Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

greatn posted:

What Trump could do for the debates is pull a Mike gravel.
I am disappointed the rest of this post didn't involve Donald Trump wordlessly staring into a camera for two minutes and throwing a rock in a river.

E:f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Did his security detail really gently caress up the elevator? :catstare:
Maybe someone read that saboteur manual.

More people should microagress Trump, is what I'm saying.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Radish posted:

gently caress John McCain, he's a slimy poo poo.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/05/08/john-mccain-says-gop-must-abide-voters-wishes-on-trump/

If he had any sort of principles he'd retract his endorsement, no matter how half hearted he wants to pretend it is. You don't get to just say the person you and your party supposedly think is qualified to be the leader of the country and represents your voters doesn't reflect your real views when he says horrible stuff. He most certainly does, especially considering the attempts to discredit the family by people not as political connected as him and Ryan that sort of have to worry about the optics of this. If Trump really doesn't reflect your views say that he shouldn't be president, you don't get it both ways. McCain won't since he's a coward and knows his base, who does agree with Trump despite claims to the contrary, would eat him alive for it.

Whatever you say about him, coward isn't the word I'd use. The Vietnamese offered to send him home when they found out he was an admiral's son and he refused unless the rest of the men in the Hanoi Hilton could come with him. He endured two more years of torture for that.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Antti posted:

Actually I'd call this pulling a Perot:

Anyone who prints out an Excel chart without changing the default grey background to white first is unfit for the presidency.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

From that cufflinks story, this is the best part:
So that's 3-for-3 on billionaires who Drumpf said he spoke to who deny it.

And say what you will about one of the few truly American art forms (Pro Wrestling, Jazz, Hip Hop, Musical Theater - that's it), but Vince is definitely an unhinged lunatic who will carry a grudge beyond the grave, and if Drumpf thinks he can get away with attacking Vince because they used to make money together, he's out of touch. Vince is his own mogul now, and wrestling is an insanely influenceable audience that Vince has captive. If he wants to have Damien Sandow come out every week dressed as Drumpf, take a Spear or DDT and get verbally humiliated, BAH GAWD there's nothing stopping him from doing it.

Damien Sandow was released by the company several months ago, and Vince will literally put aside grudges to make money. The only one of his major drawing cards made amends with was Savage, and that's probably because Randy unexpectedly died from a heart attack or molested a young Stephanie McMahon. He even got the Ultimate Warrior to come back to the company.

then again Bob Backlund is currently "coaching" (screaming unintelligble rhetorical pablum at) an openly homosexual black wrestler to greatness under the slogan "MAKE DARREN YOUNG GREAT AGAIN".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Whatever you say about him, coward isn't the word I'd use. The Vietnamese offered to send him home when they found out he was an admiral's son and he refused unless the rest of the men in the Hanoi Hilton could come with him. He endured two more years of torture for that.
David Foster Wallace identified the paradox of John McCain really well in his essay Up, Simba. McCain is both a war hero and a self-serving career politician, and you can't ignore either part.

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/760448768349204481

Seems like a pretty moderate Rep (as far as these things go) and not running for re-election, but there's now a leak in the dam.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Seems like a pretty moderate Rep (as far as these things go) and not running for re-election, but there's now a leak in the dam.

All of his birds being dead was probably the final straw.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My dad's an ancient hippie and hasn't voted in an election since way before I was born (he went door to door for RFK, and was pretty disillusioned after he was killed). He despises Trump enough that he's registered to vote again just to vote against him. He lives in PA, so I'm really proud of him even if I've been bugging him about voting since long before I myself could vote.

I honestly wish I was still registered in PA; I'm in Baltimore, and there's no way 99% of the people here aren't going Clinton. Even our Republican governor has said he'll probably do a write-in rather than vote Trump.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Looking him up, he's also one of the few Republican reps to refuse to sign Norquist's bullshit pledge.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump is bragging about raising 35 million this July. Romney raised 100 million in July 2012.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump is bragging about raising 35 million this July. Romney raised 100 million in July 2012.

Romney should really get on calling him a poor.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't know why anyone even brings up campaign money in this election. It clearly didn't make a difference in the primary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't know why anyone even brings up campaign money in this election. It clearly didn't make a difference in the primary.
Somewhere Jeb sighs

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

nat'l polls today so far

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Somewhere Jeb sighs

He looks at the gun with his name engraved in it, wondering if today will be the day he works up the courage to finally end it all.

But he knows it won't be. Maybe tomorrow...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The primary and the general are really hard to compare. If the primary had been Jeb, Rubio, Cruz, and Trump and Jeb, Rubio, or Cruz swallowed their egos and bailed when it initially became clear they were not popular Trump probably would not have won. He was able to float amidst the chaos of that ridiculous primary where fourteen idiots fumbled around while he was able to throw out insults. The media was also enamored at the guy that wasn't playing by the rules and the rest of the candidates were a combination of too cowardly to stand up to Trump (Jeb shaking his hand after Trump insulted him and his wife was the last nail in his coffin) while also not wanting to hurt the GOP brand (something Trump gives zero fucks about) giving him free positive publicity. The media now doesn't seen to care what kind they give him now as long as it's a spectacle. There's no way this Khan stuff is helping him and even his idiot supporters realize this with their pathetic attempts to claim that family is anti-American.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

On Terra Firma posted:

Because the general is not the primary. Trump bucked the trend there because of multiple causes. It was a very diluted race, with debates not even able to accommodate all challengers at once. Trump never won a majority of any state, only pluralities wherein more people voted for all of his opponents than him. The others, Cruz, Kasich, and Rubio, had thier knives pointed at each other as much as Trump, and he exploited that division with singularity of message and appealing to the GOP base in the most blatant way we have seen.

Him vs Hillary is very different, and the nature of the electoral college means he HAS to bring new voters to his side. He HAS to convince people who right now, are not voting Trump. And he will not do that with media appearances and interviews on fox news. He got disproportionate media treatment for a primary, however in the general both candidates are front and center 24/7 until the election. Obama proved just how powerful a good ground game is, and how it can turn out votes.

However, your point does stand, as little about this election has made any sense.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Luna Was Here posted:

Alright, I get the fact that it would be a cool precedent to set that anyone of any sort of gender background along the LGBT wheel can make it in politics in America, but do they really expect a Trans candidate to win in loving Utah?!?!?!

No, nobody expects her to have any chance. She's
- a trans woman
- with no political experience
- who is 30 years old
- running for US Senate
- as a first ever run
- against an incumbent
- in Utah.

She was nominated because the other person running in the primary was a right-wing Democrat so if you're going to lose anyway, why not make a statement instead of just fizzling out?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

emdash posted:

nat'l polls today so far

Noteworthy also that Clinton seems to do fine to better without third parties which means that if they shrivel up as they usually do by election day she should be fine. Well she's fine if she's polling over 50 anyway, natch.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Stultus Maximus posted:

No, nobody expects her to have any chance. She's
- a trans woman
- with no political experience
- who is 30 years old
- running for US Senate
- as a first ever run
- against an incumbent
- in Utah.

She was nominated because the other person running in the primary was a right-wing Democrat so if you're going to lose anyway, why not make a statement instead of just fizzling out?

And yet with all that, the latest polls show her closer (37-51) than the last Democrat who ran against Mike Lee(32-61). Of course she's still losing badly, and the gap can widen between now and November, but I think it's okay to be a little optimistic about he DOA run.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Because the general is not the primary. Trump bucked the trend there because of multiple causes. It was a very diluted race, with debates not even able to accommodate all challengers at once. Trump never won a majority of any state, only pluralities wherein more people voted for all of his opponents than him. The others, Cruz, Kasich, and Rubio, had thier knives pointed at each other as much as Trump, and he exploited that division with singularity of message and appealing to the GOP base in the most blatant way we have seen.

Him vs Hillary is very different, and the nature of the electoral college means he HAS to bring new voters to his side. He HAS to convince people who right now, are not voting Trump. And he will not do that with media appearances and interviews on fox news. He got disproportionate media treatment for a primary, however in the general both candidates are front and center 24/7 until the election. Obama proved just how powerful a good ground game is, and how it can turn out votes.

However, your point does stand, as little about this election has made any sense.

If there's anything I hate this election season it's a bunch of idiots who got sideswiped by Trump winning the primary who are now breathlessly proclaiming that all the rules are dead and we've entered some new phase of American politics. Cokie Roberts was on NPR yesterday claiming that the Khan thing won't hurt him because Trump is immune to controversy and that we're all doomed. Trump broke a lot of brains.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Litany Unheard posted:

Cokie Roberts was on NPR yesterday claiming that the Khan thing won't hurt him because Trump is immune to controversy and that we're all doomed. Trump broke a lot of brains.

Tbf, this is the first controversy that has even remotely lingered.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeeMajors posted:

The Mexican Judge thing lingered about as long and would've gone longer if he'd still poked that bear.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LeeMajors posted:

in the primary, we all knew that his base bathed itself in the blood of democrats every day so these controversies are a good thing for him

in the general, if you consider that polls don't matter until 2 weeks after the conventions, we don't actually have evidence that these controversies don't "stick"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

LeeMajors posted:

Curiel. Both controversies involve racism and the victim is inviolable by norm.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The star of David thing didn't get resolved so much as another scandal happened.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah but I would expect any political commentator to know that most of the country doesn't pay attention until after the conventions. We follow the daily news because we're weirdos. The folks in the bubble have forgotten there's a whole bunch of people outside the bubble who aren't comfortable with open racism and picking on the families of dead service members.

Also Cokie Roberts is a big dumb.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Odds on Trump trying to say something outrageous to steal the spotlight from the Olympics?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nothing is ever resolved with Trump's scandals, it's just that something new happens. They still sit, untended, like an abcess on the rear end of his candiacy, waiting for somebody to shine a light on it. The entire primary, he was never really hit on calling McCain a coward or saying Mexicans were rapists. These things just kind of lingered but whoops, now they're back all over the place.

I'm sure EVENTUALLY, Trump will stop scoring own goals long enough for it to be smart for HRC to sneak in with a new take on an old controversy for a new audience. Whenever that day comes expect a nostalgia tour

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

iospace posted:

Odds on Trump trying to say something outrageous to steal the spotlight from the Olympics?

"Zika is caused by vaccines." -Trump a week from now, probably

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All these Stein and Johnson voters are probably mostly from safe red or safe blue states anyway, right?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

The Olympics last for like two weeks. I don't think Trump is capable of going that long without saying something outrageous.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There is absolutely no way that Johnson pulls more dissatisfied leftists (I'm guessing the vast majority of BoB Johnson voters are just assholes and never vote Democrat anyway) than Republicans pissed off at Trump. Stein doesn't even matter.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

greatn posted:

All these Stein and Johnson voters are probably mostly from safe red or safe blue states anyway, right?

idk about that but they will almost certainly wither away to 1-2% combined for election day

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

iospace posted:

My money on some dogwhistle remark about our women's gymnastics team. He already hit the vets and firefighters, lets attack another American sacred cow.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Looking back, it's pretty funny to think about Jeb's "lose the primary to win the general" thing. Trump's strategy was really the exact opposite. He won the primary so hard that I think he's still stuck there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

greatn posted:

Stein has less than half the support enjoyed by a dead gorilla, they aren't a threat anywhere.

The Green party really only has infrastructure in deep blue states, and will destroy itself with ideological purges if it ever gets within a sniff of actual relevance.

Johnson may pull votes in Utah, and maybe a few other states where Republican Jesus isn't the gold standard for excellence and morality, but I doubt he wins a state or anything, or swings one for Hillary.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

My gut feeling is that Bernie probably ended up siphoning people that would have normally voted Stein towards the Democrats which is why she's acting particularly manic and trying to get attention. I doubt that it will be a huge amount since Green party voters are statistically insignificant but I don't think they'll end up with more than they did in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

The Olympics last for like two weeks. I don't think Trump is capable of going that long without saying something outrageous.

He'll probably make some riff on the special Olympics

• Locked thread