Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I understand Utah but what's going on with Georgia? Does Atlanta's population really swing the whole state that hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Edmund Lava posted:

I understand Utah but what's going on with Georgia? Does Atlanta's population really swing the whole state that hard?
Lotta black folks in Georgia too

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea Georgia is 30% black. Since Trump is polling at KKK levels amongst black voters, well, you get the idea.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
How do you gently caress up so badly that you put Utah in play? If I were in the RNC, I would be groveling at Romney's feet right now to not try anything funny.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Almost all of the Mormon folks I know loving HATE Trump. I can think of exactly one who might vote for him and the rest will either stay home or vote D. Purely anecdotal, of course, but there are people saying they like Hilldawg who I never thought would say that.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

computer parts posted:

Believe it or not, KFC is actually very high quality in China.

It's not just a relative thing either, it's because that's where their main market is these days.

I currently live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where there is literally no fried chicken restaurants anywhere. I'd kill for some KFC at this point.
I was always more of a Lee's(local thing) or Popeye's guy though before I moved up here. I loving miss it though.

That's my lovely UP story.

Also Clinton +1 in Utah has made my night. Goodnight goons.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

All the Mormons I've, for all the huge faults the church has regarding race/gender/LGBT relations, been actually deeply concerned with being moral good people in a way that's notably different from other white religious people.

Trump is so clearly immoral that he really offends them. He's obviously not at all Christian either.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Who cares if you can get Utah when you can flip North Carolina!

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/760339996280750080

Sleeper state? I thought it was already the general consensus that, yeah, Hillary's got a decent shot at winning NC if she does really well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DaveWoo posted:

Sleeper state? I thought it was already the general consensus that, yeah, Hillary's got a decent shot at winning NC if she does really well.
Doesn't NC have like 4x the electoral votes of Utah? I mean Utah, Nevada, they may be interesting and meaningful but they're giant slabs of desert we use for testing nuclear weapons.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Dirt posted:

I currently live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where there is literally no fried chicken restaurants anywhere. I'd kill for some KFC at this point.
I was always more of a Lee's(local thing) or Popeye's guy though before I moved up here. I loving miss it though.

That's my lovely UP story.

Also Clinton +1 in Utah has made my night. Goodnight goons.

Did Popeye's change recipes or something? There's one like right down the street from me that opened up like a year ago, but it's like Bojangles without the awesome fries.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Edmund Lava posted:

Yes. In addition to a high black population, I think the real factor which is going to shift Georgia's politics in the future is Atlanta's rapidly growing foreign-born population which leans liberal.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Speaking of Georgia, racism is dead guys!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/us/critics-see-efforts-to-purge-minorities-from-voter-rolls-in-new-elections-rules.html

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Joe Gillian posted:

Did Popeye's change recipes or something? There's one like right down the street from me that opened up like a year ago, but it's like Bojangles without the awesome fries.

No idea. I have been living in the frozen north for like 3 years now. Last time I had Popeye's it was legit, but that was like probably 2013 or 2012. I lived in the Detroit Metro area before this, and always got Lee's(local thing I think).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Edmund Lava posted:

Atlanta metro area is like 60% of the state's total population, and is like 50% NHW with 32% black people. Suburbs aren't exactly lily either. Short of that, there's a fuckload of black people in Georgia at large and if you're generating the kind of lopsided numbers that exist for black voters between Clinton and Trump, yeah, you're going to see the state bank hard against Trump.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I want to think it will be the indefensibly poor remarks about gold star parents that sink Trump but I know in my heart the American people will take greater offense at eating KFC with a fork.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I cannot believe I'm hearing people talk about Lee's in a positive manner. I thought they all went out of business years ago.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Doesn't NC have like 4x the electoral votes of Utah? I mean Utah, Nevada, they may be interesting and meaningful but they're giant slabs of desert we use for testing nuclear weapons.

NC is more important on an electoral level but Utah is a hardcore GOP stronghold that the Republicans are never supposed to lose, ever. Losing Utah is one of the only things I can think of that would shock the GOP into changing course instead of doubling down every election cycle.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I cannot believe I'm hearing people talk about Lee's in a positive manner. I thought they all went out of business years ago.

Haha hey man the one in Plymouth, MI(or maybe it was Canton, right on the border) was loving great ~3 years ago. That's all I have to say about it. I lived right down the street from there.

Always had quick service and quality food and their coleslaw was legit as gently caress.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 2, 2016

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Not sure of the quality but the Japanese buy a crapload of KFC for Thanksgiving apparently.

Christmas, but yes. It's a ridiculous huge deal and you can expect long lines and/or needing to order ahead, from what I've heard. It all goes back to a 70s ad campaign that really stuck.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Unfortunately, no amount of Trump hate is going to convince Utah to elect the first trans person to be nominated to run for the US Senate by a major party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

NC is more important on an electoral level but Utah is a hardcore GOP stronghold that the Republicans are never supposed to lose, ever. Losing Utah is one of the only things I can think of that would shock the GOP into changing course instead of doubling down every election cycle.

The only state that will matter is losing Texas, and since that's the entire bedrock of their presidential aspirations so as long as that votes R they've not a reason to change, If it does go another color there won't be need for the republicans to change since they won't be a party anymore.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

Unfortunately, no amount of Trump hate is going to convince Utah to elect the first trans person to be nominated to run for the US Senate by a major party.

Alright, I get the fact that it would be a cool precedent to set that anyone of any sort of gender background along the LGBT wheel can make it in politics in America, but do they really expect a Trans candidate to win in loving Utah?!?!?!

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

sarmhan posted:

All the Mormons I've, for all the huge faults the church has regarding race/gender/LGBT relations, been actually deeply concerned with being moral good people in a way that's notably different from other white religious people.

Trump is so clearly immoral that he really offends them. He's obviously not at all Christian either.

Yeah, Trump is highly offensive and disgusting to Mormon moral sensibilities. Hell, I've been non-Mormon for almost 2 decades and Trump offends me in a way that makes me realize my LDS upbringing will never go away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why does a Muslim terrorist supporter send his son to fight for America in Iraq for fucks sake.

It was a plot point in one of Tom Clancy's books where an Iranian family migrates to the States, and their son grows up to become a Secret Service agent, and then gets as far as being on the President's detail. Except he's actually a sleeper agent and at some point gets his orders to assassinate POTUS via instructions left behind by his Iranian spy-handler, whose cover identity is a rug merchant.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Pakled posted:

Still 37-51 for a transperson in loving Utah is pretty encouraging. Hopefully see some moves in states that aren't a lost cause.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Mr. Chicken only operates out of a very tiny chunk of rural/suburban Northeast Ohio but I don't care, Mr. Chicken forever.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

HorseRenoir posted:

Trump's margin for error isn't exactly great, either. I doubt Trump will want to spend much money defending places like Utah, but risking a bunch of states they were expecting to have sure doesn't help make it to 270.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Luna Was Here posted:

Alright, I get the fact that it would be a cool precedent to set that anyone of any sort of gender background along the LGBT wheel can make it in politics in America, but do they really expect a Trans candidate to win in loving Utah?!?!?!

The race is a lost cause so might as well get some visibility for trans issues? This sounds a little mercenary but the candidate must have known what they were getting in to.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Trump's margin for error isn't exactly great, either. I doubt Trump will want to spend much money defending places like Utah, but risking a bunch of states they were expecting to have sure doesn't help make it to 270.

I vaguely remember reading something about Trump's campaign spending an inordinate amount of money in places like New York and California but now I can't find any source on that and I'm wondering if that was just speculation about something he'd stupidly do.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

I vaguely remember reading something about Trump's campaign spending an inordinate amount of money in places like New York and California but now I can't find any source on that and I'm wondering if that was just speculation about something he'd stupidly do.

There was a Fox News infographic that showed that he at least intended to focus his campaign in CA and NY but I've never seen anything other than that one particular graphic.

Nothing would surprise me at this point though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Whoever it was that booked Mr Khan to appear at the convention should get a cabinet position.

What if it's DWS?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Pakled posted:

If I recall it was Trump himself claiming the NY and CA were part of his plan to win. It looks like his campaign going to go the traditional route of advertising in battleground states.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Munkeymon posted:

What if it's DWS?

Wouldn't be surprising. The email leak has shown that the DNC has repeatedly tried to rig the election in favor of Democratic candidates.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bowser posted:

Ignoring Merrick Garland for a second and assuming Hillary wins in November...how are the Republicans going to react if she gets 2 - 3 other SCOTUS appointments? This theoretically is an opportunity to dramatically shift the court left but I can't imagine they'll allow that to happen.

If they don't control the Senate there's nothing they can do about it. IF they do and they try to roadblock her for literally years I hope she goes scorched earth on them like nothing we could imagine.

The real answer is that if Hilary wins and the Dems retake the Senate then the GOP will likely rush to confirm Garland because they will absolutely see him as far superior to any pick Clinton will make with a friendly Senate and there is zero chance of them suffering any electoral blowback (aside from maybe some fringe right purists' primary challenge) by doing so.

Harrow posted:

If Democrats can get a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate (a beautiful dream, but hypothetically possible), it doesn't matter what the Republicans let happen.

Filibuster is irrelevant, it's all but certain to be eliminated next year if the Dems hold the WH and Senate because Reid was going to go full nuclear before but didn't because Dems foolishly listened to the GOP.

Bluemillion posted:

What the hell is next, Texas?

Georgia and Arizona. :getin:

How amazing would it be if Trump somehow did win PA but managed to lose Utah, Georgia, and Arizona in the process (and NC, which is getting more likely due to GOP fuckups and their voter suppression being overturned recently)? He'd crow about doing something that hasn't happened since Reagan, while suffering a net loss of EVs. Those 3 states aren't turning blue though. This is entirely due to Trump being so insanely toxic and divisive. At least in the case of Utah and maybe Arizona. Georgia is trending blue but Trump's accelerating it for 2016 and if the GOP can run a non-nazi candidate in 2020 it'll probably go safely red.

Pakled posted:

If Utah goes Dem (which won't happen), does that signal the collapse of the Republican party at the national level?

Not really since EV wise it's still not that much. Utah is 6 EVs while Arizona is 11 and Georgia is 16 though. Texas is 38 which is the reason it'd be such a death knell for the GOP since without Texas it's borderline impossible for the GOP to hit 270 without something insane like taking PA in addition to every single battleground state and maybe 1-2 "leans" that don't get considered battlegrounds.

If the Dems were to flip Texas without losing their core of usual states then they will already be over 270 EVs.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Munkeymon posted:

What if it's DWS?

:boom:

But seriously it was likely DWS.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Edmund Lava posted:

If I recall it was Trump himself claiming the NY and CA were part of his plan to win. It looks like his campaign going to go the traditional route of advertising in battleground states.

Anyone in a non-battleground state suddenly getting the amount of political media saturation the battleground states do would instantly vote for the other guy simply out of spite. NY and CA are going to be closer simply by Trump not actually campaigning there.

He'll still get his poo poo kicked in, granted.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

It’s Official: There Is No Trap Donald Trump Won’t Fall For I've never heard of redstate.com before but the despair here is pretty funny.

nachos posted:

heh look at these obvious dem traps it's so easy to fool trump :smug:

*gets stomped in 2016 primary with greatest republican field of all time*

Right? That was my reaction when I read it. Trump is so easy to bait a baby could trick him into scoring own goals. Just get a Reagan-amnestied military/police family on the campaign trail or better yet planted in the debates with hard questions just ahead of the Florida primary. Or a Muslim Army Chaplain. Or a woman vet with a Purple Heart asking him how he's going to win over women voters in November who saw him call Megyn Kelly a bimbo and accuse her of being on the rag for questioning him, and whether that's the image he wants women to have of Republicans. And stand back as he burns down his campaign in a twitter war against military families and police.

But :lol: nope their best ideas were uncomfortable narrative fiction about peering out of the birth canal up at Barbara's face, doubling down on Saddam's nonexistent WMDs, and candidates trashing their own serious credible politician image by getting in literal dick-measuring contests.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My two cents to food chat: Good to know KFC is still garbage tier. Their recent commercials have tempted me, but I have popeyes and homemade.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Just have Elizabeth Warren tweet that Trump is a loser six hours before the debate. He'll be bellowing about needing a genetic race test the whole evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-new-york-times-226546

quote:

“They don’t write good. They have people over there, like Maggie Haberman and others, they don’t — they don’t write good,” he said. “They don’t know how to write good.”

:psyboom:

edit: for emphasis: :psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

berserker fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 2, 2016

• Locked thread