Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zoux posted:

Not really. "I supported him through the judge thing, the muslim thing and the Gold Star thing but not helping me get re-elected? That's a bridge too far"

I suppose you also have to take into account Paul Ryan is a gutless coward so the chances of him just getting angry enough to try to take The Don with him are very low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

zoux posted:

Not really. "I supported him through the judge thing, the muslim thing and the Gold Star thing but not helping me get re-elected? That's a bridge too far"

As a proper Randian would you expect anything besides attacking his personal wallet to sway his opinion.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Reminder that none of them can actually pull their endorsements now, because Obama said it was a good idea literally only hours ago.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zophar posted:

Reminder that none of them can actually pull their endorsements now, because Obama said it was a good idea literally only hours ago.

As good as campaign obama is, troll obama I think is his final form.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Night10194 posted:

I suppose you also have to take into account Paul Ryan is a gutless coward so the chances of him just getting angry enough to try to take The Don with him are very low.

Zophar posted:

None of the Republican leadership is going to renounce their endorsements of Trump unless they all agree to do it all at once. No one wants to be the one guy Trumpies are going to laser-focus their blame on when Trump loses.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Is Donald Trump just trying to insult literally every possible group to prove he can win with a severe handicap?

He's shooting the moon.

Is Hearts too obscure a game for political metaphor these days? It's a game of evasion where you can win by deliberately doing everything to lose. It's nothing but tricks, and there's a dark queen that will gently caress your poo poo up unless you win all the hearts!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zophar posted:

Who was the guy saying "gee I hope Obama calling Trump unfit doesn't backfire". Lol.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

TheBigAristotle posted:

Too Many Crooks

:golfclap: Just wanted to say this did not go unappreciated

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

paul ryan was convinced to take the position of speaker, which he knew full well doomed the presidency he was being groomed for, because gop leaders literally begged him. He has absolutely no willpower. He'll probably be the last remaining person on the SS trumptanic.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Joe Biden can officiate a wedding? Is that a power from being the VP or something else?

The article say he obtained a temporary certification from DC. Look, if Unca Joe calls up and says, hey, can I get approval to perform a marriage, who's going to say no?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So, Paul Ryan isn't going to lose his primary or reelection no matter how hard Trump tries to gently caress him over. What's his plan going forward, though? He's gotta know the chances of Trump winning are minimal, so how's he going to come out of this with his political career intact without destroying his credibility as a leader? Denounce Trump on November 9th and pretend this year never happened? His seat is safe for the forseeable future but I can't imagine he'd be satisfied with resigning as speaker.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's clearly been trying to have it both ways and it's not working.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'd say she thinks Florida would be such an effective knockout punch against Trump that it's a greater priority than any of the more blueish swing states.

Holding PA and taking FL+VA means Clinton wins, so yeah. (She could theoretically win even if she lost all 3 of those)

Adding more states on after that just pads the EV victory margin and honestly that needs to happen. Trump losing a close election would mean a Real Conservative could've won. Trump getting blown away in some 350+ EV beatdown would at least have the chance to cause some GOP in-fighting as they try to purge the loudest of the white wing Trumpstaffel types.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Antti posted:

This DNC thing to me sounds like a normal reshuffle but the media is desperate for anything negative about the Dems so CNN wants to spin it into a DEMOCRATS IN DISARRAY story.

When in history has a reshuffle of the Chair(day before convention), CEO, CFO, and Communications Director(right after convention) ever taken place? Just wondering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ayekappy posted:

When in history has a reshuffle of the Chair(day before convention), CEO, CFO, and Communications Director(right after convention) ever taken place? Just wondering.

Generally the chair steps down after the convention, I dunno if it's traditional for the rest of the leadership to do the same.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

karlor posted:

:golfclap: Just wanted to say this did not go unappreciated

Just the emote I was looking for!

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Wait a minute... With so many downticket candidates trying to distance themselves from trump, why would ryan and mccain view trump not endorsing them as a bad thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/teddyschleifer/status/759831235900248064

Surprisingly, no Rand. Von Mises and Hayek though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Roflan posted:

Wait a minute... With so many downticket candidates trying to distance themselves from trump, why would ryan and mccain view trump not endorsing them as a bad thing?

Because both have publicly bent the knee and endorsed Trump. It makes them look dumb and weak.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Amergin posted:

It's too early to tell in the general, and this also smacks of the same "common sense election logic" that failed miserably in the primary.

The present isn't the future, sure.

However, the state polling was right about Trump all through the Republican primary. Trump winning wasn't a wacky unforeseen outcome if you looked at the data - people just chose to ignore the data way past the point where it made any sense to do so (including Nate Silver.) LOL NOTHING MATTERS catchphrase poo poo notwithstanding, Trump showed no magical ability to do much beyond what the polls said he would do. Occasionally he even under-performed.

Now the same type of data that accurately predicted Trump winning says Trump is hosed in the general election, and fundamentally has been hosed basically all along.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I wonder what would happen if Trump came out and openly endorsed Ryan's challenger and denounced Ryan. To wit:
- Ryan still wins reelection and retains Speakership but is likely forced to actually campaign (he's already bought ad buys)
- Ryan retracts endorsement but Trump has preempted him here making it a hollow retractment
- Trump still loses GE, but...
- A laughable amount of infighting erupts on a scale not predictable

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 2, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

whydirt posted:

Because both have publicly bent the knee and endorsed Trump. It makes them look dumb and weak.
So does endorsing Trump :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

So does endorsing Trump :v:

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of arguments for both sides, you can make a case for either choice.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

zoux posted:

Ugh that's a gross reading list even without Rand.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zoux posted:

Rise of the Warrior Cop? They do know that's anti police militarization right?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FetusSlapper posted:

This picture: has cheered me up more than any amount of alcohol so far today.

Holy crap is that kid holding his phone in landscape mode?

There's hope for the future.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Haven't seen it posted -- here are the numbers ($$$) that the Hilldawg rasied in July:

- about $90 million total
- from the total, about $63 million for her campain
- from the total, about $26 million for the DNC

- Hillary still has about $58 million on hand

e: (54% of the money raised in July were from new donors)

e2: the average donation, through Hillary For America, was $44

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Levon in the USPOL thread, it's a beautiful day

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rise of the Warrior Cop? They do know that's anti police militarization right?

"Warrior Cop? Hell yeah, that sounds badass, add it to the list"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Isn't John McCain the guy who only got anywhere because of nepotism and who actively caused the deaths of dozens of servicemen on the Forrestal and got away with it because nepotism?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Dexo posted:

lol Hillary really thinks PA and VA are safe doesn't she.

The media markets in VA are more expensive than average, so a VA campaign will tend to be heavier on field/mail than TV.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'd say she thinks Florida would be such an effective knockout punch against Trump that it's a greater priority than any of the more blueish swing states.

Did she say this in Florida? Because candidates will tell every BG state that they're the most important BG state.

zoux posted:

Every state not on that list is considered safe for one party or the other, we've known for a while this election would come down to about 9 states, of which trump needs 7 or 8.

It's not so much that they're "safe" for one party or the other, it's that winning in those other states means you're landsliding. Clinton only wins Indiana or Georgia or whatever if she's on the way to 350-400 EVs. Similarly, if Trump is competitive in Minnesota he's probably got 270 in his pocket already.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Boon posted:

I wonder what would happen if Trump came out and openly endorsed Ryan's challenger and denounced Ryan. To wit:
- Ryan still wins reelection and retains Speakership but is likely forced to actually campaign (he's already bought ad buys)
- Ryan retracts endorsement but Trump has preempted him here making it a hollow retractment
- Trump still loses GE, but...
- A laughable amount of infighting erupts on a scale not predictable

Could Ryan even reasonably retract his endorsement? I mean, obviously he could, but the Speaker of the House pulling back his endorsement of his party's candidate for a purely self interested reason seems like a potential disaster. It seems like Trump endorsing Ryan's primary opponent would leave Ryan with literally no acceptable options.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

Isn't John McCain the guy who only got anywhere because of nepotism and who actively caused the deaths of dozens of servicemen on the Forrestal and got away with it because nepotism?

he's also a vietnamese flying ace

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bip Roberts posted:

So does the GOP normally run big GOTV efforts? Clearly it's huge for Ds but I'm not sure if it applies with the R demographics.

Yes, with the understanding and caveat that for both parties -- but much moreso for Republicans -- the GotV effort is largely an effective way of funneling campaign funds into the pockets of political friends and family. There's a very fine line between mail-order scam artists and political campaign workers. For boots on the ground, Republicans have traditionally relied on Evangelical churches; without that wellspring of free labor Republicans usually pay a premium for campaign workers over Democrats, who can rely on the virtually free labor pool of idealistic college students willing to work for pizza and hope.

Trump is hosed for GotV on a lot of levels, and he seems to be exacerbating it by not actually spending any money.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"The Myth of the Robber Barons" :cripes:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My kingdom for a "Trump is a mess, Trump is a waste." tweet from Jeb!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

a shameful boehner posted:

"The Myth of the Robber Barons" :cripes:

"They never held the title of "Baron" nor any other noble appellation, so they cannot be called 'robber barons'" :eng101:"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Jackson Taus posted:

Did she say this in Florida? Because candidates will tell every BG state that they're the most important BG state.

It's not anything she's said, but she's spending much more money there than just about anywhere else.

And when you consider the electoral arithmetic and the established lean of various swing states, it's absolutely true. If she takes Florida, Trump's goose is cooked.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Could Ryan even reasonably retract his endorsement? I mean, obviously he could, but the Speaker of the House pulling back his endorsement of his party's candidate for a purely self interested reason seems like a potential disaster. It seems like Trump endorsing Ryan's primary opponent would leave Ryan with literally no acceptable options.

This is why Trump is so loving bad for the Republicans, he's such a stupid rear end in a top hat that he puts everyone in a completely terrible position where they can't really disagree with him even when he does and says horrible poo poo

Ryan is hosed here, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he's also a vietnamese flying ace

It's the landing part he had trouble with. He's a regular Launchpad McQuack.

• Locked thread