Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
King Crimson's "Eyes Wide Open" and "Neal, Jack, And Me" are great. Karnivool Live At The Forum is excellent. And yes, any of the Rush live DVDs are a good option - although "A Show Of Hands" is my least favorite. "Exit...Stage Left" is my personal favorite from them. That version of Bytor is killer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
If you're cool with Dream Theater, their Score DVD is pretty good. It's their 20th anniversary tour so there's a wide variety of songs

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Rollersnake posted:

Talk Talk - Live at Montreux 1986
From their last tour, and I don't think there's a single song that doesn't surpass the studio version. I can't imagine not being a Talk Talk fan after watching this, that's how good it is.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNIIOr3g8lQ

Thanks for reminding of this. It really is a brilliant performance. Even if you have a slight interest in Talk Talk this is worth putting on.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Incoherence posted:

And now the same guys have a new album, which sounds like more of the same. Not that I'm calling that a bad thing :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B97Ifr9pPy4
Kinda hoping that the Haken/Thank You Scientist tour sprouts a San Francisco date at some point.

Thank You Scientist is one of my favorite bands currently. They're streaming their entire album a week in advance here http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/stream-thank-you-scientists-wild-ride-of-an-prog-rock-album-stranger-heads-prevail/ if anyone wants to check it out.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
the pineapple theif have a new album coming out in a couple of weeks and they just released the second song from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LTh10MHMOo

featuring gavin harrison on drums. so good

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy moly new Disillusion stuff is actually happening

https://youtu.be/4AZaunKwXAE

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
There is apparently a new Van Der Graaf Generator coming out on September 30th, titled "Do Not Disturb". Is that news?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Pain of Salvation's Remedy Lane got a remix treatment from Jens Bogren, and the result was released a couple weeks ago. It's... eh. One of the more endearing things to me about the original album is that the tracks all had a slightly different feel to the mix that paired with the particular emotions of that specific song, and that seems to have been flattened out. Some of the more subtle moments vocally are evened out a bit too much, and occasionally the quiet parts are buried under the over-mechanized snare drum.

The live performance on the second disc is really good, though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Turns out after all these years I still know, by heart, an embarrassing amount of the lyrics from Scenes From A Memory. :negative:

Vulture Culture posted:

Pain of Salvation's Remedy Lane got a remix treatment from Jens Bogren, and the result was released a couple weeks ago. It's... eh. One of the more endearing things to me about the original album is that the tracks all had a slightly different feel to the mix that paired with the particular emotions of that specific song, and that seems to have been flattened out. Some of the more subtle moments vocally are evened out a bit too much, and occasionally the quiet parts are buried under the over-mechanized snare drum.

The live performance on the second disc is really good, though.

That was one of my favorites as a younger lad, might have to give it a listen.

E: It feels meatier in a way that I dig, but I understand your fears about the nuance being gone.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 30, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

A bit late but the death has been announced of Roye Albrighton (67) of Nektar. Nope, never heard of them either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nektar

Any recommendations?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

A bit late but the death has been announced of Roye Albrighton (67) of Nektar. Nope, never heard of them either:

Any recommendations?

Down to Earth is probably their biggest-seller and a solid starting place.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.

tao of lmao posted:

Thank You Scientist is one of my favorite bands currently. They're streaming their entire album a week in advance here http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/stream-thank-you-scientists-wild-ride-of-an-prog-rock-album-stranger-heads-prevail/ if anyone wants to check it out.

I've never really listened to prog rock before but I am absolutely in love with both of Thank You Scientist's albums. If this is even remotely close to what I can get from other prog rock bands I've been missing out.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Parasara posted:

I've never really listened to prog rock before but I am absolutely in love with both of Thank You Scientist's albums. If this is even remotely close to what I can get from other prog rock bands I've been missing out.

There aren't many bands that sound like Thank You Scientist, to be honest. I saw them live a couple years back at a progressive music festival in Chapel Hill, NC, and they were one of the highlights of the weekend. They seem to have picked up a bit of popularity since Coheed and Cambria took them on a national tour as their support band, and, I believe, signed them to their record label. Fitting since their singers sound nearly identical!

That said, you might enjoy In the Presence of Wolves, who'll be playing at this year's edition of the same festival a month from now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtn8M4D7wU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A.C.T is probably the closest I can think of to Thank You Scientist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAKeRKGmRCA

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.

Paladinus posted:

A.C.T is probably the closest I can think of to Thank You Scientist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAKeRKGmRCA

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm loving A.C.T and what little I've squeezed in of In The Presence Of Wolves between binging thru A.C.T. Kind of liking everything I've heard so far.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm currently halfway through Yeti by Amon Duul II and it rules. Peace.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Ihsahn's latest album is pretty amazing. He does some of his trademark metal vocals, but through and through the album is more proggy than metallic. Some incredible guest vocals too, I'd recommend sitting through at least the entire first track before passing judgement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ_ak5pGQjs

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
This was a high point of Three of a Perfect Pair camp this year for me - Adrian Belew singing 'Heroes' (Bowie) backed by absolutely terrified camp attendees, who are friends of mine. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589kWTe1Sw0

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Any recommendations?

Remember the future is pretty awesome. Recycled was the first album I got by them, not bad either. Sad news that he died. If I still had my radio show I'd be hosting a nektar marathon.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Unlikely considering how small it is, but is anyone else going to ProgDay tomorrow/Sunday? I'm totally blown away by some of the bands, especially Bent Knee, and I'm glad I'll finally be able to see Deus Ex Machina and Discipline after all these years.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Bent Knee are amazing and from what I've heard, incredible live.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Going to see Haken, Leprous, Devin Townsend, and Steven Wilson all within the next two months in Portland. Plus Sleep, but that's a story for another thread.

Going to be a pretty amazing streak of shows, especially with Haken and Leprous playing in ridiculously tiny venues. Bars, basically. Hell, I played a gig at the venue Haken is playing. Seems unfair, but I'm stoked.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Picked up King Crimson's new "Radical Action" live set and it's pretty awesome. Great versions of a lot of their classics on here. Haven't watched the blu-ray yet, but the CDs are well worth it if you love live Crimson.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

How is everyone liking Sorceress? I'm trying to dig it but the production is kind of ruining it for me, it's very bass-heavy verging on muddy.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It's boring and bad. Damnation was a really good album so it's not just the lack of heavy parts, they just can't write interesting songs in the retro-prog style they're doing now.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

il_cornuto posted:

It's boring and bad. Damnation was a really good album so it's not just the lack of heavy parts, they just can't write interesting songs in the retro-prog style they're doing now.

such a shame because they were so good at their peak :(

the new pineapple thief album has been on repeat for the last month and a half for me. it's not as prog as their early stuff but it's very very good. please listen to the pineapple thief if you haven't before, there are some gems in their back catalogue and i think they are criminally under-popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZTj15ytEEQ

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I'm exploring Jethro Tull and just picked up the Steven Wilson mix / 40th anniversary edition of Aqualung. I don't know if the original recording was just really good, or if Steven did his voodoo again, but for a 40 year old album, it certainly doesn't sound dated.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Any Euros planning on seeing KC? The set list says they played Indiscipline in Antwerp and Jakko sang, which would be the first possible use of Ade's lyrics. This frankly is a mild shock to me and others I know who know Robert and Adrian but if anyone can confirm that Jakko is singing Ade's lyrics pls advise.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The Steven Wilson mix of Aqualung is outstanding and a big improvement over the original. Not as marked an improvement as Lizard, but it's really great.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

people talk poo poo about lizard but I have a first uk pressing copy and it sounds awesome

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

strap on revenge posted:

people talk poo poo about lizard but I have a first uk pressing copy and it sounds awesome

It's not a bad album it's just very lopsided. Lizard the song is amazing. The rest of the album is.. not terrible but definitely some of their weaker material from their early days and Gordon Haskell was just not the right fit

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

Any Euros planning on seeing KC? The set list says they played Indiscipline in Antwerp and Jakko sang, which would be the first possible use of Ade's lyrics. This frankly is a mild shock to me and others I know who know Robert and Adrian but if anyone can confirm that Jakko is singing Ade's lyrics pls advise.

I was at the November 3 set in Antwerp. Jakko did in fact sing Indiscipline but not at all like Adrian's weird disjointed talking way, he basically just used his normal singing voice.

It was kickin' rad by the way, you can imagine how insane the Indiscipline intro is with the triple drummer lineup. My most repeated thought throughout the entire set was basically "I don't think Pat and Gavin are humans... :stare: "

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Went and saw Wilson at the Belly Up in San Diego last night. As usual he killed, but a couple of things stood out:

1. Adam Holzman is a loving amazing keyboardist. The man is very talented on the keys.
2. The backdrop visuals dont work very well in smaller venues, so if you ever get a chance to see him, go to a bigger venue to get the full experience. This especially rang true for "The Raven who..". It was barely visible.
3. Wilson should double as a comedian.

Pretty good view of Holzman doing his thing.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 7, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Asked in Recommendation Thread but thought I'd ask here as well if that's okay: can anyone recommend me any 1970s style progressive-ish rock on the more jazz/funk/fusion/R&B end of the spectrum?

I am thinking along the lines of Brian Auger & the Trinity or Ginger Baker's Air Force.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Earwicker posted:

It's not a bad album it's just very lopsided. Lizard the song is amazing. The rest of the album is.. not terrible but definitely some of their weaker material from their early days and Gordon Haskell was just not the right fit

everything about that album is all wrong and that's why I love it

SW's remix really brings it out because he made the choice to make it MORE chaotic and unlike most remasters he actually brought in new parts that were left out of the original

listening to the remastered "Happy Family" with the volume cranked is truly terrifying

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Asked in Recommendation Thread but thought I'd ask here as well if that's okay: can anyone recommend me any 1970s style progressive-ish rock on the more jazz/funk/fusion/R&B end of the spectrum?

I am thinking along the lines of Brian Auger & the Trinity or Ginger Baker's Air Force.
Three I've been playing a lot recently:

Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zekDStrU4vg

Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_TxIBJ7T0M

Weather Report - Black Market
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaMT-OlCTmM

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the Jean-Luc Ponty one but the other two didn't really have the melodies to keep my attention.

My knowledge of Weather Report begins and ends with Heavy Weather as it does for most people. My taste in jazz doesn't really get very far past hard bop. :v:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

In rough order of preference.

-Lenny White - Venusian Summer is one of my favorite fusion/funk albums, and it has strong prog elements. Mating Drive is absolute fire.
-Mingo Lewis's solo album bears the marks of Santana and Return to Forever, which he was involved in. But I like the energy here more than on any of those bands' work.
-Anything by David Sancious. Dance of the Age of Enlightenment is cheesy as gently caress but that synthwork is so good.
-I think some Japanese bands like Kenso and Ain Soph are what you're looking for, since they're symphonic prog with heavy fusion elements, but they're post-70s (Japan's prog scene got a late start).
-Some RPI is heavily fusion-oriented, like Agora, Etna, Arti & Mestieri, and modern RPI band Deus Ex Machina.
-Iceberg, one of the best Spanish bands. Musica Urbana are also good.
-Shadowfax - Watercourse Way.
-Rahmann's s/t. Zeuhl-y fusion meets Arabic folk.
-Larry Coryell, especially the stuff with Eleventh House.
-The New Tony Williams Lifetime - Believe It! Holdsworth on guitar.
-Blue Effect/Modry Efekt's material. Their debut is a good start.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will check some of those out, thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Re-listening to Lizard.

I love Cirkus. Lady of the Dancing Water is pretty good.

Some of Prince Rupert really fits Jon Anderson's voice, but when he's on the "burn a bridge" section, it's awkward. Anderson was just meant to sing nonsensical lyrics, I guess. Bolero fiddled around almost too long before it picked up and the rest of the B side is alright.