Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh boy, this again. Wasn't this rumor debunked basically immediately after it was made?

No. The rumor was that they were reshooting to add more humor, everyone involved in the production came out and said that it was actually to punch up the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
What I'm honestly really interested in is the Cinemascore. An A- (or an A, lol, that's not going to happen) means that we have a case of the Transformers Critic/Audience Disconnect.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Now that reviews are coming out and whatnot, please take Suicide Squad discussion over to its thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

No. The rumor was that they were reshooting to add more humor, everyone involved in the production came out and said that it was actually to punch up the action.

Didn't they also say the reshoots were scheduled months ahead of time? They weren't last minute reshoots iirc.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What I'm honestly really interested in is the Cinemascore

Man I been trying real hard to stop ragging on you for bringing up CinemaScores all the time, why you gotta do me like this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I actually forgot who was the Cinemascore guy around here so it's nice to have a reminder.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jenny Angel posted:

Man I been trying real hard to stop ragging on you for bringing up CinemaScores all the time, why you gotta do me like this

I'm a bad guy, silly. It's what I do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I actually forgot who was the Cinemascore guy around here so it's nice to have a reminder.

As far as nicknames go, I'll take "Cinemascore guy" over "loving idiot with bad opinions" ("why not both?!" chimes in Hundu)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

As far as nicknames go, I'll take "Cinemascore guy" over "loving idiot with bad opinions" ("why not both!" chimes in Hundu)

You're not making charts yet at least.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

As far as nicknames go, I'll take "Cinemascore guy" over "loving idiot with bad opinions" ("why not both?!" chimes in Hundu)

The idiots with bad opinions already know who they are.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Who cares about the scores, what we really need to judge the quality is the box office numbers.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Serious question: Do any of you use reviews or aggregators to determine if you're going to see a movie or not? They just seem pointless when you can watch a trailer within seconds and the theater-to-streaming/BluRay turnaround is like 3 months. Personally, sometimes I read them after the fact to help clarify my thoughts on a movie, but I decide on going to one if my friends want to go, it looks good from trailers, or both.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Can't speak for anyone else but: no. But I don't think a lot of people are actually using sites like Rotten Tomatoes to choose movies to watch. What they are using them for is respectability - a sort of "I liked Civil War, and the Tomatometer - which is a measure of elite consensus from people paid to assess movies in a critical capacity - agrees with me! I'm with the smart people!"

Nerd culture is a formerly outsider culture that's still obsessed with respectability and mainstreaming.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I never read reviews before a film, pretty much.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
All of the reviews seem to complain about very weird and sloppy editing again. Is there an editor at WB who is just sabotaging the DC movies for some reason?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I never read reviews before a film, pretty much.

I make exceptions for Armond White, his reviews almost always make me smile.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I make exceptions for Armond White, his reviews almost always make me smile.

I enjoy his disdain for spoilers.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Serious question: Do any of you use reviews or aggregators to determine if you're going to see a movie or not? They just seem pointless when you can watch a trailer within seconds and the theater-to-streaming/BluRay turnaround is like 3 months. Personally, sometimes I read them after the fact to help clarify my thoughts on a movie, but I decide on going to one if my friends want to go, it looks good from trailers, or both.
I can't find the article right now, but a majority of moviegoers still only decide what movie to see when they arrive at the theatre.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As it was said above, the need for a movie reviewer is dumb as hell these days when you have multiple trailers and sneak peaks at your fingertips. Back in the day there wasn't much except for Entertainment Tonight, a commercial if you were lucky and the newspaper.

Easier to form your own opinion these days.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sai posted:

I can't find the article right now, but a majority of moviegoers still only decide what movie to see when they arrive at the theatre.
This only make sense for non tentpole movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sai posted:

Yep. All the analysis in the world can't account for the fact that something like, say John Carter, failed miserably because it had a horrible title.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Occasionally I check reviews, if I don't know enough about something to determine if I want to see it or not. But high scores and praise mean far, far less to me than good review or bad, for there to be passion behind it. An extremely divisive 50% is exceedingly more attractive to me than universal faint praise. So long as a very quick skim reveals reactions being had, good to go.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I can't remember the last time I read or cared about reviews for a major blockbuster movie

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yep. All the analysis in the world can't account for the fact that something like, say John Carter, failed miserably because it had a horrible title.
I wonder how many parents won't let their kids go see Suicide Squad because they think it has something to do with militant cult indoctrination.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Reviews and word of mouth can definitely make big impacts. I know that Her and Life of Pi were not on many people's radar until they received hugely positive reviews and Oscar nominations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

john carter is probably the worst big blockbuster i've ever seen. zat movie was trash from a butt

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reviews and word of mouth can definitely make big impacts. I know that Her and Life of Pi were not on many people's radar until they received hugely positive reviews and Oscar nominations.

Isn't it the Oscar nominations that actually give them the bump though?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zelder posted:

john carter is probably the worst big blockbuster i've ever seen. zat movie was trash from a butt

I think it's alright, but the title is probably the number one reason nobody gave a gently caress about it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

my favorite part of the film was when i realized he was a captain in the confederate army in the civil war. it was like...woah. especially because i remember him saying a line like, "no war never made anyone free" when he's escaping from the guys trying to press gang him into service, and nodding along sagely at that line.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yes. I have a few critics whose taste are similar to mine, and I judge accordingly what they write, not how they score. I don't have a lot of free time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've had bad luck historically correlating trailers I like vs. the associated movies I like. If I am curious I'll see it regardless, but I read reviews to determine if I want to drop $15 at the theater for it or wait for Netflix or whatever.

I just come on CD and tally the goon opinions until I hit 7 total, and I merge into the winning majority puddle like Alex Mack. That way I'm always objectively correct.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I trust the Cinema Brad. Without him, I would have never watched A walk among the tombstones and that owned.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I trust the Cinema Brad. Without him, I would have never watched A walk among the tombstones and that owned.
Isn't that basically like Taken/The Grey?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Josh Lyman posted:

No, but The Grey is also nothing like Taken, so I don't know what that means anyway.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I used to when reviewers like Ebert who really understood and new film were alive and around. They have a point of view I could base "is this worth planning around"...around.I could read their reviews and get a general idea of what I was in for and if I'd get something from it.

Now that the aggregate sites are filled with people that just made websites and got popular enough to be on there without really studying film (I was doing the same thing in my 20's, and my reviews were as lovely as these currently are), they have become pointless because it's a POV that doesn't have any bearing on how I will receive someting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I also like how so much opinion is formed based off trailers and how hard they appear to be trying....The real secret is stop watching trailers for any movies. Your enjoyment of movies as a whole will rise dramatically because you no longer have the unrealistic expectations that your average trailer imbues

I know. Stupid loving plebes seeing advertisements and clips for movies they might want to see one day. Dumb idiots deciding to sample the tone and the general plot of something in order to gauge their interest in it. loving nerds.

How many TV's do you not own?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Serious question: Do any of you use reviews or aggregators to determine if you're going to see a movie or not?

Often, actually.

If something I was interested in is getting creamed in the reviews, I usually give it a pass or wait until Netflix. More often though, the opposite happens. It's a film that's getting really positive scores and that may have flown under my radar. It's the positive scores actually that leads me to go see it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fishylungs posted:

Isn't it the Oscar nominations that actually give them the bump though?

Not sure about Her, but Life of Pi made about 140 million domestically and it was because of the extremely positive reviews that gave the movie legs. It didn't win any Oscars until it was out of theaters.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is a great point. I think of films like Birdman, The Witch, Moneyball, The Lobster, Being John Malcovich, Gone Girl and The Big Short that I probably would have missed if the reviews hadn't been so positive.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Josh Lyman posted:

Watch it and find out.

Edit: As a short description, it's a really good gritty crime movie. Liam Neeson isn't a super badass in this one, rather playing a Noir character.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If I've already decided I'm interested in a movie, bad reviews aren't going to sway me. I'm not afraid of being disappointed by a movie, and sometimes I wind up agreeing with pretty much none of the reviews anyways. Like BvS!

But if a movie has really good reviews and I wasn't interested in it before I'll admit to checking it out because of them. Which does mean that some movies that get panned despite being great slip through my radar... But that's why I have this forum. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

I used to when reviewers like Ebert who really understood and new film were alive and around. They have a point of view I could base "is this worth planning around"...around.I could read their reviews and get a general idea of what I was in for and if I'd get something from it.

Now that the aggregate sites are filled with people that just made websites and got popular enough to be on there without really studying film (I was doing the same thing in my 20's, and my reviews were as lovely as these currently are), they have become pointless because it's a POV that doesn't have any bearing on how I will receive someting.

Ebert wasn't always on point, honestly. When he was right he as dead on, but his entire tirade against, say, the Friday the 13th Films, which are dumb fun is just stupid and more damning was his review of Gojira.

Just, all the ways the man could be wrong about a film, concentrated into one review.

Basically tread lightly with any reviewer and take your own opinions as the most important thing.

• Locked thread