Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So does the GOP normally run big GOTV efforts? Clearly it's huge for Ds but I'm not sure if it applies with the R demographics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

zoux posted:

Latest ad buy nos are in:

If campaign fundamentals matter at all, Trump is doomed.
I'm hoping Minnesota is considered far too safe to buy ads for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/760572393500835840

Casimir Radon posted:

Every state not on that list is considered safe for one party or the other, we've known for a while this election would come down to about 9 states, of which trump needs 7 or 8.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Metapod posted:

I have an idea lets not spend any money on advertising our cause that should work

Considering Trump gets massive amounts of free publicity, it's a sound strategy.

It's also been working so far.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
This picture: has cheered me up more than any amount of alcohol so far today.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Right but they probably solidified their choice once the candidates were set. The point is that they aren't going back and forth and this point, they've already made their decision (even if this time it's weird people are switching from voting R to voting D, but that's because Trump is such a uniquely loving horrible candidate).

I don't think you can be so quick to assume that everyone made up their mind instantly.

This narrative that undecides don't exist at all is false. They just never are as big a group as people pretend. This year might be a peak for true undecideds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

Considering Trump gets massive amounts of free publicity, it's a sound strategy.

It's also been working so far.

It was in the primary. Not so much in the general.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

So does the GOP normally run big GOTV efforts? Clearly it's huge for Ds but I'm not sure if it applies with the R demographics.

Usually they make sure that someone fills out all the ballots for the old people, so they vote for the right candidates.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Holy poo poo he is on purpose loving with Paul Ryan's re-election bid.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/760574882526687232

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Advertising is also about reminding people who don't go looking for political news that 'trump is just as bad as you remember, don't forget to vote for me, Hillary'. and 'I'm not as bad as you've always heard and trump really did just say that. It's not too late to change your mind.'.

Basically motivating people to vote.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

zoux posted:

It was in the primary. Not so much in the general.

It's too early to tell in the general, and this also smacks of the same "common sense election logic" that failed miserably in the primary.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

A bunch of apolitical, traditional "vote reds" that I know are changing from Trump to Hillary because he's a vile human being.

There are most definitely a significant group of people that do not have their minds made up because both the candidates are disliked.

I can confirm this, a couple of guys I know who are WWII re-enactors and gun enthusiasts are pretty cold on Trump and didn't seem too offended when I suggested they should just vote for Hillary last night. This is in Ohio, btw, where I think Trump's support is overstated since we tend to be pretty "nice" people and his remarks are offensive.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

zoux posted:

Holy poo poo he is on purpose loving with Paul Ryan's re-election bid.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/760574882526687232

Didn't Paul Ryan render unto Orange Caesar? Why does he have a hate-boner for him?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh my god

I live near Sparta. I can't wait until this state swings. I'm sick of my home being this disgusting.

If you live in Georgia you know full well that Deal and the rest of the shits running the state are going to steal it if it looks like it could actually go Dem.

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean, I can get unfrozen chicken breast for $1.99 year round at Kroger, but I never really thought of us as a chicken region.

There's also the Farmer's Market down off Dekalb Industrial in Decatur that carried everything and was (is?) expanding in to some massive gigaplex thing. I never had an issue getting good fried chicken in Atlanta but yeah IDK how it'd be considered a chicken region. Having Chic Fil-A headquartered in Atlanta, I guess?

How hasn't the SCOTUS stepped in yet? Aside from it being fated to end up 4-4 with the current makeup? "Robbery isn't enough to permit the death penalty" is something they've already ruled for fucks sake.

Dexo posted:

lol Hillary really thinks PA and VA are safe doesn't she.

Yes, because they are. Tim Kaine takes VA from "almost certainly blue" to "Clinton has to actively make the state hate her to lose it" and PA isn't going to go to Trump since the previous GOP Governor's vote suppression poo poo is largely/entirely undone IIRC, and Trump isn't going to get out the white power vote nearly well enough to overcome PA's demographics.

Metapod posted:

I have an idea lets not spend any money on advertising our cause that should work

Money spent on ads is money Trump doesn't get to keep for himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

It's too early to tell in the general, and this also smacks of the same "common sense election logic" that failed miserably in the primary.

Sorry I'm not actually stupid enough to engage with you, but I'll leave this twitter thread to lay out the different dynamics. Cheers.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

KiteAuraan posted:

Didn't Paul Ryan render unto Orange Caesar? Why does he have a hate-boner for him?
Ryan might have endorsed Trump, but he's denounced an awful lot of Trump's statements lately, oddly (not really) without reconsidering his endorsement. And Trump requires absolute fawning at all times.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Reminder that Nehlen (guy running against Ryan) is basically a Trump lapdog

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
At some point is Trump just going to declare the Republican Party the Trump party and just split off? https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/760573799968505856

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Including copying Trump's strategy of branding his political opponents

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

KiteAuraan posted:

When dealing with a true narcissist, it's not enough to submit. You have to grovel.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

lol how many people do you reach with $15,000 in TV advertising

Dexo posted:

Drunk college kids watching bad TV at like 3 in the morning.

haveblue posted:

Who will assume it's just another Adult Swim avant-garde humor attempt anyway.

Too Many Crooks

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I thought he blacklisted WaPo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Ryan might have endorsed Trump, but he's denounced an awful lot of Trump's statements lately, oddly (not really) without reconsidering his endorsement. And Trump requires absolute fawning at all times.

It's because he withheld it for a few weeks only to drop it on the afternoon that Trump started going after Curiel. (I think that was the terrible scandal that happened on the day Ryan endorsed, but I could be wrong)

Goatman Sacks posted:

Yeah this is the first time hes talked to the paper in like 2 months and its for this poo poo

Journo twitter is losing its poo poo over this btw

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

When dealing with a true narcissist, it's not enough to submit. You have to grovel.

And even that sometimes isn't enough (see: Chris Christie)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

John McCain is an actual American hero and just about the only guy in the GOP that I respect irrespective of his policies. the fact that he has to deal with this rear end in a top hat trying to knock him down a peg or whatever is a loving disaster. Our country is in a poisonous place.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

At some point is Trump just going to declare the Republican Party the Trump party and just split off? https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/760573799968505856

I mean I always had a feeling this was how the GE was going to play out but it's been a dream come true.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Goatman Sacks posted:

Looking for consistent logic from him is a fool's errand

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dexo posted:

lol Hillary really thinks PA and VA are safe doesn't she.

I'd say she thinks Florida would be such an effective knockout punch against Trump that it's a greater priority than any of the more blueish swing states.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

http://www.270towin.com/states/Minnesota

quote:

From 1932 onward, the state has primarily voted Democratic, last voting Republican during Nixon’s landslide victory in 1972.

quote:

Only Washington DC has a longer Democratic winning streak.

It's the second safest Dem Stronghold in the country.

Actually let's go further.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/minnesota

Minnesota Republicans chose Rubio over Trump. The only state to actually do so.

Trump winning Minnesota is impossible.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 2, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I mean him not supporting McCain isn't shocking considering Trump considers him a failure for being caught and undergoing the PoW torture he went through, so i'm not sure what people were expecting TBH

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'd say she thinks Florida would be such an effective knockout punch against Trump that it's a greater priority than any of the more blueish swing states.

Clinton can win without VA or PA (perhaps not without both) but Trump has zero paths without Florida, I think.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

FetusSlapper posted:

This picture: has cheered me up more than any amount of alcohol so far today.

Obama has so big hands compared to someone I've heard of recently.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

John McCain is an actual American hero and just about the only guy in the GOP that I respect irrespective of his policies. the fact that he has to deal with this rear end in a top hat trying to knock him down a peg or whatever is a loving disaster. Our country is in a poisonous place.

Hmm takes a real hero to be too bad at flying jets to napalm farmers without crashing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

I mean him not supporting McCain isn't shocking considering Trump considers him a failure for being caught and undergoing the PoW torture he went through, so i'm not sure what people were expecting TBH

That's not why he's doing it, he's doing it to throw his weight around.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Amergin posted:

The "common sense election logic" was "I'm a pundit, ignore the polls hail satan" and the fix was to not ignore the polls. And the polls look, uh

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm takes a real hero to be too bad at flying jets to napalm farmers without crashing.

Please leave the low effort trolls at the door

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Zophar posted:

Clinton can win without VA or PA but Trump has zero paths without Florida, I think.

Yeah, he has to basically sweep the rest if he can't get Florida, including states that are historically a fair bit bluer than Florida is. She's got more wiggle room to lose certain battlegrounds, due to the plentiful EVs from solid blue states.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Any chance this makes Paul Ryan go 'gently caress it' and reciprocate the middle finger?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ryan is probably not displaying enough fervor in his support for Trump's liking. It's not surprising, I imagine Ryan isn't happy with Trump but what else can he do as speaker but support the party nominee, anything else is political suicide. He certainly doesn't deserve any sympathy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Any chance this makes Paul Ryan go 'gently caress it' and reciprocate the middle finger?

Not really. "I supported him through the judge thing, the muslim thing and the Gold Star thing but not helping me get re-elected? That's a bridge too far"

• Locked thread