Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Also, I bought this during the last Nashbar 25% off sale, and it's been surprisingly good and not poo poo.

nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Also, I bought this during the last Nashbar 25% off sale, and it's been surprisingly good and not poo poo.

What does a one day fish sale need with a bicycle sale?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's da best muthafucken metal water bottle on Earth? I drink so much of that sweetass hydro that I need a fluid chariot that matches my needs.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Inzombiac posted:

What's da best muthafucken metal water bottle on Earth? I drink so much of that sweetass hydro that I need a fluid chariot that matches my needs.

I really like Kleen Kanteen. I've only got their uninsulated 24oz, but I've had it for ten years and it's been with me every day across five continents without incident. I buy them for family/friends for gifts and I always get shout outs about how much they like them.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I wanted to turn our unused garage into a little gaming room for our old consoles, is IKEA my best bet to buy a little couch? I just want something to sink into, I might even put a giant beanbag down there. Any furniture recommendations?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Elderbean posted:

I wanted to turn our unused garage into a little gaming room for our old consoles, is IKEA my best bet to buy a little couch? I just want something to sink into, I might even put a giant beanbag down there. Any furniture recommendations?

For beanbag chairs you can look at SumoLounge or Jaxx Beanbags, but what's your budget and what size chair do you really need?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

signalnoise posted:

For beanbag chairs you can look at SumoLounge or Jaxx Beanbags, but what's your budget and what size chair do you really need?

Budget is around 400 bucks, and something that can fit two people.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Oh that's easy. A loveseat can easily be found somewhere on the internet or in a warehouse showroom for 400. I wouldn't go with IKEA myself, they're more of a shelving place to me. I have never been impressed with their seating.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Elderbean posted:

Is there a reason you would eschew consignment? IKEA doesn't have anything great in that price range.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Inzombiac posted:

40oz hydro flask

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Elderbean posted:

I literally just ordered a giant beanbag this morning from ultimatesack.com. They seem to stack up pretty well against the more expensive ones for the price (same amount of foam, washable covers, etc) http://www.ultimatesack.com/bean-bag-comparison.asp

Lovesacs look amazing but with those fancy fur covers you're well over $1000 for the big ones.

I got a 6' sack that weighs ~70lbs with a matching footstool for $250 shipped. I'm cautiously optimistic, but if it's a POS at least I'll only be out $250. Regardless my kids will probably love it.

Do you have a biglots near you? Ours always has cheap furniture. YMMV, but my sister got a really comfy couch there that has held up really well for 10+ years and a few moves.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

signalnoise posted:

Oh that's easy. A loveseat can easily be found somewhere on the internet or in a warehouse showroom for 400. I wouldn't go with IKEA myself, they're more of a shelving place to me. I have never been impressed with their seating.

IKEA is great if you have limited space, but price wise it's not the cheapest these days.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

1redflag posted:

I really like Kleen Kanteen. I've only got their uninsulated 24oz, but I've had it for ten years and it's been with me every day across five continents without incident. I buy them for family/friends for gifts and I always get shout outs about how much they like them.

This but insulated. The insulated ones are really good.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Hydro flask is the best water bottle for that vip drinking.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Can anyone recommend me a good torch lighter?

Budget of ~$20

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I pulled the trigger on a pure 40oz. Hydro Flask. That poo poo is expensive but it seems like they last forever.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Inzombiac posted:

I pulled the trigger on a pure 40oz. Hydro Flask. That poo poo is expensive but it seems like they last forever.

Awesome cold (or warm) beverages on demand is awesome. Love the insulation. Keeps my water nice and cold all long during my 12 hour shift. Granted I get really weird looks drinking from it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a good whittling knife?

The wife and I went camping this weekend and she has a desire to just hack away at wood while we sit by the fire. I'd like to get her something nicer than the Canadian Tire special I have now.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What's a cheap way to cool a small room? I live in Seattle and the temperatures here are pretty mild, most buildings don't have A/C. There are a few weeks out of the year when it gets warm though, and we'd like to keep our computer room cool.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There are a ton of DIY dry ice boxes you can make for dirt cheap. They do work very well for small spaces but can be a hassle to set up.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

m.hache posted:

Can anyone recommend a good whittling knife?

The wife and I went camping this weekend and she has a desire to just hack away at wood while we sit by the fire. I'd like to get her something nicer than the Canadian Tire special I have now.

All of these are well regarded knives

https://www.amazon.com/Flexcut-Carvin-Jack-Right-Hand/dp/B000ZUBDV0 - Also available left handed if she's a wierdo
https://www.amazon.com/Flexcut-Tool-JKN88-Whittlin-Jack/dp/B005V400AA
https://www.amazon.com/115465-Carvers-Congress-Whittler-Rosewood/dp/B000O52W1Q

If you live near a Woodcraft Store they offer (paid) classes in woodcarving or you can just go talk to the employees there. Everyone I have talked to at the store near me has been very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have a good recommendation on Bluetooth headphones? I want something my wife can use while running around the kitchen baking. She tends to prefer earbuds to anything over the ear. Preferably under $100.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation on Bluetooth headphones? I want something my wife can use while running around the kitchen baking. She tends to prefer earbuds to anything over the ear. Preferably under $100.

I have the same question but for over ear headphones! (for me, not for a spouse)

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Try the QY8s. They're cheap but rather good. I rotate between an old QY7 pair and QY8s and they haven't had a single glitch. Sound quality is decent, QY7 has more bass than QY8, which is more balanced.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012HYM0KE

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks! Those look almost perfect. I wish they had the little volume and microphone dongle. (I know I didn't ask for that, but that would be even better.)

Edit: is the QY 12 basically the same thing but with volume control and mic? Can it do the "click to pause and/or answer" that the iPhone cables can?

Arcturas has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Aug 2, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

VioletCorsica posted:

I have the same question but for over ear headphones! (for me, not for a spouse)

If you're looking for testimonials, I'm going to direct you both over to the Headphones thread in IYG for better answers.

The Wirecutter has like 15 different categories of headphone recommendations based on type and price.

Also, since everyone's ears are a little different, fit is going to be really touchy so I'd prepare for returning products.

Arcturas - I had real problems with Wirecutter's recommendation of JLab Epics. I liked the fit and the sound but I had real connection issues. I had them replaced twice by Epic before I got a complete refund from Amazon. I went with the jaybird X2s which had less great fit but rock solid connection. All that said, Epic released the Epic2 with upgraded internals. May be worth trying out.

VioletCorsica - Wirecutter recommends the Jabra MOVE wireless set.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thwomp posted:

If you're looking for testimonials, I'm going to direct you both over to the Headphones thread in IYG for better answers.

VioletCorsica - Wirecutter recommends the Jabra MOVE wireless set.

Thank you! Ordered. I need to obscure the ratio of lectures to pop music I listen to. New house, new housemates.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Thanks! Those look almost perfect. I wish they had the little volume and microphone dongle. (I know I didn't ask for that, but that would be even better.)

Edit: is the QY 12 basically the same thing but with volume control and mic? Can it do the "click to pause and/or answer" that the iPhone cables can?

The QY7 and QY8 have these controls, they're just on the earbuds themselves. QY8 has a nice big start/stop/call/whatever button on the right earbud, QY7 has a smaller button that's a pain. Volume controls on the left earbud if I'm remembering correctly.

Dunno about the QY12, and I assume "yes" re iPhone control, though I only use them with Android.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any recommendations for a canvas backpack? Amazon is full of Chinese ones with loads of dodgy 5 star reviews. Under $100 preferable but if someone can swear by a bag or if it has a good guarantee I'm willing to pay more.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Any recommendations for a canvas backpack? Amazon is full of Chinese ones with loads of dodgy 5 star reviews. Under $100 preferable but if someone can swear by a bag or if it has a good guarantee I'm willing to pay more.

What kind of features are you looking for, and what size?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just for going around town so on the small side: enough room for a camera, light jacket etc. The main thing is that it's well made. Doesn't need laptop pockets or millions of compartments. Probably around 20ltrs.

Chas McGill has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Aug 2, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Just for going around town so on the small side: enough room for a camera, light jacket etc. The main thing is that it's well made. Doesn't need laptop pockets or millions of compartments. Probably around 20ltrs.

"Well made" is subjective but if you can stomach only have 16.5 liters,

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/backpacks/products/daylight-backpack?variant=24669585671

That's my suggestion for a light day pack. It's not canvas, but canvas is garbage if it's not waxed in my opinion, and that costs money.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah I was looking at waxed canvas and it's big money. That bag looks decent and I like how many colour options there are. Thanks

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a windshield mount for my cell phone. The swivel in the one that came with has worn out and won't stay in place anymore.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

I'm looking for a windshield mount for my cell phone. The swivel in the one that came with has worn out and won't stay in place anymore.

This isn't a windshield mount, but it's excellent:

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE...netic+car+mount

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

stubblyhead posted:

Make sure there are no restrictions where you live on windshield mounts. They're not often well-publicized.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Chas McGill posted:

Spend an extra 50 bucks and get a Chrome bag.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Spend an extra 50 bucks and get a Chrome bag.

If we're boosting the price range,

http://www.mixedworks.com/en/backpacks/swift.html

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Looking for a fabric/garment steamer. Sick and tired of having to iron all these drat dress shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

Me too, but I need a wide rear end one to hold an iphone 6 in a Lifeproof battery pack. I have a great one but it doesn't open up wide enough.