Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Looks more like Arthur borrowed Ticks outfit, complete with muscle padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fishylungs posted:

I was going to say Egg Fu, but imagine my disappointment...

Fu Manchu has the benefit of still being Marvel Canon (they just changed the name of the character when thy lost the rights).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Grendels Dad posted:

All Ninjas look the same to DD.

uh

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That

Might be the joke?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Burkion posted:

That

Might be the joke?
uh

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Edit: beaten

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They do look a lot alike sometimes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mierenneuker posted:

They do look a lot alike sometimes.

DD doesn't see color, though.

Honest Thief posted:

Hot drat, what's going on with The Tick.

Not sure if they were going for making fun of the basketball skin trend and ended up with that or what

I don't like this at all. If one superhero needs to look like a wrestler squeezed into blue spandex, it's the Tick. Is he ever even not wearing his costume?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
On the one hand this version of The Tick looks like poo poo, on the other hand the show is being produced by Ben Edlund who invented the character and drew the comics so I guess he's allowed to make him look like whatever he wants.

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't like this at all. If one superhero needs to look like a wrestler squeezed into blue spandex, it's the Tick. Is he ever even not wearing his costume?

It's never even made clear whether he is wearing a costume or whether that's just what he looks like, his origin is never explained. In the comics he apparently escaped from a mental asylum, in the other versions he just turns up.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
He looks better here, but you still get that weird 90's body horror vibe, I feel.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I kind of dig that he looks like a horrifying giant bugman of some sort. I'm interested to see how they play up the clash between what a horrifying superhero he looks like and what a mental case he is.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's never even made clear whether he is wearing a costume or whether that's just what he looks like, his origin is never explained. In the comics he apparently escaped from a mental asylum, in the other versions he just turns up.

If it is a costume, he showers while wearing it, and leaves a blue film on the soap.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Suicide Squad review embargo is lifted today at noon EST.

It's going to be interesting to see how it reviews. The first trailer had me really excited, but every subsequent marketing piece has filled me with dread. I'll end up seeing it regardless, but I hope we don't get another movie where the 10 minutes of Batman is by far the best part.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If the biggest complaint is "The Joker's not the same as the one from 8 years ago" I think it's going to be a good movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I suspect that Suicide Squad will not be for me. It looks like it's trying so hard to be edgy, which is more than a bit cringey. I'm sure the narrative could be solid and the pacing good and the story intriguing, but the characters look just on the wrong side of juvenile. Joel Kinneman has his gruff tough guy act artificially cranked up all the way, Will Smith looks like he's trying as hard as he can to look cool but ends up looking like Will Smith, and Margot Robbie's performance just seems obnoxious in all the trailers and TV spots so far to me. Not in that her character is supposed to be obnoxious to others around her, but that the "We're bad guys" and "Just kidding, that's not what the voices in my head said!" rub me entirely the wrong way.

Then again, it's got a crocodile man who eats people and a literal witch and Jai Courtney drinking a beer in an alleyway in that one shot was amusing, so not writing it off entirely.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah this will probably be unwatchable, David Ayer is notorious for making lovely movies with bad characterization.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah this will probably be unwatchable, David Ayer is notorious for making lovely movies with bad characterization.

I like most of Ayer's movies, but The Fast and The Furious wasn't an entertaining movie because of the rich fiction it weaved with Dom's backstory.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

He said gently caress marvel. Which is neither here nor there but maybe wait til your movie is received well before talking poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

If the biggest complaint is "The Joker's not the same as the one from 8 years ago" I think it's going to be a good movie.

Judging from some of the snippets that have been released Leto's Joker may not be anywhere near the top of the list of problems. There are multiple other characters that I'm not sold on, but of course that's based on only a few short clips(that they decided to release in order to sell the movie).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I like most of Ayer's movies, but The Fast and The Furious wasn't an entertaining movie because of the rich fiction it weaved with Dom's backstory.

What does backstory have to with anything? I don't think you actually know what characterization means. F&F is absolutely as popular as it is because of its characters, it's practically a superhero ensemble franchise at this point.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ever since day 1 I've been low on Suicide Squad. The Joker reveal, the Ballroom Blitz trailer, all of it was transparently try hard. But I look forward to being proven wrong or right in an hour.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah like the notoriously lovely Training Day and Fury. I also like how so much opinion is formed based off trailers and how hard they appear to be trying. Such criticisms will immediately evaporate once the movie comes out and nobody will ever mention the trailers again, just like in BvS. The real secret is stop watching trailers for any movies. Your enjoyment of movies as a whole will rise dramatically because you no longer have the unrealistic expectations that your average trailer imbues

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 2, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah like the notoriously lovely Training Day and Fury.

Also End of Watch, and I liked Sabotage as well.

e: \/\/ :negative: my bad

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 2, 2016

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He was being sarcastic.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just found out there's a tick movie while also finding out patrick warburton isn't being given another shot at the role.

This is the first time I've gone from hype to angry in literally less than a second.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

I just found out there's a tick movie while also finding out patrick warburton isn't being given another shot at the role.

This is the first time I've gone from hype to angry in literally less than a second.

The photos released have me cautiously optimistic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The real secret is stop watching trailers for any movies. Your enjoyment of movies as a whole will rise dramatically because you no longer have the unrealistic expectations that your average trailer imbues

But the studios put so much time and money into 'leaking' their trailers and then reluctantly releasing the HD version the next day, they'd be really sad if we didn't watch them

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Suicide Squad reviews are starting to trickle in. Here's Empire's: http://www.empireonline.com/movies/suicide-squad/review/

"Like Avengers Assemble forced through a Deadpool mangle, Suicide Squad gives new life to DC’s big-screen universe. So bad-to-the-bone it’s good." 4/5 stars

[edit] People are panicking over the RT score online again, hahaha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 2, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Honest Thief posted:

Hot drat, what's going on with The Tick.

Not sure if they were going for making fun of the basketball skin trend and ended up with that or what

Yeah, seriously, The Tick cartoon is easily my favorite thing from my childhood. This just looks a little off. Ben's a cool guy, though, so I trust him.

Found a pic of The Terror, it looks amazing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But the studios put so much time and money into 'leaking' their trailers and then reluctantly releasing the HD version the next day, they'd be really sad if we didn't watch them

This made me laugh really hard, thank you

Re: Tick's costume. When I was a kid, there was a commercial for some kind of play-doh type thing that was sparkly and had a sandy-type texture to it. I can't remember what it was called, but Tick's costume appears to be made out of it. That or paper mache.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 2, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Re: Tick's costume. When I was a kid, there was a commercial for some kind of play-doh type thing that was sparkly and had a sandy-type texture to it. I can't remember what it was called, but Tick's costume appears to be made out of it. That or paper mache.

Magic Sand?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's a TV show pilot with Amazon Prime. If the audience digs it it goes to series.

The early reports for the show were confusing, saying that Warburton was going to be back, but later saying he was not in due to scheduling conflicts. Not sure if those stories were just wishful thinking or not.

Floam. Have definitely heard others make the comparison.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 2, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

feedmyleg posted:

Floam. Have definitely heard others make the comparison.

Could be either one, really

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Hopefully this one doesn't have him mowing down thugs with machine guns. #notmytick

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hopefully this one doesn't have him mowing down thugs with machine guns. #notmytick

Edlund's been talking up the different direction of the show. If you're expecting a direct adaptation of any of the previous iterations, check those expectations now. Check out this interview for more.

Anyway, despite that Empire review linked earlier most reviews seem to be fairly negative for Suicide Squad, calling it a mess beholden to corporate shared universe necessities and Snyder's stylings. Sounds like those "adding more action" reshoots they went back for made the 3rd act really bloated and cut down on their time to do proper service to character.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 2, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The DC Cinematic subreddit is on full panic mode.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

teagone posted:

The DC Cinematic subreddit is on full panic mode.

Those poor people.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Edlund's been talking up the different direction of the show. If you're expecting a direct adaptation of any of the previous iterations, check those expectations now. Check out this interview for more.

Anyway, despite that Empire review linked earlier most reviews seem to be fairly negative for Suicide Squad, calling it a mess beholden to corporate shared universe necessities and Snyder's stylings. Sounds like those "adding more action" reshoots they went back for made the 3rd act really bloated and cut down on their time to do proper service to character.

I've been following the new Tick show for a while now, I'm really eager to see it, regardless of that pic or not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Those poor people.

It's fascinating to see unfold. Also, David Ayer's response to the reviews:
https://twitter.com/davidayermovies/status/760512803270721536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

feedmyleg posted:

Sounds like those "adding more action" reshoots they went back for

Oh boy, this again. Wasn't this rumor debunked basically immediately after it was made?

• Locked thread