Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fister Roboto posted:

He didn't even try though. I agree that it's in character for him and "good" in that context, but it's still frustrating as heck.

Captain Dumbass believed his temporary field commission gave him actual, real authority and Nog seemed to believe that too since he started immediately respecting the chain of command, even before he was all the way on board as part of the crew. No one would have recognized Nog as having authority over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He's not stupendously wealthy, no, but he has a solid business with a good income which lets him employ people and even take care of his widowed mother. Cousin Gaela owned a moon, sure, but he was in a phenomenally risky business and eventually lost it all. Quark is a solid ferengi, the backbone of a stable economy.

I don't know whether other Ferengi would sneer about him not paying rent or commend him for taking advantage of Federation idiocy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I think the really frustrating thing about the episode is that at the end Nog tells Jake to tell both sides of the story or whatever instead of doubling down on his (correct) opinion that Watters was a terrible captain who got everybody killed.

I thought he meant to have some sympathy for these college kids who were wildly out of their depths. Captain Dumbass was a charismatic figure who could have become a good leader, ensign cry face was just a kid who wanted to go home, don't call them all flaming retards.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

The worst part of that episode to me is how Nog didn't use his authority as an actual real officer (albeit a pretty new one) and order them to quit acting like retards.

loving cadets.
I thought the red squad leader was breveted up to being a captain, and outranked Nog.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know whether other Ferengi would sneer about him not paying rent or commend him for taking advantage of Federation idiocy.

Does he not pay rent? It's a Bajorian station which they let the federation operate out of. Bajor probably gets payed a rent by the federation and they probably want their taxes for the shops in there too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They threaten him with rent at one point if he doesn't behave. Including back payments dated to the Federation takeover.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In one episode(I forget which) Sisko threatens Quark by saying he'll actually start charging him rent if he doesn't bend the knee. And at least one other time Quark concedes the fact the Federation don't care about rent to be a plus point in their favour.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hmm okay. Bajor probably still gets theirs, just directly from the Federation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a bit confusing how Bajor struggles with environmental remediation in the first few seasons when the Federation is right there in orbit. Presumably that's the kind of thing the feds would be delighted to help with free of charge.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's probably a lot of rules concerning what they can and can't do for non member planets, and Bajor does want to become a member iirc, presumably to reap the benefits.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The whole point of those first two seasons is that many Bajorans are hostile and suspicious of the Federation and are worried relying too heavily on them would lead to Bajor falling under the control of another alien power. Like seriously there's at least a dozen episodes were this is explicitly stated.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a bit confusing how Bajor struggles with environmental remediation in the first few seasons when the Federation is right there in orbit. Presumably that's the kind of thing the feds would be delighted to help with free of charge.

Star Trek Online reveals that the Bijoran civilians will shoot federation firefighters on sight.

They aren't exactly friendly to outside involvement.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

WickedHate posted:

And by human standards, sure, he's got a nice gig going, but Ferangi don't "settle".

It's weird to me that you know so much about Ferengi but are not spelling their name correctly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bajor is basically modern day Turkey.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BattleMaster posted:

It's weird to me that you know so much about Ferengi but are not spelling their name correctly.

I'm a terrible speller with normal words, much less sci fi bullshit. :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

BattleMaster posted:

Ferenczy :eng101:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ferengi is a real word.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Paradoxish posted:

Captain Dumbass believed his temporary field commission gave him actual, real authority and Nog seemed to believe that too since he started immediately respecting the chain of command, even before he was all the way on board as part of the crew. No one would have recognized Nog as having authority over them.
This is basically how Kirk gets and keeps command in the new films. Because the writers are either dumbasses who believe that someone being told "you're in charge until I get back" means they instantly get promoted from (ungraduated) cadet to captain and stay there, or are contemptuous enough of their audience to think they believe that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
edit- ^^^ that's basically the only thing I can bring myself to nerd rage out over with new films. It drives me crazy that other than Spock, none of the JJTrek characters have any real history as Starfleet officers and just kind of get dumped into their roles fully formed. It feels lazy and unnecessary and I hate it. :saddowns:

Baka-nin posted:

The whole point of those first two seasons is that many Bajorans are hostile and suspicious of the Federation and are worried relying too heavily on them would lead to Bajor falling under the control of another alien power. Like seriously there's at least a dozen episodes were this is explicitly stated.

Hell, there's even a two parter where they literally stage a coup in part to kick the Federation out.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 2, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The major plot thread of the pilot which the Prophets and wormhole tie into is that the Provisional Government (who invited the Federation in) is so weak and unstable that even the Federation thinks they'll probably be kicked out before they've finished cleaning up the station. It takes the Bajoran popes endorsement and Sisko finding the Bajoran Gods and getting made messiah for things to cool down for a bit. And even after all that they still try to kick the Feds out.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

edit- ^^^ that's basically the only thing I can bring myself to nerd rage out over with new films. It drives me crazy that other than Spock, none of the JJTrek characters have any real history as Starfleet officers and just kind of get dumped into their roles fully formed. It feels lazy and unnecessary and I hate it. :saddowns:

Hell, there's even a two parter where they literally stage a coup in part to kick the Federation out.

This is a major irritant for me, though this movie generally allowed me to ignore it by not bringing it up like the last two did. Chris Pine is now one year older than Shatner was when the series started.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It was also so easy for Orci and Kurtzman to have fixed, too, which is more galling. Have Pike say something like how Kirk proved himself, so once he's got enough academy credits to graduate, he'll be commissioned as, like, Lt Commander, and if he plays his cards right, he might be a captain before he's 30. Then "X YEARS LATER", do the final scene as it exists.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Paradoxish posted:

I've felt, and maybe said as much here before, that they should've added a second time skip in between Kirk's academic tribunal and Nero blowing up Vulcan. Where the result of the tribunal was that Kirk didn't get kicked out of Starfleet, but the only job he can get is janitor on the Enterprise because Pike loves him so. It would have made the rivalry between Kirk and Spock feel more earned, and wouldn't have made his ascension to the captain's chair quite as jarring, because at the very least he's a for real officer in Starfleet.

remusclaw posted:

Chris Pine is now one year older than Shatner was when the series started.
I know choose to think that line in the movie where Kirk says he's a year older than his dad ever got to be is also a reference to this :aaaaa:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bryan Fuller suggested in an interview with AICN that Discovery is set pre-TOS.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The new show starts in 5 months, and Fuller & Co. haven't mentioned the new cast, or definitively when the show is set.

What the hell kind of production is this?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gonz posted:

The new show starts in 5 months, and Fuller & Co. haven't mentioned the new cast, or definitively when the show is set.

It's probably bad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A broke rear end one with too many cooks.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Gonz posted:

A secret one, apparently.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

GreenNight posted:

A broke rear end one with too many cooks.

Broth Status: Spoiled

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gonz posted:

It's concerning, that's for sure. I mean I'm happy with who they have as show runners, but CBS is doing a pretty awful job here otherwise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

There's a panel scheduled for the show at the Television Critics Association tour next Wednesday, and I have to presume that by that point they'll make some more definitive announcements.

In any event, given that this feels like a half-hearted attempt at getting people to sign up for the (incredibly lovely) All Access service, I can't believe it's being done on anything more than a shoestring budget. And considering how quiet they've been about Nick Meyer's involvement for a while, it wouldn't shock me if he's already quietly dropped out.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So long as they cast the show by visiting a Canadian Shakespeare festival, it should go well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

remusclaw posted:

This is a major irritant for me, though this movie generally allowed me to ignore it by not bringing it up like the last two did. Chris Pine is now one year older than Shatner was when the series started.

This is a weird consequence of how the movies are marketed: basically the producers are worried that if teens and twentysomethings can't relate to the characters, no one will watch the movie (which is probably true enough). Which is why Quinto still plays Spock like a manchild despite being older than Nimoy was when he played the character for the first time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It'll be set in the TOS Mirror Universe, and the Captain of the Discovery will be none other than Roger Cross.

Because Roger Cross is everywhere at all times.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Which is why Quinto still plays Spock like a manchild despite being older than Nimoy was when he played the character for the first time.

To be honest, I think it's more that Quinto doesn't have much range as an actor. He was basically cast as Spock because the Internet created an uproar over how much of a resemblance he bore to young Nimoy. He doesn't have much capacity for subtlety and a lot of his inflection is closer to Tim Russ' Tuvok than anything else.

Spock in the turbolift near the beginning of The Final Frontier, taking a whiff, pausing, then saying, "... yes," after Kirk says he could use a shower, is such a wonderfully underplayed bit and Quinto couldn't hit something like that, it's just not in his wheelhouse. I'm really interested to see how he's going to play Glenn Greenwald in Snowden, and by "interested" I mean "can't wait to see how goofy it is."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

There's a panel scheduled for the show at the Television Critics Association tour next Wednesday, and I have to presume that by that point they'll make some more definitive announcements.

In any event, given that this feels like a half-hearted attempt at getting people to sign up for the (incredibly lovely) All Access service, I can't believe it's being done on anything more than a shoestring budget. And considering how quiet they've been about Nick Meyer's involvement for a while, it wouldn't shock me if he's already quietly dropped out.

I wouldn't go so far as to speculate on people dropping out of the project already, but it's pretty jarring how the lack of info, the time crunch and that lovely trailer derailed what hype there was for it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's concerning, that's for sure. I mean I'm happy with who they have as show runners, but CBS is doing a pretty awful job here otherwise.

I was discussing this with a few people at work during lunch the other day, and most of them didn't even know there was a new show coming up. When they heard that it was on some sort of half-assed CBS streaming service, they seemed even less enthusiastic.

"I already have Netflix and Hulu, why the hell would I pay monthly for yet another thing?" was the general consensus amongst the group.

I'm sure a lot more people around the world feel the same way. Just put the goddamn show on CBS and it'll either sink or swim. Stop trying to make All-Access happen, CBS. It's not going to happen. Your show is going to be pirated into dust.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to speculate on people dropping out of the project already, but it's pretty jarring how the lack of info, the time crunch and that lovely trailer derailed what hype there was for it.

My primary basis behind the idea of Meyer potentially dropping out is that if you're going to please the nerds, you bring out the guy who made some of the most beloved movies in the series at Comic-Con. Beyond that, Fuller and Meyer are both notoriously difficult to work with (I wrote up a huge effortpost about the Nimoy / Meyer feud a few pages back) and it wouldn't stun me if he had just decided to part ways, considering loving Kurtzman is the other guy running the show. Pure supposition, I know, but just thinking out loud.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Timby posted:

To be honest, I think it's more that Quinto doesn't have much range as an actor. He was basically cast as Spock because the Internet created an uproar over how much of a resemblance he bore to young Nimoy. He doesn't have much capacity for subtlety and a lot of his inflection is closer to Tim Russ' Tuvok than anything else.

Spock in the turbolift near the beginning of The Final Frontier, taking a whiff, pausing, then saying, "... yes," after Kirk says he could use a shower, is such a wonderfully underplayed bit and Quinto couldn't hit something like that, it's just not in his wheelhouse. I'm really interested to see how he's going to play Glenn Greenwald in Snowden, and by "interested" I mean "can't wait to see how goofy it is."

Fair point, though the comparison to Russ is harsh on Russ. Tuvok is a pretty serious, well-defined, and respectable character, which is more than you can say about Quinto's Spock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Bajor is basically modern day Turkey.

I'd say more like post-Cold War Afghanistan.