Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Stelas posted:

Keyflower.

This is a good recommendation but probably doesn't play in under 60 unless everyone is real good/fast. My instinct says to recommend Race for the Galaxy but that has no bits, so maybe Roll for the Galaxy if dice count as bits and bobs?

edit: page 1000, woo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Euphoria is great, but more of a 90+ minute game than 60.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Tragedy Looper?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Another vote for Keyflower, it won't play in 60 minutes at higher player counts most likely but that should definitely be doable for two player, at least after you're familiar with it. I also like it just as much with 2 players as with more, and I like it a lot

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

EvilChameleon posted:

This is a good recommendation but probably doesn't play in under 60 unless everyone is real good/fast.

I haven't played 2 player Keyflower in a while but 60 minutes seems reasonably achievable as long as neither player is the kind to really take their time on every decision.

I assume the 60 minute playtime is for 2 player ONLY because Agricola-level complexity with lots of bits for 3+ players in an hour is a pipe-dream.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 2, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Possibly Glass Road? Might go over an hour, but should be well under 1.5 hours unless you have a lot of AP.

Some Numbers posted:

Tragedy Looper?

Takes about two hours to play.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
people do not waste the 1,000th page on these recommendations! Everyone please post you favorite boardgaming .gifs in celebration of 1,000 pages!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Rutibex posted:

people do not waste the 1,000th page on these recommendations! Everyone please post you favorite boardgaming .gifs in celebration of 1,000 pages!

itsjustfun.gif

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rutibex posted:

don't sign your posts

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

I haven't played 2 player Keyflower in a while but 60 minutes seems reasonably achievable as long as neither player is the kind to really take their time on every decision.

I assume the 60 minute playtime is for 2 player ONLY because Agricola-level complexity with lots of bits for 3+ players in an hour is a pipe-dream.

60 minutes after the first session figuring everything out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Voyages of Marco Polo, Tash-Kalar, Concordia.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

also:

Tekopo posted:

got my copy of FIRE IN THE LAKE, some pics:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Rutibex posted:

I used a couple kinds boxes. I cannibalized an old Stratego set for Tai Shogi, and I used the pieces of an old Risk set as the Strength/Craft counters for this Talisman set. I had the old boxes lying around so I used them as the backing for the Talisman Boards (and one cereal box, I think?). All of the cards are just magic cards with slips of paper in them, and the rule book is in one of those folders kids use for school reports:

For page 1000.

For lesser content I am very excited to try FCM tomorrow. I love that it is the game that shall be kicking off my GenCon week as well. Seems fitting.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Pretty standard reaction to having to play Catan

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Pretty standard reaction to having to play Catan

I know goons have pretty high standards, but I've generally had fun with Catan. Whats wrong with it?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Reason posted:

I know goons have pretty high standards, but I've generally had fun with Catan. Whats wrong with it?

A horrible penchant for kingmaking and a very real possibility of someone getting screwed by the dice and therefore not getting to do anything of note the entire game.

The cards can fix the latter, nothing can fix the former.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Reason posted:

a) it's way too random
b) too easy for players to deny any player something they need for irrational reasons

This is a reminder for page 1000 that the following games are garbage and should never be played:
Agricola
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
Any game by Stefan Feld
Any game by ignacy Trzewiczek
Talisman

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Reason posted:

At this point it's pretty dated, and there's no end of games that do the same thing that it does except much better. Most notably, it's reliant on random chance to determine whether you can do anything at all on your turn - with even the most optimal placements potentially getting screwed for no reason other than the whims of fate. Playing it with the number deck alleviates some of these issues, though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I played BatHotH today, it was at least quick and inoffensive. I think I made fewer than 5 actual decisions in the game, though (I'm not counting "which direction to explore" but that puts it to 5-7 at most).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Malloreon posted:

a) it's way too random
b) too easy for players to deny any player something they need for irrational reasons
Catan is only fun if you play it with normal people. Gamers ruin it.

Malloreon posted:

This is a reminder for page 1000 that the following games are garbage and should never be played:
Agricola
Any game by Stefan Feld
Talisman

gently caress yoouuu :argh:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Malloreon posted:

a) it's way too random

Or for rational reasons. If the dice aren't giving you any resources, you probably can't catch up by trading because you don't have much in the way resources to trade away. And since multiple players can build on the same hex, moving the robber somewhere to block the leader can have the side-effect of also screwing over the player who was already in last place.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Yo BG thread. I hear y'all like games. Wanna play a game?

“Restraint? Why are you so concerned with saving their lives? The whole idea is to kill the bastards. At the end of the war, if there are two Americans and one Russian left alive, we win.” ~Gen. Thomas Power, U.S. Strategic Air Command 1957-1964

MELTWATER (working title) is a two-player board game of tactical starvation and mutually assured destruction at the end of the earth, currently under development by Erin Escobedo, aka me, Gutter Owl! The game is currently in open beta for Rules Version 0.62. I need PBP playtesters to put this thing through the wringer, so if this sounds at all like your thing, please sign up here!

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Bubble-T posted:

Er, yeah, I guess you could play 2p in 60, but probably not more than 2p? Unless you're lucky.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Malloreon posted:

Any game by Stefan Feld
In The Year Of The Dragon is ok.

I'd play CoB more if it didn't take too long to set up for 2 players and too long to play with 3+.

Reason posted:

It's 20 years old. It's actually a testament to how solid it is* that people still play it, but given the explosion in variety and quality of games it sparked it would be weird if it hadn't been surpassed.

*I'll hate on Catan any time but it's still light years ahead of popular games before it and even now we have games like Machi Koro getting acclaim despite being basically the worst part of Catan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Malloreon posted:

Agricola
Any game by Stefan Feld
Talisman

Three out of five isn't bad, but what do you have against Feld and BAHotH?

2P sub-60 minute games with Agricola-level complexity: King Chocolate, Archipelago, and I'm going to throw a curveball and say Arkwright. In Spinning Mule mode it'll only take 30m/player.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Going to buy a Target exclusive game later today. I'm leaning towards Evolution: The Beginning, but Suspicion looks interesting. There's no reviews for the latter, so I'm hesitant.

I've never played any of the Evolution games. Would the Beginning be a good game for a casual group of players (my family)?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Pictures page?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ChikoDemono posted:

Going to buy a Target exclusive game later today. I'm leaning towards Evolution: The Beginning, but Suspicion looks interesting. There's no reviews for the latter, so I'm hesitant.

I've never played any of the Evolution games. Would the Beginning be a good game for a casual group of players (my family)?

I've not played The Beginning, but neither of the other Evolution games is particularly complex. All you do is play cards in four different ways to try and eat as much as possible without being eaten - or in some cases even by being eaten.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

itsjustfun.gif

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tevery Best posted:

Pictures page?

Where is the music video :colbert:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Fat Samurai posted:

Where is the music video :colbert:

If you mean the story all about how my crypt got flipped upside down, it might have existed.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I'm convinced the new Game of Thrones games art is art that used to be used as the character portraits on one of the song of ice and fire wiki's. I'll have look around.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

I'm convinced the new Game of Thrones games art is art that used to be used as the character portraits on one of the song of ice and fire wiki's. I'll have look around.

It is. I remember it now you mention it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bubble-T posted:

It's 20 years old. It's actually a testament to how solid it is* that people still play it, but given the explosion in variety and quality of games it sparked it would be weird if it hadn't been surpassed.

I would not say any game has "surpassed" Catan. Lots of games out there are simply better than others, a straight upgrade. You can not really say that about Catan, there aren't any better versions of Catan out there. Catan is still the best Catan.

But I wonder, Catan has lots of expansions. I have only ever played the base game because people always tell me it's an "antique" game not worth it! Do the expansions fix any of Catans problems? Do they add a more interesting depth to the game? I have never heard anyone in this thread actually talk about playing Catan expansions.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rutibex posted:

I would not say any game has "surpassed" Catan. Lots of games out there are simply better than others, a straight upgrade. You can not really say that about Catan, there aren't any better versions of Catan out there. Catan is still the best Catan.

A pile of dog poo poo is still the best version of a pile of dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The Gods War just put up a print and play ahead of their kickstarter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhNNC0vAcik

http://petersengames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/The_Gods_War_PnP.zip