Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of a weird recommendation in this context tho, cause it's got middle-schooler poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's kind of a weird recommendation in this context tho, cause it's got middle-schooler poo poo.

Feel free to skip the non-Kaiki parts of Second Season. Thank you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If anyone has read this series, is it any good

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Makai-Ouji-Devils-and-Realist

It's got a bunch of chapters and it's josei which usually hasn't steered me wrong before, but the premise sounds a bit boilerplate

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AlternateNu posted:

don't skip otorimonogatari, actually

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

no

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to watch monogatari all the way up to second season, and then skip all of second season except for six episodes

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Or

not

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

quote:

A group of 3 yakuza failed their boss for the last time. After messing up an important job, the boss gives them 2 choices: Honorably committing suicide, or go to Thailand to get a sex reassignment surgery in order to becomes "female" idols. After a gruesome year long training to become idols, they successfully debut, with overwhelming popularity, much to their dismay. This is where their tragedy truly begins
:stare:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Colonel posted:

don't skip otorimonogatari, actually

Yeah. I meant Kizumono. Don't skip Second Season. It is awesome and good. Not super creepy and bad.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. I meant Kizumono. Don't skip Second Season. It is awesome and good. Not super creepy and bad.

I'm guessing you meant Nise, not Kizu, but in either case you're ultra wrong

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

esselfortium posted:

I'm guessing you meant Nise, not Kizu, but in either case you're ultra wrong

Probably. I'm tired and I'm giving up.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
As a person who liked glasslip, can anyone think of any other series with a similar michael haneke-ish vibe?

edit: currently watching serial experiments lain

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 3, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How is minami-ke, is it any good? I see it's got a shitload of chapters, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've only seen the anime but it's pretty decent slice-of-life comedy, though I remember season 2 was kind of bad due to introducing a lame new character and having kind of lovely production values.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've gone through the wiki, and still going through the last ten pages of this thread, but still need to find something I can stream on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu that is relatively new.

I'm a grown rear end man (who apparently has the need to mention it lol) not interested in anything to do with high school, comedy, or regular beat em up anime. I like relatively deep, sci-fi (it could be any genre), and mind-expanding animes that paint interesting worlds/mythology you want to dive in.

I found the wiki to primarily center on the former stuff. Stuff I've really liked in the past: Rahxephon, Redline, the manga Planetes, the mange Battle Angel Alita (before it veered off track), the manga Akira, any Miyazaki movie.

I'd be up for a manga recommendation as well. Thanks in advance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shageletic posted:

I've gone through the wiki, and still going through the last ten pages of this thread, but still need to find something I can stream on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu that is relatively new.

I'm a grown rear end man (who apparently has the need to mention it lol) not interested in anything to do with high school, comedy, or regular beat em up anime. I like relatively deep, sci-fi (it could be any genre), and mind-expanding animes that paint interesting worlds/mythology you want to dive in.

I found the wiki to primarily center on the former stuff. Stuff I've really liked in the past: Rahxephon, Redline, the manga Planetes, the mange Battle Angel Alita (before it veered off track), the manga Akira, any Miyazaki movie.

Erased

Paranoia Agent (hell, anything by Satoshi Kon in general)

Serial Experiments Lain

Boogiepop Phantom

Ghost in the Shell. Any of it, but the original movie or Stand Alone Complex are good starting places.

Psycho-Pass

Steins;Gate. Watch the dub, it's fantastic.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I've not seen it myself, but from what I know Mushishi might be up your street. I know the first season's quite old (about a decade?) but I think Netflix has the second season too, which was pretty recent.
Netflix also has Steins;Gate in a fair few regions, and I think Hulu, too. It might not be entirely to your taste (there's a fair amount of comedy, but it's balanced out with quite a bit of drama and intrigue), but is an excellent sci-fi time travel story at its heart. It also has a great dub, if that matters to you.
If Hulu has it, Shin Sekai Yori/From The New World is a sci-fi series with a really intriguing plot and setting that had me hooked the whole way through, albeit with one or two off-putting episodes here and there. Follows the characters from childhood through to adulthood, so yes, there are parts where they're in high school, but that's really not what the show's about at all. Very heavy drama and atmosphere all the way through.
And, although it's not available for streaming anywhere and I haven't seen or read it yet myself, since you mentioned Planetes, I may as well mention that I've heard the anime is very different to the manga. Not in a bad way, simply just that the anime focuses a lot more on some side characters that were barely in the manga, or something like that, so I've heard that it's a great watch even for people who've already read the series. If you have some way to watch it, it may be worth a look.
That's all that comes to mind for the moment.

Oh, stuff probably too obvious to mention, just in case you hadn't watched/read them: Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nausicaa (note that the manga came first, is quite different to the film and is highly praised, so it's worth a go even if you've seen the film).

smenj fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 19, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't Netflix have mind game? It's an anime movie, would recommend

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

smenj posted:

Shin Sekai Yori/From The New World

Still applies.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What about a beat em up or a highschool anime do you not like? I am only asking as there are a couple shows I could recommend but they might include elements that you do not like. For example Fate/Zero includes a decent amount of fighting, but it is just as much about the intrigue and the character development of the various characters. Also what region of netflix are you watching?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

What about a beat em up or a highschool anime do you not like? I am only asking as there are a couple shows I could recommend but they might include elements that you do not like. For example Fate/Zero includes a decent amount of fighting, but it is just as much about the intrigue and the character development of the various characters. Also what region of netflix are you watching?

I've watched Fate/Zero and its sequel (and GitS, which I liked, Evangelion, which I also liked, ditto with Paranoia Agent, which I found like a lot of the other director's efforts, a little too abstract and intentionally confounding for my taste) and I'm not trying to throw shade, but their story-telling mechanics are just not something I find too interesting anymore. High school drama might suffer from me being too separated from the subject matter, causing me to just eye-roll and mutter about these characters just moving on from their problems, but what I like about anime is the ability to create new worlds whole-sale, with no limits to the imagination. The manga Nausicaa is a perfect example of this, and so is the manga version of Akira, both exceedingly great ways to spend your time.

Beat em up's (and I was a fan of Yu Yu Hakisho as a teenager) got old from repetition I guess. Only so many times I can watch a character overcome a bad rear end opponent through the power of his heart or some such poo poo.

EDIT: I'm not going to be grossed out by the New World recommendation am I? I have a low tolerance for that stuff.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
From the New World has strong horror elements, but it's mostly atmospheric rather than explicit. If you have a really low tolerance it might be a bit much, but it's really good. Don't even consider the manga adaptation; it's fanservice garbage.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't recall much in Shinsekai Yori being more gross than what you'd have seen in Evangelion

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
School stuff generally follows a formula and there's definitely a ridiculous glut of them out there, but it can do some pretty great things within that formula. ReLife and Orange, both cliche-sounding school life series from their summaries, have turned out incredible.

Orange is a finished manga that has a currently-airing anime, and relife has an anime that dropped all at once and covers about a hundred or so chapters, the webmanga it's based on is at like 140 chapters or something. Orange has one of the better portrayals of crippling depression I've seen in an anime/manga, and Relife actually does dodge a lot of school life cliches simply by the main character being an adult and working through problems with people instead of dragging it out for 30 chapters.

Examples like them are why I'll generally give a given genre a shot I wouldn't otherwise, especially the cream of the crop that people recommend, even if I wind up not enjoying them(like chihayafuru).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if it's anything like the manga relife is mediocre as all heck and not something i'd recommend to someone specifically not looking for a show set in high school

anyway, watch Kaiba my man, then follow that up with the Tatami Galaxy. also kyousougiga and Kino's Journey.

this is ignoring previous recommendations.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Cake Attack posted:

if it's anything like the manga relife is mediocre as all heck and not something i'd recommend to someone specifically not looking for a show set in high school

ReLife is pretty drat good and I found it a really enjoyable watch, but definitely not something to bother with if you don't like high school drama, because it has a whole lot of that

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: I'm not going to be grossed out by the New World recommendation am I? I have a low tolerance for that stuff.

In terms of "oh god this is making me feel awful I don't want to watch this" I found it very visceral at times but you don't actually see a huge amount of gore. It's just well used. And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't give a poo poo about most suspense / horror anime or movies.

Cake Attack posted:

anyway, watch Kaiba my man, then follow that up with the Tatami Galaxy. also kyousougiga and Kino's Journey.

These are A++ suggestions for anyone. Also watch Turn A Gundam if you can, it's pretty neat and if you liked Evangelion and Planetes I think you'd enjoy it.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I suppose I should clarify what I meant since it's sparked all this discussion. By "off-putting episodes" in From The New World, I meant there were one or two episodes with a very uncomfortable atmosphere, which was great for most of the show, since the whole thing's meant to be intense and unsettling and the like, but there were a few which went a bit further than the rest. Nothing to not bother watching the show over by any means, and I certainly didn't mean that the show's full of gore or anything like that. I should, however, mention that I believe the show had a guest director for two separate episodes (both in the first cour, I think), and those episodes really stand out from the rest in a bad way. So if you decide to watch it and notice an abrupt decline in quality for an episode, that's probably why.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm looking for suggestions for things like Kikis Delivery Service. The mundane mixed with the mystic. The slice of life nature of it. Ideally something you could describe as heartwarming. I've watched a fair amount of Ghibli and any I haven't are already on the list. Thanks!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for things like Kikis Delivery Service. The mundane mixed with the mystic. The slice of life nature of it. Ideally something you could describe as heartwarming. I've watched a fair amount of Ghibli and any I haven't are already on the list. Thanks!

Flying Witch.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Little_wh0re posted:

Flying Witch.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Droyer posted:

Flying Witch.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Little_wh0re posted:

Flying Witch.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

hakumei to mikochi
Aoi Uroko to Suna no Machi
Kyoukaisenjou no Limbo

tsuritama
a letter to momo
saint young men
the wolf children
spice & wolf

the first block is manga, the second block is anime

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Flying Witch is better because it's both.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Wolf Children is a great recommendation too

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know if I'd call it a Slice of Life per se, at least not in the way a lot of Kyoani stuff is, but Spice And Wolf is also very good.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Little_wh0re posted:

Flying Wi-

Nevermind, I think you've got the idea already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Little_wh0re posted:

Once you finish Flying Witch you might try Natsume Yuujinchou. It's a little bit more conflict-driven than some of these suggestions but still very pleasant and soothing overall.