_Anniversary_PC
  • Windows_Insider_Anniversary_Phone

why does everyone still act like file browsers can't handle spaces

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

because dipshits writing scripts don't wrap their parameters in quotes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation

uncurable mlady posted:

you're right, I can use the lovely web portal with loving inline vbscript, the powershell cmdlets, or some awful auto-enrollment thing that only works if you're doing every single thing the Microsoft Way. what if I just want to create frontend SSL certs for ephemeral test environments? there's no good way to do it

yes there is you're just too dumb to figure it out.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
and you're apparently also too dumb, since you can't explain it to him yet you keep shaggaring

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
also lol that you're bitching about the easiest CA in the universe when the Linux equivalent is terrible bash garbage.

"bwhuuu, right click request new cert?? this is too hard for me to figure out!!"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
go into certificate management. right click choose request new certificate. follow the wizard to create your certificate. there. ur done. now export the cert and do w/e you want w/ it.

if you want to do this automatically, there are APIs for it or you can just use powershell or batch scripts. its not hard in the least and beats the Linux poo poo by miles.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
thanks for the useful and informative post, too bad you had to be a shithead for 2 pages first

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I will ding MS for not giving you a default CSR template with AD out of the box so you have to figure it out yourself but its still way way way better than trying to do it in OpenSSL

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation

JewKiller 3000 posted:

thanks for the useful and informative post, too bad you had to be a shithead for 2 pages first

theres no way he didn't know how to do it already if he setup a windows CA. its impossible to setup without understanding how to request certificates. hes just being a turd whining about trying to find the dumbest most Linux way to do it cause that's what hes used to.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I will ding MS for not giving you a default CSR template with AD out of the box so you have to figure it out yourself but its still way way way better than trying to do it in OpenSSL

I think the biggest thing is the default web server template still generates 1k keys, but if you're setting up a CA infrastructure without reading about how to do it right then ur gonna make other mistakes and the 1k keys will only be part of your problem.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
also the certificate enrollment web service is just SOAP so you could write your own client and do certificate requests and maybe even auto-enrollment for Linux if you wanted to, but that would mean actually writing code which is against open sores policies. open sores is about using what other people have written and bitching if it doesn't work.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mishaq posted:

one of my new coworkers was working at microsoft for a few years and he said he only even went to work 1 day a week for the last 8 months and hardly anyone noticed

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I think the biggest thing is the default web server template still generates 1k keys, but if you're setting up a CA infrastructure without reading about how to do it right then ur gonna make other mistakes and the 1k keys will only be part of your problem.

even if you're just doing a CSR to someone else's CA certmgr will let you feed it a bunch of garbage that it should never be allowing in this day and age with the out of box defaults. its up to the CA to validate and understand that and yeah, if you're doing your own CA then understand the poo poo out of it, but MS is making cert requests way more difficult than than should be. The wizard in IIS is an example of how they should be handling it (if anything under 2048bit disabled for you) to make it easier for people who don't know poo poo about DSA/RSA, export and archiving policy, extensions and all that to get going but it doesn't support SANs right now which is super common and should be encouraged with wildcart certs coming under a lot of scrutiny and getting killed off by many CAs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Linux computer/user gets kerb ticket from AD
Send kerb ticket to certificate enrollment service for auth
Request cert using auto enroll template for user/computer.
install returned certificate in wherever the gently caress Linux stores certs.

probably would work too well, but you wouldn't use bash to do it so this is a no-go.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

even if you're just doing a CSR to someone else's CA certmgr will let you feed it a bunch of garbage that it should never be allowing in this day and age with the out of box defaults. its up to the CA to validate and understand that and yeah, if you're doing your own CA then understand the poo poo out of it, but MS is making cert requests way more difficult than than should be. The wizard in IIS is an example of how they should be handling it (if anything under 2048bit disabled for you) to make it easier for people who don't know poo poo about DSA/RSA, export and archiving policy, extensions and all that to get going but it doesn't support SANs right now which is super common and should be encouraged with wildcart certs coming under a lot of scrutiny and getting killed off by many CAs

its ironically pretty Linux of them in that the defaults are all wrong and instead of fixing it they just give you documentation on how to do it right. except the documentation on how to do it right is actually good so I guess that parts not very Linux.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

yeah, no qualms on the documentation it is p.deece but I pay MS to do the upfront thinking on this poo poo for me so I only need to make adjustments for specific requirements. it stinks of a lazy linux project. HERES A MILLION FIELDS. MOST OF THEM YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT, BUT WE WILL PRESENT THEM ALL EQUALLY BECAUSE: gently caress YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

fart simpson posted:

one of my new coworkers was working at microsoft for a few years and he said he only even went to work 1 day a week for the last 8 months and hardly anyone noticed

there are several people in my office that come by only once every week or two.

i have no idea what they do, but i assume they are on customer premises or doing remote work.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

owns

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

This is the new Anniversary edition Windows Hello biometric logon procedure, you better get used to it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Endless Mike posted:

assuming ms is even remotely competent, getting updates from other computers should be fine since it should still check a hash from the home server before installing anything.

and as we all know, Microsoft hashes have never been collided to deliver state-sponsored malware

eschaton fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 2, 2016

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

error1 posted:

This is the new Anniversary edition Windows Hello biometric logon procedure, you better get used to it

CORTANA MUST WATCH YOU WRITHE TO PROCEED.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mishaq posted:

it's not that kind of massive hosed up bureaucracy

it's the kind where everyone is scheming behind each others' backs

if you're somewhat competent you need to put that to use advancing your interests because otherwise you'll wind up someone else's pawn

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i installed a.... uwp(??) app today. voluntarily and on purpose: facebook messenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
thindows 10

• Locked thread